• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite’s store bundles data mined

ManaByte

Gold Member
If its true that this is fake, then some people are well and truly SHOOK by how good this game is and the positive buzz it is getting.

there’s a reason so many people are enjoying it, it’s just an amazing game.

It could've been data mined by people without access to the preview build and without that access they were making assumptions about the data they saw.

Dr Bass

Seems to be doing better than this year's Battlefield or Call of Duty, so I guess they made the right decision.

And I don't need to listen to attention whore YouTubers shilling outrage for money. I actually play games to form an opinion on them.

You still haven't explained what GamePass has to do with a F2P game that doesn't require GamePass to access.
I think this has already been explained, but some people are suggesting that this all isn't true so let's see how it pans out.

Regardless, I'll explain again because what GP has to do with F2P in this case is obvious:

GP does not support cost of development.

MS is no longer including MP as part of the 60 dollar campaign/GP offering because ... the model doesn't pull in enough revenue.

Switch to a F2P model for the "MP section" so they can monetize it way, way beyond what people would have spent on a full priced game anyway.

You're essentially giving away a small afterthought portion of the game (the campaign) via GP or letting people spend 60 dollars on it. But we know most people will access it via GP. So the next move is to completely separate the MP section from that portion of the game entirely. They are no longer a package deal. Yay it's free! some people say. But you also no longer get all that content that used to come in the package. You have to pay way more for it, way beyond a full priced game.

So to restate, once more. GP and game sales are not generating the revenue that MS wants to see. They see Halo as a potential cash cow. They split MP from SP, throw SP at GP as a bone, and put MP under a new F2P model where you will spend WAY more to get the kinds of things you want to see in your game. The kinds of things you used to get as part of the 60 dollar game package.

Again the argument has been for years now that GP will not bring in enough revenue to support multiple large scale projects. This move, if true, is such hardcore proof of that notion, I'm not sure what else there is to say.

Now if it's not true, then all of this discussion was for nothing. But if it is, how can you not clearly see the link between this revenue model and what is going on with Game Pass? I also predicted MTX would be a big portion of future games for MS because GP wouldn't cut it. It just all seems so obvious to me personally ...

kingfey

Banned
Starting new threads to bypass a thread ban probably isn't the way to go......but ok.
This is just debunking it. they stopped my access to that thread. The guy I was arguing was mumbling about console stuff. I have no idea why mods though I was doing console warring. I never brought up the console in the first place.

Banjo64

cumsessed
gtqvtu4vg6181.png

Looks like there’s unlockable armour after all.

This is why I prefer a non free to play games. Free to play games are a joke, you have to lack a brain to spend money on small pieces of items in a video game.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think this has already been explained, but some people are suggesting that this all isn't true so let's see how it pans out.

Regardless, I'll explain again because what GP has to do with F2P in this case is obvious:

GP does not support cost of development.

MS is no longer including MP as part of the 60 dollar campaign/GP offering because ... the model doesn't pull in enough revenue.

Switch to a F2P model for the "MP section" so they can monetize it way, way beyond what people would have spent on a full priced game anyway.

You're essentially giving away a small afterthought portion of the game (the campaign) via GP or letting people spend 60 dollars on it. But we know most people will access it via GP. So the next move is to completely separate the MP section from that portion of the game entirely. They are no longer a package deal. Yay it's free! some people say. But you also no longer get all that content that used to come in the package. You have to pay way more for it, way beyond a full priced game.

So to restate, once more. GP and game sales are not generating the revenue that MS wants to see. They see Halo as a potential cash cow. They split MP from SP, throw SP at GP as a bone, and put MP under a new F2P model where you will spend WAY more to get the kinds of things you want to see in your game. The kinds of things you used to get as part of the 60 dollar game package.

Again the argument has been for years now that GP will not bring in enough revenue to support multiple large scale projects. This move, if true, is such hardcore proof of that notion, I'm not sure what else there is to say.

Now if it's not true, then all of this discussion was for nothing. But if it is, how can you not clearly see the link between this revenue model and what is going on with Game Pass? I also predicted MTX would be a big portion of future games for MS because GP wouldn't cut it. It just all seems so obvious to me personally ...

you make some great points and potentially true, but then you say afterthough portion of the game for the single player that seems completely disingenuous. Halos single player has never been an after thought and infinites looks to be the biggest, broadest single player yet.

we will see on your other points as they make sense, whats the point in making a few hundred million on such a big package when you can potentially make billions in the multiplayer alone and also sell the single player. Seems like a good move and one I’m fine with tbh. But I bought the game in theory and dropped money on the battle pass plus 25 level boost to give them some cash.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Could just be about one aspect of it.. I've been sort of wondering how from a data mining they could tell what wasn't unlockable w/o paying.. and specifically, that nothing is unlockable from SP?

Like they could get store bundles as they currently stand in some API, but even that isn't final.. they also appear to be guessing what the prices are, so just seems.. weird.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

you make some great points and potentially true, but then you say afterthough portion of the game for the single player that seems completely disingenuous. Halos single player has never been an after thought and infinites looks to be the biggest, broadest single player yet.

we will see on your other points as they make sense, whats the point in making a few hundred million on such a big package when you can potentially make billions in the multiplayer alone and also sell the single player. Seems like a good move and one I’m fine with tbh. But I bought the game in theory and dropped money on the battle pass plus 25 level boost to give them some cash.
My "afterthought" comment might be a bit much, I'll give you that. I meant it more as in MS sees the real money in the MP portion of the game, which is why it's split out. But sure, I'll concede that point.

Again, I've stated this before. I honestly do not care about the F2P mode. I want companies to be able to support great game development. The move MAKES SENSE to me, even if it ends up costing players more. I spent more than 60 bucks on SFV as I mentioned. That was fine with me though it did get a bit painful after some time ...

I think the combo of GP along with games that have MTX like this are the clear path forward for what MS will likely be doing to support their game efforts in the future. That to me is more honest, and makes more sense than suggesting that GP alone is going to get them where they want to go.

Banned
If it's definitely not true the threads should just be shut down, it's basically a waste of a discussion in that case.

there is conflicting info. because the datamine never said there are no unlockables, the datamine said there are no "armor pieces" you can unlock. what they said they have found was color coatings and icons you can unlock.

noone came out yet (to my knowledge) and definitely confirm unlockable armor pieces

but also the dataming only includes the first few missions apparently, so who knows what's up

Last edited:

Dr Bass

If youre retarded enough to buy skins with real money, you should have your pockets emptied. Sad on 343s part getting money from the mentally disabled.
Bullcrap. Customizing characters is fun. Everyone knows it, which is why it might be getting put behind somewhat of a paywall.

Oh no, people want to have fun with their games. IMO there is nothing wrong with spending a couple bucks to visually customize your character if that's how the game is set up. You call that mentally disabled? Get out of here with that crap.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
That still makes no sense whatsoever.

Your Wallmart example is more akin to walking into a GameStop and getting upset that purchasing a single games doesn't give you access to every other game on the shelves, which is not what's being discussed here.

The appropriate example is walking into a Wallmart, going into the furniture section, picking out a chair that you like, and then finding out that the chair only includes the base and two feet, whilst the leather seating, head-pillow, armrests and everything else has been relegated to $1000 worth of "extra's", even though five years ago that same chair was $100 with everything included.

I know it won't change your mind, since as long as it's 'free to play' there are apparently no limits to what a company can do (such as change the entire financial structure of their products to target addicts), but if you're going to make these kinds of comparisons, at least try to be somewhat accurate.

Your failure to comprehend the example properly doesn't invalidate it. Your counter arguement to it as it makes no sense in that you aren't getting the chair for free. And also the chair even if free, would include everything needed to use properly, you would just be upset it doesn't come with every color of pillow for free. That's the part Your completely ignoring, is that Halo infinite is fully playable and usable at no cost.

Last edited:

jakinov

Over $1k to buy everything.

I’m happy with the F2P direction of the game, however 343 need to get some backlash over this.
Why do you need to own everything? This is the same nonsense people bring up when a new streaming service appears with new shows. Yeah It's going to cost you more. Just like it cost you more when there's a new fast food restuarnat and you want to buy everything. They aren't going to keep creating new things and just give them away for free because if you bought everything it would be really expensive. Epscially if everything that they create to add incurs a cost.

This is hardly new for free to play, there's F2P games with 1000+ skins and they cost 10-50$. Most people won't buy everything and skins aren't exactly cheap to make. People think it's just a digital skin. But the labor involved cost money and not every skin will get a bunch of sales.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Why do you need to own everything? This is the same nonsense people bring up when a new streaming service appears with new shows. Yeah It's going to cost you more. Just like it cost you more when there's a new fast food restuarnat and you want to buy everything. They aren't going to keep creating new things and just give them away for free because if you bought everything it would be really expensive. Epscially if everything that they create to add incurs a cost.

This is hardly new for free to play, there's F2P games with 1000+ skins and they cost 10-50$. Most people won't buy everything and skins aren't exactly cheap to make. People think it's just a digital skin. But the labor involved cost money and not every skin will get a bunch of sales.

It'll cost nearly $1,000 to own every League of Legends character, and THOSE ACTUALLY AFFECT GAMEPLAY.

That doesn't even factor in the purely cosmetic skins that don't affect gameplay at all.

Hezekiah

Banned
Remember it's free guys

Its free remember, oh single player is the same price as a full game that would normally have come with the same multiplayer suite, but its free guys. Remember that it being free means none of this matters as the base game is free and you earn great things like the colour blue in 200 hours for free and maybe 5 challange swaps.

Its free guys that means no criticism is allowed as its free and I play it for free, I haven't paid a cent as its free oh apart from the 10$ battle pass and the 20$ armour skin because those look cool but they gave the game away for free so it's nothing.

Its free so why don't people who keep saying it's free post a screen of there a helmet unlocks to show us how free it is so we can see that there's no lock icon on the not free 20$ helm in this tottaly free game that they have spent money on, that they keep saying is free.

Stop it guys... its free
Better used to it, we'll be seeing more of it under this platform approach.

Batiman

Banned
As I said in another thread. It’s fuckin crazy how serious people are about these things. I’ll be wrecking fuckers wearing basic armor. I just like playing

S0ULZB0URNE

EDIT: Maybe debunked:

gtqvtu4vg6181.png

I put this in the multiplayer thread but think it needs its own thread.

Over $1k to buy everything.

I’m happy with the F2P direction of the game, however 343 need to get some backlash over this.

IMO classic armour sets like Gungnir should be battle pass level 100 awards. They should only be putting new and crazy skins on the store like the ones added to the MCC recently.

Wtf

IDappa

Incorrect I only have to pay 10 a month for campaign on gamepass that comes with 200 odd other games I can play and I get multi for free without having to spend a dime on it. I also get free map packs and ongoing feature support with multi for free, reckon I'm saving heaps.

Edit: have people forgotten that map pack dlc was a thing?. All it did was split the user base and at the end of a games lifespan you would be out a couple hundred. If you enjoyed the game you would be forced to buy them to actually keep finding matches regularly.

Last edited:

Banned
Incorrect I only have to pay 10 a month for campaign on gamepass that comes with 200 odd other games I can play and I get multi for free without having to spend a dime on it. I also get free map packs and ongoing feature support with multi for free, reckon I'm saving heaps.

Halo 5 also gave you free maps and had a way less extreme monetization scheme... Infinite is a step down, that's simply a fact. and if you have gamepass you can also play that "for free"

and then there is the Master Chief collection which literally had 6 free battlepasses with compltely new stuff + all the content from the original games

Last edited:

IDappa

Halo 5 also gave you free maps and had a way less extreme monetization scheme... Infinite is a step down, that's simply a fact. and if you have gamepass you can also play that "for free"
I did enjoy halo 5's system tbh. I will say I think the variety in paid and free stuff in infinite is lacking however I will wait to see how it looks come full release.

Edit. When I say system I mean customisation. Also didn't halo 5 come out pre gamepass?.

Last edited:

IDappa

and then there is the Master Chief collection which literally had 6 free battlepasses with compltely new stuff + all the content from the original games
It's obvious at some point between the two games their monetization scheme shifted to what halo infinite is however I will say again I will fully judge how this system is come release. In regards to customisation and what the free player gets and also the paid player as I think the BP has to much filler shit.

After a couple of days of play I do think the levelling system is dumb. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they made it the way they did to buy them some time for the full release where they will give out the content that's not complete.

On a another interesting note I can't believe I've seen people running lol 100 BP items already.

RafterXL

Imagine getting pissed about this even if it were true. Now imagine getting this pissed off and then finding out it's not true.

Some of y'all need to touch grass.

IntentionalPun

-NEWS FLASH-
Halo infinite is a $60 game too!

a4HvqJD.png

-NEWS FLASH-

You don't have to buy it to play the multiplayer.

Separate the 2 and judge accordingly. If you don't think the SP is worth $60 don't buy it.. if you don't think the F2P is worth.. I dunno $0, don't play it.

The MP being F2P has plusses and minuses.. it's all fair to discuss.. but you keep correcting people that Halo Infinite costs money while proclaiming Halo 5 stuff "free." It's a bit silly.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
This is why I prefer a non free to play games. Free to play games are a joke, you have to lack a brain to spend money on small pieces of items in a video game.
But with it being free to play it means it's.....free to play. You don't need to spend a cent. The game is great fun and you get to play it for free, with all maps and modes etc being free. How can you complain about that?

Last edited:

Banned
-NEWS FLASH-

You don't have to buy it to play the multiplayer.

Separate the 2 and judge accordingly. If you don't think the SP is worth $60 don't buy it.. if you don't think the F2P is worth.. I dunno $0, don't play it.

it's not about "if it's worth it" it's about IT BEING LITERALLY WORSE than Halo 5 in almost every regard.

let's say you like the gameplay of both games equally (which I don't, fuck Halo 5) and you compare the 2... if you honestly say Infinite is better or even equally as good I question your sanity.

Halo 5 launched with about 5x the amount of modes, about 10x the amount of armor customization, it launched with Coop, forge came only a month after launch, more maps... and you could unlock everything for free through req packs that you could unlock basically after every other round you played.

the way they should have done it is to make the MP free 2 play with all the free 2 play bullshit in place, but give owners of the $60 version at least as much unlockable stuff as Halo Reach, 4 or 5 had, at no additional cost

tmlDan

It'll cost nearly $1,000 to own every League of Legends character, and THOSE ACTUALLY AFFECT GAMEPLAY.

That doesn't even factor in the purely cosmetic skins that don't affect gameplay at all.
You really need to stop comparing it to league, when league came out it was one of the first and potentially the first massive F2P game that existed and it didn't have models to compare to.

Halo on the other hand has a ton of other models to look at, and all of them are either cheaper or give you better cosmetics.

I don't think it's outrageous to do, but they should give you some free gear for time spent which they might still do because the BP cosmetics are pretty crap. I'm sure it'll get better in future seasons but people like complaining.

ManaByte

Gold Member
You really need to stop comparing it to league, when league came out it was one of the first and potentially the first massive F2P game that existed and it didn't have models to compare to.

Halo on the other hand has a ton of other models to look at, and all of them are either cheaper or give you better cosmetics.

I don't think it's outrageous to do, but they should give you some free gear for time spent which they might still do because the BP cosmetics are pretty crap. I'm sure it'll get better in future seasons but people like complaining.

People who have access to the final game (who are under embargo) are saying this whole thing is BS, which likely means you unlock cosmetics in the campaign mode.

IntentionalPun

it's not about "if it's worth it" it's about IT BEING LITERALLY WORSE than Halo 5 in almost every regard.

let's say you like the gameplay of both games equally (which I don't, fuck Halo 5) and you compare the 2... if you honestly say Infinite is better or even equally as good I question your sanity.

And I was just pointing out you need to stop calling anything related to past Halo's "free", as none of that content was ever available w/o having bought the games first.

Better, worse, whatever.. have your opinion, but you get all pedantic repeatedly pointing out that Halo Infinite SP costs money and are fast and loose w/ calling anything related to past Halo's free. There is precisely 1 free Halo product ever.. Halo Infinite MP.

I personally couldn't care less; but if you can't see why some people like the new way of doing things I don't get it. Some people just want to play MP and don't care about cosmetics. So it's literally just a free game for them... there's nothing insane about that.

Last edited:

Banned
And I was just pointing out you need to stop calling anything related to past Halo's "free", as none of that content was ever available w/o having bought the games first.

Better, worse, whatever.. have your opinion, but you get all pedantic repeatedly pointing out that Halo Infinite SP costs money and are fast and loose w/ calling anything related to past Halo's free. There is precisely 1 free Halo product ever.. Halo Infinite MP.

I personally couldn't care less; but if you can't see why some people like the new way of doing things I don't get it. Some people just want to play MP and don't care about cosmetics. So it's literally just a free game for them... there's nothing insane about that.

having additional new features and maps added post launch at no additional cost, is FREE new stuff... even if the base game was not free. that is especially true if this new stuff was never advertised before launch.

another thing to bring up is the fact that GamePass exists, and with that in place literally every GamePass subscriber is getting a worse deal due to this. they get ONLY a campaign and no multiplayer, but instead have this free 2 play MP that is stripped down like crazy and monetized almost as badly as you can push it without outright killing the game.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Remember it's free guys

Its free remember, oh single player is the same price as a full game that would normally have come with the same multiplayer suite, but its free guys. Remember that it being free means none of this matters as the base game is free and you earn great things like the colour blue in 200 hours for free and maybe 5 challange swaps.

Its free guys that means no criticism is allowed as its free and I play it for free, I haven't paid a cent as its free oh apart from the 10$ battle pass and the 20$ armour skin because those look cool but they gave the game away for free so it's nothing.

Its free so why don't people who keep saying it's free post a screen of there a helmet unlocks to show us how free it is so we can see that there's no lock icon on the not free 20$ helm in this tottaly free game that they have spent money on, that they keep saying is free.

Stop it guys... its free
e9JJRMW.gif

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
having additional new features and maps added post launch at no additional cost, is FREE new stuff... even if the base game was not free. that is especially true if this new stuff was never advertised before launch.

another thing to bring up is the fact that GamePass exists, and with that in place literally every GamePass subscriber is getting a worse deal due to this. they get ONLY a campaign and no multiplayer, but instead have this free 2 play MP that is stripped down like crazy and monetized almost as badly as you can push it without outright killing the game.

They also don’t get Fireteam. Or Forge (until months after launch). And so far all the unlocks we know of in the campaign are banners, icons, stances, And colours. The last of which we got for free in very halo game prior.

Everyone is getting a worse deal out of this.

ManaByte

Gold Member
they get ONLY a campaign and no multiplayer, but instead have this free 2 play MP that is stripped down like crazy and monetized almost as badly as you can push it without outright killing the game.

Serious question, have you even booted Halo Infinite yet?

If so, how did you miss this?
41sJmxn.jpg

Both the campaign and MP are accessed right from the main menu. So the people paying $60 for the game (or playing it on GP) have access to the MP right there in the menu just like every other Halo ever made.

Dr Bass

Edit: have people forgotten that map pack dlc was a thing?. All it did was split the user base and at the end of a games lifespan you would be out a couple hundred. If you enjoyed the game you would be forced to buy them to actually keep finding matches regularly.
I'm not sure what your point is. F2P affects people differently because there are people who use it like you do, while others are "whales," with a whole lot of others in between.

Three

You know this game is free, right?
Take advice from the worst excuses for defending a game:

"free game no bitching" became a meme in my favorite game. Sadly some people use this talking point unironically.

(this "free" game makes enough money to feed something like 120+ devs)

It's "free" yet campaign is still $60 and has features missing from previous games. It's clear this f2p model is the priority and you will likely be paying a subscription for this stuff too in addition to your season pass. Every major publisher has moved in this direction of trying to get engagement then milk you dry. It's just sad where it's going.

IDappa

I'm not sure what your point is. F2P affects people differently because there are people who use it like you do, while others are "whales," with a whole lot of others in between.
Well you straight out said you have to pay more for it rather than spend 60 for a buy to play game. I simply said that's incorrect as it turns out you you can play it for a bargain.

Interesting you didnt state who it affects on your initial post. So if I'm understanding this correctly it's only a small percentage of players "the whales" who will be paying more for the product. So the majority of people won't actually be paying more.

Top Bottom