• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite: 1.5 months from launch, where is the single player trailer?

Andodalf

Banned
We got a trailer last year which was more exciting from a gameplay perspective than anything else. It was like an unedited 8 minutes of footage, which I think is a longer continuous amount of footage than we saw of any other game before the consoles launched. That was a year and a half before launch! They’ve shown more with that than COD or BF.

VN1X

Banned
We all love to dunk on Infinte and stuff but I really wonder what went wrong here. Was it a case of Microsoft mismanaging a studio (once again) or just 343i being their own worst enemy (again)?

We're talking about MS biggest flagship title that wasn't ready to release on day 1 let alone a year after as, apparently, they're still struggling with delivering the full package on time. Truly bizarre.

Last edited:

Sanepar

200.gif

i smell a delay
I smell a good mp game and a bad sp game, that's why they are hiding sp.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
As others have said. I just want it to look as good as the 2018 trailer. That looked good enough. And with the added horsepower of Series X it should by all means look better.

hopefully they’ve implemented some good RT GI oand/or reflections for the series version.

Ammogeddon

I’m optimistic it’ll release 8th December. If it doesn’t I’m not really bothered though.

I haven’t kept up with any developer updates. Have they said what they’ve been doing with the extra year?

An extra year is a pretty decent amount of time to make improvements right?

GriffinCorp

I'm betting their holding off to drop just before it's release date. Maybe around Thanksgiving.

I don't know if I'll hope for the 2018 trailer but I think they've probably polished the game up nicely.

I really have been looking forward to jumping back into a Halo game. I never finished 5, just lost interest and never wanted to go back.

The multiplayer looks fun and I hope it's a great homerun hit for Microsoft.

MOTM

Banned
Was the gameplay trailer really THAT horrendous? I think it is definitely exaggerated.

230k likes, 37k dislikes.

As a game it doesn't look bad at all, could just look a little better visually.

I think the majority of halo fans were happy tbh.

I know this is one of them "concern" threads, but surely you realise after Forza lands, we will probably see more than enough halo campaign footage, as that will be the focus for the marketing team then.

Concern thread? I’m an Xbox guy in and out.

That trailer is okay if it wasn’t for a totally new instalment for a next gen flagship Halo.

That trailer didn’t come close to the hype or expectations you would have for such a game given the context.

You’re right it wasn’t horrendous, gameplay looked fine and everything but it was underwhelming to say the least.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

That trailer is okay if it wasn’t for a totally new instalment for a next gen flagship Halo.

That trailer didn’t even come close to the hype or expectations you would have for such a game given the context.

That trailer should have been ripped to shreds by anyone who even remotely values gameplay innovation/evolution. Gameplay loop ripped straight out of 2003.

The Halo Defense in this thread seems to be coming off a little strong.

I don't see the issue with asking why there isnt a trailer, or a marketing hype machine, pumping out content a month or so.

There was that tech update event, I guess. But I guess everyone is just wanting to see how "improved" the graphics are by now.

Also, saying that this game is a sure fire hit, or GOTY, is laughable as the last GOTY worth Halo game was Halo 3 🤷🏽‍♂️

GiggiN88

Neo Member
Exactly. Until at least every Xbox One owner signs up to Gamepass then that shortage argument doesn’t really make sense.
As far as I know, it will be on GamePass. Campaign included into GamePass, the Multiplayer is completely free to play (without GamePass). Or am I wrong?

As far as I know, it will be on GamePass. Campaign included into GamePass, the Multiplayer is completely free to play (without GamePass). Or am I wrong?
correct

Waste of cash given the xbox supply problems.

Good thing there's Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X, xCloud, and most of all PC. Another good thing is if you buy it on Xbox or PC, you get it for every console and the PC version, and if you buy it for last gen, you get the free upgrade for next-gen. It's also on Gamepass Day 1. No one loses here, only you.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oh for real, I haven’t watched this before. This is the same situation Killzone 2 was in on the ps3
At this point we really don’t know what it was, maybe it was a prerendered concept guestimate on what they thought XSX could do 🤷‍♂️ It was badly communicated anyway and while it did good things for Halo and Xbox hype in 2018 it certainly did bad things for PR in 2020.

Andodalf

Banned

That trailer didn’t come close to the hype or expectations you would have for such a game given the context.

You’re right it wasn’t horrendous, gameplay looked fine and everything but it was underwhelming to say the least.

Other than graphics, everything was very exciting in that video. It went from cutscene to gameplay with no load, showed a big ole map, showed exciting new equipment and an overall design that respected the traditions of the franchise.

MiguelItUp

Considering what they've shown us over the months, I wouldn't be surprised if they just randomly drop it on a day whenever they're ready. I was thinking the VGAs but it's gonna be out by then, lol.

Concern

Halo has always had some of the best marketing campaigns or fan projects

Starry Night "Halo 3"

Believe "Halo 3"

Think this was a fan project I'm not sure but absolutely love this on ODST

Remember Reach Trailer

Only problem is you're missing one tiny detail there..... Bungie lol.

We have no clue what direction these guys are going even from that first teaser years ago. Hope they can deliver but im only cautiously optimistic after the flight tests.

Tbf its gotta be hard to take over someone else's creation and build your own story in an already established universe with a very established protagonist. Im positive Bungie's Halo 4 and 5 would have been significantly different from 343's.

kikkis

correct

Good thing there's Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X, xCloud, and most of all PC. Another good thing is if you buy it on Xbox or PC, you get it for every console and the PC version, and if you buy it for last gen, you get the free upgrade for next-gen. It's also on Gamepass Day 1. No one loses here, only you.
How do I lose and what exactly? I already have game pass ultimate and series x should come next week

NahaNago

I'll echo what folks have said about the gameplay trailer. The gameplay that they showed for the campaign was alright but it just didn't impress and almost felt average, especially after the last of us gameplay and ghost of tsushima( let's not even mention the ps4 killzone visuals). Now that original trailer that they showed in 2018 looked pretty good with it's lively world with the animals but unfortunately I'm pretty sure that was a fake gameplay or cg trailer simply made to hype folks up for halo.

Since the game is going to be on gamepass anyways they should just delay the campaign if isn't ready and focus solely on the mp since that is what folks seem to be saying is really good right now. Honestly gamepass is their get out of jail free card now. They can release parts of a game or even chapters of game due to gamepass since any first party title is going to go their anyways.

Last edited:

Gargauth

I know the world doesnt work this way but it would be so refreshing if they skipped the marketing hype machine and let the game present itself for what it is.

Won't have the budget of older Halo releases. Multi is free and campaign is included with gamepass. Infinite is a value add at the moment I think.

One thing is for sure it is going to be interesting how the campaign sales go. Down due to free multi, up due to cross platform and an mixed bag between showings of campaign and tech previews.

I just want it large enough to have a great Aussie population playing and/or PvE content long term.

Kuranghi

So will you explore an open map in this game and come across hidden areas/bases with some sort of reward (i don't mean instanced loot or anything like that, I hope not anyway) or what? Is it "wide-linear" or true open world?

get tae fuck! 😂That was 8 minutes of gameplay that needed polish. It wasn’t a trailer, and it wasn’t horrendous.
Today I learned that gameplay trailers are indeed, in actuality, not a trailer, even though it explicitly states it's a gameplay trailer.

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

You learn something new every day.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Prob spent to much last year marketing, all them Doritos and Mnt Dew (I assume). Can totally see it’s not coming out this year for sure.

clarky

Gold Member
What's with all the concern?

We've had a couple of betas, a couple of story trailers, a gameplay demo and I'm sure we'll get either a launch trailer and another story trailer or both before December.

If they were delaying again we'd know by now.

If the lack of co-op bothers you delay yourself until it's ready.

jakinov

When do you think they are going to re-reveal the single player?

Since the horrendous trailer last year and 1 year delay, they’ve kind of rebooted the reveal process of this game but we still don’t have anything new for the single player.

Besides COD which is on an annual basis, I don’t know of any AAA publisher that gets so close to launch without a proper reveal trailer 🤔
It's almost 2 months away. Launch (i.e. story) trailers are usually the week before. Game previews/walkthrough usually come a week or two before launch.

From a marketing point of view, the closer to launch the better unless you are trying to align with some marketing event that brings more buzz.

Sony didn't show a lot Last of Us 2 or Ghosts gameplay until very close to release. I also believe there wasn't much gameplay for Miles Morales until close to release either.

fatmarco

People saying "we already have campaign footage/gameplay". The implication of the delay was that it was, in part, going to be used to fix the games graphics (which we've seen elements of in the MP).

They've shown snippets and teasers here and there, but they haven't actually shown this new and improved halo infinite campaign properly. The initial reveal, despite fan claims, was humiliating and they need to address that in some way before launch, particularly as they've made clear separation between SP and MP for this game.

Also the idea that they're too focused on fixing bugs to make a trailer is complete bullshit. Sure, maybe constructing a full demo again is problematic, but you're telling me they can't take snippets of play testing in combination with whatever cutscenes they've mostly finished and have someone make a trailer?

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I'm not holding my breath that it'll look anything other than unremarkable, the sheer blandness and lack of realism of anything i've seen so far makes it look like a last gen game and a bad one at that.. i honestly cant beleive how fucked up MS made of this, this shouldve been a system seller for Series X tbh

Sakura

Only problem is you're missing one tiny detail there..... Bungie lol.

We have no clue what direction these guys are going even from that first teaser years ago. Hope they can deliver but im only cautiously optimistic after the flight tests.

Tbf its gotta be hard to take over someone else's creation and build your own story in an already established universe with a very established protagonist. Im positive Bungie's Halo 4 and 5 would have been significantly different from 343's.
Halo 5 had some pretty great marketing though.
It didn't really have anything to do with the actual story in the game, of course.

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm not holding my breath that it'll look anything other than unremarkable, the sheer blandness and lack of realism of anything i've seen so far makes it look like a last gen game and a bad one at that.. i honestly cant beleive how fucked up MS made of this, this shouldve been a system seller for Series X tbh

I mean it is. Same as Miles, same as Far Cry 6, same as Horizon etc.

And it was delayed a year because it specifically looked 'bad' lol.

That's why we all want to see it again, to see if there actually has been a jump in the visuals or not.

Top Bottom