• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite campaign co-op won’t support online matchmaking

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

It means players who don’t have a friend to play with will need to seek out a teammate themselves using other channels.

“Online matchmaking will not be available with final co-op,” a Microsoft spokesperson told GamesRadar.

“We encourage you to continue to use the Halo LFG and the new Discord voice call feature on Xbox to find players to party up with as you continue playing the beta.”

Banned
“Online matchmaking will not be available with final co-op,”

yet another feature that even Halo Reach had back in 2010 is too hard to implement in 2022... jesus christ this game

but the world is healing!
2XDPTsb.png

Last edited:

Stuart360

yet another feature that even Halo Reach had back in 2010 is too hard to implement in 2022... jesus christ this game

but the world is healing!
2XDPTsb.png
I still think the main reason why Infinite is dropping is that it has such little content, especially compared to MCC which must have 20 times the content, literally. MCC was always going to overtake it at some point, it was just a matter of when.

I still loved the campaign, and my 80 hours in Infinite MP. 343 need a massive kick up the backside though.

Last edited:

Banned
I still think the main reason why Infinite is dropping is that it has such little content, especially compared to MCC which must have 20 times the content, literally. MCC was always going to overtake it at some point, it was just a matter of when.

I still loved the campaign, and my 80 hours in Infinite MP. 343 need a massive kick up the backside though.

I think it is a bunch of reasons. the progression is pure shit with game ruining challenges, and then there's the lack of content compared to older Halos of course too.

also I think Infinite is lacking that Halo touch of older games. they removed all the physics interactivity basically, BTB is unbalanced and weird, the matchmaking system is manipulative, the ranked system is fundamentally broken, all the socual aspects are gone... there's a lot wrong with it.

and then there's the current landscape with lots of competition

Last edited:

Nydius

343 is a hot mess. Every game they've released since Halo 4 has needed literal years to become feature complete. Halo 5, Halo: MCC, and now Halo Infinite all launched in barebone or broken states, needing years of bug fixing and content additions just to get them up to snuff. Compare that to Bungie who, on a shorter turnaround, kept adding features to each of their Halo games including unprecedented levels of online/web connectivity like being able to look at post-match reports and weapon use heat maps mere minutes after a match was complete.

Meanwhile, 343 can barely keep Halo Waypoint's forums functional...

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Halo Infinite dissapointment.

(been honestly waiting for coop from release date but im not even interested in playing this game anymore, its been so long i dont care)

Last edited:
As time passes, it’s becoming clear that this game needed a few more years of development but they probably didn’t want to wait that long and decided to release it knowing it would take years to be completed.

A live service game shouldn’t lack this much content especially when historically the older games had more content and features on day 1.

Last edited:
As time passes, it’s becoming clear that this game needed a few more years of development but they probably didn’t want to wait that long and decided to release it knowing it would take years to be completed.

A live service game shouldn’t lack this much content especially when historically the older games had more content and features on day 1.
The campaign felt like they got the gameplay right but forgot to include any actual story, the last "level" was basically a single player horde mode. I'm guessing they made a lot of cuts in that last year or so. Having so many top people leave a year plus before development was done probably didn't help.

Robb

Gold Member
Another really strange decision/limitation, especially when they’ve taken this long to even add it in the first place..

Nydius

So, just like Destiny and all the previous Halos? Why are people pretending like this a common feature? Have you actually played Halo before? 🤔
Have you?

Bungie-era Halo continually added new features and gameplay modes with a faster turn around between games.

Halo 2 kicked off online multiplayer that set the benchmark.
Halo 3 added more online game types, 4 player campaign coop, online stat and match tracking, and Forge.
Halo 3: ODST added Firefight.
Halo Reach added class loadouts (for better or worse), and expanded Forge.

Beginning with late Halo 2 and continuing through Reach, Bungie communicated weekly and would provide detailed analysis of popular maps and modes, including weapon and death heatmaps so the community could see how each map was playing and why certain changes were being made.

Then Bungie parted ways and both Bungie (with Destiny) and Halo (with 343i) went to shit. 343I hasn't come close to delivering a feature complete product on the level of Halo 3 or Halo Reach in the last decade of managing the property. The closest they came was with Halo 4. Meanwhile, they're trying to add fucking microtransactions to the classic MCC games, games they nearly mismanaged into the ground and took years to restore properly.

Last edited:

Sorne

Have you?

Bungie-era Halo continually added new features and gameplay modes with a faster turn around between games.

Halo 3 added more online game types, 4 player campaign coop, online stat and match tracking, and Forge.

Beginning with late Halo 2 and continuing through Reach, Bungie communicated weekly and would provide detailed analysis of popular maps and modes, including weapon and death heatmaps so the community could see how each map was playing and why certain changes were being made.

Then Bungie parted ways and both Bungie (with Destiny) and Halo (with 343i) went to shit. 343I hasn't come close to delivering a feature complete product on the level of Halo 3 or Halo Reach in the last decade of managing the property. The closest they came was with Halo 4. Meanwhile, they're trying to add fucking microtransactions to the classic MCC games, games they nearly mismanaged into the ground and took years to restore properly.
But this is not the argument ? It's not about how many features are missing from Infinite. Because I agree, it's so lackluster compared to older halo's.

But the argument is that the previous halo games didn't have campaign matchmaking as well (not even for firefight too, as far as I remember) so this just seems like outrage for outrage sake.

Ozriel

M$FT
Have you?

Can you please focus on the point he raised? is this truly how the previous Halo games have handled campaign co-op or not?

Because that’s what the thread is about, and if that’s how it’s always been, this is a nothingburger.

cormack12

Gold Member
Can you campaign matchmake in MCC? never tried it but if you can I'll deffo be doing some more runs through it.

No excuse for no matchmaking though. Had the same issue with godfall. But I think it might be because it's not drop in/drop out. They've chose to play thr campaign on dedicated save slots. I think no matchmaking is a result of that decision.

Codes 208

Are these people insane?

You make a co-op mode without matchmaking? Wut? And then tell people to go to discord if they're looking for other players, are you serious?

Pathetic.
Best part? We had to wait for this feature. Co-op is still only available via the flight betas.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
A list of servers, click one, play.
Why is joining a session in the FPS realm still more complicated than that?

Last edited:

Goalus

Are these people insane?

You make a co-op mode without matchmaking? Wut? And then tell people to go to discord if they're looking for other players, are you serious?

Pathetic.
At least there is a coop mode at all. They could have removed the complete multiplayer mode and sell it as a new full-priced game.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

Agreed, I just started playing Infinite again, the BR mode with more than one map is actually excellent. I got sick of it when they last did a battle pass / challenge season / whatever it's called, because though they introduced a single new map for the mode, it was the same map every time.

With what feels like 4 maps on rotation in 4v4, I, like many, got bored and played something else.

The question needs to be asked over and over and over though, what the hell are 343 doing post launch? Surely the map designers aren't doing bug fixes! 2 maps since launch? WTAF?

I love Halo, I think what they've released is great, but ffs, wheres the rest of it? Personally, think they should have made a campaign and 4v4 - with a reasonable number of maps - it seems like they don't have capacity to get everything else done, and trying to do everything is impacting what they can get done elsewhere.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I see a bazillion complaints on here, how many of you planned on playing halo missions online with strangers? 2%? 5%?
Looks like just one more reason to bitch about 323 than an actual problem for most people.
There's definitely going to be some of that here on console wars central, but to some degree, while I couldn't care less about co-op the question is fair, why are 343 half assing this again? Halo should be setting the standard, not limping along trying to keep up.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I guess people with no halo friends will need to matchmake on places like here. Pretty disappointing.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Let me guess, no split screen either? I don't understand why a supposed AAA franchise/developer can't make this right in this age.

It's Halo, not Haze.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm an old school Halo fan, I'll be playing coop with existing friends, no problem. HOWEVER, I need to grab the opportunity to say that 343 continue to be such a hot mess. MS should've disbanded 343 and given Halo to another capable developer in-house or outsourced after Halo 4 already. The evidence was clear enough back then that 343 wasn't capable of handling it. Again; Halo Infinite without coop and BR at launch= WTF LOL.

Keep overpromising and underdelivering.
Nice.

If they would just shut up and don't act like Halo is this huge thing anymore and they're a top notch developer, that's all fine.
But if you want to be the face of Xbox, you have to get shit done.

Really sad to see. And even I can't defend much of this anymore.
What about Raytracing by the way? Will that come at any point?

hemo memo

Gold Member
I see a bazillion complaints on here, how many of you planned on playing halo missions online with strangers? 2%? 5%?
Looks like just one more reason to bitch about 323 than an actual problem for most people.
What if all my friends don’t have the same type in games as me or have different times so we can’t play together so what choice do I have other than strangers? It is the same as look for Discord/Forums and ask for someone to play, take his/her username, add them then play. 323 is just adding extra steps to do the exact same thing which is playing with a stranger.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
There's definitely going to be some of that here on console wars central, but to some degree, while I couldn't care less about co-op the question is fair, why are 343 half assing this again? Halo should be setting the standard, not limping along trying to keep up.

It's not half asking anything if your devoting time and or energy to features that are most requested. If thier analytics 99% of Halo gamers of Halo play coop with a known friend, I'd drop it too. Waste of time and resources I can put towards other features or our next game.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
I honestly feel sorry for Halo fans. I played the masterchief collection with random online drops as well as with a friend. This is basic stuff. It’s Dark Souls level of co-op. Fucking Returnal has co-op matchmaking.
Can you even matchmake for coop campaign in the MCC or any previous halo for that matter?

Ozriel

M$FT

‘Again’?
If you’re now aware that Halo hasn’t ever offered matchmaking with ransoms for co-op campaign, and if you assume that the vast majority of folks want to play co-op with ‘friends’, how is unwillingness to support that now ‘half-assing’ the feature?

Keep overpromising and underdelivering.
Nice.

If they would just shut up and don't act like Halo is this huge thing anymore and they're a top notch developer, that's all fine.
But if you want to be the face of Xbox, you have to get shit done.

Really sad to see. And even I can't defend much of this anymore.

“If you won’t put this feature that barely anyone would use and hasn’t been in a Halo game before, just admit you’re a shit tier developer and close shop”.

I'm an old school Halo fan, I'll be playing coop with existing friends, no problem. HOWEVER, I need to grab the opportunity to say that 343 continue to be such a hot mess. MS should've disbanded 343 and given Halo to another capable developer in-house or outsourced after Halo 4 already. The evidence was clear enough back then that 343 wasn't capable of handling it. Again; Halo Infinite without coop and BR at launch= WTF LOL.

And now the feature set has expanded to include Battle Royale at launch.

‘Old school Halo fan’, but you’re attacking 343 for not having a feature that hasn’t been in any of the old school Halo games ?

What if all my friends don’t have the same type in games as me or have different times so we can’t play together so what choice do I have other than strangers? It is the same as look for Discord/Forums and ask for someone to play, take his/her username, add them then play. 323 is just adding extra steps to do the exact same thing which is playing with a stranger.

Seriously?

yvMym4t.jpg

Top Bottom