• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite campaign co-op won’t support online matchmaking

“If you won’t put this feature that barely anyone would use and hasn’t been in a Halo game before, just admit you’re a shit tier developer and close shop”.

They've done this for forever.
Oh look. Here is the 10th feature that barely anyone would use you don' put into the game, yet pomised.

343 isn't a top tier developer. that's a fact.
You can't be that, after you make 3 games in a row that under deliver.

Halo 4 was their best work. Let that sink in.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Did halo ever have matchmaking for co op? I've done legendary runs on every one and never seen matchmaking for co op. I always just invite my buds.

Why would you do co op with randoms?

Saying that, 343 are a joke and this launch has been shocking but I'm still doing a 4 player legendary co op run.

I’m a casual Halo fan, and while I generally agree the 343 games aren’t as good as the original Bungie ones, I at least felt the campaign in 4 was good, and the Multiplayer in 5 was good.

Infinite seems like they made both the Campaign and Multiplayer “good enough,” while being unable to provide basic ass features for some reason. It’s honestly ridiculous and while I had some fun with the free multiplayer I’m glad I never spent money on it or the Campaign because it’s hard to justify doing so on something that’s been in the oven this long and still isn’t cooked.

Ozriel

M$FT
They've done this for forever.
Oh look. Here is the 10th feature that barely anyone would use you don' put into the game, yet pomised.

Can you share where 343 promised to have online matchmaking for campaign co-op?

343 isn't a top tier developer. that's a fact.
You can't be that, after you make 3 games in a row that under deliver.

An AAA developer, making SP/MP games with reviews that hover in the 80 - 90% range. Last game at 87% MC with 17 GOTY awards.

That sounds like top-tier to me. And clearly, Microsoft treats them that way.

They’ve screwed up with Halo Infinite’s development and post-launch content release cadence. Largely due to essentially rebooting the game mid-development. Execution is lacking…but it’s not unheard of for otherwise solid developers to have stumbles.

There are many, many things to criticize 343 about with respect to how they’ve handled Halo Infinite. This is not one of them.

Kev Kev

I imagine that not enough people used matchmaking for online co-op, which is why they decided against implementing it. Everything takes resources and they probably decided to focus those resources on Forge or other things.

tommib

Can you even matchmake for coop campaign in the MCC or any previous halo for that matter?
I think I mixed it with Gears 5. My bad. I was honestly convinced I had randoms popping over during co-op because I played MCC with a friend at the same time I was playing Gears 5 campaign - last year when I had an S and was trying everything. Pandemic made everything a blur.

Graciaus

An AAA developer, making SP/MP games with reviews that hover in the 80 - 90% range. Last game at 87% MC with 17 GOTY awards.

That sounds like top-tier to me. And clearly, Microsoft treats them that way.
Joke post right? 343 killed Halo it doesn't matter what useless accolades they got along the way. That says more about the review process then anything these days.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Again’?
If you’re now aware that Halo hasn’t ever offered matchmaking with ransoms for co-op campaign, and if you assume that the vast majority of folks want to play co-op with ‘friends’, how is unwillingness to support that now ‘half-assing’ the feature?

Not specifically with regard to co-op, but the general "Delayed" "unfinished" "lacking content" "announcing features that won't be coming at launch/near future" malaise that swirls around Infinite.

As I said in another post, I think that 343 ought to have said "Campaign is single player, multiplayer is 4v4" and made those things great. Instead, I get the feeling that what is often described as a well funded studio with hundreds of employees seems to be constantly running around putting out fires while simulatenously trying to launch Co-Op, create new maps to flesh out the bare bones release, make forge, etc.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It's not half asking anything if your devoting time and or energy to features that are most requested. If thier analytics 99% of Halo gamers of Halo play coop with a known friend, I'd drop it too. Waste of time and resources I can put towards other features or our next game.
I'm not 100% on what you're saying, but I think that's basically my point too.

343 are trying to do so many things, almost any studio would struggle with a project as big as Halo, so many different play modes, etc.

Personally think they should reduce scope and focus on getting campaign and 4v4 to a good state before putting resouces into hundreds of different things. The end result is that things come out in a way that is unsatisfactory for everyone. End result - nobody's satisfied, everyone's bitching.

All I, as a massive halo fan, can say is "the core game is great" I can't even say "yeah, but the competitive multiplayer is great!" because there's not enough maps and variety.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
‘Old school Halo fan’, but you’re attacking 343 for not having a feature that hasn’t been in any of the old school Halo games ?
Yes. Never said I'm stuck in my ways. The world is moving on. After all these years the only thing 343 finally managed to get right was solid gunplay and traversal mechanics, but they should also be able to put together a good up to date solid package on the budgets that they are being handed.

Last edited:
Can you share where 343 promised to have online matchmaking for campaign co-op?
No, but they promised a lot of other stuff they didn't deliver.
This is just another point where they underdelivered, even when not explicitly mentioned.

The details don't matter anymore.
343 has a history of overpromising and underdelivering and until today they have done exactly 0 against that.
Fans gave them a second and a third chance. The benefit of doubt again and again. Yet they keep doing the same.

Apologies are meaningless. "we hear you" is meaningless, if actions don't follow at some point.
And over a decade later, there is still nothing in their favor.

Have a look at Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Playground Games, Foam Soft, CDPR, Nintendo EAD, Respawn
Those are top tier developers. 343 is not in that league.

And i doubt they ever will. They need at least another decade to change their reputation and vita anyways.

Or just compare how The Coalition took Gears over and delivered compared to 343 that took Halo over.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

alienator

Yesterday i played both Returnal And ghost of tsunima Legends in co-op with randoms (and microphone turned off ... ) , by the press of one button.

I would have done the same in Halo Infinite but i deinstalled the game a month ago, the singleplayer was a dud. The multiplayer was borked as f.

But i have been playing multiplayer with tons of randoms (even matches that require good team work and comms like capture the flag and stuff )
So this "why play the campaign in co-op with a random, noone wants that" -nonsense, is me trying to do that... but instead make me look online to find anybody willing to do so with u ( i hate games that dont respect my time)

I cant believe they simply dont allow u to simply play the campaign by matchmaking with a random (im a 46y old man with a busy social life and surrounded with friends who dont play much online or games in general ) but instead make u do all the extra work by usinng the LFG and or discord way. add a button to matchmake instead of wasting my time by trying to find someone willing to play it with me on discord or whatever.

This mode that should have been there since LAUNCH , so long in development, and they cant be even bothered to make it as easy as possible with the press of one button. F that.

end of rant.

Lady Jane

Banned
It's great to know that now a parent and their child or brother and sisters can share our disappointment in Infinite's campaign.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Its not a massive miss... but at the same time is there a good reason to not include it?

Key word "good" reason, because 343i pulled out alot of horrible reasons why they didn't want more than 3 playlists originally, which ranged from "The UI can't handle it" to "we make subpar GAAS products that win GAF GOTY based on the brand".

Like they have match making already... are they afraid campaign coop stats will feed into how the game sets your ranked matches up or something?

Last edited:

LordCBH

The campaign felt like they got the gameplay right but forgot to include any actual story, the last "level" was basically a single player horde mode. I'm guessing they made a lot of cuts in that last year or so. Having so many top people leave a year plus before development was done probably didn't help.

The thing that bothers me is they could have made a baller campaign, but instead decided “well let’s just slap an open world into this game, and base capturing, and nodes on a map and we can slap some generic one off levels every so often into it.”

Literally nobody was asking for this. What’s so bad about making a linear campaign with the occasional open-ish level?

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I really hate it when developers rely on resources outside the game for matchmaking (looking at you Bungie.) It makes no sense to me
god i hated having to find people to do nightfalls/raids with. alright, raids i can kind of understand but get over yourselves and just let us have matchmaking.

Sakura

I guess it is kind of dumb that they don't at least have the option... but on the other hand who wants to play Halo co-op with rando's in the first place? Not like the other Halo games had this.

Belthazar

The 343 defense force in here is kinda weird. Suddenly having an option for matchmaking is a bad thing because "who would play a campaign with randoms?".

Lol, I played Remnant From The Ashes' campaign multiple times, with both friends and in sessions with randoms and it worked seamlessly. And that was basically an indie studio.

MiguelItUp

This feels so incredibly odd. It's like implemented in a bizarre half assed way, or something. So strange. But hey, at least it's coming, I guess.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Hits keep coming, imagina having the code for online matchmaking, already in the game and not using is. Were it built by some external company like Saber Russia/Certain Affinity, which is now cut and you are unable to use it or something?

343i has to be the most embarrassing company, which exists. And I am green rat

Lognor

Banned
Itc really should be there, but probably not a big deal in the long run. Someone said halo games have NEVER had matchmaking for coop?? Not sure if it's true, but 343 should be aiming to improve the series, but do it the way it's always been done.

I bet if they did implement it though they would see that a very small amount of people would use it. Or maybe I'm just thinking of myself. Playing a campaign with a rando doesn't sound like a good time

Kvally

Banned
Would be nice. But considering Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3, ODST, Halo 4, Halo 5 and Halo MCC didn't have this either, I am not surprised. And as was said above, Xbox LFG is slick.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

They are still working on stuff like this? If this game had an name other than halo they would have abandoned it a long time ago

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
That's exactly what I've been wondering. I don't have any interest in co-op, but to people upset about this, were you really wanting to play through the campaign with randoms??? Why?
Which is probably why it was low priority to implement. The problem is that they are still at the stage where they are having to prioritize features in a mode that they should have had at launch.

Thabass

While it's shitty they're not adding it...I think the point of co-op is that you already have friends to play with anyway. So, meh.

I’m all for more options.. but I have to say the idea of playing halo coop with randoms sounds miserable. People running off in random directions, yanking you away from objectives when they get too far away, skipping cutscenes, going afk..

Just. I mean. I think I get why some people are upset but personally I only play coop campaigns like this with friends, and halo or gears has never had matchmaking for campaign coop. Online coop with friends, yes, online coop matchmaking? No.

Now.. if there was like a 20 minute pve dungeon or strike or something that had matchmaking I’d be all for it. Makes much more sense there.

Ozriel

M$FT
Which is probably why it was low priority to implement. The problem is that they are still at the stage where they are having to prioritize features in a mode that they should have had at launch.

No. The problem is that they’ve defined the feature set they want to support, and people are unfairly criticizing them for not including a feature that hasn’t ever been in a Halo game, would not be much used and which can EASILY be replaced by using the LFG feature that’s built into every Xbox.
What an epic fail. I have 0 friends who play these games and I was looking forward to playing some coop, even if it was with some randoms.

Again, LFG is built into your xbox.

Hits keep coming, imagina having the code for online matchmaking, already in the game and not using is. Were it built by some external company like Saber Russia/Certain Affinity, which is now cut and you are unable to use it or something?

343i has to be the most embarrassing company, which exists. And I am green rat

Facepalm

Last edited:
Top Bottom