• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite campaign co-op won’t support online matchmaking

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Thankfully i don’t play Halo. But seems everything 343 touches is a shit show Lately. It seems the 360 games from 10 years ago were universally accepted as more polished.

Last edited:
For clarity, I don't give 2 shits about Halo; never did, probably never will. That said, it is the IP that put Xbox on the map and it has been left in the hands of clearly incompetent people for many, many years. Time for a total reboot with an entirely new studio, Phil.

BlackTron

As time passes, it’s becoming clear that this game needed a few more years of development but they probably didn’t want to wait that long and decided to release it knowing it would take years to be completed.

A live service game shouldn’t lack this much content especially when historically the older games had more content and features on day 1.

The powers that be keep betting that people don't care anymore and will forget all that, just chasing the newest thing with no context or standards.

That's only true to a certain extent. 343 failed to capitalize on the hypetrain grace period. "Too little too late" is like their studio motto/tagline.

BlackTron

For clarity, I don't give 2 shits about Halo; never did, probably never will. That said, it is the IP that put Xbox on the map and it has been left in the hands of clearly incompetent people for many, many years. Time for a total reboot with an entirely new studio, Phil.

MS already made their own studio for the specific purpose of making Halo. So if there's a problem, they may as well just gut and restructure the one they already have.

But Phil might have to rock a lot of boats he would prefer not in order to do that. It could be a very uncomfortable to blame the 343 leadership here.

TheGecko

Banned
Oh look, now calls me a "c u next tueseday" because he's sensitive.

LyASRhB.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a developer but why? Doesn't seem like its something difficult to implement for a studio with a hundred million dollar budget. Honestly they need to just give halo to ID and take 343s developers and intersperse them throughout the MS gaming studios.

Ozriel

M$FT
I'm not a developer but why? Doesn't seem like its something difficult to implement for a studio with a hundred million dollar budget. Honestly they need to just give halo to ID and take 343s developers and intersperse them throughout the MS gaming studios.

Lol, ironic since ID had zero issues cutting out stuff nobody really needed. Talking about significantly de-emphasizing the MP in modern Doom games.

If 343i made a Halo game that played like Doom, the fanbase would be incensed.

The ‘why’ seems easy enough. It’s a feature most folks wouldn’t use, and LFG can help anyone find a random to play with.

Ah yes. A well reasoned, detailed argument at last!

Last edited:

Redefine07

Gdamn it , I didn't played this game cuz I wanted to go CO-OP with a buddy , but nope ! I will skip it and my copy of the game is garbage also , there is no game data on the disc.....

Lognor

Banned
I think reach was the only game that did, and that was added after launch and people didn't like it apparently.
Interesting. So matchmaking was in a Halo game before? I bet 343 saw the usage of matchmaking and it was rarely used, so why spend the resources? Playing a campaign with strangers sounds awful.

I did try A Way Out because I really wanted to play it and it's 2 player only, but the people I was paired with were annoying fucks or just plain stupid. I had to give up on that game.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Gdamn it , I didn't played this game cuz I wanted to go CO-OP with a buddy , but nope ! I will skip it and my copy of the game is garbage also , there is no game data on the disc.....
What are you talking about? You don't need matchmaking to play coop with your friends..

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
one of the best games Among people with ridiculously low standards yeah

So your saying the entire gaming community has ridiculously low standards?

Why are you even in this thread if the game is so bad? Why would you be interested in what features coop has or has not?

THE DUCK

are we talking about the same community that currently ignores this absolutely dying POS game?

Conveniently ignored the question about why you are in the thread, but ok.
We are talking about the whole gaming community, you know, including the ones who play one player games with missions. But I guess that doesn't exist to you.

Halo Infinite is missing hundreds of things that were present in previous Halo games that 343 deserves shit for not including, this is not one of them.

Banned
Conveniently ignored the question about why you are in the thread, but ok.
We are talking about the whole gaming community, you know, including the ones who play one player games with missions. But I guess that doesn't exist to you.

still, Infinite is a failure, it has the fastest dying playerbase of any Halo to date, getting literally overtaken by the MCC in player numbers.

so the gaming community as a whole has spoken, this game is not worth playing, hence noone is playing it.

the big player numbers it got were all from the early release where only the multiplayer was out, that quickly dies off and noone cares anymore because everyone saw how bad the game is.

literally Counter Strike Source AND Counter Strike 1.6 have now more active players than Infinite

sainraja

How’s this an issue if that’s how previous Halo games have worked? Including the Bungie ones.

They also mentioned LFG, but I suppose it’s more dramatic if you go with Discord.
Good question — why are they clarifying that online matchmaking won't be available with final co-op.....if it's never been part of a Halo game before? Why are they having to clarify this point to GamesRadar?
How was this expectation set?

That's what you gotta be asking.

Also, to whoever said that Destiny doesn't have online matchmaking, it does have online matchmaking — but in some modes, they don't offer it by design, not because it's not a feature they support. Nightfall, normal strikes support matchmaking....unless I am missing something here?
If you mean the story campaign, I suppose you are right, but they can offer it with the campaign if they wanted, as far as I know or understand, since the game supports it for many modes in the game.

stickkidsam

I still think the main reason why Infinite is dropping is that it has such little content, especially compared to MCC which must have 20 times the content, literally. MCC was always going to overtake it at some point, it was just a matter of when.

I still loved the campaign, and my 80 hours in Infinite MP. 343 need a massive kick up the backside though.
I don't think lack of content is the main problem honestly.

It doesn't help, but the main problem is the actual structure of the game. The menus are a pain in the ass to navigate, the challenge system a slog, armor customization gimped to hell, and the actual gameplay is geared towards e-sports which makes it sweaty as the reeds of my asscrack in the summer. Granted I enjoy some sweaty games but there's not really any casual games anymore.

Then there's Infinite's social features. I mean by the almighty Space Christ look at this:
  • Theater: Busted
  • File Share: Busted
  • Custom Games: Busted
  • Forge: Looks better than ever but fuck is it late to the party
  • Campaign Co-Op: Finally here 8 months after launch
  • Player Profiles (e.g. stats, commendations, player cards): Basic as buttered bread
  • Pre/Post-Game Lobbies: Fucking where?
  • Voice Chat: Must be enabled in the menus???
  • Proximity Chat: Not happening
  • Player collision (yes I'd argue this affects the social aspect of the game): Busted AND missing despite popular demand
The real irony is that for all the talk of reaching a "broader audience", 343 fucked up the very features that gave Halo such wide spread appeal! Over the past 10 years Halo has gone from an all you can eat buffet to an overpriced steakhouse with some appetizers.

Stuart360

I don't think lack of content is the main problem honestly.

It doesn't help, but the main problem is the actual structure of the game. The menus are a pain in the ass to navigate, the challenge system a slog, armor customization gimped to hell, and the actual gameplay is geared towards e-sports which makes it sweaty as the reeds of my asscrack in the summer. Granted I enjoy some sweaty games but there's not really any casual games anymore.

Then there's Infinite's social features. I mean by the almighty Space Christ look at this:
  • Theater: Busted
  • File Share: Busted
  • Custom Games: Busted
  • Forge: Looks better than ever but fuck is it late to the party
  • Campaign Co-Op: Finally here 8 months after launch
  • Player Profiles (e.g. stats, commendations, player cards): Basic as buttered bread
  • Pre/Post-Game Lobbies: Fucking where?
  • Voice Chat: Must be enabled in the menus???
  • Proximity Chat: Not happening
  • Player collision (yes I'd argue this affects the social aspect of the game): Busted AND missing despite popular demand
The real irony is that for all the talk of reaching a "broader audience", 343 fucked up the very features that gave Halo such wide spread appeal! Over the past 10 years Halo has gone from an all you can eat buffet to an overpriced steakhouse with some appetizers.
Well the lack of content was the mian problem for me. Like i said, i put 80 hours into the MP, i thought it was pretty awesome to be honest, but you can only play the same handful of maps so much, no matter how good it is.

Who wants to play halo with strangers?!
Achievement hunters, localised players for better connections/teammates, friends not always available at the time you want to play etc. If a coop matchmaking system was tied in with playlists and achievements etc it would be a really nice evolution of those systems and likely deliver more players more often than say...not having it.

It's another sign of a shite engine, shite management decisions from the outset to not design and develop systems right in to the core of the dev and game itself. Further one can extrapolate that coop not having matchmaking basically means things like PvE modes aren't coming or are half arsed or so delayed this game is in the shitter again. It also points to shite support for future campaign/coop expansions, if this is a 10 year game it's lacking some core features.

But hey, less is more right?

Why don't we compare Infinite to say Destiny 2 in terms of coop matchmaking? Strikes/dailies/weeklies = check. Raid lairs/dungeons = check, Gambit (PvPvE innovation)= check, public events/spaces = check, campaign expansions = mixed check/cross, future expansion = check/more possibilities due to Bungie's engine supporting far more. When you compare Infinite to Destiny it is no comparison for coop.

I know which one I played for years more with friends and/or randoms. 1,000s of hours in Destiny vs sweet fuck all in Infinite.

Last edited:
I still think the main reason why Infinite is dropping is that it has such little content, especially compared to MCC which must have 20 times the content, literally. MCC was always going to overtake it at some point, it was just a matter of when.

I still loved the campaign, and my 80 hours in Infinite MP. 343 need a massive kick up the backside though.
The drop isn't really little content, its that the game is a call of duty ripoff instead of a real Halo game.

What a horrible company, releasing one of the best games of 2021. I mean how can they look themselves in the mirror.
Infinite is an awful game actually which came and went. Its another generic fps call of duty ripoff like the many out there. There is a reason that is failed and nobody plays it anymore.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I honestly feel sorry for Halo fans. <....> This is basic stuff. It’s Dark Souls level of co-op. Fucking Returnal has co-op matchmaking.

Same. The longer this stretches out with practically all news being bad news I wonder why 343i still exists. I think of all the studios that publishers have disbanded over the years who could do good work players wanted, and here's 343i who can barely crank out any content after years and years, and can't even implement matchmaking in ....2022 or whenever coop finally comes out.

So glad I didn't buy this and relied on Game Pass instead. I'd be fuming. Instead, I'll just go ahead and silently forget that this game exists.

THE DUCK

still, Infinite is a failure, it has the fastest dying playerbase of any Halo to date, getting literally overtaken by the MCC in player numbers.

so the gaming community as a whole has spoken, this game is not worth playing, hence noone is playing it.

the big player numbers it got were all from the early release where only the multiplayer was out, that quickly dies off and noone cares anymore because everyone saw how bad the game is.

literally Counter Strike Source AND Counter Strike 1.6 have now more active players than Infinite

Your judging the game clearly only by its mutiplayer component, last I checked there was a large single player game that many people have enjoyed.

Rykan

I don't think this is too big of a deal though.

Halo's singleplayer campaigns aren't really made to be played with random people. It's great to play through with a friend, but are you really going to play through the entire game with a stranger?

I also don't remember any of the previous Halo games having this feature.

Ozriel

M$FT
Good question — why are they clarifying that online matchmaking won't be available with final co-op.....if it's never been part of a Halo game before? Why are they having to clarify this point to GamesRadar?
How was this expectation set?

That's what you gotta be asking.

Given how unlikely it is for 343 to release an exclusive, unprompted statement to Gamesradar, I believe it’s easy enough to infer that it was sent in response to a question from GR. And more likely that it’s part of a larger statement.

I also don’t believe any expectation was set. Certainly, nobody here has been able to show anywhere 343 promised this feature.

The bottom line is the narrative around 343 has been set, and this title draws in console warriors and toxic fans in equal measure.

Also, to whoever said that Destiny doesn't have online matchmaking, it does have online matchmaking — but in some modes, they don't offer it by design, not because it's not a feature they support. Nightfall, normal strikes support matchmaking....unless I am missing something here?
If you mean the story campaign, I suppose you are right, but they can offer it with the campaign if they wanted, as far as I know or understand, since the game supports it for many modes in the game.

This is such a weird point for you to make, since 343 as well support online matchmaking in other MP modes. Just not story campaign.
And yes, they can offer if it they wanted.

Devs have to define the features they want to support and stick to them. And this really should be non-controversial in this case since it’s a feature that would be used sparingly and hasn’t been in previous Halo games.
It’s like getting mad at Nintendo for not including a first person mode in Zelda BOTW.

Ozriel

M$FT
I honestly feel sorry for Halo fans. I played the masterchief collection with random online drops as well as with a friend. This is basic stuff. It’s Dark Souls level of co-op. Fucking Returnal has co-op matchmaking.

I do not believe the Master Chief Collection has online matchmaking with randoms for co-op campaign.

It’s irrelevant if Returnal has co-op matchmaking. different game, different feature set. It’s like getting mad that Starfield doesn’t have any Multiplayer modes because No Man’s Sky has.

Top Bottom