• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite - Forge Map Playlist added to official matchmaking. Live now.

All these dipshits that clog up Halo threads with their trolling nonsense time and time again need to be permabanned.
Enough already. Half of this thread is beyond silly - childish.

With more playtime - im actually not a fan of half of these first community choices. Some of the designs are very messy - but the Halo 1 map remake is great. Luckily the Forge playlist is said to be permanent and will get a constant rotation of new maps.
If you havent - try the two 343 created forge maps from Nov 2022 update "Argyle" and "Detachment" - they are some of the best 343 has made to date.

Yep, there is a real anti-MS/Xbox undertone on GAF at the moment. I cannot say I'm enjoying it. I've never been one to report things, which is changing for me at the moment but GAF is not feeling super receptive to such.

As for Halo, at least my critiques of Halo are based in detailed posts instead of drive by bullshit.

I gave the Forge playlist a run the other night. First 3 games were the same map with different modes, how 343 don't code in a history lookup while searching so you don't just repeat the same map is beyond me. Again basic filters would resolve this shit instantly. As for the games themselves the oddball modes on what is basically an inverted midship map are just esports shit again. I found a spot that was so easy to defend it was a useless game, every ball holder medal was mine in one game. Boring. I stopped playing that playlist after 4 games of the same esports crap rammed down my throat. I checked the playlist description, "a menagerie of epic maps", yeah right...I got the same shit over and over.

Forge filters/tagging in matchmaking would be awesome for that playlist e.g. hardcore, whacky, puzzles, vehicles. Again Forge is just Forge without any real evolution to how you play with others, they had so much potential to drive experiences beyond just great Forge tools.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Is that the one with the teleporter with a sniper on the other side?

I just struggle to navigate the damn map haha 😂

And just seems like it is like 3 or 4 different floor levels?

Maybe more time with the map would change my mind, but not a fan so far.
Dang you to hiel, Anthony! 🤣 j/k

I love Damnation in Halo CE. I love the flow and the verticality of the map and fighting for the power weapons and the risk and rewards for the power weapons and power-ups. The map is awesome for creating these corridors of mayhem and fun. Salvation is pretty cool, but not having the CE pistol changes it up a little.

Finally, there is some good news about this game. Hopefully, this will be the year the game starts to turn around. Infinite will never recover even a fraction of its original players, but I hope the game will improve for those who stick around.

I tried the maps out yesterday, and they were really fun. They were not completely balanced, but they were at least fun. The Halo community is really talented, and I can't wait to see what other maps are introduced.

Last edited:

Lasha

Yep, there is a real anti-MS/Xbox undertone on GAF at the moment. I cannot say I'm enjoying it. I've never been one to report things, which is changing for me at the moment but GAF is not feeling super receptive to such.

As for Halo, at least my critiques of Halo are based in detailed posts instead of drive by bullshit.

I gave the Forge playlist a run the other night. First 3 games were the same map with different modes, how 343 don't code in a history lookup while searching so you don't just repeat the same map is beyond me. Again basic filters would resolve this shit instantly. As for the games themselves the oddball modes on what is basically an inverted midship map are just esports shit again. I found a spot that was so easy to defend it was a useless game, every ball holder medal was mine in one game. Boring. I stopped playing that playlist after 4 games of the same esports crap rammed down my throat. I checked the playlist description, "a menagerie of epic maps", yeah right...I got the same shit over and over.

Forge filters/tagging in matchmaking would be awesome for that playlist e.g. hardcore, whacky, puzzles, vehicles. Again Forge is just Forge without any real evolution to how you play with others, they had so much potential to drive experiences beyond just great Forge tools.

Have you tried custom lobbies? I've had some luck finding good maps and silly games there. Matchmaking filters probably wouldn't help much because you would get filtered down to the most common filters anyways. Matchmaking exists to find games quickly. It's always going to suck for niche things.

Have you tried custom lobbies? I've had some luck finding good maps and silly games there. Matchmaking filters probably wouldn't help much because you would get filtered down to the most common filters anyways. Matchmaking exists to find games quickly. It's always going to suck for niche things.

Yep, trouble is being Australian, there's so little people to play with. Also I've tried the custom browser in various titles, often leads to incomplete games, hosts that don't have a clue or squeakers. I miss my old Halo crew that don't play Halo any more. Forge from Halo 3 days/customs will never return to Halo. New experiences are required.

One big issue I have with Infinite's Forge is we've mostly seen all this before. Games like Andy's room, Fat Kid, Tower of Power, Infection etc etc are just old hat. Sure they look nice and there are some really talented folks putting a lot of this quality content the devs don't but it just falls flat these days. For example, that Stranger Things map is lovingly made and brilliant to have a load up and look at. Then you play say infection and get bored within two games of it. Then you have things like the Halo 2 demo recreation and there is no interactivity or anything to do, it's a stale static map. Boring. Forge could have pushed for mini-campaign making and machinima for example.

The "IT" factor for Halo is just missing these days and has been MIA for multiple releases. The experiences from map quality to modes, to graphics, to skill required, to squad comms etc all fall flat now. You no longer wish to play to get better and there's a lot of frustration from matchmaking and latency issues with Infinite on top. Halo is a watered down McHalo version now. It's missing that intrinsic "IT" in the gameplay loop, map designs/encounters and overall experience. Forge just highlights this even further with Infinite.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Yep, trouble is being Australian, there's so little people to play with. Also I've tried the custom browser in various titles, often leads to incomplete games, hosts that don't have a clue or squeakers. I miss my old Halo crew that don't play Halo any more. Forge from Halo 3 days/customs will never return to Halo. New experiences are required.

One big issue I have with Infinite's Forge is we've mostly seen all this before. Games like Andy's room, Fat Kid, Tower of Power, Infection etc etc are just old hat. Sure they look nice and there are some really talented folks putting a lot of this quality content the devs don't but it just falls flat these days. For example, that Stranger Things map is lovingly made and brilliant to have a load up and look at. Then you play say infection and get bored within two games of it. Then you have things like the Halo 2 demo recreation and there is no interactivity or anything to do, it's a stale static map. Boring. Forge could have pushed for mini-campaign making and machinima for example.

The "IT" factor for Halo is just missing these days and has been MIA for multiple releases. The experiences from map quality to modes, to graphics, to skill required, to squad comms etc all fall flat now. You no longer wish to play to get better and there's a lot of frustration from matchmaking and latency issues with Infinite on top. Halo is a watered down McHalo version now. It's missing that intrinsic "IT" in the gameplay loop, map designs/encounters and overall experience. Forge just highlights this even further with Infinite.

It's dead in Australia is it? I was thinking of jumping back in, but not if I need to wait forever in match making.

It's dead in Australia is it? I was thinking of jumping back in, but not if I need to wait forever in match making.

For me it seems less than 50/50, forced to select Australia and US West, if you go Aus + Southeast asia you basically don't find a match in 3mins. I reset to Aus+US and generally 50/50 host plus match in about 1-2mins. The game experiences however are totally shite. Get Aus host - Yanks quit. Get USA host, play a stacked squad vs randos then get bots to fill the quitters and the game is lopsided. You pretty much match with 1-3 Aussies every game in the latter method.

So many systems, iterations, bugs, years, dev and cost when the formula is better served similar to Apex Legends. Consolidate playlists/maps/modes but introduce filters, give players basic choices how to play, party matching on and the update to that is go back to fucking random matchmaking. Forge or not the key to better experiences is not SBMM, it's experience matching with random skill matching. It kills quitters/smurfs/derankers etc, kills maps/modes not wanting to play resulting in quitters at the start of a match, matches randoms vs teams, gives choice and matching on player/party experience instead of just skills etc. Anyhow don't want to go off topic too much.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
For me it seems less than 50/50, forced to select Australia and US West, if you go Aus + Southeast asia you basically don't find a match in 3mins. I reset to Aus+US and generally 50/50 host plus match in about 1-2mins. The game experiences however are totally shite. Get Aus host - Yanks quit. Get USA host, play a stacked squad vs randos then get bots to fill the quitters and the game is lopsided. You pretty much match with 1-3 Aussies every game in the latter method.

So many systems, iterations, bugs, years, dev and cost when the formula is better served similar to Apex Legends. Consolidate playlists/maps/modes but introduce filters, give players basic choices how to play, party matching on and the update to that is go back to fucking random matchmaking. Forge or not the key to better experiences is not SBMM, it's experience matching with random skill matching. It kills quitters/smurfs/derankers etc, kills maps/modes not wanting to play resulting in quitters at the start of a match, matches randoms vs teams, gives choice and matching on player/party experience instead of just skills etc. Anyhow don't want to go off topic too much.

I'm surprised, I thought cross play with pc / xbox would have meant even an almost dead community would serve up games pretty quick.

Well, that sucks I guess.

Yeah, it really is a bit much at the moment. Any thread MS related gets immediately shitted up by the same people warring / trolling , spamming laugh emotes. Even trying to engage in genuine discussion on anything that could be perceived as negative about Sony gets jumped on and shut down by the same cohort. Usually, I'm pretty sparse in my use of reporting but I got sick of it I reported a couple of people for the usual shit last night and that didn't go down too well, so I just decided to go on an ignore purge of users and threads today.

GAF already feels better as a result!

Yeah, it really is a bit much at the moment. Any thread MS related gets immediately shitted up by the same people warring / trolling , spamming laugh emotes. Even trying to engage in genuine discussion on anything that could be perceived as negative about Sony gets jumped on and shut down by the same cohort. Usually, I'm pretty sparse in my use of reporting but I got sick of it I reported a couple of people for the usual shit last night and that didn't go down too well, so I just decided to go on an ignore purge of users and threads today.

GAF already feels better as a result!

I've been thinking of ignoring a few, so far I have a total count of 1 on my ignore list. I don't want an echo chamber, love to debate but it would be nice if posters/myself were more willing to concede or change positions based on facts and not conjecture.

I've been thinking of ignoring a few, so far I have a total count of 1 on my ignore list. I don't want an echo chamber, love to debate but it would be nice if posters/myself were more willing to concede or change positions based on facts and not conjecture.
Yeah, I'm always up for debate and discussion too. But there are a dedicated cohort on here that flat-out refuse to do that and it feels like it results in me being more hardheaded when otherwise I might be more willing to concede. I'm hoping judicious use of ignore might help resolve that.

anthony2690

Banned
Dang you to hiel, Anthony! 🤣 j/k

I love Damnation in Halo CE. I love the flow and the verticality of the map and fighting for the power weapons and the risk and rewards for the power weapons and power-ups. The map is awesome for creating these corridors of mayhem and fun. Salvation is pretty cool, but not having the CE pistol changes it up a little.
I feel lost whenever I'm on the map 😁

I either fall somewhere and then trying to figure out to find where the action is, what tends to be in this small corridor/corner bit of the map, where usually people are sat on the high ground 😂

But I'm struggling to find my way back there 😜

Maybe more time with the map, gaining familiarity will change my mind, but so far it's the one map I don't enjoy haha

We will have to do some infinite some time!

All these dipshits that clog up Halo threads with their trolling nonsense time and time again need to be permabanned.
Enough already. Half of this thread is beyond silly - childish.

With more playtime - im actually not a fan of half of these first community choices. Some of the designs are very messy - but the Halo 1 map remake is great. Luckily the Forge playlist is said to be permanent and will get a constant rotation of new maps.
If you havent - try the two 343 created forge maps from Nov 2022 update "Argyle" and "Detachment" - they are some of the best 343 has made to date.
Lol careful calling them out could get you restricted or banned since they’re the mob I tried saying the same thing in the activision thread and I got restricted while they tagged me and shit post all day and the mods are fine with it cause PlayStation guys dominate the forum.

Lol careful calling them out could get you restricted or banned since they’re the mob I tried saying the same thing in the activision thread and I got restricted while they tagged me and shit post all day and the mods are fine with it cause PlayStation guys dominate the forum.

It certainly feels like some mods genuinely have blinders on.

Cracks me up being ActiBliz thread banned and all the usual suspects claiming victory and the deal is dead, as if that regulator ruling was the be all and end all. Going by FTC and other tech turnovers it was likely always going to court post regulator postulating.

Any how shouldn't shit up this thread.

Naked Lunch

Ive been a participant on this GAF board for 12 years now - there are many differing opinions and thats good - but I get a sense when things shift too far - and we are at in one of those moments unfortunately. Especially in all Halo threads - this thread alone, just trying to talk about a new forge playlist which is actually (and finally) good news for the Infinite game. Like I said - just childish trolling.

But at the end of the day its not that big a deal - we're just talking videogames.

It certainly feels like some mods genuinely have blinders on.

Cracks me up being ActiBliz thread banned and all the usual suspects claiming victory and the deal is dead, as if that regulator ruling was the be all and end all. Going by FTC and other tech turnovers it was likely always going to court post regulator postulating.

Any how shouldn't shit up this thread.
The funny thing with that is most people don’t understand what they read at all. In fact that’s the best position Microsoft’s been in since the embarked on this deal. They fact that the cma didn’t come out and outright block the deal and left open doors for remedies means the EC probably did the same. Now if those two come to agreement with Microsoft the FTC won’t have a choice but to because they’ll lose in court. It be hilarious when it’s all said and done I wonder what will be their next thing. It’s like the are some afraid of halo resurgence. They should be cause the day halo gets it’s act together Microsoft will be able to have that cod, doom, quake, wolfenstien in gamepass.

Lasha

Ive been a participant on this GAF board for 12 years now - there are many differing opinions and thats good - but I get a sense when things shift too far - and we are at in one of those moments unfortunately. Especially in all Halo threads - this thread alone, just trying to talk about a new forge playlist which is actually (and finally) good news for the Infinite game. Like I said - just childish trolling.

But at the end of the day its not that big a deal - we're just talking videogames.

Especially the Halo threads. Halo Infinite is a solid game. The core mechanics are really fun. Its nowhere near the dumpster fire people make it out to be. Forge is a solid step forward. Cleaning house at 343 should lead to more positive changes. The reality is that Halo is a higher TTK arena style shooter in a market that wants low ttk and simple gunplay like COD or lots of variance like Fortnite. I've been playing since launch. My kids picked it up and enjoy it of their own volition. I'm always able to find games within a reasonable timespan. I didn't have to pay for the game. Things could be a lot worse.

Especially the Halo threads. Halo Infinite is a solid game. The core mechanics are really fun. Its nowhere near the dumpster fire people make it out to be. Forge is a solid step forward. Cleaning house at 343 should lead to more positive changes. The reality is that Halo is a higher TTK arena style shooter in a market that wants low ttk and simple gunplay like COD or lots of variance like Fortnite. I've been playing since launch. My kids picked it up and enjoy it of their own volition. I'm always able to find games within a reasonable timespan. I didn't have to pay for the game. Things could be a lot worse.
People were only upset about lack of content release from my experience. With that being said, I think Halo infinite has more content than most FPS. Only counter strike GO and maybe COD has more content.

Naked Lunch

People were only upset about lack of content release from my experience. With that being said, I think Halo infinite has more content than most FPS. Only counter strike GO and maybe COD has more content.
The totality of almost all Halo games never gets enough credit - the shear combined content volume of campaign, co-op, and multiplayer. And its that content totality that stacks ahead of nearly any other franchise.
Simply put - people play Halo games for years, even decades, beyond launch for a reason.

I feel like with the new Forge up and running - and 343 backlogging upcoming season content - the upcoming Creative Assembly Halo project - the future of Infinite's content pipeline is (finally!) looking bright.

The totality of almost all Halo games never gets enough credit - the shear combined content volume of campaign, co-op, and multiplayer. And its that content totality that stacks ahead of nearly any other franchise.
Simply put - people play Halo games for years, even decades, beyond launch for a reason.

I feel like with the new Forge up and running - and 343 backlogging upcoming season content - the upcoming Creative Assembly Halo project - the future of Infinite's content pipeline is (finally!) looking bright.

Yep, MCC in its current state is amazing for campaigns, coop, multiplayer, content, stability etc. Best value in gaming bar none, with or without gamepass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom