• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Multiplayer is out NOW

Banned
I agree it's not great but what more can they do than say they're working on it and changes are coming asap?

they will not remove those shitty challenges... no way, and as long as they are there this shit will happen and disturb the flow of the matches

Last edited:

TIGERCOOL

Is it wrong to ask for them to get it right the first time?

This is the same company that was going to release this game last year and it took an uproar from the community to get them to delay it. This isnt the first time with 343i it's always an uphill battle with them, and it's frustrating. Because it seems like the things they get right, they end up doing other things wrong and taking several steps back.
Sure you can ask them to get it right in the first place but it's their first time doing f2p, mistakes were made and none of us have a time machine. I promise you they didn't expect this kind of blowback and would have preferred to strike a balance between keeping everyone relatively happy (good luck) and making money to cover their continued dev costs and turn a profit.

I'd way rather they sort out pc performance issues, crashes, and add more PLAYABLE content to the game then have this endless discussion about how we can't get every piece of cosmetic gear in the game right away for 15 dollars. Players obsessing over it and ignoring objectives to level up their battlepass (it's 6 months long) is more an indication of how fucked up the mindset of modern gamers is than anything. I'm over here playing the game with my friends and having fun, looking forward to more maps and playlist options and wishing it wasn't crashing every 3 games.

Like.. we fucking get it. It's enough. Time to have a broader conversation about the game because they're well aware of the battlepass issue.

Last edited:
I agree it's not great but what more can they do than say they're working on it and changes are coming asap?
We don’t even know what they will change so it’s very concerning considering it’s been a week since launch

love the game tho but this is the worst system imaginable, very sad considering there a a great customization system with beautiful armors and options under all that bs

TIGERCOOL

they will not remove those shitty challenges... no way, and as long as they are there this shit will happen and disturb the flow of the matches
So then you get the system in a place where you can earn ample xp from playing the game however you want while keeping some specific challenges for flavour. If they can focus on primarily keeping challenges to completing/performing well/winning in different game modes they can boost the population of every game type, and encourage good team play when we move away from this streamlined playlist thing.

TIGERCOOL

We don’t even know what they will change so it’s very concerning considering it’s been a week since launch

love the game tho but this is the worst system imaginable, very sad considering there a a great customization system with beautiful armors and options under all that bs
They said it will take some time to fix it. They have an entire roadmap to completely restructure, and that's not a small ship to turn around. Their financial success hinges on this monetization system and they are trying to appease the publisher/shareholders and fanbase at the same time. Also, the event that launched today seems like a fun addition with lots of free content.

T0minator

I love Halo Infinite I play it every night with my cousin but one thing I'd like to have added and even ask the community if it means anything to them...

Winning or Losing is anticlimactic...

each match ends so abruptly after the last kill or point...we don't get to soak in the moment of victory...or feel the pain of defeat...it just goes straight to a loading screen...the matches need something else... I hate to compare it to CoD but at least a "play of the match" style video...or at least highlighting the stats would be nice. Each match ends with almost no excitement

#teamdefault

cosmetics are stupid. the progression system is stupid. fuck all that bullshit. just play the (free) game and enjoy whatever unlocks you may receive.

Yeah, I’m pretty much enjoying the game not worrying about it, after the challenge fix I can finally level, even though it’s kinda slim pickings other than challenge swaps, but those at least can get me through the event stuff faster since I have to complete all the weeklies to get to all 7 event challenges.

Wimbledon

Sure you can ask them to get it right in the first place but it's their first time doing f2p, mistakes were made and none of us have a time machine. I promise you they didn't expect this kind of blowback and would have preferred to strike a balance between keeping everyone relatively happy (good luck) and making money to cover their continued dev costs and turn a profit.

I'd way rather they sort out pc performance issues, crashes, and add more PLAYABLE content to the game then have this endless discussion about how we can't get every piece of cosmetic gear in the game right away for 15 dollars. Players obsessing over it and ignoring objectives to level up their battlepass (it's 6 months long) is more an indication of how fucked up the mindset of modern gamers is than anything. I'm over here playing the game with my friends and having fun, looking forward to more maps and playlist options and wishing it wasn't crashing every 3 games.

Like.. we fucking get it. It's enough. Time to have a broader conversation about the game because they're well aware of the battlepass issue.

1. I promise you they didn't expect this kind of blowback and would have preferred to strike a balance between keeping everyone relatively happy (good luck) and making money to cover their continued dev costs and turn a profit.

No to me this is pretty standard 343i, if they really didn't think they weren't going to get blowback then they've learned nothing. Once this game releases, they will hear it loud and clear from the community.

2. I'd way rather they sort out pc performance issues, crashes, and add more PLAYABLE content to the game then have this endless discussion about how we can't get every piece of cosmetic gear in the game right away for 15 dollars.

I agree on the PC issues and playable content which funny enough is another gripe I have about the game. But for the cosmetic items you're missing the point, this could just be a basic feature in the game SAME WAY HALO 3 WAS AND REACH. Where you didn't have to pay, you just unlock through progression, or an achievement, or buying using In-game currency you gain from playing the game. This isn't rocket science, not every piece of armor needs to be available but it also doesn't need to be behind a battle pass either. It just seems like they're stripping a basic feature and having you pay to have it, and im sorry that you don't see the problem in that.

Half the fun in Halo was going back into the story getting that specific achievement and unlocking that armor piece, being able to customize and earn rewards for your time playing is part of the online gaming experience and it's not new to halo its always been there It's one of the many reasons the game is fun. Taking away those features, making them premade, limiting your freedom of expression and putting them behind a paywall essentially is a step backwards for the series. They deserved to get called out on it, it's a legit criticism among many other criticisms I have about the game!

3. Like.. we fucking get it. It's enough. Time to have a broader conversation about the game because they're well aware of the battlepass issue.

I hope people keep fighting them on it until they make the necessary changes across the board! They need to hear it because AGAIN this isn't their first time fucking up, and pushing BS into their games. They KNOW exactly what their doing, their trying to make some of this predatory stuff acceptable in Halo and I'm not with it, and neither is the majority of the community!

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Yeah, I’m pretty much enjoying the game not worrying about it, after the challenge fix I can finally level, even though it’s kinda slim pickings other than challenge swaps, but those at least can get me through the event stuff faster since I have to complete all the weeklies to get to all 7 event challenges.
yeah man sounds like thats the best way to be honestly. i have no idea what seasons, weeklies, events and battle passes and challenges even is. like i didnt even understand half of your post lol

whatever. let the rest of them fight over dressing up there cute little halo dolls. as for me and you, comrade, LETS GET SOME!

Last edited:

Banned
So then you get the system in a place where you can earn ample xp from playing the game however you want while keeping some specific challenges for flavour. If they can focus on primarily keeping challenges to completing/performing well/winning in different game modes they can boost the population of every game type, and encourage good team play when we move away from this streamlined playlist thing.

having an XP system in place will not stop people from ruining games by farming challenges. I played enough games that have both to know they don't...

those challenges need to go, all of them.
if it's not "win a slayer match", "have a positive K/D in Slayer" or similarly straight forward challenges then nothing will change.

especially egregious are the vehicle specific ones as they completely ruin big team, you can tell many players try to prolong the game so that tanks spawn because they need to destroy one as a challenge... and how do they do that? by sabotaging.

I have seen multiple way people did that, either they ignore the objective like the enemy flag or they outright help the enemy team if you're about to win.
(I have seen people juggle those energy thingies to the enemy base because our team was only 4 away from winning)

this will never stop, there will always be those to hardcore farm them.
how hard can it be to only have challenges that promote good gameplay? too hard for 343i to figure out I bet 😑

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I love Halo Infinite I play it every night with my cousin but one thing I'd like to have added and even ask the community if it means anything to them...

each match ends so abruptly after the last kill or point...we don't get to soak in the moment of victory...or feel the pain of defeat...it just goes straight to a loading screen...the matches need something else... I hate to compare it to CoD but at least a "play of the match" style video...or at least highlighting the stats would be nice. Each match ends with almost no excitement

This.

No one is bringing this up and it's a huge detriment to the experience. The game doesn't illicit much emotion, good or bad.

svbarnard

Banned

I played the open flight and I could hardly tell the difference between walking speed and running speed, it felt like running was maybe 3% faster than walking. But now it feels like they made sprinting much faster because if I'm walking and my enemy is sprinting he/she/it/they will quickly leave me in the dust. Can someone please confirm?

Right after I played the flight I got on Twitter and complained directly to Bonnie Ross telling her that I couldn't tell any difference in speed between walking and running.

TIGERCOOL

2. I'd way rather they sort out pc performance issues, crashes, and add more PLAYABLE content to the game then have this endless discussion about how we can't get every piece of cosmetic gear in the game right away for 15 dollars.

I agree on the PC issues and playable content which funny enough is another gripe I have about the game. But for the cosmetic items you're missing the point, this could just be a basic feature in the game SAME WAY HALO 3 WAS AND REACH. Where you didn't have to pay, you just unlock through progression, or an achievement, or buying using In-game currency you gain from playing the game. This isn't rocket science, not every piece of armor needs to be available but it also doesn't need to be behind a battle pass either. It just seems like they're stripping a basic feature and having you pay to have it, and im sorry that you don't see the problem in that.

Half the fun in Halo was going back into the story getting that specific achievement and unlocking that armor piece, being able to customize and earn rewards for your time playing is part of the online gaming experience and it's not new to halo its always been there It's one of the many reasons the game is fun. Taking away those features, making them premade, limiting your freedom of expression and putting them behind a paywall essentially is a step backwards for the series. They deserved to get called out on it, it's a legit criticism among many other criticisms I have about the game!
So then how do they make money? It sounds like you want the game to be free and all the cosmetics as well...? If the trade off for having a free Halo game that all my friends can play without convincing them to drop 60$ is having optional paid cosmetics I'll take that over the alternatives. Curious what you think those alternatives might be. No previous Halo game was free to play so why are you comparing their progression systems?
having an XP system in place will not stop people from ruining games by farming challenges. I played enough games that have both to know they don't...

if it's not "win a slayer match", "have a positive K/D in Slayer" or similarly straight forward challenges then nothing will change.

especially egregious are the vehicle specific ones as they completely ruin big team, you can tell many players try to prolong the game so that tanks spawn because they need to destroy one as a challenge... and how do they do that? by sabotaging.

I have seen multiple way people did that, either they ignore the objective like the enemy flag or they outright help the enemy team if you're about to win.
(I have seen people juggle those energy thingies to the enemy base because our team was only 4 away from winning)

how hard can it be to only have challenges that promote good gameplay? too hard for 343i to figure out I bet 😑
Well lets see. Again there is a simple way to encourage the player base to approach the game in the right way if they're really so superficial that they can't enjoy this great gameplay loop without a nice shiny reward at the end of every match. I guess they didn't realize how mentally damaged gamers are these days, having been conditioned to only respond to the empty dopamine hit of loot boxes and masterbatory cosmetic rewards so everyone can marvel at how much time (or money) they spent playing the game.

Last edited:

Flintty

Got my samurai costume. Fucking wish paint jobs were cross armour though.

When looking in the store at the red visor I could see an even better samurai helmet but can’t see the actual helmet unlockable anywhere. Disappointing.

When looking in the store at the red visor I could see an even better samurai helmet but can’t see the actual helmet unlockable anywhere. Disappointing.
how do u get the samurai costume?

TIGERCOOL

There are a couple helmets in the event pass, did you check those out?

Flintty

There are a couple helmets in the event pass, did you check those out?
Yep, it’s not there. I should have taken a photo but I’m in bed now. I think you can see it in the bundle on the store page if you scroll along. The item you get is a red visor but it’s modelled on a different and very cool looking helm. 343 being a cock tease.

Wimbledon

So then how do they make money? It sounds like you want the game to be free and all the cosmetics as well...? If the trade off for having a free Halo game that all my friends can play without convincing them to drop 60$ is having optional paid cosmetics I'll take that over the alternatives. Curious what you think those alternatives might be. No previous Halo game was free to play so why are you comparing their progression systems?

Well lets see. Again there is a simple way to encourage the player base to approach the game in the right way if they're really so superficial that they can't enjoy this great gameplay loop without a nice shiny reward at the end of every match. I guess they didn't realizes how mentally damaged gamers are these days, having been conditioned to only respond to the empty dopamine hit of loot boxes and masterbatory cosmetic rewards so everyone can marvel at how much time (or money) they spent playing the game.

They could do it literally like every past halo game when it comes to the customization and progression system, literally the same way. Your not giving a valid excuse its a poor reason and it doesn't justify pushing practices THAT THEY"VE SAID THEY WEREN"T DOING PRIOR!

Im not for it, but they could still charge people tiers if that makes you feel better for your daddy 343i and their corporate advisors.

But they can sell costumes or specific gear like the samurai costume or whatever else they create and charge people that sure. But everything else should be unlockable normally like any other FPS GAME ON THE MARKET like holy sh%$T why is this a discussion. It's not optional ive been playing a lot of hours now haven't been able to do anything everything is locked. I was also under the impression that story-based content was going to be added in the future they could just charge that as well.

The way their approach incentivizes players is by taking away a basic feature and putting it behind a battle pass, if you don't buy it then you're playing through their dogshit progression system to earn nothing. It's not about bragging, or showing off, it's about seeing your progress, SOMETHING THATS BEEN IN HALO FOR YEARS DAY 1 WITHOUT PAYING. This is what bothers me when companies take away features and then resell it to you and act like its is something new and innovative, it should be there Day 1, same way with everything else Forge, CO-CAMPAIGN, but hey they made sure to put the shop in there that seemed to take priority over everything else so far.

I didn't realize how far people would go to defend a company that has a track record of fucking up multiple times releasing bad/unfinished online games, that they have to take a year to fix and is still trying to push predatory practices in their games to this day!

It's sad really, but I hope 343i does make the changes necessary to make this experience better, that's the only thing I will agree with you on there. They got 10 years with Halo infinite if that's still a thing.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
They could do it literally like every past halo game when it comes to the customization and progression system, literally the same way. Your not giving a valid excuse its a poor reason and it doesn't justify pushing practices THAT THEY"VE SAID THEY WEREN"T DOING PRIOR!

Im not for it, but they could still charge people tiers if that makes you feel better for your daddy 343i and their corporate advisors.

But they can sell costumes or specific gear like the samurai costume or whatever else they create and charge people that sure. But everything else should be unlockable normally like any other FPS GAME ON THE MARKET like holy sh%$T why is this a discussion. It's not optional ive been playing a lot of hours now haven't been able to do anything everything is locked. I was also under the impression that story-based content was going to be added in the future they could just charge that as well.

The way their approach incentivizes players is by taking away a basic feature and putting it behind a battle pass, if you don't buy it then you're playing through their dogshit progression system to earn nothing. It's not about bragging, or showing off, it's about seeing your progress, SOMETHING THATS BEEN IN HALO FOR YEARS DAY 1 WITHOUT PAYING. This is what bothers me when companies take away features and then resell it to you and act like its is something new and innovative, it should be there Day 1, same way with everything else Forge, CO-CAMPAIGN, but hey they made sure to put the shop in there that seemed to take priority over everything else so far.

I didn't realize how far people would go to defend a company that has a track record of fucking up multiple times releasing bad/unfinished online games, that they have to take a year to fix and is still trying to push predatory practices in their games to this day!

It's sad really, but I hope 343i does make the changes necessary to make this experience better, that's the only thing I will agree with you on there. They got 10 years with Halo infinite if that's still a thing.

Console Warriors, mate. Brain dead, limp dick little console warriors. That is the only excuse why you see people defending this shit.

EDIT: I will expand a bit as I am sure I will trigger one of them to create yet another strawman argument. If people like the core shooting enough and the content available as sufficient and don't consider these problems as big enough for them to worry about? That is one thing. They like the game, they see the problems, but to them it isn't something to worry about. Cool, I can understand that and get behind it.

However, the ones you see constantly dismissing all the criticism, creating and abusing strawman arguments, and deathly afraid of admitting there are flaws here? They are simply console warriors. There is no other way you can look at it.

Last edited:

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I don't think the battlepass is predatory or anything. I think it is just bad. The BP has worked well across multiple game and multiple genres. 343 quite simply has implemented it poorly in this game. Very poorly. The progression method, the way they communicated it to the players, the rewards. All of it is bad.

MrFunSocks

Banned

Pretty sure Halo 5 had a post match celebration style screen with the winning team in the beta, but they then removed it because the "halo purists" hated it because there was too much "bravado", too "bro" like, and it "wasn't halo" - exactly like David Jaffe said in his video that no-one on here watched but everyone commented on.

Last edited:
yeah man sounds like thats the best way to be honestly. i have no idea what seasons, weeklies, events and battle passes and challenges even is. like i didnt even understand half of your post lol

whatever. let the rest of them fight over dressing up there cute little halo dolls. as for me and you, comrade, LETS GET SOME!

I made my armor blue though…because fuck that red team.

MrFunSocks

Banned

Games that don’t even have challenges or battle passes unlocking skins have these same problems though. A very large percentage of players are kids that just want to shoot bang things and get as many kills as they can, no matter what the objective is. It’s been this way since day 1 of video games, and it will be until the earth is gone. It happens in ranked too if you didn’t know.

MrFunSocks

Banned

I played the open flight and I could hardly tell the difference between walking speed and running speed, it felt like running was maybe 3% faster than walking. But now it feels like they made sprinting much faster because if I'm walking and my enemy is sprinting he/she/it/they will quickly leave me in the dust. Can someone please confirm?

Right after I played the flight I got on Twitter and complained directly to Bonnie Ross telling her that I couldn't tell any difference in speed between walking and running.

It’sa great change because yep, in the flight sprinting was basically a placebo with no advantage but big disadvantages. I’m so glad they increased the speed.

Sprint if one of the “classic halo” groups pet peeves that they didn’t want included, so the placebo sprint was 343s way of calming their nerves.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I swear...I must be cursed in this game. :lollipop_downcast_sweat:

Every multiplayer game I play that isn't co-op against bots is either I'm on a team where one person quits giving the opposing team an extra person advantage, or I'm facing people that were born with an XBox controller for hands and they do nothing but eat, sleep, and play Halo every moment of each day and have 99.9% accuracy from 100 yards away...while I'm stuck with a teammate that just learned that videogames exist and are figuring out how to move and shoot at the same time.

Bay Soldiers GIF

(Sorry...I'm not actually bitter. Just steppin' away from the game for a bit) :)

Last edited:

TIGERCOOL

Console Warriors, mate. Brain dead, limp dick little console warriors. That is the only excuse why you see people defending this shit.

EDIT: I will expand a bit as I am sure I will trigger one of them to create yet another strawman argument. If people like the core shooting enough and the content available as sufficient and don't consider these problems as big enough for them to worry about? That is one thing. They like the game, they see the problems, but to them it isn't something to worry about. Cool, I can understand that and get behind it.

However, the ones you see constantly dismissing all the criticism, creating and abusing strawman arguments, and deathly afraid of admitting there are flaws here? They are simply console warriors. There is no other way you can look at it.
Bro I already listed my own set of issues with the game... also I own a PS5 and a PC. Haven't owned an Xbox since the 360.

Robochobo

Man have there been some absolutely nasty messages I've received in the past couple of days. Imagine playing on M&K and getting destroyed by a thumb lol.

I'm enjoying it a lot. The graphics are clean, more than the sum of their parts type of deal. The ragdolls and physics, crucial to Halo with warthogs flipping all over the place was nailed. Idk what kind of legs the multiplayer will have. I'll be sacrilegious and say I would really like a battle royal mode.

Banned
I swear...I must be cursed in this game. :lollipop_downcast_sweat:

Every multiplayer game I play that isn't co-op against bots is either I'm on a team where one person quits giving the opposing team an extra person advantage, or I'm facing people that were born with an XBox controller for hands and they do nothing but eat, sleep, and play Halo every moment of each day and have 99.9% accuracy from 100 yards away...while I'm stuck with a teammate that just learned that videogames exist and are figuring out how to move and shoot at the same time.

Bay Soldiers GIF

(Sorry...I'm not actually bitter. Just steppin' away from the game for a bit) :)

the matchmaking seems wild for sure. and almost no match is actually close for me, it's either my team completely destroys the enemies or the other way around

Banned
Man have there been some absolutely nasty messages I've received in the past couple of days. Imagine playing on M&K and getting destroyed by a thumb lol.

controller is OP as fuck in this game. so this is the only game where I get M&K players being annoyed

jigglet

Banned
Every other game needs to lift their TTK significantly to make it work for BR.

Halo is the only one that wouldn't need to.

So from that perspective yeah I could see it working. Just replace the shield regeneration with a pick up and you're done.

Last edited:

twilo99

So from that perspective yeah I could see it working. Just replace the shield regeneration with a pick up and you're done.

If they want to stay relevant for a year or two, then need BR and it needs to be good.

Wrazone is really well done.. take some clues from that

Robochobo

controller is OP as fuck in this game. so this is the only game where I get M&K players being annoyed
I've had it happen a couple of times in various games, Smite being the biggest offender but honestly not to this extent in such a short amount of time. Find it hilarious.

Eh, Apex Legends TTK with purple and red shields rivals Halo. It runs the health and shield mechanics separately too. Honestly by mid-end game Apex is longer than Infinite in TTK. Infinite is about the shortest TTK I've seen in Halo. ODST firefight coop is probably on par with less mechanics.

Top Bottom