• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Multiplayer is out NOW

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
fast turn speed vs. free headshots :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Free headshots. I played the first 48 hours on M+K and I was doing great but today I switched to a controller and I was an unstoppable killing machine with almost every weapon.

It's truly ridiculous how easy it is to track enemy and score headshots. :messenger_hushed:

Banned
Free headshots. I played the first 48 hours on M+K and I was doing great but today I switched to a controller and I was an unstoppable killing machine with almost every weapon.

It's truly ridiculous how easy it is to track enemy and score headshots. :messenger_hushed:

the bullet magnet is fucking OP as hell. I posted that image twice already but here it is again,
THIS is literally a headshot on controller
J77qOC4.png

the only thing that annoys me playing on PC most of the time, you don't get any RRR (red reticle range) indication for most precision weapons. apparently that is so that cheat software can not be easily programmed to automatically hit the fire button whenever you aim at someone (the software basically monitors your screen and you can set specific triggers that activate it and make it so you automatically shoot)
the changing red reticle would make that super easy to do so it is gone on PC for the BR and most weapons. only Homing weapons still have it because they need it as their indicator that they will now home in on enemies.

not having a red reticle on controller is a bit annoying for me as a long time halo player, because you basically have to know when the bullet magnet will turn on. normally that is indicated by the Red Reticle as you can see in the console screenshot above

Last edited:

Banned
Yeah, content missing is not a permanent problem.. it will be fine

This is my sentiment

it will be a 6 months problem at least. no big updates are planned for season 1. just small ones.

and there IS A FUCKLOAD of missing stuff! and Forge will not be out for 9 months AT LEAST, and you and I know how release dates are nowadays... as in, not reliable at all... so 9 months is the generous estimate

Coop will not launch for another 6 months

I for one have ZERO confidence in 343 Industries, and they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt either after what they did with 4 and 5 (5 also launched extremely incomplete but that launch now looks like a feature powerhouse compared to infinite lol)
and especially not after lying ahead of the launch of Infinite... like how they constantly said the samurai armor seen in the trailer will be a free event skin unlock... turns out it's not, only the base armor core and 3 attachments are free, the rest are store items.

and then recently they lied and said they can't change the armor core system to be cross compatible with armor pieces from other armor cores... well, their own game proves them liars as Bots literally use armor configurations that mix different pieces from different armor cores.

they deserve ZERO confidence from fans to do what is right and good for the game, in my opinion

basically NOTHING they say should be taken as the truth or in any way seriously ever again. only what they release is what people should actually care about. their words are half lies and half deliberate smothering of facts. only actions count now as their words are worthless

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
it will be a 6 months problem at least. no big updates are planned for season 1. just small ones.

and there IS A FUCKLOAD of missing stuff! and Forge will not be out for 9 months AT LEAST, and you and I know how release dates are nowadays... as in, not reliable at all... so 9 months is the generous estimate

I for one have ZERO confidence in 343 Industries, and they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt either after what they did with 4 and 5 (5 also launched extremely incomplete but that launch now looks like a feature powerhouse compared to infinite lol)
and especially not after lying ahead of the launch of Infinite... like how they constantly said the samurai armor seen in the trailer will be a free event skin unlock... turns out it's not, only the base armor core and 3 attachments are free, the rest are store items.

and then recently they lied and said they can't change the armor core system to be cross compatible with armor pieces from other armor cores... well, their own game proves them liars as Bots literally use armor configurations that mix different pieces from different armor cores.

they deserve ZERO confidence from fans to do what is right and good for the game, in my opinion

basically NOTHING they say should be taken as the truth or in any way seriously ever again. only what they release is what people should actually care about. their words are half lies and half deliberate smothering of facts. only actions count now as their words are worthless

Yes 343 are shit...

...they only made the best playing halo multiplayer ever.

I've literally been glued to this game every single night and I can play it for hours and hours on end. The gameplay outside of the odd collision detection issue is perfect...like literally perfect.

But yes 343 are shit and deserve all of your vitriol.

Last edited:

Banned
Yes 343 are shit...

...they only made the best playing halo multiplayer ever.

I've literally been glued to this game every single night and I can play it for hours and hours on end. The gameplay outside of the odd collision detection issue is perfect...like literally perfect.

AND IT ONLY TOOK THEM... *looks at calendar*...
12 years! and constant backlash from fans! if it wasn't for said fans we would still play clunky Power Rangers In Space MLG simulator with 74° fov and shitty controls, aka. Halo 5 style Halo... or even worse CoD Spartan Warfare aka. Halo 4 style Halo.

343i only made Infinite the way it is after getting shat on for 7 years (after H4 launched) by the fans that constantly and rightfully shat on their gameplay/gamedesign decisions and their dogshit art style changes.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
12 years! and constant backlash from fans! if it wasn't for said fans we would still play clunky Power Rangers In Space MLG simulator with 74° fov and shitty controls, aka. Halo 5 style Halo... or even worse CoD Spartan Warfare aka. Halo 4 style Halo.

343i only made Infinite the way it is after getting shat on for 7 years (after H4 launched) by the fans that constantly and rightfully shat on their gameplay/gamedesign decisions and their dogshit art style changes.
Toxic as fuck! 💪

Banned
Toxic as fuck! 💪

100% correct as well. "Toxic" is an overused term used by people that have no real argument. I am correct with everything I said.
it literally took them 12 years to finally get the gameplay correct, 12 years to go back to the GOOD artstyle of classic halo instead of their awful shitstain of an artstyle they had in 4 and 5... and it took backlash like crazy to stop having all that nonsense Spartan Ability crap

all of that is simply facts. first they tried copying Call of Duty by implementing killstreaks, loadouts, weapon unlocks and perks... then they copied Titanfall by having weird movement because it was "the cool thing to have" at the time, and went way too hard into esports instead of having a well balanced set of maps and playstyles.

only now, after 12 years of constantly getting criticised by fans that they finally caved in and made a good Halo game (in terms of gameplay... the rest is worse than every Bungie halo basically)

Last edited:

Wimbledon

But hey lets not complain about it because that would be considered bitching......by some people in here.

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

I don't understand when 343i got this much defense by people when they have a consistent record of falling short EVERY SINGLE RELEASE.

I get it the story looks good, the multiplayer is fun but just because those things are true doesn't mean they are above criticism. We've had more content in previous games, I don't ever remember being in any thread when Bungie is in power complaining about the game, but i have been consistently on many different forums including this one criticizing 343i harshly because they never get it right.

They literally do the same things, content isn't all there or nowhere near the amount we expect from a halo game. Let's make people pay for customization that's premade and put it behind essentially a paywall when this was a BASIC feature in previous games where you didn't have to pay.YOu could customize the armor they're charging you for just by unlocking it, or earning by achievement or through progression. Forge mode YET AGAIN not at launch, co-campaign yet another feature missing. ONLINE IS SHIT IT KEEPS CRASHING YET AGAIN!

But you know what 343i didn't fail to put in their game the FUCKING SHOP! They made sure to put FRONT AND CENTER WHAT YOU CAN BUY! Then we have people defending this "they got to get paid somehow" Like bro they are trying to push predatory practices in this game, this isn't by accident and then their response will be "Well it is a free to play game" and as soon as people grow to accept some of this BECAUSE THATS EXACTLY WHAT THEY'RE HOPING FOR! They're going to push more monetization into this game.

I don't get the mentality of a lot gamers today, I HATE TO BE THAT GUY but back in my day games came out DONE, they were working properly and all the content was there working properly. Is it wrong to expect the same standard from 343i, because I don't think it's wrong to expect more from them? It should not always have to be an uphill battle Its fucking tiring.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Yes the feedback from fans is what makes the best playing halo ever. Nothing to do with the developers at all...you know those actually making it.

I don't care about 12 years I'm living in the now and if in 2021 I can have the best playing halo that literally shits all over the other fps that have released this last few years from a great height I'm gonna take it and be happy with it.

Why are you bringing up the history, play this game.

Banned
Yes the feedback from fans is what makes the best playing halo ever. Nothing to do with the developers at all...you know those actually making it.

I don't care about 12 years I'm living in the now and if in 2021 I can have the best playing halo that literally shits all over the other fps that have released this last few years from a great height I'm gonna take it and be happy with it.

Why are you bringing up the history, play this game.

why bring up the history? I'm sorry...? WHAT?

why bring up that Halo Reach had 10x as much content at launch, and it also worked basically flawlessly as well... why bring that up? are you serious?
Halo Reach had a development cycle of 3 years! This one had 6 years and 10x the budget and yet launches in the state it does? WTF? how am I supposed to not bring that up? are we now just ignoring how a past entry in the SAME FRANCHISE was way better at the time of release than the new entry is now?

I mean fuck it right, you should tell that some car manufacturers! Tell Porsche that all they need to do is make a new 911 that drives really well, but lacks airbags, ABS, a modern stereo system, GPS, power windows... it should just drive really really well right? why bother with that other shit that the best recent 911s have! FUCK IT! all you need is a fast car!

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
100% correct as well. "Toxic" is an overused term used by people that have no real argument. I am correct with everything I said.
it literally took them 12 years to finally get the gameplay correct, 12 years to go back to the GOOD artstyle of classic halo instead of their awful shitstain of an artstyle they had in 4 and 5... and it took backlash like crazy to stop having all that nonsense Spartan Ability crap

all of that is simply facts. first they tried copying Call of Duty by implementing killstreaks, loadouts, weapon unlocks and perks... then they copied Titanfall by having weird movement because it was "the cool thing to have" at the time, and went way too hard into esports instead of having a well balanced set of maps and playstyles.

only now, after 12 years of constantly getting criticised by fans that they finally caved in and made a good Halo game (in terms of gameplay... the rest is worse than every Bungie halo basically)

This is absolute peak insanity to me.

Hate to tell this to you but bungie doesn't make halo anymore and they make a game called destiny now...its shit.

Banned
This is absolute peak insanity to me.

Hate to tell this to you but bungie doesn't make halo anymore and they make a game called destiny now...its shit.

yeah which is why Halo was so shit for 12 years :) but what does that have to do with what I am saying? 343 took 12 years to release a Halo game that feels like Halo, and even tho they finally got that down they launch it in the most incomplete manner any Halo has aver launched.

K' Dash

Although I'm enjoying the MP I think I'm done with it 😅

I'm going to wait for the Campaign, play that and be done with it. Half the fun is playing with your friends and I just can't do hour+ long sessions, I only play when my 4 month old baby girl is sleeping and when she wakes up I drop everything and go be with her.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

why bring up that Halo Reach had 10x as much content at launch, and it also worked basically flawlessly as well... why bring that up? are you serious?
Halo Reach had a development cycle of 3 years! This one had 6 years and 10x the budget and yet launches in the state it does? WTF? how am I supposed to not bring that up? are we now just ignoring how a past entry in the SAME FRANCHISE was way better at the time of release than the new entry is now?

I mean fuck it right, you should tell that some car manufacturers! Tell Porsche that all they need to do is make a new 911 that drives really well, but lacks airbags, ABS, a modern stereo system, GPS, power windows... it should just drive really really well right? why bother with that other shit that the best recent 911s have! FUCK IT! all you need is a fast car!

Are you genuinely OK? This is a bit extreme to me. Please just try to chill out.

It's just a fun game. :)

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If people paid for this game it wouldn’t even be considered in top 10 shooters this year alone.

It’s free , it’s light fun and it’s nostalgia with a dash of hype.

Hope the campaign is better.
People would have happily paid 25 quid for this but millions more will play for free.

Last edited:

TheShocker

What’s everyone’s take on the surging reports in aimbot/wall hacks?

I’ve played the game just enough to run into some suspect stuff, but I’ve also played halo since Xbox connect days to know there are some truly insane players.

I have major doubts with crossplay enabled f2p games after the shit show that Warzone turned out to be. I hope that if it becomes prevalent in infinite that MS squashed it fast.

But the simplest solution is the option to turn crossplay with PC off.

jakinov

Halo Reach has the opportunity to be more interative and has the advantage to be made at a time with lower standards (graphics and what not). If you build off Halo 3 and ODST and have 3 years without needing to really advance your systems very much you can probably add a lot more content on top of what was on Halo 3 and ODST. In general modern games have elss and elss content the predecessors. Every generation you see less and less auxiliary modes or features. Each skin and each map is going to take way more time and way more resources than ever before and with a new engine many parts of the games will have be re-written from scratch which takes again a lot more time than building of fof Halo 3/ODST. With a new engine they are likely going to have rebuild things like forge from scratch. Even if the development cycle is longer, a good chunk of it isn't actually spent on development but on planning and if they are building a lot from scratch it's going to eat up a lot of time. Based on leaks/rumors they had a lot of problems (that they created themselves) and the extra year of development wasn't really hard development time but course correction time and repolish time.

With all that said 343 still has a lot of room for improvement and should be critisized for their lack of technical prowness and for some of the desing descisions made in terms of progression. The bugs are excusable until launch because it's still technically an early access BETA. But I wouldn' dwell too much on what Reach had and what Inifnite doesn't have. Because even if 343 didn't screw up with the development, they probably still wouldn't have nearly as much content as Reach. At least not at launch.

DoomGyver

I’ve played the game just enough to run into some suspect stuff, but I’ve also played halo since Xbox connect days to know there are some truly insane players.

I have major doubts with crossplay enabled f2p games after the shit show that Warzone turned out to be. I hope that if it becomes prevalent in infinite that MS squashed it fast.

There have been videos of hacking for a few days now. They were probably creating them during the alpha flights.

twilo99

After playing for a week now, yes, the game is very good.

Its my first Halo, and from my perspective, which is mainly Quake, they've really simplified the whole experience so you can simply concentrate on movement and shooting. No need to worry about collecting armor, health, weapons, timings, etc. In a sense its very "bare bones" but it works great and I can see why the previous version were also successful.

In a sense this is a very accessible game for most people, even if you don't have much experience with FPS games, chances are high you would be enjoying this from the get go.

I can't really think of another shooter that can provide all that at such a "low key" entry level.

GG

Papacheeks

Banned

Which indicates to me the bigger issue in how this was designed for PC players.

Joho79

Played a few games tonight. My first halo multiplayer experience. I get STOMPED but I really like it. I will definitely play this more and hopefully get to stomp back sometime.
I read a lot about the graphics being previous gen. That’s bollocks though, really good looking game and very plays very smooth!

Banned
The commando is so hard to aim. I give up with it.

it is also just not worth it. the BR destroys it at every distance and the AR destroys it in close range and even rivals it at medium range

they nerfed it to the ground after the test flight, which is fucking weird as it already was pretty balanced due to the recoil.

if anything I think they should have left the damage the same but increased the recoil so that it is hard to use but powerful...
as it is now it's annoying to use and weak 🙃

I'm having a total blast and I feel vast progression from the release comparatively. I had a lot of bad habits that carried over from other fps games to get over.
I still have trouble with randoms on the objective type games because most seem to play Oddball at least terrible. Although they play strongholds marginally better on average

Here's why this progression system is a joke and is the worst
Play 3 oddball matches
Win 3 slayer matches
Played 8 matches didn't got 1 oddball match and lost the only 2 slayer matches that I got , I can handle the losses but for fuks sake atleast give me the modes that I need to progress

Which indicates to me the bigger issue in how this was designed for PC players.
And yet the developers thought it was OK to have Cross play turned On by default.

Modern gaming ladies and gentlemen. I never would have imagined that decisions like this would be a common thing. Now we have Halo of all games forcing console players against m+k. Aren't the developers of legendary franchises like Halo supposed to understand game design and how important a level playing field is to an fps multiplayer? They should know this better than the average gamer but they have no problem ruining the experience in their persuit of larger population #'s and therefore more potential "battlepass" buyers.

Halo has gone all in on "modern gaming" trends. They've sold out. The free to play model is going to bring lots of annoyances like this. Samurai Spartans and stupid multicolored skins that will just get dumber and dumber too. That's another topic thougj.

MrFunSocks

Banned
And yet the developers thought it was OK to have Cross play turned On by default.

Modern gaming ladies and gentlemen. I never would have imagined that decisions like this would be a common thing. Now we have Halo of all games forcing console players against m+k. Aren't the developers of legendary franchises like Halo supposed to understand game design and how important a level playing field is to an fps multiplayer? They should know this better than the average gamer but they have no problem ruining the experience in their persuit of larger population #'s and therefore more potential "battlepass" buyers.

Halo has gone all in on "modern gaming" trends. They've sold out. The free to play model is going to bring lots of annoyances like this. Samurai Spartans and stupid multicolored skins that will just get dumber and dumber too. That's another topic thougj.
Most players agree that for Halo Infinite the controller is better than M+K though.

I also completely disagree on your last paragraph. Halo Infinite has regressed away from "modern gaming trends". Halo 4 was an attempt at modern gaming trends. Halo 5 was a perfect "bring halo into the modern day while maintaining its uniqueness", and Infinite is a great middle ground between Halo 3 and Halo 5.

I’m having a great time with this game. Act like the progression system and gross monetization do not exist and just have a good time.

Same. I unlocked the samurai armour and am at like level 15 or so without giving a single shit about completing challenges. I've got the default armor with one of the standard colours, and the AR skin that came with my NERF gun. That's probably what I'll be using until the day I stop playing Infinite. I pity the people that can't just enjoy playing a game without having unlocks and bar filling animations thrown at them constanty.

Last edited:

Banned

more like forcing Mouse players to get fucking annihilated by Controller players

•first of all, Controller shits on mouse in Infinite.
•second of all, you can use both input methods on console and PC so this is not a PC vs Console thing.
•and thirdly, ranked, the important mode when it comes to balance, has separated playlist options for mouse and controller

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned

I turned off crossplay tonight and matchmaking tonight feels better, (and just as fast)

On the siesta Playlist the other day it felt like there were 2 ppl sprinting around the map swording me in the back no matter where I was on the map.

Maybe its placebo but I doubt it. 🤷‍♂️

MrFunSocks

Banned
I turned off crossplay tonight and matchmaking tonight feels better, (and just as fast)

On the siesta Playlist the other day it felt like there were 2 ppl sprinting around the map swording me in the back no matter where I was on the map.

Maybe its placebo but I doubt it. 🤷‍♂️
Fiesta is an unbalanced mess by design. Giving one player a Spanker and a sword on spawn verse someone with a carving and energy pistol is a non contest.

The weapons are super unbalanced to begin with, so making it random spawns makes it 10x worse. If you get a sword lie basically guaranteed a kill streak unless you’re terrible.

guns like the plasma pistol, carbine, commando, and pretty much every other covenant weapon are completely useless. Even the needler of trash in infinite.

Naked Lunch

The gameplay on Infinite is just too fucking good. I went back and played MCC Reach and that game's mp is really bad in comparison - still fun but no where close to the same league. Halo 3 is still the business though.

Reading the Infinite Game Informer article makes it sound like theyre going to support this game for years - with tons of constant updates - and the inevitable new, separate campaigns. Staten said with past Halos there were minor DLCs, but it was always on to the next core Halo game - but with this one there wont be a multi year long wait - its all going to be added to Infinite itself.

The commando is so hard to aim. I give up with it.
Heres my trick - use tap fire only. Im talking single shots only. Never hold the trigger down, not even for a second.

Kagey K

Banned
Fiesta is an unbalanced mess by design. Giving one player a Spanker and a sword on spawn verse someone with a carving and energy pistol is a non contest.

The weapons are super unbalanced to begin with, so making it random spawns makes it 10x worse. If you get a sword lie basically guaranteed a kill streak unless you’re terrible.

guns like the plasma pistol, carbine, commando, and pretty much every other covenant weapon are completely useless. Even the needler of trash in infinite.
I like the carbine I can 3 shot ppl with it pretty constantly, and no scope the shit out of ppl with the Skewer.

After I shut crossplay off it felt like the sword players weren't running around finding everyone in wierd spots ppl shouldn't be, but like I said it might be placebo.

I won't be turning it back on until I have q hard time matchmaking.

Kagey K

Banned
The gameplay on Infinite is just too fucking good. I went back and played MCC Reach and that game's mp is really bad in comparison - still fun but no where close to the same league. Halo 3 is still the business though.

Reading the Infinite Game Informer article makes it sound like theyre going to support this game for years - with tons of constant updates - and the inevitable new, separate campaigns. Staten said with past Halos there were minor DLCs, but it was always on to the next core Halo game - but with this one there wont be a multi year long wait - its all going to be added to Infinite itself.

Heres my trick - use tap fire only. Im talking single shots only. Never hold the trigger down, not even for a second.
Yep halo has always been about managing fire. I even feather the assault rifle like it's a burst weapon.

People blow full clips missing me while I still have some in the chamber after they die, or I have half a clip while they are reloading.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I like the carbine I can 3 shot ppl with it pretty constantly, and no scope the shit out of ppl with the Skewer.

After I shut crossplay off it felt like the sword players weren't running around finding everyone in wierd spots ppl shouldn't be, but like I said it might be placebo.

I won't be turning it back on until I have q hard time matchmaking.
The carbine that shoots the 3 super slow shots at once? The shots just travel way too slowly and don’t seek enough. The covenant BR equivalent is decent.

The skewer is good fun, though it’s basically a worse sniper rifle. Yeh it’s single shot but it’s harder to aim with the drop and slower speed.

IMO the main problem with the sword is the terrible footstep audio. You just can’t hear people coming, especially behind you, until they’re on top of you.

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

So much for that massive M&K advantage.

So much for that "lowest aim assist Halo has ever had" nonsense too.

Halo:CE/3/Reach had 30-35% average accuracy. Infinite is 45-50%

Babies first fps levels of aim assist.

Where can I see how many Halo Bux or whatever they are called I have? The balance doesn't pop up when prompting to buy something which is where I would expect it to be.
Edit: NM, I guess it only shows up in the shop.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned

So much for that massive M&K advantage.

So much for that "lowest aim assist Halo has ever had" nonsense too.

Halo:CE/3/Reach had 30-35% average accuracy. Infinite is 45-50%

Babies first fps levels of aim assist.

It’s not quite that easy of a comparison though. Controllers are significantly better now, as is input latency, customisation of controls, and also the game is now 60/120 fps vs 30fps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom