• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Multiplayer is out NOW

MrFunSocks

Banned
No, what? Why would it be something wrong with m+k? I'm diamond on a controller in a controller only playlist. M+K has nothing to do with it.

It's pretty clear looking at stats what's the problem here. And it's not really a problem, it's a choice 343 made. Halo is a console franchise and it's understandable that they lean towards controller. But they marketed the game as console and pc shooter. And with the current state of aa there's not a single chance that the game will survive, let alone thrive, on pc. Tweaking it It's for the sake of the game now that they finally nailed the gameplay.
Play it on PC with a controller, that's what I do when I play it on PC. It's how halo has always been made to be played since it is a console game first and foremost.

Banned
Hit Diamond today, feels good to dust off the rust.

where did you get placed and how long did it take you rank up? I am still debating about trying to rank up myself, but I have heard it can be super random and slow due to various random things the game tracks.

I got ranked in at Platinum 3 on controller... I don't know why or if that is a high placement after doing your 10 matches... but I felt a bit underwhelmed lol... I won 8 of my 10 placements and had always a positive K/D. one match my K/D in a Slayer round was 13/2... and we won an Oddball round 200 to 0 with my K/D being ridiculous (can't remember but I only died once, must have been at least 15/1 + a shitload of assists and 70+% accuracy)

Last edited:

Marvel

could never
where did you get placed and how long did it take you rank up? I am still debating about trying to rank up myself, but I have heard it can be super random and slow due to various random things the game tracks.

I got ranked in at Platinum 3 on controller... I don't know why or if that is a high placement after doing your 10 matches... but I felt a bit underwhelmed lol... I won 8 of my 10 placements and had always a positive K/D. one match my K/D in a Slayer round was 13/2... and we won an Oddball round 200 to 0 with my K/D being ridiculous (can't remember but I only died once, must have been at least 15/1 + a shitload of assists and 70+% accuracy)
In crossplay playlist I got plat 1, solo controller plat 5. It didn't take long at all to get from 5 to diamond. I really haven't played much ranked.

Jeeves

I'm brand spanking new to this game and Halo in general but are you guys saying I can use one of my 360 controllers on PC and I won't be at a disadvantage? That might be pretty comfortable.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I'm brand spanking new to this game and Halo in general but are you guys saying I can use one of my 360 controllers on PC and I won't be at a disadvantage? That might be pretty comfortable.
Sure can.

good to hear, then I might actually play some ranked and try to get diamond or even Onyx
I got Plat 1 in cross play playlist after my placements and am halfway through platinum 5, moving up pretty easily. Quite a few times I've got half a bar of experience per match. Even most times when my team loses I'm either losing no progress or still making progress towards the next level. Seems like a pretty good system so far. When I'm going 24-10 in slayer and we lose because someone else went 3-20, it doesn't make sense to drop my rank, and thankfully they seem to understand this.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Love to hear that, BR start is way more fun too and I prefer no radar. You got this.
After playing ranked I just have no desire to go back to social. The BR in this game is great (even though I prefer the look and sound of the Halo 5 one). I'll play social if/when SWAT comes back.

IDappa

Man I need to tell those PC players who were turning on a dime and not missing with precision weapons last night that they are actually really disadvantaged and they should complain about being in onyx because they could be MLG pros with a controller..

On the other hand I need to tell my mate who isn't very good and averages 3 K 20 D per match can be instantly changed to a God tier player my going into the settings and turning on his aim hacks.

Banned
Man I need to tell those PC players who were turning on a dime and not missing with precision weapons last night that they are actually really disadvantaged and they should complain about being in onyx because they could be MLG pros with a controller..

On the other hand I need to tell my mate who isn't very good and averages 3 K 20 D per match can be instantly changed to a God tier player my going into the settings and turning on his aim hacks.

I already mentioned this, but turning fast in Halo is not needed. Halo pros play on super low sensitivity on a Controller and have no issue controlling the whole map.
if you need to turn around fast in a Halo match, your team sucks... that's basically how it is. you should always know where enemies spawn in if you control the map correctly

but I also hope they give us the option to at least double the sensitivity on controller from what it is now, simply because it feels awful to me to play with such a slow max sensitivity. I am super used to fast turn speeds to the point where even the way faster max sensitivity in Apex Legends feels somewhat slow to me, let alone the sensitivity in infinite

Last edited:

dem

Anyone else find it really hard to tell what equipment you have?

Maybe I’m blind I can’t tell if I have a grapple or a burst thing or what.

Last edited:

Banned

some of the icons are a bit weird and not really intuitive, like don't even know what the icon of the Repulsor is supposed to represent. I think it's just a matter of getting used to it and getting used to where to look in the HUD.

this would of course be less of an issue if 343 didn't have that stupid idea of making weapon and equipment spawns completely random outside of ranked... because then you would know which spawns on which map and would not really get confused about it.

Last edited:

Near your nade indicator. Circle thing is the detector, arrow looking thing is grapple, Square thing is drop wall, Chief's helmet is invisibility,.

Go into the academy training mode. In the training option settings you can change equipment so that you can get the hang of what they are and what they look like.
Set the bots to zero enemies and zero allies so that you can play around in the space with the equipment

IDappa

I already mentioned this, but turning fast in Halo is not needed. Halo pros play on super low sensitivity on a Controller and have no issue controlling the whole map.
if you need to turn around fast in a Halo match, your team sucks... that's basically how it is. you should always know where enemies spawn in if you control the map correctly

but I also hope they give us the option to at least double the sensitivity on controller from what it is now, simply because it feels awful to me to play with such a slow max sensitivity. I am super used to fast turn speeds to the point where even the way faster max sensitivity in Apex Legends feels somewhat slow to me, let alone the sensitivity in infinite
Just because the pros don't house high sense doesn't mean it's not an advantage. I've stuck up on guys a fair few times for them to just 180 instantly on me. Sometimes it doesn't save them and sometimes it does.

I'm I'm going to object to more controller customisation. Everyone has a preference. I just wish I could give the sniper a little more aim acceleration as I only have it set to 1 and that suits me.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Bubble Shield is just unique and iconic Halo in both utility and visual design.

It should make a come back. Make it strong against ballistic and plasma weapons. Make it last long. But make it weak to electric weapons. For example each shot with a Shock Rifle anywhere in the bubble would deal damage to anyone inside. One dynamo grenade explosion close to the bubble would instantly cook everyone inside. This type of thing.

830fde360339a1d3c6d9fcd83114596a.jpg

anthony2690

Banned
they literally split the event out over 3 months... that is not a joke, this is actually how they gonna do it...
so you basically have all week to finish all the available challenges. then the event will be completely gone until JANUARY... at which point you will be able to progress further into the event pass... after that 1 week in January, it will go on hold AGAIN until February, at which point the final week of the event will be held and you will be able to actually finish it.

this is the worst event structure ever conceived for a live service game... it is so mindbogglingly stupid that it's hard to even describe without it sounding like some parody or made up shit

I know everyone is acting outraged currently, but I finished all my challenges for the week within 2 hours with exp boost, they are very easy to finish. (Minus the ultimate one, what I did the next day)

On the plus side, it gives people with less time to play a chance to finish the free pass, as long as they finish 5/7 off the challenges each time the event rolls round.

I also think the game benefits/will level up faster those that play less each day during the week, as you'll probably play with weekly challenges to unlock still.

But if you no life the game, you'll level up much slower as you spend more time only getting 50 exp per game.

My only complaints with the game so far, is the prices of items on the store, if they cut the prices by 2/3, I would probably buy a bunch of stuff, £12 for the sword is a no for me, despite wanting it. :(

Oh and no playlists, there is only so much oddball one man can take, I feel like I've lost 90% off my oddball games.

TheShocker

I turned off crossplay tonight and matchmaking tonight feels better, (and just as fast)

On the siesta Playlist the other day it felt like there were 2 ppl sprinting around the map swording me in the back no matter where I was on the map.

Maybe its placebo but I doubt it. 🤷‍♂️
How are you turning it off? I tried it at the system level and it didn’t seem to stop me from playing against PC players. Ranked you can select controller only, but they could still be on computer.

Uiki

Play it on PC with a controller, that's what I do when I play it on PC. It's how halo has always been made to be played since it is a console game first and foremost.
That is the stupidest reasoning EVER. And you don't really need to tell me that, I played like 10k matches between h2 and h3..

This is the marketing THEY put out

not me. 343. I perfectly aware that halo was played on controller. H5 on pc is a disgrace but no one expected more........ because it was made with controller in mind. But when you market your game as both pc and console... you expect at least parity. Hell, even a slight aid to controllers since it's impossible to keep up with m+k otherwise. But not like this......... It's not like having controllers and m+k is a problem on warzone or fortnite.

And the sad part is that saying "play it on a controller on pc duuuh" doesn't really work or solve anything (like separate playlists based on input). We have a precedent: it killed mcc on pc. It will kill infinite on pc as well.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Bubble Shield is just unique and iconic Halo in both utility and visual design.

It should make a come back. Make it strong against ballistic and plasma weapons. Make it last long. But make it weak to electric weapons. For example each shot with a Shock Rifle anywhere in the bubble would deal damage to anyone inside. One dynamo grenade explosion close to the bubble would instantly cook everyone inside. This type of thing.

830fde360339a1d3c6d9fcd83114596a.jpg
Maybe this would give the Disrupter an actual purpose.

Orbital2060

I managed to clear the ultimate challenge, but Im a pretty average skilled player and struggled with the 5 killing sprees for the last task. I get some killing sprees but not usually on command and the downside is that some of the challenges make you play the games in such a way that its both detrimental for your team and also makes the game no fun when all youre asked to do is that one simple but difficult task. I think there should be some kind of reward for your performance even though its just 1 XP for a kill, 2 XP for a headshot, 3 XP for a multikill, and so on. Then people can sit and farm all day and at least feel that theyre paid for the time they put in. And 343 can adjust the XP level reqs to balance the grind for it so its maybe not 1000 XP per level but a number that makes sense if they start dishing out some more regular XP for performance. Or have several events with different challenges that intertwine so you always get paid from one quest or other..

If I could make a suggestion for the battle pass rewards, it would be that the Challenge Swaps gave you an option to choose what challenge you want to trade to, with maybe three options you can choose from. Just to personalise your journey through the challenges, because people play the game differently. Then you can choose between a sniper challenge if youre good at that, or just a win 3 games challenge for something easier..

Either way, had a great time playing this the last week and great to see 343 staff out playing with people, and watching over fights I guess because I saw them a lot on the scoreboards but not in the actual combats. I think. There are sometimes 5 or 6 players on one side, Ive assumed those extra were 343 referees.

G-DannY

... great to see 343 staff out playing with people, and watching over fights I guess because I saw them a lot on the scoreboards but not in the actual combats. I think. There are sometimes 5 or 6 players on one side, Ive assumed those extra were 343 referees.

they are just fill up bots lol
they enter the game as soon as someone leaves, and leave the game when someone other join.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Bots shouldn't be dropping into Social Slayer matches when someone quits. Giving the other team 17 free kills is not cool.
Dropping bots in objective modes is fine, I guess - but not slayer.

Last edited:

twilo99

That is the stupidest reasoning EVER. And you don't really need to tell me that, I played like 10k matches between h2 and h3..

This is the marketing THEY put out

not me. 343. I perfectly aware that halo was played on controller. H5 on pc is a disgrace but no one expected more........ because it was made with controller in mind. But when you market your game as both pc and console... you expect at least parity. Hell, even a slight aid to controllers since it's impossible to keep up with m+k otherwise. But not like this......... It's not like having controllers and m+k is a problem on warzone or fortnite.

And the sad part is that saying "play it on a controller on pc duuuh" doesn't really work or solve anything (like separate playlists based on input). We have a precedent: it killed mcc on pc. It will kill infinite on pc as well.

How do you propose they balance it? As we know from the other games you mentioned, its almost impossible. I think CoD has done a decent job, there are still a few pro players that can compete with controllers on PC, where with Halo it seems there will be mostly PC controller players ruling the pro scene.

jakinov

Bots shouldn't be dropping into Social Slayer matches when someone quits. Giving the other team 17 free kills is not cool.
Dropping bots in objective modes is fine, I guess - but not slayer.
I feel like the bots aren’t even the best ones they have as well. They seemed a bit tougher in bots mode on highest difficulty. They should make bots dynamically be OP based on their score so they always even out and play normally otherwise. In theory a bot can instantly snap on to players and aim with 100% accuracy if the bot is dragging the team down it should even itself out. Having the bot there is important in the team fights as they eat bullets and dish out bullets.

Uiki

How do you propose they balance it? As we know from the other games you mentioned, its almost impossible. I think CoD has done a decent job, there are still a few pro players that can compete with controllers on PC, where with Halo it seems there will be mostly PC controller players ruling the pro scene.
I don't think it's really possibile without hindering controllers and having people crying left and right. I mean.. there's people saying the aim assist is too low already.
The ability to track strafing players without effort is the problem here.. you can tweak that for sure and 343 should try (we are in beta, no? no harm in trying stuff now)but that means the average player missing shots and having to manually tracking targets and countless of reddit topics about broken aa.

There are a couple of things they can try but are substantial changes. In games where the strafe is that fast (think cs for example) you can have animations that "telegraph" the change in direction and help tracking the models. You can up the accelleration from stand still, so changing strafe direction takes time. You can even add a tagging system slowing your strafe speed (doesn't really fit halo imho but it can be an inspiration for better system) based on what weapon hits you.

Controller and m+k will never be on the same level... they just need to tweak them to be close and somehow fair. Picking up m+k in upper diamond and onyx right now is just handicapping yourself and that should change. Having different playlist is just hiding the problem under the carpet: no one will play the game on pc with m+k in the long run and no pro player/tournament will be played on m+k. It's already evident in the HCS open they are playing right now.

Of course, nothing is gonna happen and snip3down sums it up perfectly:

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

I feel like the bots aren’t even the best ones they have as well. They seemed a bit tougher in bots mode on highest difficulty. They should make bots dynamically be OP based on their score so they always even out and play normally otherwise. In theory a bot can instantly snap on to players and aim with 100% accuracy if the bot is dragging the team down it should even itself out. Having the bot there is important in the team fights as they eat bullets and dish out bullets.
The bots are useless. I lost 2 social slayer matches last night because someone quit and the bot went 2-17 and 3-19.
They are also buggy - I followed a bot going for overshield - but since it already had equipment I guess, it just sat on the overshield moving back and forth.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I decided to jump into ranked playlist for the first time. I got rather unlucky as at least one of my teammates left in 3 out of 10 matches. I pushed through and ranked Platinum I. Played 3 more matches and now I'm Platinum II.

I don't know why I've waited so long. Ranked is so much more fun than social. BR start and no radar is just chief's kiss. :messenger_heart:

Phase

Ranked is so much more fun than social. BR start and no radar is just chief's kiss. :messenger_heart:
100%. No radar is the way I want it to be regardless, and I've always felt this way. Without radar awareness and prediction become way more important, and it really gets me into the match. Also, it's more fun. Imagine being in BTB and sneaking up on a whole group unaware. There are so many more options, but with radar they'll just turn and shoot.

Last edited:

Graciaus

So I've been playing against bots for about an hour and a half now and I'd have to say I'm disappointing. They don't play anything like a human and they seem to always do the same thing. Example I think the map is called Live Fire instead of some rushing the power weapon at the start of the match they all go around. Recruit they don't have hands and Spartan isn't even hard either. They popshot you from super far away with perfect accuracy instantly but won't kill you. What is dangerous is they switch to the pistol from a BR and can obliterate you up close. Only tried this since it was the only way to get slayer every time.

Sakura

The bots are useless. I lost 2 social slayer matches last night because someone quit and the bot went 2-17 and 3-19.
They are also buggy - I followed a bot going for overshield - but since it already had equipment I guess, it just sat on the overshield moving back and forth.
It was probably trying to keep the enemy from getting the overshield, so a teammate could get it.
I feel like the bot AI was overexaggerated during the betas (I didn't get a chance to play during then). Even Spartan difficulty is pretty easy to dominate.
They don't seem to be able to make on the fly decisions (ie dropping the flag to pull out a gun) and aren't very good at grenade tosses.
They're fine for target practice though.

twilo99

There are a couple of things they can try but are substantial changes. In games where the strafe is that fast (think cs for example) you can have animations that "telegraph" the change in direction and help tracking the models. You can up the accelleration from stand still, so changing strafe direction takes time. You can even add a tagging system slowing your strafe speed (doesn't really fit halo imho but it can be an inspiration for better system) based on what weapon hits you.

Very interesting, I didn't know about any of this. I'm sure they are actually trying to balance it as best as they can, its just tricky. Perhaps there is some bias towards console/controller, but I doubt they are purposefully trying to chase away m/k players. We'll see I guess.

I am enjoying the game with m/k, but I'm like gold 6 or whatever so at that level I don't think it matters all that much, like you say, at the higher skill levels it will be much harder.

Top Bottom