• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Multiplayer is out NOW

DavidGzz

It's natural to want the glory for yourself when it comes to kills but damn if it isn't smarter to find at least one teammate before you engage. One of you may die but at least you're breaking even instead of handing the other team a point when you're solo. Once I started doing that, the game became more fun and addictive instead of frustrating.

Andodalf

Banned
It's natural to want the glory for yourself when it comes to kills but damn if it isn't smarter to find at least one teammate before you engage. One of you may die but at least you're breaking even instead of handing the other team a point when you're solo. Once I started doing that, the game became more fun and addictive instead of frustrating.
Slayer is basically made to be played in pairs. So much more effective

No there's going to be a free event running basically all the time. This weeks was the free 20th anniversary stuff, but that had no challenges it was just given for free. It's basically another Battlepass, but free and only like 20 or 30 tiers, and all progress you put into it goes onto the normal one as well.
Oh cool

Banned
Good call on locking your framerate. I just trust the VRR to do it's job, but not sure how much it effects my aim.. it doesn't seem to be a handicap thus far.

Performance wise I have no idea what's going on with this engine.. its definitely different from anything else I've dealt with. I think there is a lot to come in terms of optimization on PC. One thing I am noticing, same with forza I guess, is that the difference in quality between low and high is rather negligible.

the game also doesn't like Gsync is what I found, the game feels definitely smoother after locking tge framerate to half refresh for me.
I think Digital Foundry noticed something similar on Series X during their Campaign preview video they did. I think they said the game felt stuttery even on a VRR TV, and I kinda feel the same when using Gsync...
I kinda feel the engine doesn't like fluctuating frametimes.

it could be a similar issue Prey on PC has, that game does not like variable framerates whatsoever. camera movement and character movement will SLIIIIGHTLY differ depending on framerate I found. so when I played that on my old PC, which could not hold a steady 144fps (refresh of my monitor) of course (that GTX1070 was good but not that good), I noticed that as soon as I move and the framerate fluctuates everything felt stuttery even tho I have Gsync...

so I locked the framerate and it was absolutely smooth from there on out.

I feelt similar issues with Infinite but not quite as bad as in Prey, more subtle... it feels more like a slight frame stutter from time to time to me, where prey felt like it had constant hard framedrops.

jigglet

Banned
Does anyone find it weird the Repulsor's icon looks just like an energy sword? It always confuses me when I first pick it up. There's a million different icons they could have gone with but they seriously chose that?

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
No there's going to be a free event running basically all the time. This weeks was the free 20th anniversary stuff, but that had no challenges it was just given for free. It's basically another Battlepass, but free and only like 20 or 30 tiers, and all progress you put into it goes onto the normal one as well.
It's worth noting that apparently this one will be available for a week, then leave and return 4 times during Season 1.

Razvedka

Banned
That's halo, for better or worse. Halo has always had grenades flying all over the place all the time. I'm not having any trouble with them, either dying or getting kills.

Most that I've played do this too, not sure what these people are talking about. PUBG gives you a server connection error message when you resume it, you press A and it takes you back to the main menu.
Are you playing the current ranked mode in the diamond/onyx tier? We're not playing unranked. That's something I should have mentioned. Edit: Though I wish we were playing unranked, but my friends just won't stand for it. Anything without a BR start is not viable to them.

Halo's grenades have varied over the years though, in terms of damage, quantity, blast radius etc.

Also, really wish Infinite's ranked had radar. And melee wasnt borked.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Are you playing the current ranked mode in the diamond/onyx tier? We're not playing unranked. That's something I should have mentioned. Edit: Though I wish we were playing unranked, but my friends just won't stand for it. Anything without a BR start is not viable to them.

Halo's grenades have varied over the years though, in terms of damage, quantity, blast radius etc.

Also, really wish Infinite's ranked had radar. And melee wasnt borked.
I’m really digging the no radar a lot more than I thought, encourages solid play as a team and smart rotations.

Melee being broken is wack though

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Had a monster night last night. Just felt in the zone. Still missed completing all the weekly's because the challenges suck. Does anyone know how what the weekly reward is and what happens if you miss it?

Banned
Had a monster night last night. Just felt in the zone. Still missed completing all the weekly's because the challenges suck. Does anyone know how what the weekly reward is and what happens if you miss it?

if you muss it you don't get it, very simple.
it's always shown on the right in your challenges. last week it was a visor color.

due to their weekly challenge reeet and rework everyone who logs in from now until I think the end of the week, will get that reward even if you didn't complete the challenges

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This week's reward was a visor, but everyone gets it because they changed the xp after all the bitching.

if you muss it you don't get it, very simple.
it's always shown on the right in your challenges. last week it was a visor color.

due to their weekly challenge reeet and rework everyone who logs in from now until I think the end of the week, will get that reward even if you didn't complete the challenges
Cool thanks! So I am off the hook this week. I realized too late in the week that playing so much BTB was hurting me with challenge completion simply due to the length of the matches.

Hope the challenges are better next week. I think they should give a free daily challenge swap.

Last edited:

Wimbledon

I love what ive been playing but the progression system is very predatory. This video sums up my thoughts on what they've implemented. I haven't bought the battle pass but I can't customize, everything is premade, it keeps telling me to buy the battle pass even im unlocking stuff i cant put it on because i dont have the battle pass, the shop everything in there should be available to you i shouldn't have to buy it i should just be able to unlock majority of the shit they have in there. But what bothers me most is we can't vote on what we want to play, it's random PLAYERS DONT GET AN OPTION TO CHOOSE WEHAT GAMETYPE THEY WANT TO PLAY. I don't understand they go 3 steps forward and several steps back.

343i is shooting themselves in the foot here they need to make changes asap especially to the multiplayer. Their not giving people any freedom here, but what bothers me most of all is they said they weren't doing this.

When this comes out it will be a shit storm in this community.

tmlDan

I love what ive been playing but the progression system is very predatory. This video sums up my thoughts on what they've implemented. I haven't bought the battle pass but I can't customize, everything is premade, it keeps telling me to buy the battle pass even im unlocking stuff i cant put it on because i dont have the battle pass, the shop everything in there should be available to you i shouldn't have to buy it i should just be able to unlock majority of the shit they have in there. But what bothers me most is we can't vote on what we want to play, it's random PLAYERS DONT GET AN OPTION TO CHOOSE WEHAT GAMETYPE THEY WANT TO PLAY. I don't understand they go 3 steps forward and several steps back.

343i is shooting themselves in the foot here they need to make changes asap especially to the multiplayer. Their not giving people any freedom here, but what bothers me most of all is they said they weren't doing this.

I 100% agree with everything he said, its the reason i stopped playing - i reached diamond and now i gave up, i have no motivation until they fix all the issues and give players more freedom of gameplay modes and a better progression system.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I like the game but it feels undercooked, as per usual with the 343 efforts on Halo. Maps are very samey, especailly visually and ESPECIALLY the BTB maps. The battlepass and playlists are pretty bad and they probably should let you chose a gear to spawn with like in TF 2.

The more I play this game the more frustrated I get. Its not for me. 4v4 is bad enough because 3 people on your team run around like headless chickens in oddball or zone capture...

Thought I'd give big team battle a whirl and our team just let them steal at least 10 pods throughout the game

Razvedka

Banned

Hold up, the way the beta MP is structured is identical to the final game? I thought the real MP would have way more granular control over game modes, armor options, progression.. Is what he's saying confirmed?

Boneless

The more I play this game the more frustrated I get. Its not for me. 4v4 is bad enough because 3 people on your team run around like headless chickens in oddball or zone capture...

Thought I'd give big team battle a whirl and our team just let them steal at least 10 pods throughout the game

Welcome to online gaming.

TIGERCOOL

they've already addressed that they're starting with streamlined playlists to get a consistent matchmaking experience off the hop and get feedback/data on the available game modes. They're working on progression. We've known this since before launch and yet people wont stop the endless bitching. Just wait. Save your money. Let whales fund the dev team in the meantime. If overpriced cosmetics that you see for literally 5 seconds pre-game are really hampering your experience play something else in the meantime.

Restrictive playlists aren't ideal but it is technically a beta so lets wait to see if there are substantial improvements by Dec 8th. If not, I feel there will be justifiable concern. Datamining seems to suggest they're sitting on a number of gametypes and maps so I think we'll be getting an update on that soon.

Game is fun and the main controversy is over some unlockable armour in an otherwise (soon to be) full-feature free game. No playable content is locked behind a paywall. This is in no way comparable to Battlefront 2 and the dude in the video needs to relax cause I can pretty much feel his spittle coming through my computer screen.

Havoc2049

Do you use XP to rank up in the Fracture event or does it use another mechanic to progress through?
Each challenge is a level. There are 30 levels and each level has an unlockable. Each challenge is worth XP though, so it helps you rank up quicker in your overall rank. The playlist is Fiesta.

So for all the quick to condem outrage folk out there, we already have a special event, more XP available and another game type.

DoomGyver

It’s a lot more enjoyable when you have at least one friend on your team. Even in BTB having just one other person that sticks with you helps a ton. A lot of fights end up being 2v1 or 2v2. I’m not saying you can carry a team with just two people in BTB but it’s more fun.

Banned
Of course i can't use any of other unlocks with yoroi

Man fuck this dogshit system

it's the fucking worst... everyone looks the exact same because you literally can't do shit with your unlocked armor pieces... this is so bad it's comical, especially after the way they praised their new armor system and how amazing an evolution to "player expression" it will be ahead of launch... just laughable

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
they've already addressed that they're starting with streamlined playlists to get a consistent matchmaking experience off the hop and get feedback/data on the available game modes. They're working on progression.
Did they though? I've seen people speculating that this is the case but I don't remember 343 ever confirming it. Maybe I'm just old

Wimbledon

they've already addressed that they're starting with streamlined playlists to get a consistent matchmaking experience off the hop and get feedback/data on the available game modes. They're working on progression. We've known this since before launch and yet people wont stop the endless bitching. Just wait. Save your money. Let whales fund the dev team in the meantime. If overpriced cosmetics that you see for literally 5 seconds pre-game are really hampering your experience play something else in the meantime.

Restrictive playlists aren't ideal but it is technically a beta so lets wait to see if there are substantial improvements by Dec 8th. If not, I feel there will be justifiable concern. Datamining seems to suggest they're sitting on a number of gametypes and maps so I think we'll be getting an update on that soon.

Game is fun and the main controversy is over some unlockable armour in an otherwise (soon to be) full-feature free game. No playable content is locked behind a paywall. This is in no way comparable to Battlefront 2 and the dude in the video needs to relax cause I can pretty much feel his spittle coming through my computer screen.

I love how a legit criticism is considered bitching. Dude Halo 3 and Halo reach I could either A unlock the equipment via achievements, or B in Halo reaches case gain enough in-game currency to purchase the armor. They're literally selling pre-made armor that's like 20$ that could legitimately be regular pieces you could customize and put together yourself through progression.LOL

This is what i find funny a game from 2007 and 2010 had a way better user-friendly system toward customization and progression and yet here we have a game where they practically took everything and put it behind a battle pass and restricted it for players who may not want the battle pass. To me there isn't enough there to incentivize buying it, "Hey buy this battle pass so you can unlock a feature that should already be a normal feature in the game" come on man I understand defending them, but what their doing is BS and it's annoying to see anyone defend or say someone is bitching when basic features in previous games aren't implemented in new releases.

BUT your right let me give 343i the benefit of the doubt, despite messing up several times before. They SEEM to be going in the right direction with this one. It isn't like they can't fix this, they've said this is a 10-year plan so hopefully they can fix this terrible system they've implemented. But until then they need to make some changes and I hope more videos like that one gain more traction as we get closer to release.

TIGERCOOL

I love how a legit criticism is considered bitching. Dude Halo 3 and Halo reach I could either A unlock the equipment via achievements, or B in Halo reaches case gain enough in-game currency to purchase the armor. They're literally selling pre-made armor that's like 20$ that could legitimately be regular pieces you could customize and put together yourself through progression.LOL
This game is free

Wimbledon

it's completely optional and has no impact on the gameplay

Its not much of an option dude, and that's all im arguing. I keep getting alerts that I'm unlocking shit but can't put them on without the battle pass. Dude in past Halos I could just customize the majority of the armors they've shown thus far that they're trying to get people to buy.

In past games, you can customize your symbol the color scheme to look a certain way, or your tag over your player, etc. Same with progression halo reach had an in-game currency that you got that you could use to buy new shit, or you just got better at the game and unlocked it.

It's frustrating to see basic features that should be normal customization just be taken away, that's just one of the things that frustrate me.

Whether it impacts gameplay or not is irrelevant. It impacts the experience I'm having, playing, and enjoying the game.

Last edited:

Phase

it's completely optional and has no impact on the gameplay and they've said they're working on it
Except it does affect the gameplay. People are doing challenges (not designed around team play) instead of trying to win, and many quit when it's not a gametype they need for the challenges. It's hurting the game.

Last edited:

TIGERCOOL

Except it does affect the gameplay. People are doing challenges (not designed around team play) instead of trying to win, and many quit when it's not a gametype they need for the challenges. It's hurting the game.
I agree it's not great but what more can they do than say they're working on it and changes are coming asap?

Wimbledon

I agree it's not great but what more can they do than say they're working on it and changes are coming asap?

Is it wrong to ask for them to get it right the first time?

This is the same company that was going to release this game last year and it took an uproar from the community to get them to delay it. This isnt the first time with 343i it's always an uphill battle with them, and it's frustrating. Because it seems like the things they get right, they end up doing other things wrong and taking several steps back.

Kev Kev

#teamdefault

cosmetics are stupid. the progression system is stupid. fuck all that bullshit. just play the (free) game and enjoy whatever unlocks you may receive.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out a quick showcase of the unlocks for the Season 1 battle pass in Halo Infinite!

Like most modern shooters, Halo Infinite launched with a Season 1 battle pass. While there is joy to be gained from constant progression and cosmetic unlocks, the reaction to this battle pass was mixed at best. 343 Industries has heard the outcry and is still tweaking the battle pass as we speak. But as it currently stands, there are still some cool cosmetics to unlock. In this showcase we'll scroll through all of them to give you a quick glimpse at what customization options you can earn by completing challenges and earning XP in-game in Halo Infinite Multiplayer.

Top Bottom