• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Infinite opening cutscene

jEvJTdl.jpg

CheeseCake

Looks like a Halo Wars 2 cutscene.
Prepare Halo Wars GIF by Halo

I'm kinda hoping it doesn't start like that though... i'd like a bit more of a recap of the older events up until now unless they're starting fresh.

Last edited:

NikuNashi

I remember Halo 1 starting with a realtime war going on visable outside a dropship that once landed player had full control, it was revolutionary. We have regressed to non interactive (pre rendered?) cinematics?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I remember Halo 1 starting with a realtime war going on visable outside a dropship that once landed player had full control, it was revolutionary. We have regressed to non interactive (pre rendered?) cinematics?
You what love?
CE has a cutscene at the beginning of the Pillar arriving at the ring and the ship getting ready to reach "battle ready".
Actual "gameplay" starts on the Pillar of Autuum with chief in Cryo in a basically empty room.
When you get control you cant even walk you can only look around within the cryopod.
The only cool thing that happens is when you are asked to look up whatever you do is assumed how you want to play (inverted or not).

And if you are talking about the second level on the actual Halo ring well the opening cinematic is the "only" prerendered scene at the start of the game, after this it goes realtime and plays out almost exactly the same as Halo CE.
Sooooo........

Last edited:
You what love?
CE has a cutscene at the beginning of the Pillar arriving at the ring and the ship getting ready to reach "battle ready".
Actual "gameplay" starts on the Pillar of Autuum with chief in Cryo in a basically empty room.
When you get control you cant even walk you can only look around within the cryopod.
The only cool thing that happens is when you are asked to look up whatever you do is assumed how you want to play (inverted or not).

And if you are talking about the second level on the actual Halo ring well the opening cinematic is the "only" prerendered scene at the start of the game, after this it goes realtime and plays out almost exactly the same as Halo CE.
Sooooo........
It calibrates your controller and you walk to the bridge to meet up with keys, you get board led by the covenant and he hands you his pistol and it’s go time. From there you fight like hell to get off the ship and escape in an escape pod.

The cinematic you mention is in engine. When you step out of the escape pod. You see halo

Black_Stride

It calibrates your controller and you walk to the bridge to meet up with keys, you get board led by the covenant and he hands you his pistol and it’s go time. From there you fight like hell to get off the ship and escape in an escape pod.

The cinematic you mention is in engine. When you step out of the escape pod. You see halo
I did say it wasnt in engine....but the point still stands that the game starts with the player not in control....and im even guessing for longer than this cutscene plays out for.
Simply pointing out that Halo CE doesnt start as described above.
The cryopod is the start of Halo CE when the player actually has control.
And as you mentioned you only actually get a gun when you reach the bridge....thats your first taste of Halo combat.

Infinite starts with this prerender (which I hate cuz its a waste of space and will be a bitch for PC players running nonstandard resolutions/aspect ratios and framerates).
But after that, from what im hearing its all realtime stuff from there.

I wouldnt call it a regression.

Stuart360

Thankfully it doesnt show much, and i'd guess there is more to see.
I dont know why people have to spoil these things. I mean i dont care about spoilers so it doesnt really bother me but plenty of people do care.

Codes 208

Its basically linking how the the ending of 5 and the banished from halo wars 2 lead into halo infinite. Spoilers sure, but more of a typical prologue than anything

Black_Stride

Thankfully it doesnt show much, and i'd guess there is more to see.
I dont know why people have to spoil these things. I mean i dont care about spoilers so it doesnt really bother me but plenty of people do care.
Lucky for them they dont have to watch the "spoiler".
Heck id say even the Campaign overview trailer was a huge spoiler about the Harbinger and her race being in the game.

If you really want to go in blind dont watch the things that are clearly spoilers.

Spaceman292

Banned
Pretty sure the other Halo games had cutscenes in them too

Spaceman292

Banned
It was a long time ago, 20 years my memory isn't perfect, I just remember landing in the dropship in-game being amazing at the time.
I'm pretty sure story things will happen in game as well. It's just weird to be angry because a game has pre rendered cutscenes.

fatmarco

I'm going to avoid watching this until I'm actually playing the game, but I've never been interested in CGI cutscenes in Halo.

Blur seems to always choreograph their cutscenes incredibly stupidly with a priority on cool over logic within the context of the Halo universe.

Those ridiculous scenes of lumbering oafish Elites with no shields carrying melee weapons in Halo Wars cutscenes because they couldn't create bog standard cliche'd "cool martial arts" without it irks me to this day.

Wimbledon

Masterchief tanked those hits though, Chainbreaker is a powerful weapon. I think this might be the first time he faced a weapon like that. Cause Tartarus had a similar weapon where he could shoot like a gravitational type blast and slam it and affect the environment but Arbiter was the one who took him down.

I'm going to avoid watching this until I'm actually playing the game, but I've never been interested in CGI cutscenes in Halo.

Blur seems to always choreograph their cutscenes incredibly stupidly with a priority on cool over logic within the context of the Halo universe.

Those ridiculous scenes of lumbering oafish Elites with no shields carrying melee weapons in Halo Wars cutscenes because they couldn't create bog standard cliche'd "cool martial arts" without it irks me to this day.
It might actually be a cut scene but it’s hard to determine at this time.

Top Bottom