• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Infinite |OT| Campaign. Evolved.

link1201

So about halfway through the campaign it just says "fuck it" with the open world and funnels you into a corridor of an underground layer followed by a base attack on a bit of the map with nothing on it except that campaign mission. The more I play the more I can see this is held together by string and tape. Game is saved by the grapple hook and just generally shooting shit for sure.
Yeah the ending has the feel of "ok we have to ship this game this year ...so let's do this to wrap it up".

I really enjoyed the game but feel a little let down by the end run. Wish they could have had a large scale Scarab-esque fight or another warthog gautlet...something besides the death boxes they ended up having...

Still a lot of fun eager to see what's next.

TrebleShot

So I’m on the final mission which I can’t believe, it really decides about a third of the way through to just thrust you through to the end and whilst it started out fun and nice to play a modern Halo game it just misses the mark on almost every point other than the grapple and so,e initial combat situations.

This is probably worth a 6/7 out of 10 it’s just not up to modern standards of a 2021 AAA game.
Just a few observations:

Marines completely underused.

Story is so light touch and unconsidered it reminds me of Destiny 1, just pointless and hollow.

Textures go south about halfway through which is really odd one example is the slot in the back of MC helmet, very low res and blurry at times in the cut scenes which is really odd and distracting.

Got a strange audio glitch where the sound of bullets hitting a wall behind me is constant, have to restart the game to get rid of it and then sometimes it happens and it’s really jarring.

You can see why people aren’t really talking about this game so much only a couple of weeks after launch considering those issues I stated there is just a clear lack of polish and overall direction, I hear something leaked about an expansion or something maybe that will be better but this has been a bit of a sad reminder of what we lost when 343 took over the franchise.

And some people had this up there as one of the best halo games. Not a chance.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Try rebooting the console ? check the network section in your settings to make sure you're connected with all services.
I did all of the above. Usually force quitting works. But it’s not even suspended now. Just opens then gives me the error. So weird.

CuNi

Haha yea, once I got the wasp I just sat and blew them all up from the air. Cheesey? Yes but some of them could flatten your health in about 5 seconds otherwise.

I did them all after I finished the main game. I'll be honest,. now I've had a bit more time after doing so I'm not massively impressed by how little content this game actually had. For 6 years of development, it felt like I'd finished everything in like... 5 hours of actual gameplay. I would be somewhat narked if I'd paid full price for this & not just got it on gamepass.
Most of my gametime came from being eager and trying to actually find all the logs etc. myself.
After accumulating 20h in the Campaign I gave up and opened up a map to find the last few stranglers and I feel like that hunt ruined the game somewhat for me.
When first playing and somewhat wondering off to explore, it was fun.. the first time you did it.. after flying around with the Wasp for what felt ages and being SO ANNOYED by Banshees that spawned out of nowhere to kill that wasp in seconds really made me hate that somewhat.

It became repetitive and I feel like the game makes more fun on Heroic than Legendary, simply by the fact that everything atomizes you in seconds before you can even realize what it was on Legendary.
You didn't see all the snipers before engaging in combat? Have fun retrying and going for them first because if you don't chill next to cover for more than a second, you're a goner.
Just finished that enemy camp and even had fun? Let me introduce you to sprinting rage monkey that doesn't care about bullets or headshots.. because he has a face mask.
Also, I dread to think what happens to the poor souls that play this on Legendary and don't max out their shields instantly...

Edit: I have gamepass but still bought it for 60€. Gotta be honest, I expected more, and not even "world size" wise but Story wise. Now it all comes down to MS on how they will handle Story DLC going forward.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I did all of the above. Usually force quitting works. But it’s not even suspended now. Just opens then gives me the error. So weird.

Deleting and redownloading is the ultimate nuclear option, but I hope it works out for you before you have to do that.

Topher

Gold Member
Deleting and redownloading is the ultimate nuclear option, but I hope it works out for you before you have to do that.

Troubleshooting is better than pointing fingers at PlayStation fans for "concern trolling". You think?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Good. You learned something.

giphy.gif

Topher

Gold Member

I guess you didn't.

In an increasingly connected world, it's even more of a non-issue and will continue to be a non-issue with passing time.

Honestly, this is a tired argument now. I genuinely wonder how many folks in this topic will make a U-Turn on it when the PS5 equivalent to GP finally launches and has similar online checks.
It wasn't .. but OK I understand if it feels that way. It's as much console warrior nonsense as the amount of concern-trolling about connectivity woes we've seen in this topic so far.
Ok maybe not this topic specifically but these topics and all the posts tend to meld together at a certain point, they're almost always so similar.

I'll leave it at that for now, since OP's issue was a very unique connectivity issue to them specifically. People have already posted multiple workarounds to that.

Not so unique. You need introspection.

Last edited:

adamsapple

This has already gone wildly off topic, but one users specific internet connectivity issue and another users specific issue about getting an error message when launching one game are not the same thing nor do these 2 issues define any relatable sample size.

There's clutching at straws then there's bringing in completely unrelated topics to try and prove a point.

Let's not take this any more off topic please, you're always welcome to DM me if something I said bothered you.

Topher

Gold Member
This has already gone wildly off topic, but one users specific internet connectivity issue and another users specific issue about getting an error message when launching one game are not the same thing nor do these 2 issues define any relatable sample size.

There's clutching at straws then there's bringing in completely unrelated topics to try and prove a point.

Let's not take this any more off topic please, you're always welcome to DM me if something I said bothered you.

The other thread specifically mentioned errors exactly like the ones here.

Keep getting an error that I don’t own the game..
Wanted to play before bed and every game I try says I don’t own it or check connection.

What is different is you made that thread about PlayStation "concern trolling". Was that on topic? Nope. You can't throw "not on topic" out just when it is convenient.

I'll let it go. My point stands though.

Last edited:

adamsapple

The game is only a tiny fraction of the halo and they are going to constantly add to the game so I wouldn't be surprised if they show up. Absolutely agree wanted them

If I'm not mistaken, there was some kind of road map thing some time ago that they plan to add more single player story chunks to the game.

So it would make sense that MC is exploring different parts of this ring and will run into different biomes in those packs.

Would it have been nicer to have it in the base game ? Of course. But that this game came out this good after its troubled development is good enough for me for now.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
At what point can you start equipping marines with weapons and start sticking them in vehicles that I keep reading so much about? Is this just natural progression in the game? I’ve rescued 3 squads so far, so they always stay where you rescued them or is there an eventual home base that opens up more as you play?

Topher

Gold Member
At what point can you start equipping marines with weapons and start sticking them in vehicles that I keep reading so much about? Is this just natural progression in the game? I’ve rescued 3 squads so far, so they always stay where you rescued them or is there an eventual home base that opens up more as you play?

I typically load up marines in vehicles at the FOBs, but they should automatically jump into the vehicle if you stop near by them outside of the FOB as well.

adamsapple

If you haven't, you can unlock FOBs (Forward Operating Bases) in the games world, the story will guide you to the first one at least.

Once rescued, marines will start populating your FOBs. You start with a shitty little mongoose vehicle but completing more and more of the game world objectives gets you Valor points, which unlocks more vehicles and upgrades your squad. Once you get something which can sit more than 1 person, at the FOBs the marines will start joining you if your car is close to them.

Couple thoughts after getting a 100% Legendary save file:
1. Core gameplay is the most fun I've had shooting stuff since the old Halo days. Blows Destiny out of the water.
2. The open world is just a ton of fun to fly or drive around blowing up stuff, and really shows where the game could shine in the future.
3. The open world is empty and totally lacking in story content/lore - much like Destiny, especially Destiny 1.
4. If they can flesh out the open world with some more light RPG elements like quests, dialog, npcs, etc, it could really shine.
5. Graphics are alternatively impressive yet bland. Need to beef up that clarity on modern consoles, game is too blurry.

Topher

Gold Member
Couple thoughts after getting a 100% Legendary save file:
1. Core gameplay is the most fun I've had shooting stuff since the old Halo days. Blows Destiny out of the water.
2. The open world is just a ton of fun to fly or drive around blowing up stuff, and really shows where the game could shine in the future.
3. The open world is empty and totally lacking in story content/lore - much like Destiny, especially Destiny 1.
4. If they can flesh out the open world with some more light RPG elements like quests, dialog, npcs, etc, it could really shine.
5. Graphics are alternatively impressive yet bland. Need to beef up that clarity on modern consoles, game is too blurry.

Definitely could have used some more open world content. Visually the game is good, not great, imo. It certainly doesn't look bad. What is a bit stark is the amount of pop-in especially when flying in a wasp. The landscape starts popping up trees left and right much more than a typical open world game.

I was thinking for a while this would be my GOTY but the more I play the more I realize it isn't there. I'm ok with that though as I think this is one of those games that will challenge in the "on-going" categories moving forward. Would definitely love to see more added to the campaign in 2022 or 2023.

FlyyGOD

The Scorpion on legendary difficulty is a Godsend. I don't know how I would've finished most bounties or the beacons without it.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The Scorpion on legendary difficulty is a Godsend. I don't know how I would've finished most bounties or the beacons without it.

And this here is why Halo is amazing. I 100% the game on legendary and the only time I used Scorpion was during the mission.

You can really play your own way and it's never wrong. If you can think of something, it most likely will work. Halo is back!

Last edited:

Roufianos

I have no idea how people are beating this on Legendary, I'm encountering crazy difficulty spikes just on Normal.

Enjoying it otherwise although they really should have gone with hold RB for a wheel for ability swapping, using the dpad takes your fingers off the sticks during combat.

dorkimoe

Yep. I never used other gadgets. Just grappling hook. It straight up broke the game.
you just just cause everywhere. Even on flat terrain to go faster. And the grapple punch is op af
Without the grappling hook the open world wouldn’t have worked. It’s the best addition

CuNi

I have no idea how people are beating this on Legendary, I'm encountering crazy difficulty spikes just on Normal.

Enjoying it otherwise although they really should have gone with hold RB for a wheel for ability swapping, using the dpad takes your fingers off the sticks during combat.
It basically boils down to "let's fight this!" and going in with a fun attitude, then learning the amount of enemies by wiping X-times because somewhere another steroid monkey spawned and slapped you to death or another Warhammer 40k Sniper-Assassin materialized. Once you did that you learn that the bosses are no fun so you learn the weapon locations and where the biggest cheese weapons + spots are on any given encounter and then you just cheese it from there.

The only good thing from playing on Legendary was that it really did force me to use other gadgets than just Grappling Hook. Like No way I'd have survived the second half of the game without maxed out upgrades like Thruster Invisibility, Ping Health-Bar and Shield electrifying the bullets. That's the only thing I took from Legendary.

I plan on playing through the game again on Normal or Heroic to hopefully enjoy this game more, even though I really really dislike the story.
Also, fuck them for hiding Skulls and Logs in Missions and not giving you a chance to replay Missions. Like dude, I am missing one Skull, it's in the last Mission and YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SHOOT SENTINELS TO GET THAT ONE!?!?!

BigLee74

Finally completed the campaign, and have such mixed feelings.

Ultimately, it’s a great game - fantastic even - and I’ve had lots of fun with it. The open world aspect is great. The map is plenty big enough, and with enough variety to remain visually interesting. Traversal with a maxed out grappling hook is great. The combat is the best of any Halo by far - great weapons, great explosions.

Too many niggly things annoy me though, and probably prevent it from being far and away the best Halo game ever.

Apart from one level (near the end, on the outdoor map), vehicular combat is lacking. Your fellow marines have no problem hopping in your ride, but won’t get in a vehicle themselves. What’s that all about? Scorpion aside, the firepower is also lacking big time. It takes ages to kill anything with a ghost, and in the end I gave up - you are quicker hopping out, hijacking enemy vehicles with the grappling hook, then running them over. The wasp is also very disappointing against banshees, making flying anywhere a pain in the arse.

Pacing is also WAY off. I liked being able to do a bit of open play, then dabbling with a mission now and again. The contrast of outdoor areas mixed with indoor forerunner architecture was great. But way sooner than expected, and with no warning, you are locked into a more traditional Halo level by level approach with endless waves of enemies. It was good, visually interesting, but I was itching to get back outside again before long.

Having said all that, this is the best game I’ve played this year and it’s not even close. Better even than Forza Horizon 5 and Psychonauts 2. The framework is in place for future expansions. Get the weather system and ray tracing in there, get coop ready, and I’ll happily play this through again!

9/10.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

It basically boils down to "let's fight this!" and going in with a fun attitude, then learning the amount of enemies by wiping X-times because somewhere another steroid monkey spawned and slapped you to death or another Warhammer 40k Sniper-Assassin materialized. Once you did that you learn that the bosses are no fun so you learn the weapon locations and where the biggest cheese weapons + spots are on any given encounter and then you just cheese it from there.

The only good thing from playing on Legendary was that it really did force me to use other gadgets than just Grappling Hook. Like No way I'd have survived the second half of the game without maxed out upgrades like Thruster Invisibility, Ping Health-Bar and Shield electrifying the bullets. That's the only thing I took from Legendary.

I plan on playing through the game again on Normal or Heroic to hopefully enjoy this game more, even though I really really dislike the story.
Also, fuck them for hiding Skulls and Logs in Missions and not giving you a chance to replay Missions. Like dude, I am missing one Skull, it's in the last Mission and YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SHOOT SENTINELS TO GET THAT ONE!?!?!
yeah thats why i dont really have desire to play on legendary in this game. ive beaten every halo on solo legendary and it almost always become a game of how to cheese the checkpoints or find a blind spot, etc. sometimes doin that was part of the fun, but these days i prefer to just be mildly challenged, but not so much that i have to find cheesy loopholes in order to win fights.

while beating infinite on normal difficulty, i recognized endless amounts of ways i could cheese fights, easily more than any other halo game, and its honestly just a big turn off for me. i dont want to play the game that way just to be able to say "i did the thing". maybe ill give heroic a shot, but some of those boss fights i had to cheese even on normal so, i dunno, we'll see how it goes...

i really just loved exploring the world and finding all the collectibles, and having those random hectic encounters on the way to and fro. or loading up a razorback full of marines and nose diving into a base. i cant wait for forge mode. if they give us AI and marines in forge this will be the game of forever.

SteadyEvo

SteadyEvo SteadyEvo reported similar issues earlier in the week. Could be due to the increased traffic stemming from the holidays as kids are increasingly home from school.
What happened to this thread? 😆

Yeah, at the time I tried 5 games not named Halo and none worked. I’m guessing some were having problems with Halo? Anyway it was fixed the following morning.

JayK47

Gaming these days. Never had these issues with Nintendo cartridges. Games now phone home, need to be online at all times, and if any any moment the internet is down or a server has an issue, you have to wait it out. Not to mention the updates that can take a major cut out of gaming time. So much fun.

adamsapple

The cut scenes and the voice acting..... Awesome stuff :messenger_horns:

You know, I'm honestly not a big fan of games doing 'single camera takes' for everything, didn't like it much in God of War or Phantom Pain either.

It just takes something away from traditional cut-scene editing IMO.

imsosleepy

Just finished it, been a while since I finished a single player campaign game! Great ride it was. At some point the endless indoor section that were all the same felt really boring but overal I loved it. Wish there were more banshees in the open world map.. For me I only found them in 1 corner of the map. But dam the grapple hook made the game soo much fun! Barely needed vehicles as flying like spiderman true the trees is hell a fun. And so many options to fight opponents.
Did miss some epic big battles but had a blast

ACESHIGH

Banned
I have been playing the game on PC and the first 2 missions were great, Classic Halo. However once I got to the open world...

FPS went to hell. I should not be having such an abysmal performance in an xbox one game. Between 14 and 20 FPS... my PC is not modern by any means but it runs games on par with an Xbox One X. I think it should be running the game at 1440p or 1800p dynamic 30 FPS. Here its running it at 17 FPS at 1080p medium settings... even worse than a base xbox one.

I think, that just the first 2 missions were optimized on the PC version of the game. I'll uninstall and play it once/if fixed.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Has anyone here used that Scorpion Gun thing in Legendary difficulty ?

Are you able to keep that weapon through out the campaign ? Yes I know it's kind of 'cheating' but that's about the only way I'm interested in playing this in Legendary lol

Top Bottom