• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Infinite |OT| Campaign. Evolved.

Roufianos

Beat it on Normal, honestly that's one of the hardest games I've played in years outside of the Souls series. Not sure if I just suck or that's the general consensus.

Yeah.....different opinions. That's all.

It isn't a credible opinion that the game is half finished. It's nonsense. It also isn't a credible opinion that it somehow isn't the best new FPS launched this year. COD Vanguard? Battlefield 2042? Halo Infinite is comfortably a better FPS than both.

There are credible opinions, and then there's non serious and obvious trolling.

oldergamer

Darn, I think I had less to study for my ECE degree :LOL: , amazing thanks go to you and @Kev Kev that took the time to compile this.

With all this material, I do wonder why it has been so difficult to get a series like The Expanse done for Halo… there is material for a lot of seasons too. Hopefully by the time the new series is done CG would have kept dropping in price and it will be possible to get multiple seasons (good thing about improvement in graphic techniques and HW is that TV CG is way past the point of good enough for a movie level of quality).
Well you wont have to wait. The halo tv series is coming soon.

Topher

Gold Member
It isn't a credible opinion that the game is half finished. It's nonsense. It also isn't a credible opinion that it somehow isn't the best new FPS launched this year. COD Vanguard? Battlefield 2042? Halo Infinite is comfortably a better FPS than both.

Nah…just opinions you don’t like. It is ok. These are just games.

Hayabusa83

Banned
Just finished the campaign and although it's better than 4 and 5, I honestly don't get it at all.

The open world feels tacked on. It's as if they wanted a few broader missions with more freedom and just ended up creating a boring, repetitive, uninteresting world. Hardly any variety in how it looks and almost everything to do is the same. I can't be bothered to go back in and clear up all I missed. I don't think it adds anything to the game at all.

Also the campaign is quite short which isn't a bad thing but the ending comes out of nowhere the last hour or so? Then all the indoor linear parts look almost exactly the same, at least have some variety surely since there isn't much at all in the outdoor levels. Plus there's not exactly many enemy types, I kind of expected more.

Not to say it's a bad game but I'm shocked at the praise the campaign is getting. I'll admit the gameplay is smooth and it's fun here and there in parts especially with the grappling hook but the rest feels like I'm playing a game designed and released years ago, heck it's not even anything great graphically either.

I don't think they will ever replicate the heights of Halo and Halo 2 ever again. Even though Halo CE had backtracking, at least some of the environments and enemies changed (introduction of the Flood). In Halo 2 you fight in a Space Station, in a city, on Delta Halo, deep inside multiple Forerunner structures.

I genuinely like the game, but I feel like Halo would be better suited to traditional level design rather than an open world. I loved The Silent Cartographer, I just don't want to play it for thirty hours straight.

Fredrik

Played another 4 hours last night. The core gameplay is great but the variety is severely lacking, open world looks the same, indoor corridors looks the same, enemies looks the same. Going straight for the main objectives now in hope for bigger variety.

I enjoyed the robot boss fight though, could’ve had bigger changes in attack patterns but it was still entertaining.

Topher

Gold Member
Played another 4 hours last night. The core gameplay is great but the variety is severely lacking, open world looks the same, indoor corridors looks the same, enemies looks the same. Going straight for the main objectives now in hope for bigger variety.

I enjoyed the robot boss fight though, could’ve had bigger changes in attack patterns but it was still entertaining.

I think you just finished the part I just finished. The Command Spire and The Repository. You are exactly right. You've got a very long linear part of the game that could have been cut in half. Tons of areas that look nearly the same, bunch of those flying robot things, bunch of find a power thingy to power up some other thingy to open some door or push some button for a cutscene that leads to a repeat of the previous area. I'm in the home stretch now but this is the weakest part of the game, imo. It is like they just ran out of ideas and are just padding it with filler.

Back in an open area now so that's good. Not sure I could have stood another hallway.

Fredrik

I think you just finished the part I just finished. The Command Spire and The Repository. You are exactly right. You've got a very long linear part of the game that could have been cut in half. Tons of areas that look nearly the same, bunch of those flying robot things, bunch of find a power thingy to power up some other thingy to open some door or push some button for a cutscene that leads to a repeat of the previous area. I'm in the home stretch now but this is the weakest part of the game, imo. It is like they just ran out of ideas and are just padding it with filler.

Back in an open area now so that's good. Not sure I could have stood another hallway.
Yeah sounds like it’s the same area, I’ve been out in the open again for awhile, is supposed to bring down two more spires, hopefully not identical.

Some parts are cool, absolutely, and the grappling hook is awesome, but I just think it’s all too samey, both out in the open and inside.

And it totally has the weapon problem from BOTW as well. Instead of keeping an awesome weapon as an upgrade like in Metroid I’m forced to throw it away 5 minutes later and go back to shoot with some pea shooter. There is no real sense of progression, there is so much they could’ve done better there.

Also, people were so negative on Halo 5’s campaign but in my 9 hours playing through that I had seen like 10 times more variety than my 14 hours of Halo Infinite.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah sounds like it’s the same area, I’ve been out in the open again for awhile, is supposed to bring down two more spires, hopefully not identical.

Some parts are cool, absolutely, and the grappling hook is awesome, but I just think it’s all too samey, both out in the open and inside.

And it totally has the weapon problem from BOTW as well. Instead of keeping an awesome weapon as an upgrade like in Metroid I’m forced to throw it away 5 minutes later and go back to shoot with some pea shooter. There is no real sense of progression, there is so much they could’ve done better there.

Also, people were so negative on Halo 5’s campaign but in my 9 hours playing through that I had seen like 10 times more variety than my 14 hours of Halo Infinite.

The gameplay is still great. Yeah, I rarely get to keep using the same weapon. Run out of ammo and have to pick up something else. I was literally killing grunts with a rocket launcher last night. Ok.....that was kinda fun while it lasted.

I definitely prefer exploring the outdoors than the hallways inside. Really wanting to go back and try some old Halo since I never played them and they were so highly praised. I don't mind linear games but I'm assuming they are not like the linear parts of Infinite.

Overall, Infinite has been a lot of fun. Got all the FOBs, killed all the HVTs, and got all the Spartan Cores. I gave up worrying about the other collectibles. Ready to finish though and move on to something else.

oldergamer

Just finished this today.
I know that, but you will admit a movie/TV series had been discussed for a long long while. Anyways, fingers crossed :).
Yeah its taken forever. There have been some straght to dvd movies or anime but that peter Jackson lead movie, steven Spielberg show never happened.

The closest was neil blokamp. You can see those model assets re used in Elysium. I hope the new show doest suck

Fredrik

The gameplay is still great. Yeah, I rarely get to keep using the same weapon. Run out of ammo and have to pick up something else. I was literally killing grunts with a rocket launcher last night. Ok.....that was kinda fun while it lasted.

I definitely prefer exploring the outdoors than the hallways inside. Really wanting to go back and try some old Halo since I never played them and they were so highly praised. I don't mind linear games but I'm assuming they are not like the linear parts of Infinite.

Overall, Infinite has been a lot of fun. Got all the FOBs, killed all the HVTs, and got all the Spartan Cores. I gave up worrying about the other collectibles. Ready to finish though and move on to something else.
I’m gonna keep going and see if it can change my mind later, right now it’s a disappointment for me, might’ve had too high expectations or something idk.

You should try Halo 4, report back what you think later. It was ages ago since I played it, not sure how it holds up today but going by memory it had a great campaign and fantastic story. For a 360 game it had a ton of polish.

Yeah its taken forever. There have been some straght to dvd movies or anime but that peter Jackson lead movie, steven Spielberg show never happened.

The closest was neil blokamp. You can see those model assets re used in Elysium. I hope the new show doest suck
I think you quoted the wrong person.

Havoc2049

I don't think they will ever replicate the heights of Halo and Halo 2 ever again. Even though Halo CE had backtracking, at least some of the environments and enemies changed (introduction of the Flood). In Halo 2 you fight in a Space Station, in a city, on Delta Halo, deep inside multiple Forerunner structures.

I genuinely like the game, but I feel like Halo would be better suited to traditional level design rather than an open world. I loved The Silent Cartographer, I just don't want to play it for thirty hours straight.
There is a first in Halo Infinite, as you fight on a Brute/Banished ship for the first time in a Halo game. Another great thing, is that this is a Live Service game, so the adventure has just begun. 343 is supposed to reveal the road map soon and what that will look like. Will it be like Spartan Ops in Halo 4, with chapters? Will it be like traditional DLC with a couple of big drops over the lifetime of the game. Or maybe it will be like Sea of Thieves and have seasonal content updates throughout the year, ranging in size from small updates to large updates, in both the open world and story driven content? My bet is on the Sea of Thieves model, but I guess we'll find out soon.

It feels like they really phoned in the last stretch of this one, and made it difficult in an annoying way. Cheap as hell.

Like, almost clearing the last wave of enemies and get killed by a rogue sniper jackal, or having to restart the whole wave because the boss at 1/10th health teleports (teleportation again, I thought we were past this shit 343?) and attacks.

Cheap, 343.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It feels like they really phoned in the last stretch of this one, and made it difficult in an annoying way. Cheap as hell.

Cheap, 343.

Feels like they shoe-horned a couple of multiplayer levels into the "house of reckoning". Hopefully this story is tied up with more than just a rescue mission. Think I have a couple more boss fights left and I'm done.

There is a first in Halo Infinite, as you fight on a Brute/Banished ship for the first time in a Halo game. Another great thing, is that this is a Live Service game, so the adventure has just begun. 343 is supposed to reveal the road map soon and what that will look like. Will it be like Spartan Ops in Halo 4, with chapters? Will it be like traditional DLC with a couple of big drops over the lifetime of the game. Or maybe it will be like Sea of Thieves and have seasonal content updates throughout the year, ranging in size from small updates to large updates, in both the open world and story driven content? My bet is on the Sea of Thieves model, but I guess we'll find out soon.

Looking forward to seeing what that roadmap looks like. I really feel like we've only gotten a small part of the overall vision for Halo Infinite. I think the campaign is a good start, but the rumor that a lot of cut from the game has become fairly obvious.

Last edited:

hlm666

Finished it on legendary few hours ago, all those circular room fights can go die in a fire (so that covers nearly every boss in the game).

They needed more interesting boss fights in this game or make the campaign shorter. Increasing movement speed wouln't have hurt either.

Chukhopops

Finished it today after being sidetracked for a few days and I’m a bit conflicted. On one hand the gameplay is the best it’s ever been with massive improvements compared to H5, the open world combat is amazing with so many ways to tackle each situation, the weapon variety is unparalleled and the AI feels massively better than any other recent game. There were organic moments where all the systems meshed together perfectly and the result was divine.

On the other hand the campaign really felt rushed and forgettable with no impressive set pieces whatsoever and very little environment variation. The end of the campaign in particular was imo almost as bad as H4 in terms of how bland it was. We were really far from Halo 3 with the Warthog escape and everything collapsing around you while the most amazing soundtrack ever made was played:

I think with a couple expansions and some PVPVE multiplayer modes the game has enough to keep me interested for a long time and the foundation is here. But if I had to rank the campaign itself I would put it at the bottom just above H4 and ODST.

DrCheese

It is a credible opinion that the game is half-finished. 6 years and we got this?

It's the best shooter that we've had all year yes, I'll give you that. But to act like the content we got was/is worth £60 is madness. It feels more like a prologue than a full game in it's own right.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
I enjoyed the campaign and the open world and I think that the MP is the best halo to date, but yeah it is still a work-in-progress and some people will just have to deal with it.

343 had throw every able body at this to get it out the door, and as a result we have an MP that has a paltry amount of content and a BP that has to run for 6 months becuse season 2 is not on the horizon. The campaign doesn't even have coop, is buggy, comprised of one biome etc. It is clear that 343 were in disarray during the development of this. Infinite is going to be like the MCC and will be finished now that the game is out.

I just hope that Staten stays around and drives the franchise going forward.

It is a credible opinion that the game is half-finished. 6 years and we got this?

It's the best shooter that we've had all year yes, I'll give you that. But to act like the content we got was/is worth £60 is madness. It feels more like a prologue than a full game in it's own right.

The longest, and more replayable ever Halo campaign, with brand new high value target assassination missions, brand new weapon variants, brand new forward operating bases, brand new armor upgrades system, many named boss fights, a grapple that is a game changer, the largest and most explorable environments ever in Halo, the most collectibles and cool optional missions in Halo.

All that is more than worth $60 because no prior Halo campaign comes close to offering as complete a package even with co-op.

Lone Wolf

Finished it on legendary few hours ago, all those circular room fights can go die in a fire (so that covers nearly every boss in the game).

They needed more interesting boss fights in this game or make the campaign shorter. Increasing movement speed wouln't have hurt either.
I just finished legendary as well. The game is very unbalanced. Open world is very easy on legendary, while the boss fights are stupid difficult and require you to run in circles like a dumbass to beat. Also I do not like the vehicles in this game. Control is bad and they blow up with just a few shots. Halo 5 had much better vehicles. I miss Warzone firefight I guess.

I just finished legendary as well. The game is very unbalanced. Open world is very easy on legendary, while the boss fights are stupid difficult and require you to run in circles like a dumbass to beat. Also I do not like the vehicles in this game. Control is bad and they blow up with just a few shots. Halo 5 had much better vehicles. I miss Warzone firefight I guess.

I love the game and just finished a Legendary playthrough, but I don’t like 343s obsession with boss fights. Halo 3 and Reach used big interesting encounters (like jumping a Brute Chopper into a moving Scarab to expose its core and bring it down). Now that is a great Halo sandbox style way to design a ‘boss’ encounter. Having a regular enemy reskinned and 10 times the health, not so much.

Robb

Gold Member
I think I’m done with the campaign for now, I’ve collected and completed almost everything but the skulls.

It has been really great but I really wish the draw-distance in the open world was better.. It super annoying flying in over e.g. a FOB and having enemies pop-in when the game feels like it. Not to mention when you have a sniper-rifle atop a mountain and are looking at a base and it seems empty, but you have to walk closer to see the enemies patrolling.. I kinda feel like this shouldn’t be an issue on Series X.

Anyway, hoping for some campaign DLC down the line.

finally finished it! easily my favourite Halo in terms of gameplay. enjoyed the story too. i didn't do everything so there's plenty of stuff left in the world to do but now begins the wait for any DLC/expansions or any kind of new campaign content.

well done 343. what a fantastic game. easily my GOTY.

Lt.Calley

Banned
Semi-Review

First 2 missions were good, the open world was good initially then got repetitive and boring. Last third of the game turned into this endless drag of corridors that you couldnt escape from until you finished the game. Overall 6/10

Also they spent 500million on this? Where did the money go?

Lone Wolf

I think I’m done with the campaign for now, I’ve collected and completed almost everything but the skulls.

It has been really great but I really wish the draw-distance in the open world was better.. It super annoying flying in over e.g. a FOB and having enemies pop-in when the game feels like it. Not to mention when you have a sniper-rifle atop a mountain and are looking at a base and it seems empty, but you have to walk closer to see the enemies patrolling.. I kinda feel like this shouldn’t be an issue on Series X.

Anyway, hoping for some campaign DLC down the line.
It’s very obvious that this game is basically a supercharged Xbox One game on the series X/S. The whole ”built from the ground up for series X” was bullshit. I really enjoyed the game, but you can tell it’s held back by last gen. I hope Xbox One gets dropped sooner rather than later.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Came here to say the game plays great, and I’m very surprised 343i actually delivered, finally. But holy sheet at seniutsugatse, boy is all in on this. Lmao.

The campaign however is proof 343i either only found the game late in development or started the SP campaign really late. It’s surprising how much steam it loses and by the end it’s limping to the credits.

It plays really well though, and the future is very promising.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Finished the game on accident...I spent most of my time trying to collect stuff and not really doing the main mission, then i did a quest for the main mission and beat the game, seemed really quick if you focus solely on the main mission.

My ONLY complaint would be..why arent the trees destructible? Its next gen open world and my tank gets stuck on a tree

MaestroMike

Gold Member
lol why they quoting joker from dark knight during loading sequences ???

also is it just me or is there no green blood splattering from the covenant as you terminate them wtf is up with that ?! i really wanted green blood splattering everywhere and oozing from the dead covenant bodies

Taking my time with this and really enjoying it. I know it’s controversial these days to say it, but I do love a good map with icons on it :messenger_tears_of_joy: So satisfying.

My wife was on her laptop while I was playing earlier and said (without looking up) part of the soundtrack sounds like music from Charlie Brown and now I can’t unhear it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Finished the game on accident...I spent most of my time trying to collect stuff and not really doing the main mission, then i did a quest for the main mission and beat the game, seemed really quick if you focus solely on the main mission.

My ONLY complaint would be..why arent the trees destructible? Its next gen open world and my tank gets stuck on a tree
I got the achievement for finishing it in under 8 hours. I had a Banshee that helped do the job. Missions felt like they were over moments later when you’re flying across the map. For me, getting to an area at a fast pace is part of the fun. Some of the shootouts are fun, but sometimes I just want to press on without hunting down every single enemy.

I bet they save the destructible trees for next gen. lol

Topher

Gold Member

Really weird having a Scorpion tank being stopped cold by a sapling tree.

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
Gave up entering the first tower thingy... like the AI but I can't stand non-narrative. I think the brute design is still butt-ugly. Hate the single player just as much as Far Cry 5.

Hopefully once COOP is in we can do some mindless fun in Campaign

Robb

Gold Member
you can tell it’s held back by last gen. I hope Xbox One gets dropped sooner rather than later.
Agreed.
Or at least it’d be nice if they provided a Series S/X enhanced patch or something alongside the raytracing patch (if that’s still happening).

Topher

Gold Member
Finished it.

The open world was good, but needs more. Searching for Spartan Cores, Skulls, and MP armor is ok as is taking FOBs and other facilities but after that you are left with a very empty open world even for its relative small size. I liked the HVT missions but they were a wasted opportunity to flesh out some side stories. They all amounted to "this guy is bad. kill him". A bit shallow. Having said that, taking on those bases was a lot of fun.

The gunplay is marvelous although it can be frustrating having to drop a preferred weapon and scavenging for something, anything, during a fight because of lack of ammo. Less variations in ammo type would have helped. Kinetic and energy should have been enough. Adding shock, power, and I don't know what else is too much. Half the time I don't even realize that the ammo refill thing I'm running towards isn't compatible with what the weapon I have. But the combat is awesome regardless. Love the grappling hook. I think I use it and sensor thing more than anything else.

Hard to comment on the story because for a first time Halo player it is a confusing mess. But that's on me really. I could have watched YouTube videos to get caught up but I decided I was going to play them from the beginning instead. So hopefully it will make sense eventually. As it is, I'm not sure if the ending was supposed to be a cliffhanger or not. Hopefully more content is on the way because I really don't know what the point was.

The story missions were far too repetitive and linear. Could have been procedurally generated every time and I wouldn't know the difference. I was ready to kill Escharum just to shut us his stupid speeches.

Overall, the game is a 7/10. Good, not great, open world. Fantastic combat. Average story. Bottom line: I had fun. Good game.

Y0ssarian

Banned
Hard to comment on the story because for a first time Halo player it is a confusing mess. But that's on me really. I could have watched YouTube videos to get caught up but I decided I was going to etc
The story is a mess even if you're a returning Halo player. 343i had this problem before as well - events/story between the end of Halo 4 and the start of Halo 5 are not explained and happen off screen with no explanation

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Semi-Review

First 2 missions were good, the open world was good initially then got repetitive and boring. Last third of the game turned into this endless drag of corridors that you couldnt escape from until you finished the game. Overall 6/10

Also they spent 500million on this? Where did the money go?

It was in development hell essentially. Infinite is clearly taped together and unfinished, both its SP and MP. Its a lot of fun, but its also kind of lifeless. The open world doesn't really work since its very barren and the side missions are of the simplest kind. Just kill an enemy wave, thats it.

The first missions were good because they were focused like past Halo games. I think the entire game should've been like that, with some open field levels inbetween. Essentially like the original trilogy was. Because the moment to moment gameplay is the best Halo has been.

Top Bottom