• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite PC Overview Premiere

yamaci17

tbh game looks WAAAAY too blurry. they even bundled a sharpener alongside with it. AND I find this approach UNFATHOMABLE...

SHARPENING never ever fixes any kind of TAA blurring. It just sharpens the blur TAA creates. It never works. It fools some people yeah, but not me. I can clearly see the degretation in actual image quality when i actually shut off sharpening. it just kills the natural vibe of the graphics and adds its tone and feel. i swear.

i cannot understand how and why they cannot implement a less blurrier, more smarter TAA instead. are we really stuck with what we have in terms of Temporal Anti Aliasing technology?

i pushed %200 res. scale in beta and the image barely became clear. barely. that's how much aggresive the TAA is in this game. yet i cannot believe all these reviewers, developers and people act as if no such problem exists.

yeah it looks good in SCREENSHOTS. when you stand still. the TAA works wonderful when you're standing still. SURPRISE, sharpening also works and looks good when you... STAND freaking STILL. I don't shoot people while standing around though. I run around, I move my character!! Yet the image never looks like sharp and clear when you stand still.

it almost feels like people have accepted this new norm. SERIES X looks TOO blurry at 120 fps mode with 1200-1330p rendering and looks sharp and definite at 4k 60 fps mode. BUT why it has to be this way?? do we really need native 4k to get a good, clear image?? I CANNOT for the life of me UNDERSTAND that devs kill/destroy their own artwork with this horrible AA the devs graced upon as TAA.

THIS is a TAA hate post. I cannot even get hyped for this game. ITS so fun, its good, i will enjoy it, but I WILL ENJOY IT AS IF SOMEONE SMEARED VASELINE ON MY SCREEN.

I simply can't stand. And I can't even understand why SO FEW people is affected by this. WISH I was one of those random casual people that did not question why the game is so blurry and accept it as the normal. Yet I cannot. I'm seeing how the game looks at %200 resolution scale.

REDRZA MWS

tbh game looks WAAAAY too blurry. they even bundled a sharpener alongside with it. AND I find this approach UNFATHOMABLE...

SHARPENING never ever fixes any kind of TAA blurring. It just sharpens the blur TAA creates. It never works. It fools some people yeah, but not me. I can clearly see the degretation in actual image quality when i actually shut off sharpening. it just kills the natural vibe of the graphics and adds its tone and feel. i swear.

i cannot understand how and why they cannot implement a less blurrier, more smarter TAA instead. are we really stuck with what we have in terms of Temporal Anti Aliasing technology?

i pushed %200 res. scale in beta and the image barely became clear. barely. that's how much aggresive the TAA is in this game. yet i cannot believe all these reviewers, developers and people act as if no such problem exists.

yeah it looks good in SCREENSHOTS. when you stand still. the TAA works wonderful when you're standing still. SURPRISE, sharpening also works and looks good when you... STAND freaking STILL. I don't shoot people while standing around though. I run around, I move my character!! Yet the image never looks like sharp and clear when you stand still.

it almost feels like people have accepted this new norm. SERIES X looks TOO blurry at 120 fps mode with 1200-1330p rendering and looks sharp and definite at 4k 60 fps mode. BUT why it has to be this way?? do we really need native 4k to get a good, clear image?? I CANNOT for the life of me UNDERSTAND that devs kill/destroy their own artwork with this horrible AA the devs graced upon as TAA.

THIS is a TAA hate post. I cannot even get hyped for this game. ITS so fun, its good, i will enjoy it, but I WILL ENJOY IT AS IF SOMEONE SMEARED VASELINE ON MY SCREEN.

I simply can't stand. And I can't even understand why SO FEW people is affected by this. WISH I was one of those random casual people that did not question why the game is so blurry and accept it as the normal. Yet I cannot. I'm seeing how the game looks at %200 resolution scale.
Looks great to me on a 77” GX OLED. Have my Series X set to 120hz, 1440p.

Banned

SHARPENING never ever fixes any kind of TAA blurring.

I kinda hope for DLSS or DLAA support down the line. DLSS already is my preferred AA solution on PC

clarky

Gold Member
The GX has HDMI 2.1 which lets it support 4k 120hz and HDR at 4:2:2 chroma I believe. Why would you downres to 1440p. Are you not using the right HDMI port or something
Don't think your following, the game outputs at 1440p if you play in performance mode, your TV might be from the future but it cant boost performance mate.

clarky

Gold Member
So my series X can hit the 120 FPS in the games that offer it more often and 1440p still looks gr
I read the original comment as I have my series x set to 1440p/120hz in the video system settings in order to play in performance mode.
Yeah just re-read that, fuck knows why you would do that. Any 120hz game wont be outputting at 4k anyways and your kneecapping the native 4k image games.

Edit: does that even make any difference to frame rate at all??? like would warzone be a steady 120fps if I dropped it down to 1080p? don't think it works like that on xbox? Can't say I've ever tried.

Last edited:

elliot5

So my series X can hit the 120 FPS in the games that offer it more often and 1440p still looks great.
Yeah I hope you realize if your Series X is set to 4K120hz it won't prevent you from playing games that don't hit 4K native at 120hz. Those are just your maximum outputs. You'll still be able to play 1080p/120hz or whatever. The games render resolution doesn't need to match the video output resolution.. just leave it at 4K 120 in the system settings pls. Don't miss out on HDR on an expensive OLED which requires 4K set...

REDRZA MWS

Yeah I hope you realize if your Series X is set to 4K120hz it won't prevent you from playing games that don't hit 4K native at 120hz. Those are just your maximum outputs. You'll still be able to play 1080p/120hz or whatever. The games render resolution doesn't need to match the video output resolution.. just leave it at 4K 120 in the system settings pls. Don't miss out on HDR on an expensive OLED which requires 4K set...
The HDR kicks in fine at 1440p, Not sure what you are referring to. Also, I’m not so bothered with 4K as I am getting the most frames possible. For me, 1440p is a decent trade off to get better performance. I don’t think either new gen console is really capable of full 4K and 120fps.

REDRZA MWS

Yeah just re-read that lol, fuck knows why you would do that. Any 120hz game wont be outputting at 4k anyways and your kneecapping the native 4k image games.

Edit: does that even make any difference to frame rate at all??? like would warzone be a steady 120fps if I dropped it down to 1080p? don't think it works like that on xbox? Can't say I've ever tried.
If you can’t say you’ve ever tried then wtf lol

Just made sense to me like PC. Turn the resolution up takes resources and impacts performance. I could be wrong too but as I’ve said, I really don’t mind 1440p at all. Games look real sharp.

elliot5

The HDR kicks in fine at 1440p, Not sure what you are referring to. Also, I’m not so bothered with 4K as I am getting the most frames possible. For me, 1440p is a decent trade off to get better performance. I don’t think either new gen console is really capable of full 4K and 120fps.
Dawg I can't tell if you're trolling. The Xbox doesn't output HDR unless the video settings are 4K in the console system settings.

The framerate is the god damn same on console regardless of what your system settings is. Setting it to 1440p/120 or 4k/120 will give you the same 120fps output in game when in performance mode. You won't drop frames by having the system settings at 4K 120. The game is rendering at 1440p internally which determines the framerate.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Dawg I can't tell if you're trolling. The Xbox doesn't output HDR unless the video settings are 4K in the console system settings.

The framerate is the god damn same on console regardless of what your system settings is. Setting it to 1440p/120 or 4k/120 will give you the same 120fps output in game when in performance mode. You won't drop frames by having the system settings at 4K 120. The game is rendering at 1440p internally which determines the framerate.
If you can’t say you’ve ever tried then wtf lol

Just made sense to me like PC. Turn the resolution up takes resources and impacts performance. I could be wrong too but as I’ve said, I really don’t mind 1440p at all. Games look real sharp.
I've never tried because like Elliot say's it does absolutely fuck all for your frame rate, its not a PC.

Edit Do yourself and your TV a solid and switch your Xbox back to 4k.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

Not trolling in the least big dawg. I can’t say for sure about the FPS or performance boost at 1440p, it just seemed to make sense to me. Lower resolution a bit get a bit more performance. But HDR absolutely works when the series X is set to 1440p on my GX.

Beta, the final game will improve significantly, weather they fix the issue you are talking about I don't know 😕

Not trolling in the least big dawg. I can’t say for sure about the FPS or performance boost at 1440p, it just seemed to make sense to me. Lower resolution a bit get a bit more performance. But HDR absolutely works when the series X is set to 1440p on my GX.
Dang Dawg you got it all wrong, set console to 480p get that framerate to over 300fps real silky smooth Dawg.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Eats popcorn waiting for someone between the two knows the actual answer on how xbox deals with 120hz games and resolutions.......

My guess: if the xbox is set to 120hz and 4k, and you enable the 120hz mode in the game and the game only supports 1440p, the reduction drops automatically?

If you run the system at 1440p, I think what the other guy is saying, is that for most games that don't support high frame rates, you are running at 1440p instead of 4k - a big drop in resolution for no reason at 60hz.

FireFly

TAA gives you a lot more information than regular upscaling because it uses data from multiple frames. The problem is that because the camera moves, some of the data from previous frames isn't accurate any more. This creates horrible ghosting. To deal with the ghosting, developers ignore colour values that change too much between frames within a given region. This lessens the ghosting at the expense of removing genuine detail, creating the TAA blur.

So with current methods you have to trade off ghosting with TAA blur. DLSS uses A.I to more intelligently reject temporal data, and in theory this could be converted into an algorithm to do the same. It looks like Epic are able to approach the quality of DLSS with their gen 5 TAA algorithm (TSR).

Last edited:

Fredrik

Well your PC combination must be a shitty one if you get constant crashes. So that's on you. The only game this year that caused me problems was Deathloop but not only that it was since patched, the same problem was present in the console version.

Funny enough I get constant problems with Series X dashboard. It switches resolution to 640 x 480 when I'm going between playing BC and new titles. It drives me nuts.

Reality is that games are shipping in unfinished state on all platforms and often multiple patches are needed to bring them to acceptable state.
Yeah I don’t understand what people are doing with their PCs to have so much issues, I haven’t had a game crash in years, crashes can happen during benchmarking when overclocking but then it’s my own fault for pushing things too far/not being good enough at it.

I’ve had UI bugs when playing Skyrim VR with mods though. Usually solved by downloading a new version of the mod or changing the load order.

jigglet

Banned

Sure it makes sense, but it's just not the way it works. Reality > your (logical) assumptions

yamaci17

TAA gives you a lot more information than regular upscaling because it uses data from multiple frames. The problem is that because the camera moves, some of the data from previous frames isn't accurate any more. This creates horrible ghosting. To deal with the ghosting, developers ignore colour values that change too much between frames within a given region. This lessens the ghosting at the expense of removing genuine detail, creating the TAA blur.

So with current methods you have to trade off ghosting with TAA blur. DLSS uses A.I to more intelligently reject temporal data, and in theory this could be converted into an algorithm to do the same. It looks like Epic are able to approach the quality of DLSS with their gen 5 TAA algorithm (TSR).
will TSR work on native resolution?

So is Series X NOT getting Ray Tracing? They seem to indicate maybe it's only coming to PC. That would be a huge kick in the balls.

clarky

Gold Member
How are you figuring that? It's a video specifically about pc, why would they mention Xbox settings?

clarky

Gold Member
Yeah, tbh it really isn't all that, it's nice but really isn't worth the performance hit even with dlss. Give it another generation then we might be talking.

Kenpachii

Partnership with AMD on the graphics side is just lazy…DLSS FTW

AMD is crippling the PC market atm with there shitty cards.

This game needs DLSS if not i won't even consider buying it. If its free to play i will probably test it out. Any game in these days not having DLSS is simple autoskip for me.

Last edited:

elliot5

This game needs DLSS if not i won't even consider buying it. If its free to play i will probably test it out. Any game in these days not having DLSS is simple autoskip for me.
I don't see how a game that runs well without DLSS needs DLSS. If it's a heavy game or with RT yeah it needs it, but Halo isn't particularly demanding. Especially not in mp

clarky

Gold Member

LOL what a load of shit.

Edit: Have fun "auto skipping" 80% of games released this year.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

I don't see how a game that runs well without DLSS needs DLSS. If it's a heavy game or with RT yeah it needs it, but Halo isn't particularly demanding. Especially not in mp

Maybe u missed it but the game does have RT and its going to be some serious shit implementation of it in order to shoot for parity because amd sponsored. the same how far cry 6 , ac valhalla all got crippled for no other reason then support AMD cards that nobody even owns. AMD is great for consoles is fucking trash for PC and that's the reality of things.

Also u never have enough performance when it comes to only shooters, DLSS takes no effort to be implemented as indie devs themselves have stated so, its simple a demand from that god tier garbage company called AMD.

Instead of actually making half decent GPU's they decide to nuke the market as much as they can with there sponsorships.

LOL what a load of shit.

Edit: Have fun "auto skipping" 80% of games released this year.

I have no problems with skipping software. I was interesting in far cry 6, didn't bother the moment i heard it had no DLSS support and barely scraped by FPS wise on nvidia gpu's as result.

clarky

Gold Member
I have no problems with skipping software. I was interesting in far cry 6, didn't bother the moment i heard it had no DLSS support and barely scraped by FPS wise on nvidia gpu's as result.
Same, but what a ridiculous statement, no DLSS no buy. Sure if a game runs like shit, its a skip. Although even if Far Cry ran at 1000FPS I'd still skip it, I've played that game 5 times already.

Fortunately there literally 100's of games that run just fine without DLSS. Would you skip Tetris, Disco Elysium or Halo MCC if those games interested you just because they don't implement it?

elliot5

Maybe u missed it but the game does have RT and its going to be some serious shit implementation of it in order to shoot for parity because amd sponsored. the same how far cry 6 , ac valhalla all got crippled for no other reason then support AMD cards that nobody even owns. AMD is great for consoles is fucking trash for PC and that's the reality of things.

Also u never have enough performance when it comes to only shooters, DLSS takes no effort to be implemented as indie devs themselves have stated so, its simple a demand from that god tier garbage company called AMD.

Instead of actually making half decent GPU's they decide to nuke the market as much as they can with there sponsorships.

It WILL have RT but it remains to be seen what it entails. It won't at launch. I agree that DLSS would be nice for when RT comes but who knows when that will be and why arbitrarily limit yourself until then lol...

DLSS isn't no effort. It's easier to implement than before thanks to things like UE4 plugins, but it's not no effort. Especially for custom engines you still need to implement it within the render pipeline. Something 343 could do, of course.

I'm a little peeved about the AMD sponsorship stuff but you're also being a bit dramatic

Buggy Loop

It WILL have RT but it remains to be seen what it entails. It won't at launch. I agree that DLSS would be nice for when RT comes but who knows when that will be and why arbitrarily limit yourself until then lol...

DLSS isn't no effort. It's easier to implement than before thanks to things like UE4 plugins, but it's not no effort. Especially for custom engines you still need to implement it within the render pipeline. Something 343 could do, of course.

I'm a little peeved about the AMD sponsorship stuff but you're also being a bit dramatic

This is not true anymore, with the SDK available to public, it takes but a few hours for indie devs to have it running, like the Mario 64 RT guy did. For a major studio? There’s no excuses anymore.

Top Bottom