• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite - Review Thread

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I don't really use vpn tricks.

Hopefully they are not gonna do like many games that unlock at 6pm instead of the beginning of the day.
i do because it makes me enjoy games like 24 hours earlier almost.
xbox is piss easy to do so also.. i basically use this trick for ANY big release.. never had any issues.

fuck they finally changed it.. :pie_roffles:

it's 19:00 euro time on 8th.. same as NZST (7 a.m 9th)
oh well it was fun while it lasted

Last edited:

GymWolf

Don’t know if this applies to PC Steam but for console it’s 7pm unless you go NZ like with Forza Horizon 5.

i do because it makes me enjoy games like 24 hours earlier almost.
xbox is piss easy to do so also.. i basically use this trick for ANY big release.. never had any issues.

fuck the finally changed it.. :pie_roffles:

it's 19:00 euro time on 8th.. same as NZST (7 a.m 9th)
oh well it was fun while it lasted
Oh fuck off with these stupid release times...

Why in the hell can't they unlock at 00:00?

hlm666

lmaoooo
263273672_1250465418767646_8453318612184979424_n.png
EasyAllies gave God of War a perfect score aswell and had this in their review.

"During our entire playthrough we only encountered a few minor graphic flaws such as weapons or hair clipping through clothing. There was also one time where the game wouldn’t load, resulting in a few minutes of lost progress, and in a few instances, the camera could be kind of finicky during combat. However, these inconsistencies were few and insignificant. The overall level of quality on display is awe-inspiring. "

None of the shit that gets perfect scores is perfect, the same way we hardly ever get games scoring below 50% these days the scoring system is pretty useless. It's why reviews like ACG are much more useful.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Oh fuck off with these stupid release times...

Why in the hell can't they unlock at 00:00?
Yup that NZ trick made me play it around 13:00 or something day before.. was great.
oh well... also the steam key is not as cheap right now on keysites.
and i sure as fuck don't want a games for windows key.

guess i will wait. or pay nothing and use my free gamepass code. (but i kinda like owning games and not renting them)

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yup that NZ trick made me play it around 13:00 or something day before.. was great.
oh well... also the steam key is not as cheap right now on keysites.
and i sure as fuck don't want a games for windows key.
I think that i'm gonna use a month of gamepass for 1 euro to play this one.

acm2000

EasyAllies gave God of War a perfect score aswell and had this in their review.

"During our entire playthrough we only encountered a few minor graphic flaws such as weapons or hair clipping through clothing. There was also one time where the game wouldn’t load, resulting in a few minutes of lost progress, and in a few instances, the camera could be kind of finicky during combat. However, these inconsistencies were few and insignificant. The overall level of quality on display is awe-inspiring. "

None of the shit that gets perfect scores is perfect, the same way we hardly ever get games scoring below 50% these days the scoring system is pretty useless. It's why reviews like ACG are much more useful.
95% isnt perfect, but that equates to 10/10 when rounded.

opinions are like arseholes, theyre all shit, and thats what reviews are.

Last edited:

the_master

So pretty much confirmed Far Cry version of Halo except with 0 location variety.

Just because it is Halo it is 85 otherwise it would be high 70s.

When I inevitably get X the SEX next year this will be a hard pass
Except that every review I have read states that it is thankfully not like Far Cry at all, so not a map full of generic missions

Batiman

Banned
So pretty much confirmed Far Cry version of Halo except with 0 location variety.

Just because it is Halo it is 85 otherwise it would be high 70s.

When I inevitably get X the SEX next year this will be a hard pass
You got that idea from what review?

hlm666

95% isnt perfect, but that equates to 10/10 when rounded.

opinions are like arseholes, theyre all shit, and thats what reviews are.

10/10 no rounding required, lists as 100% on crapcritic. We could do it all day go to crapcritic find a game with 100% reviews and read the reviews, nearly all have some kind of negative comment. I'm pretty sure the guy I replied to isn't going to other threads when a game gets 100% and making lol screenshots from quotes from the reviews.

BbMajor7th

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you've said, but I'm not sure you followed the previous conversation from the beginning. This began when one poster proclaimed the story of the game as "objectively bad" based on what reviews said. So no, there is no pressure for me to redefine anything. This was about misusing words and attempting to elevate an opinion by describing it as "objective".
Yeah, that was a ridiculous point to make - you can't declare anything objectively 'bad' in a vacuum, and 'bad' is such a broad generalisation that even if you could it wouldn't tell you anything. They seemed to think they were smarter than us mere mortals though, so I left them to their little ivory tower (and probable mod warnings).

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

A game with a perfect score doesn't mean it's without flaws or issues. If it got a perfect score it means the overall quality of the experience that you had with the game was just that damn good, easily eclipsing the minor things. Sometimes the things you love and consider perfect experiences aren't perfect in all things. There's always something you maybe wished it did different or better. That's how it is. Final Fantasy VII back in the PS1 days wasn't what I would label perfect, but it was an unbelievable experience for me, enough for me to look past any issue I had at the time. Lost Odyssey wasn't perfect, but that would have gotten a perfect score from me also, Blue Dragon would have been another perfect score for me. Quantum Break would have been a perfect score from me. South Park: The Stick of Truth would have also gotten a perfect score. Halo 4 would have also. Splinter Cell Conviction? Another perfect score from me. Loved that fucking game.

Every game that has gotten a perfect score anywhere has issues and flaws. None of them are truly ever 100% flawless if we're being totally honest, although there are games I feel that do achieve that. Did people love the weapon degrade system in Breath of the Wild? I sure as hell didn't, and yet it would get a perfect score from me. It just wasn't enough of a problem to degrade the game from a perfect score. Lots of people gave the last metal gear perfect scores. Was that perfect? I sure as hell think not.

A perfect score even when someone acknowledges issues is a sign that the game's strengths are just that fucking strong in the eyes of the reviewer. God of War 2018 isn't perfect, neither was Spider-man, Ghosts of Tsushima, but they all got perfect scores from someone. The best game out of those 3 by far is God of War. It's easily better than Ghosts of Tsushima and Spider-Man PS4. I think the one game among Sony's recent games that's actually on God of War 2018's level is The Last of Us 2, but some would disagree with that. Last of Us 2 and God of War 2018 would get perfect scores from me, the rest, including Horizon Zero Dawn, would not.
I mean, the hypothetical question that presents itself is 'if the dev had fixed all those minor imperfections what would the score be?' The answer is of course it can't go higher, so either those faults make no difference to the experience (in which case they're not faults and don't detract in any way) or the initial score didn't reflect the potential for improvement. The other is to ask 'if you give five games a perfect score in a year, which gets the game of year, and if one is superior to all the others, why wasn't this reflected in the score?'

It's an odd thing and I don't really know the answer, but I suppose it's why outlets have begun moving to unscored reviews, because numbers don't adequately reflect the reviewers feelings and often detract from their broader analysis.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

Reviews are opinions basically, but when I heard him say that the graphics look like something straight of the 360... um... 360 not even Xbox One LMAO. As long as this guys score doesn't count towards the Meta.
That guy review is bullshit. He is not real Halo fun, he just pretend to be one.

Wvrs

Is it possible to download to and play PC Gamepass games off of an external HDD? I've been doing that with multiplayer via Steam but don't really wanna pay $60 for just campaign. Haven't got an Xbox or capable home PC.

kuncol02

Banned
Forza goes open world and ends up making the best games in the franchise.

Halo goes open world and ends up making the best game in the franchise.

I'm just saying.
Gears went kinda open world and end up making second best game in the franchise.
It's time for open world Conker game!

splattered

People in this thread showing just how close minded they really are. So what if Microsoft put out most of the best reviewed games of the year? How does this hurt you? So the game scored well.. it just means people enjoyed it and the delay actually paid off. In what reality could that even upset someone? How can you argue against someone having fun with a gaming experience and stand up and say naw their scores/feelings are false? You haven't even played the damn thing yourselves, everything you are whining about right now is based off of bias, not personal experience. Just sit down shut up and let people enjoy something for once. Fuck.

People in this thread showing just how close minded they really are. So what if Microsoft put out most of the best reviewed games of the year? How does this hurt you? So the game scored well.. it just means people enjoyed it and the delay actually paid off. In what reality could that even upset someone? How can you argue against someone having fun with a gaming experience and stand up and say naw their scores/feelings are false? You haven't even played the damn thing yourselves, everything you are whining about right now is based off of bias, not personal experience. Just sit down shut up and let people enjoy something for once. Fuck.
Didn't you hear? There's a console war to fight!

Ichabod

Banned
No pony in the race but Reddit is saying theres no day 1 Co-op, no day 1 level/chapter select, no forge, gutted multiplayer options that have been staples of the series since Combat Evolved, no career stat/medal tracking, EA levels of microtransaction shenanigans for the much touted battlepass.

I'll be interested in seeing if these impact the meta scores over time or if they will be glossed over with 343's promises to fix things in post.

THEAP99

Banned
No pony in the race but Reddit is saying theres no day 1 Co-op, no day 1 level/chapter select, no forge, gutted multiplayer options that have been staples of the series since Combat Evolved, no career stat/medal tracking, EA levels of microtransaction shenanigans for the much touted battlepass.

I'll be interested in seeing if these impact the meta scores over time or if they will be glossed over with 343's promises to fix things in post.
Reviewers have no problem praising incomplete games these days sadly.

ViolentP

So any game with scores of 10 is completely perfect? Any game? Alrighty then. People just chose to be dense, its fine.
No. Anyone that uses a perfect score for a non-perfect game will be the one that erred here. As I said, it's basic math.

A scale is determined to define subjective perception of quality. The levels of the scale are determined by the high and the low score. When you end up with 5 10's, you lose visibility of which of those 5 is better than the others, thus completely devaluing the high end of the scale. And without that high-end, everything below it loses it's value.

In a subjective field, the low/high score was the only constant. When you toss that out, you are left with nothing. But you're right. I'm being dense or some other such nonsense.

Schmick

To be fair I could probably copy and paste this message for a post in any thread about a game and it will ring true.

E.g. I reckon I could use it in the next game review thread for the next Naughty Dog game. Just change MS to Sony.

Unfortunately fanboys exist from all corners. Nothing we can do about it.

RAIDEN1

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it here, but did you know? (To take that phrase from the YouTube show..) that once you complete the Halo Infinite campaign, you can't go back to individual missions...like you could with the previous games...the game only allows you to go back to the main outdoor setting to mop up any odd enemy base camp which you may have missed....having said that going by what ACG said in his review that first part of the game was nothing to write home about anyway....so it isn't as if you are missing a key part ..

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it here, but did you know? (To take that phrase from the YouTube show..) that once you complete the Halo Infinite campaign, you can't go back to individual missions...like you could with the previous games...the game only allows you to go back to the main outdoor setting to mop up any odd enemy base camp which you may have missed....having said that going by what ACG said in his review that first part of the game was nothing to write home about anyway....so it isn't as if you are missing a key part ..
Seems like they made a good amount of sacrifices to get this game out this year

RAIDEN1

Seems like they made a good amount of sacrifices to get this game out this year
It is a bit strange though, not sure why they decided not to let you choose how you go back..some have said with this being the case it may make the would-be standout moments of the game-less memorable with this level of restriction..

Loope

No. Anyone that uses a perfect score for a non-perfect game will be the one that erred here. As I said, it's basic math.

A scale is determined to define subjective perception of quality. The levels of the scale are determined by the high and the low score. When you end up with 5 10's, you lose visibility of which of those 5 is better than the others, thus completely devaluing the high end of the scale. And without that high-end, everything below it loses it's value.

In a subjective field, the low/high score was the only constant. When you toss that out, you are left with nothing. But you're right. I'm being dense or some other such nonsense.
Then the 10 could never be used, do you have that chip on you shoulder with every 10/10 review out there? Like you said it is subjective, i can find a game with some flaws regarding, let's say graphics, and still believe it's the best game ever, therefore a 10/10. You want to apply a math concise definition to a subjective view.

ViolentP

Then the 10 could never be used, do you have that chip on you shoulder with every 10/10 review out there? Like you said it is subjective, i can find a game with some flaws regarding, let's say graphics, and still believe it's the best game ever, therefore a 10/10. You want to apply a math concise definition to a subjective view.
I believe the 10/10 scale is too small, yeah. 100 gives you more flexibility when it comes to comparison ratings. Increasing to 1000 could be even more accurate but impractical.

Secondly, calm down a little bit. I am only talking to you. I don't have a chip on my shoulder and I assure you I know the difference between objectivity and subjectivity. A person's opinion of a game has little sway on my opinion. I am only discussing the use of the scale and how it is not sustainable without the integrity of the highest/lowest values.

Last edited:

Loope

I believe the 10/10 scale is too small, yeah. 100 gives you more flexibility when it comes to comparison ratings. Increasing to 1000 would be even more accurate but impractical.

Secondly, calm down a little bit. I am only talking to you. I don't have a chip on my shoulder and I assure you I know the difference between objectivity and subjectivity. A person's opinion of a game has little sway on my opinion. I am only discussing the use of the scale and how it is not sustainable without the integrity of the highest/lowest values.
I'm calm man. I agree about the 100 scale. It was always used before the X360 gen.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Watched the Gmanlives review and the guy makes the game sound very meh.

I was willing to give the game a try, but if it's just the same gameplay as Halo: CE but open world and in 2021, then I guess I can skip it. Good for the fans of the series I guess, the same thing but with some improvements sounds fine for someone who enjoys those games.

Top Bottom