• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite - Review Thread

The general consensus I'm seeing is that gameplay loop is fantastic, exploring the open world is fun, bosses are some of the best implemented in a FPS game, and story is decent. Looks like we'll be playing the best Halo game since Halo Reach in just a few days, can't freaking wait.

Godot25

Banned
I've already read the story transcript and know exactly what happens, some of the videos I've seen prove those leaked transcripts to be right. This is also backed by the fact that reviewers are saying story is the weakest part of the game.
I would say that "one biome" is weakest part of game. But whatever.
At least don't say shit like "story is objectively" bad. Especially when you "read the transcript." You don't like it. Okay. Some reviewers don't like it. Okay. Some reviewers like it.

reksveks

Campaign DLC incoming?
Halo Infinite Frozen Wilds?
I am expecting more shorter games from Microsoft and Sony. I am off today so might do some boring data science analysis on howlongtobeat.

I don't know why but have the feeling that Rachet, Miles Morales and one other Sony game is on the shorter side is a trend.

ACG just commenting on how better the game would be with co-op, I do wonder what the review score would have been if it was in the game.

Edder1

Tell me more of your opinions about games you didn’t play, I’m super interested.

You can’t judge a video game story by reading a transcript (in case you are serious).
I never criticised gameplay since everyone says it's good, I only spoke about story. Who said I only based on transcript? If that was the case I would have commentes about this in other Halo threads. I've seen the gameplay videos and watched reviews, they confirm my concerns.

So another MS flagship title ends up in low 80 metacritic. The time and money invested in this and they can't break 90? It's their flagship title with a year delay.
87 is low ???

gary coleman wtf GIF

If I play for gameplay then I might as well stuck with multiplayer. What made Halo unique, was combination of story, gameplay, unique environments a s big set pieces, but now two out of four of those important factors are missing.

Outside of Halo 2's Arbiter ark, the Halo game story has never been very deep or complicated. It's pretty standard fare "kill aliens and save humanity" trope. The only reason we care so much is because Master Chief and Cortana were so well realized.

Edder1

No, I'm saying you don't understand the difference between objective and subjective. Objective is something you can measure. Subjective is an opinion. It is fine if you believe the story and writing is bad then that is your opinion. I can disagree with your opinion and think both are fantastic. This is why both our opinions are factually subjective.
You're trying too hard. It's objectively bad if it's universally criticised, which is the case here.

Haggard

Banned
Who taught you that 87 is low 80's?
He probably missed some math classes
Think he meant the PC scores.

RespawnX

I never criticised gameplay since everyone says it's good, I only spoke about story. Who said I only based on transcript? If that was the case I would have commentes about this in other Halo threads. I've seen the gameplay videos and watched reviews, they confirm my concerns.
Sorry but which games do you mean again exactly? I've been playing Halo for 20 years. My perception is that the games never had a great story. Actually, compared to modern story telling like The Last of Us, it's "weak". That was never the point. Halo manages to create a living universe with a believable "superhero" character, good gameplay and a unique shooter sandbox. Along with Doom, one of the few titles that stayed true to the original shooter essence. Halo Infinite develops this formula further and from that point of view it is probably even the best Halo game.

Ozriel

M$FT
Well, that's your personal opinion then, it contradicts what most reviewers are saying. I didn't even need to play the game to know that the pilot character is extremely annoying, something that's now been pointed out in reviews. I also read story transcript that leaked and it was very underwhelming, the reviews just confirm that.

Why are you so desperate for the story to be bad?
First you challenge the guy on whether he is qualified to comment on the story quality. Then when he confirms that he in fact has played the game, you try to invalidate his own experience by your ‘experience’ watching a few trailers.
Ironically, most reviews are - at worst - mild on the story. But here you are, eagerly trying to push a narrative that the story is complete garbage. even going as far as claiming it is ‘objectively bad’.

No, it's objectively bad with poor characters and plotline compared to original trilogy. 343 has always been criticised for poor writing, something that's not been the case with Bungie. Just because some people like it doesn't detract from the fact that it's bad writing. Some people like new Star Wars, but that doesn't detract from the fact that they're poorly written.

Well, the general consensus from the reviewers you’ve been leaning on so heavily is that this campaign surpasses most of the previous ones…including Bungie’s efforts.
nobody has claimed the new Star Wars trilogy ranks up there with the best, so your analogy doesn’t work.

Godot25

Banned
So now we are doing this? Searching for lowest scored version and claiming this is "right" score?
Like those pathetic PS/Xbox fanboys on Twitter that will check scores of same game and if it is lower on competing platform then that platform is shit?

That's why is way better to use OpenCritic, because you have all versions in one score.

Outside of Halo 2's Arbiter ark, the Halo game story has never been very deep or complicated. It's pretty standard fare "kill aliens and save humanity" trope. The only reason we care so much is because Master Chief and Cortana were so well realized.
Actually, I've always seen Halo being more than that. The Forerunners, the Flood, the Halo rings, all of these felt as something magical - we were given tidbits of what they were, they made sense, but never to a super deep level, and this is what I loved about Bungie. 343i, in my opinion, ruined that by giving you lots of info that would you only understand if you read the books. I felt Halo 4 was a overload of information that, imo, should have been left more superficial. But this is my take on it (haven't touched Halo for many years now), I know people who think that Halo 4 was amazing.

I hope Halo Infinite goes back more to the Bungie era of storytelling (I have hopes with Joseph Staten there now).

Last edited:

Edder1

I would say that "one biome" is weakest part of game. But whatever.
At least don't say shit like "story is objectively" bad. Especially when you "read the transcript." You don't like it. Okay. Some reviewers don't like it. Okay. Some reviewers like it.
Almost all reviewers bar a few are saying story is the weakest part of the game.

T0minator

I don't understand the lack of biomes criticism, does it need a mine cart or lava filled biome to be acceptable? Really weird critisisim.
Variety is what most gamers want in a full campaign. So it's not a weird criticism. Imagine Gears only having one area, it wouldn't be acceptable, even Ghost of Tsushima with one island had a huge amount of variety.

I know it's going to be amazing to play Halo again but it is pretty apparent that the development of Halo Infinite was a struggle for 343, they still have the community telling them how to make their game there wasn't a clear focus on maximizing that extra year as much as most assumed they will. Makes me wonder what it would've been like a year ago they really weren't ready for launch. I wish Bungie gets bought by Microsoft and they take Halo back.

reksveks

That's a very forgiven read of his comment so happy to accept that it's a mistake.

I wished MC had a game review score across all platforms.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Smh. I already said I've read the story, it leaked a log time ago. Reviewers and videos I've seen just reaffirm that.
So what was in the leak exactly if not a transcript of the story? You should quit while you’re not too far behind.

Topher

Gold Member
You're trying too hard. It's objectively bad if it's universally criticised, which is the case here.

Nope. Not how that works. Everyone can share the same opinion, but that doesn't make it fact.

But here.....let's just take away your "universally criticized" claim to demonstrate how subjective opinions work:

"Excellent story and characters"

Edder1

Gamespot: "The incredible story occasionally falters with a forgettable antagonist and some rushed character development"
Edder Long: STORYYYY IS BADDD
I'm not gonna play this childish game where you take one quote from one review to try to prove your point.

"forgettable antagonist and some rushed character development" seems like a big deal when it comes to storytelling lol.

Last edited:
So now we are doing this? Searching for lowest scored version and claiming this is "right" score?
Like those pathetic PS/Xbox fanboys on Twitter that will check scores of same game and if it is lower on competing platform then that platform is shit?

That's why is way better to use OpenCritic, because you have all versions in one score.

Honestly, that's tiring, I don't understand that. It's so nice to have the 1st party games from Sony and MS providing strong games on each side, to push the competition in terms of quality etc ...

Actually, I've always seen Halo being more than that. The Forerunners, the Flood, the Halo rings, all of these felt as something magical - we were given tidbits of what they were, they made sense, but never to a super deep level, and this is what I loved about Bungie. 343i, in my opinion, ruined that by giving you lots of info that would you only understand if you read the books. I felt Halo 4 was a overload of information that, imo, should have been left more superficial. But this is my take on it (haven't touched Halo for many years now), I know people who think that Halo 4 was amazing.

I hope Halo Infinite goes back more to the Bungie era of storytelling (I have hopes with Joseph Staten there now).

You're right in that Bungie merely only teased players with the lore behind forerunners and the flood, but there only so many times you can hint at something before you have to explain exactly what it is.

I've read up on a lot of the more detailed lore that 343i has created surrounding Forerunners, Precursors, Ancient Humans, etc. And although it can get convoluted, I don't think it's bad at all.

Ozriel

M$FT
So another MS flagship title ends up in low 80 metacritic. The time and money invested in this and they can't break 90? It's their flagship title with a year delay.

Oh No What GIF by Identity

Making up your own MC scores is such a novel strategy, but it’s not very effective. And people are already laughing at you.

keep it simple. Just complain about biomes. See, that’s one area 343 could have done much better. Or coop.

reksveks

Variety is what most gamers want in a full campaign. So it's not a weird criticism. Imagine Gears only having one area, it wouldn't be acceptable, even Ghost of Tsushima with one island had a huge amount of variety.
Yeah, I think it largely depends on the campaign length. I just hope that it doesn't burn me out by the end of the campaign.

Everyone can share the same opinion, but that doesn't make it fact.
I just have a feeling that Eddie refuses to learn what being objective means.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm not gonna play this childish game where you take one quote from one review to try to prove your point.

"forgettable antagonist and some rushed character development" seems like a big deal when it comes to storytelling lol.

Did you seriously just say you were not going to play a childish game of taking one quote from one review to prove a point.......and then take one quote from one review to prove your point?

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

You're right in that Bungie merely only teased players with the lore behind forerunners and the flood, but there only so many times you can hint at something before you have to explain exactly what it is.

I've read up on a lot of the more detailed lore that 343i has created surrounding Forerunners, Precursors, Ancient Humans, etc. And although it can get convoluted, I don't think it's bad at all.
I liked that because the game had that main story, between Chief and Cortana and saving humanity, but all of it was kinda like a drop in the ocean. Suddenly, Halo 4 comes and there's an overload of info and I was getting so confused that the main story quickly lost me. Some cool stuff in the game, but it was too much.

So I really hope Staten changes something there and goes back to Bungie style storytelling.

RespawnX

Lol, stop trying to make it about me. It's the reviewers saying this, not me. I alret had this concern when I read the leaked story, not it's just been confirmed. Why don't you take it withose reviewers and 343 instead of being offended by me.
"reviewers" are just some people giving a subjective opinions. In best case these are underlined with reasonable arguments. If the story doesn't appeal to you based on the arguments, then that' s fine. But why are you shitting all over this thread? Who exactly are you trying to convince of what? People here came because they are interested in the game and want to share opinions and thoughts. You aren't interested anymore? Move on, world is big.

Last edited:

MOTM

Banned
I got the score right.

is it me or marketing has been lacking? i guess it’s not needed in pandemic times.
I think today’s MS just let’s Gamepass do the marketing for them. I guess they feel that +/- 30 million people having access to the game generates enough discussion for the game without having to blast every media with ads.

Could be wrong but that’s the impression I’ve been having lately.

Edder1

Did you seriously just say you were not going to play a childish game of taking one quote from one review to prove a point.......and then take one quote from one review to prove your point?
Are you seriously that thick? I didn't bring up a quote of my own to play these childish games, I used his own quote to show it contradicts what he's trying to prove.

Next time read what it is you trying to reply.

Last edited:

Assaulty

A bit lowed than I'd hoped and I have to say: I think a 70 is very low and some of the actual reviews make it seem like it should be 75-80.

The multiplayer truly is a return to form for the Franchise and I am enjoying myself very much. But just like everything in this game it seems, it is pretty barebones. There needs to be a big playlist influx within the next 2 months for the game to keep thriving.

Imagine this game launching with the amount of content Halo 3 had at launch. We'd be looking at the best reviewed game of 2021. But unfortunately games launch barebones nowadays and this game launches extra barebones. No doubt in my mind that this game, in a year or two, is the greatest Halo game ever created.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Well, that's your personal opinion then, it contradicts what most reviewers are saying. I didn't even need to play the game to know that the pilot character is extremely annoying, something that's now been pointed out in reviews. I also read story transcript that leaked and it was very underwhelming, the reviews just confirm that.
So basically "never let the truth get in the way of a preconceived narrative'. Gotcha.

reksveks

I think today’s MS just let’s Gamepass do the marketing for them. I guess they feel that +/- 30 million people having access to the game generates enough discussion for the game without having to blast every media with ads.

Could be wrong but that’s the impression I’ve been having lately.
Think you are right but think they are missing the ball here. I think they need to make sure that they keep up with marketing games just like other content providers do. There is benefit of advertising the library but they definitely need to advertise the new hot game as well. Do we have any estimate on marketing spend by publisher?

Last edited:
Top Bottom