• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite - Review Thread

JLB

Banned
Yesterday I played the first 4 missions.
I have to say that Im liking The Weapon a lot, really fun and great acting. The guy on the ship on the other hand...

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You mofos make me want to try the game, and this is from someone who gave 0 fucks about Halo since I beat the first one back in the day, which imho had some reaaaally great moments but also some really dull ones.

Do I need to play the previous games to more or less understand what's going on in this one?

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
So 11 hours and some change later of playing and I'm at 50 percent complete. I thought I'd find the open world stuff annoying but actually enjoying it. Also I'm liking the story so far. Hunting for audio logs really adds to the story. There are some nightpicks I have though.

Feedback isn't completely clear. I've just died and no clue why. Had grenades near me and had no clue. Had my vehicle explode and didn't even know it was about to. Also still not a fan of the explosion effects in this game. Still those are about my biggest negatives so far.

Do I need to play the previous games to more or less understand what's going on in this one?
I played Halo 1 back in the day but never finished it. Now I'm playing Infinite. Yes, you definitely will not get any of the story. But you can tell they throw some nods in to new players.

My advice is to just play the new one. Then go back and play the old ones if you want. I'm actually enjoying this, so I might do that as well since I can play them for free basically. I would have never purchased a FPS game, but for this price I'm enjoying it. Lots of cool sci-fi art design.

If you want to watch a recap video you could, but it's almost like opening up a can of worms. The mythology and history of the series seems like it could cover about 10 movies. I checked out after about 5 min of a recap video lol, but I'll give Halo 1 a shot again after I'm done with Halo Infinite.

RAIDEN1

I started off on Legendary last night. Didn't seem too difficult. Am I in trouble later?
It is said that even playing on Normal is no walk in the park and is the new heroic, which I will see when I start it later today.....also on a separate note, another did you know moment, did you know? Halo Infinite was originally planned as a Zelda Breath of the Wild in terms of scale.....but due to its development drama since 2018 the game was cut by 2/3rd ....so it is what it is...hopefully the next instalment will have a smoother development run...(deja vu of Mass Effect Andromeda...but thankfully still a great game in this instance..)

It is said that even playing on Normal is no walk in the park and is the new heroic, which I will see when I start it later today.....also on a separate note, another did you know moment, did you know? Halo Infinite was originally planned as a Zelda Breath of the Wild in terms of scale.....but due to its development drama since 2018 the game was cut by 2/3rd ....so it is what it is...hopefully the next instalment will have a smoother development run...(deja vu of Mass Effect Andromeda...but thankfully still a great game in this instance..)
Heroic is no joke, I’ve played all the others on Heroic and it’s a good challenge. I’m still able to have fun by running and gunning but brutes and elites take a bit more thought. In numbers Jackals and Grunts are no slouch either. I’ve died a bunch of times already but it’s great fun.

RAIDEN1

Heroic is no joke, I’ve played all the others on Heroic and it’s a good challenge. I’m still able to have fun by running and gunning but brutes and elites take a bit more thought. In numbers Jackals and Grunts are no slouch either. I’ve died a bunch of times already but it’s great fun.
Even though I have played all the entries I think normal if it is what they say it is "plenty challenging and the new heroic" will be just fine then...after all I am up for the story side just as importantly..

NinjaBoiX

About the same score Halo 5 had lol. So I'm assuming it's a 7 or 8/10. Not surprised that Jeff Grubb, Windows Central, and Ryan from IGN are praising the hell out of it. These same people praised the hell out of Halo 5's mediocre campaign
“I’m not surprised that the people who liked Halo 5 also like the next Halo game.”

Well no shit…

You mofos make me want to try the game, and this is from someone who gave 0 fucks about Halo since I beat the first one back in the day, which imho had some reaaaally great moments but also some really dull ones.

you don't need to. if you are gonna play any to understand Infinite better then it'd obviously be 4 and 5 but you don't even NEED to play those. i'd just jump into Infinite then if you want more then go back to play 4 + 5. if you still want more then go play 1-3. if you still want even more then play ODST/Reach.

you can get Master Chief Collection dirt cheap these days but it doesn't include Halo 5. you need to buy it seperate. if you're on PC then the only way to play Halo 5 is through xCloud. Halo 5 gets a lot of hate and 343/MS like to pretend it doesn't exist (i honestly quite enjoyed it)

Crew511A

I played through the first level on Legendary last night and didn't have too much trouble. The game is very generous with ammo and grenades. Granted, it's just the first level, but the first level of H2 on Legendary was one of the hardest levels in the game for me.

I'm mostly worried about getting sniped across the map by Jackal snipers.

Bridges

I need to play all other Halos first. :messenger_sad_relieved:
Should have started earlier, I wasnt expecting Infinite to be this good.
I feel ya, only just finished Halo 1 so I've got a long way to go. Never really cared about the franchise before other than Reach's multiplayer, but the infinite multiplayer was so good it's made me want to go back, and now Infinite is reviewing so well that now I feel I've got to check it out.

twilo99

So i followed that link you provided.

I'm averaging 43ms to West UK.

That is very good and its also why you are getting solid results. I think their datacenter/server count will only continue to grow so that more people can be in that sub 50ms club

Ozriel

M$FT
I don’t think that’s it - I think he just (rightly) feels the narrative of halo is not nearly the quality of a song first party game. And… it’s not. But that’s not what halo is about anyway - it’s the gameplay and encounters.

- Game is amazing btw. Exactly what halo should be. It’s not too deep.
if you admit that everyone knows that thats not what the series is about, why is he even making the comparison?

Shame he’s falling from game development relevance to clickbaiting and clout-chasing

About the same score Halo 5 had lol. So I'm assuming it's a 7 or 8/10. Not surprised that Jeff Grubb, Windows Central, and Ryan from IGN are praising the hell out of it. These same people praised the hell out of Halo 5's mediocre campaign
What kind of thought process is this? ‘I’m not surprised people who like Halo 5 like Halo Infinite just as much or more’ of course they would, Infinite is good.

Why don’t you play it and make up your own mind?

I’m liking the campaign so far, the gameplay , the music spot on and I was usually one of those “sigh at more Halo, Gears, Forza” kind of folk.

It’s good to see Xbox delivering the goods, which is only what us more critical fans wanted in the first place. Keep it up MS!

kyoji

Okay 5/10 from what I've played so far. It's okay but pretty bare minimum for me. Multiplayer is better but that's lacking content.
Put your vest on, and protect your neck, they coming for you man, best not talk about any technical aspects of it either
iPwzSsf.gif

😹

iHaunter

Cutscenes probably needed to be 10 mins longer each so people could really get the true motivation as to why John117 grew up the way he did, and why he's so out in space.

All the marine and random dialogue is so lifeless, should have probably had another cutscene before every encounter so we could really understand why the aliens wanted to activate the Halo and fight the only humans out there.
Also, maybe it was just me? The first like few hours of the game had no music? Like nothing. Tried on XSX and PC.

Hydroxy

Deleted after trying it on gamepass. Never found any Halo campaigns engaging and this is no different. The Multiplayer is atleast a little bit fun

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I played it for a few hours today and it is not as good as Halo used to be.But that's mainly because I spent so much time in my childhood playing 1&2 in couch coop with friends and we parted ways since, so it couldn't reach this level of fun.
But other than that it feels like the classic Ubisoft formula you go capture a stronghold and it reveals collectibles on the map.The gunplay is satisfying but I would have liked the weapons to have a bit more impact.The heavy machine gun seems to have the most and the shotgun feels like a nerfgun both in vibrations and in sounds for example.I hope there will be more variety in the gme later because it feels that it could become boring easily( the problem with the ubi formula).Visually at 4k60 on ultra it is not really mindblowing, some places have a nice ambiance but the world feels barren so far, maybe it will densify a bit later.I had the most fun with the kinetic (cinetic?) weapons so far, most of the other weapons don't feel good to me.Maybe I'll encounter better weapons in the future especially in the energy side of things.
So far I'd rate it a 15/20, more diversity and impactful weapon would probably push it to the 16 or 17 but for now it is pretty good not an awesome game and I have been to lost on the story side to really get the story so I won't judge this part.
And quick question but has Masterchief always been this cheesy (is that the right word?)?

Last edited:
Oh my lands the xbox pc app is dogshit. Constant issues updating. The game not updating everything at once, then got to update IN the game. Now I wake up and I had to update from the pos microsoft store since the button would on the app wouldn't work. Not to mention no access to the game files. Not to mention my firewall always blocking the game from connecting so I basically have to turn it off for it to connect. What a pile.

RAIDEN1

I played it for a few hours today and it is not as good as Halo used to be.But that's mainly because I spent so much time in my childhood playing 1&2 in couch coop with friends and we parted ways since, so it couldn't reach this level of fun.
But other than that it feels like the classic Ubisoft formula you go capture a stronghold and it reveals collectibles on the map.The gunplay is satisfying but I would have liked the weapons to have a bit more impact.The heavy machine gun seems to have the most and the shotgun feels like a nerfgun both in vibrations and in sounds for example.I hope there will be more variety in the gme later because it feels that it could become boring easily( the problem with the ubi formula).Visually at 4k60 on ultra it is not really mindblowing, some places have a nice ambiance but the world feels barren so far, maybe it will densify a bit later.I had the most fun with the kinetic (cinetic?) weapons so far, most of the other weapons don't feel good to me.Maybe I'll encounter better weapons in the future especially in the energy side of things.
So far I'd rate it a 15/20, more diversity and impactful weapon would probably push it to the 16 or 17 but for now it is pretty good not an awesome game and I have been to lost on the story side to really get the story so I won't judge this part.
And quick question but has Masterchief always been this cheesy (is that the right word?)?
First time coming back to Halo since I played 5 and must say I haven't got that far yet.. but it can be easy to loose your footing in the initial stages of the fight, while you are strafing and then in-advertly fall down a gap to your doom while trying to avoid enemy fire, or suddenly finding out all your weapons are out of ammo and you are frantically trying to find a replacement somewhere anywhere.... (not saying it as a criticism) probably just me being rusty in the world of FPS's....

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Truly strange decision to make this character...
To me the weapon IA is worse, she talks wayyyy too much.The guy was awful but I'm not seeing him much lately, wheras the IA is constantly talking to you and triies to act like a human.Which is weird because now masterchief sounds and acts a bit like a robot when it's IA acts as a human.Masterchief feels like the robot pet that is controlled by an human pretending to be an IA.Which could be a good thing if later in the story we learn that the IA was indeed manipulating Chief.(That is not a spoil I have no idea what the story will be and I barely even remember the story of previous games.)

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
To me the weapon IA is worse, she talks wayyyy too much.The guy was awful but I'm not seeing him much lately, wheras the IA is constantly talking to you and triies to act like a human.Which is weird because now masterchief sounds and acts a bit like a robot when it's IA acts as a human.Masterchief feels like the robot pet that is controlled by an human pretending to be an IA.Which could be a good thing if later in the story we learn that the IA was indeed manipulating Chief.(That is not a spoil I have no idea what the story will be and I barely even remember the story of previous games.)
I am talking about pilot, chick is fine

Game is so so fun, which only makes my disappointment in The graphics worse. Loving the sandbox gameplay, the chaos and physics are really fun to watch unfold. I don't mind dying just to reset. But good lord, the ugliest trees, the most sparse grass, everything rendered far away looks unfinished. Indoor alien stuff looks clean but man. Witcher 3 didn't have the best assets for foliage but they put so gd much of it with crazy sunsets the whole was more than the sum of its parts. Also the bodies disappear like barely after 10 seconds. Sad.

Also my frames are shit. 4790k 1080ti. I feel like I should maxing this image no sweat. Is there some sort of bad optimization going on?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Contents of this video

00:00 Intro
00:27 MARS
02:37 Classic Art Style Returns
04:28 Music
06:09 Story (No Spoilers)
09:36 Gameplay
15:13 Multiplayer
20:16 TONS Of Problems =(
32:24 Outro