• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite's Split-Screen Co-Op Has Been Canceled

Yes they actually did make a good game. And it's not just me saying that, it's professional sites and gamers saying that in droves. I'd love to know what actual percentage of Halo Infinite players planned to play the game split screen. 1%?
But be careful, Dutchy says you can't like the game since it's just bad, nobody likes it, and the metascore is overinflated. (but other games aren't, otherwise we'd have to dock scores for all of them)
Even less than 1% I would say, Not even the Nintendo lot plays in split screen these days, lets face it.

Kupfer

As someone who played all the entries on the OG Xbox and 360 (except Halo 4), the series is now dead to me for good. Co-op and espeacially couch-co-op was from the beginning for me, or us, THE unique selling point and THE reason to play Halo. To be honest, the games didn't get much better with continuous entries, but through co-op we still played it.

R.I.P.

Still playing and loving the old Halo games.
Had a Co-op playthrough of Halo Reach and CE just some months ago. Still a great experience. Halo 2, 3 and ODST incoming!

Last edited:

Lupin25

I used to play HOURS of split-screen campaign on HALO CE with my cousins growing up, so this sucks for those expecting it.

Hopefully, they’ll reconsider someday. It’s 10 year support for this game isn’t it?

Not really inducing confidence in their abilities. How hard can it be to include features that were working in previous gens? If they don't want to do it for some reasons, okay, but promise it and then fail. Not good.
The game was reviewed well initially. Now all I read is incompetent studio and missing stuff. Did it get praise for features that were not actually there then?
Sort of delivered, but promised more to come and that self inflicted underdelivered feeling diminishes now the perceived quality of the entire package? Not at all bad but just less than promised?

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Lets be honest, some people are right, how many people really wanted this feature. It's not that big of a deal. However confidence and trust is already very low and questionable, this is just another hole in a leaky ship. By itself probably not a big deal, but it's not by itself. But it's easy to see the comedy, least it's not Anthem right?

Moses85

The power of the

Rainbow Poop GIF by Kev Lavery

GooseMan69

I’m sure I’m the millionth person in this thread to say it, but Halo 3 launched with campaign, fully functional multiplayer, forge, and co-op. All day one, in 2007.

MadAnon

Who cares about split screen? Which was the last racing game released with split screen, not to mention FPS?

Judging by the outrage in this thread, shouldn't lack of split screen in modern games be a massive topic?

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I’m sure I’m the millionth person in this thread to say it, but Halo 3 launched with campaign, fully functional multiplayer, forge, and co-op. All day one, in 2007.

2007 was 15 years ago.

Halo Infinite only had 10 years in development. Not really fair, man.

(I have an anti-vaxxer friend so I've learned how to argue in ways that are undefeatable. Come at me bitch)

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
But Halo Infinite does have splitscreen multiplayer.

Wait, so it does have split-screen in MP? Like right now?

This whole thing feels surreal.

MP games are in many cases more challenging to do than SP for something like a CPU power.

The current roadmap is super disappointing. The leaks over the last several weeks had it looking like big changes were afoot, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It looks like, at least content wise, it will be quite dry until at least Forge. Hopefully the next few weeks, as they discuss more of the features available in Forge we see sentiment shift somewhat.

The cancellation of couch co-op is disappointing, though more because it was a feature that was promised. I've played the series since the original, and have fond memories of playing 1 - 3 in couch co-op, but I know it's a feature I'll never return to. Exists in the past for me, but it's a shame they're backtracking on their initial promise.

It seems Microsoft studios as a whole has struggled with the concept of a live service, and having the systems & processes in-place to support this model moving forward. If I remember correctly, Sea of Thieves was in a similar state (great gameplay loop but overall barebones) for at least a year, before they finally found their groove. Strange that some of the lessons learned there, weren't applied to Infinite before launch.

Topher

Gold Member
What proof? Topher is a Sony shill tried and true, we all know this. At best he is someone who has heavy bias, and should not be throwing stones. Hypocrisy at its finest. You want proof? Look at my history and you will find that I have been critical across the board and give due where it's deserved. Yes it's a fact that I prefer Xbox right now, but that is earned. PS is arrogant and its games are stale and one note. They are moneyhatting left and right and they are raping everyone on pricing . Their services are trash and there is little excitement for the future. Prove me wrong you shills.

I'm certainly a PlayStation fan and a biased one, no doubt. I've never said otherwise and I see no reason to since it is all about their games. If Sony stops making games like God of War, The Last of Us, Ghost of Tsushima and others then I'll stop being a fan of PlayStation. It's that simple.

But a shill is typically viewed as someone promotes/defends a company to a fault. Here are my recent comments on Jim Ryan and Sony's price hike of PS5.

Jim Ryan is President and CEO so this is on him. He's got a long list of stupid actions, most of which folks could just roll their eyes at and say "that's just Jim being Jim", but this is incompetence, imo. I used to scoff at the Dan Mattrick comparisons as the stupidity never reached those levels, but @Infamy v1's image above is proving to be accurate....

I mean......the guy has @Ass of Can Whooping wearing a green hat now. That alone is cause for termination.
I was hoping they would pull a Phil Spencer and reverse this decision like he did with XLG. But I don't think Jim Ryan gives a shit.
There are probably plenty of ways to justify this from a purely economic standpoint. But from a market-share, competition, and PR perspective this is just Jim Ryan being stupid again.

Hot Shots Idiot GIF

Glad I already have my PS5.

Compare those comments with your defense of 343 in this thread. And then step back and contemplate your ridiculous "what proof?" question with the picture of my XSX that you claimed I don't even have. You've made yourself look like a fool here. I think what you see in your post history and what others see is a matter of different realities.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I played all the old halo campaigns split screen local coop with friends, it was a staple of the franchise until shitty 343 took over.

If only there was a way to get the same experience these days, like using a screen everyone has in there pocket….

nemiroff

Gold Member
Jesus (I mean, not just for this, but it's a pile now..).. Been waiting for this to play with my son. Get 343 off this and any other project, now. Nuke from space and restart. And I say this with more than 1K hours in Halo games over the years.

“In order to improve and accelerate ongoing live service development, and to better address player feedback and quality of life updates, we have reallocated studio resources and are no longer working on local campaign split-screen co-op,”

Well, tha's a big FU to their many traditional Halo fans. So fuck you too 343, take your GAAS and shove it. I'm done with Halo.

Last edited:

Three

Incredibly bad management.
This isn't a management issue this is a salesman thing and good management. They know couch coop will do nothing in terms of revenue, they knew raytracing will do nothing in terms of revenue. It will just be sunk cost, especially for a subscription where you aren’t chasing the possibility of increased sales. They just did a lot of false promises for marketing purposes and this isn't limited just to Halo. Mtxs are their bread and butter and so they are concentrating on "ongoing live service development", they couldn't care less if you launched the game again to play with a friend. If the effort is high with no chance of a return in revenue then it's not happening, unless they sold it to you as DLC.

Last edited:
This isn't a management issue this is a salesman thing and good management. They know couch coop will do nothing in terms of revenue, they knew raytracing will do nothing in terms of revenue. It will just be sunk cost, especially for a subscription where you aren’t chasing the possibility of increased sales. They just did a lot of false promises for marketing purposes and this isn't limited just to Halo. Mtxs are their bread and butter and so they are concentrating on live service, they couldn't care less if you launched the game again to play with a friend. If the effort is high with no chance of a return in revenue then it's not happening, unless they sold it to you as DLC.

Its absolutely bad management.

A Live Service game with a 10 month season and basically no content to show for it isn't going to make them shit for money because the playerbase will be snoozing.

Infinite never should've been free to play, because this is what happens.

Three

Its absolutely bad management.

A Live Service game with a 10 month season and basically no content to show for it isn't going to make them shit for money because the playerbase will be snoozing.

Infinite never should've been free to play, because this is what happens.

No doubt some would argue that it failed there too but that's seemingly their excuse for abandoning this feature based on feedback regarding live service

" but it's seemingly a matter of priorities. 'In order to improve and accelerate ongoing live service development, and to better address player feedback and quality of life updates, we have reallocated studio resources and are no longer working on local campaign split-screen co-op' , said 343 Industries."

The translation is:

"we really don't think this is worth investing the time in or hiring and we will create new mtxs to sell you instead, that's where we're making money"

They simply shouldn't have lied about it to begin with though. The hilarious thing was that before the initial launch date (before the delay) 343i said raytracing was one of their top priorities too, and then nothing has happened for 2yrs but because they were trying to sell a new console and squash the poor gameplay showing marketing loved the future faking. It's a running theme.

Last edited:

Mitsurux

(Without writing a wall o text) This and a lot of the other issues with Halo Infinite really boil down to poor Project management. You can have all the resources in the world, but if they are managed poorly (ie clear directions/plans/milestones set) you get situations like this.

We probably won't know the extent of the issues until years from now (when some from the inside are able to speak about it)

FireFly

No doubt some would argue that it failed there too but that's seemingly their excuse for abandoning this feature based on feedback regarding live service

" but it's seemingly a matter of priorities. 'In order to improve and accelerate ongoing live service development, and to better address player feedback and quality of life updates, we have reallocated studio resources and are no longer working on local campaign split-screen co-op' , said 343 Industries."

The translation is:

"we really don't think this is worth investing the time in or hiring and we will create new mtxs to sell you instead, that's where we're making money"

They simply shouldn't have lied about it to begin with though. The hilarious thing was that before the initial launch date (before the delay) 343i said raytracing was one of their top priorities too, and then nothing has happened for 2yrs but because they were trying to sell a new console and squash the poor gameplay showing marketing loved the future faking. It's a running theme.
The key here is "accelerate ongoing live service development". They need to accelerate because they are so far behind, and by their own admission haven't even finished the *foundations* of Infinite. In that context they can't afford to spare resources for other features.

In a world where Infinite was ready even in the first year (see Halo 5), it would be a different story.

I don't give two shits about split screen coop ever since online consoles have been a thing but that still doesn't excuse not have online coop ready at launch or even a fucking year after launch. What in the hell are they doing over there?

CuNi

Even less than 1% I would say, Not even the Nintendo lot plays in split screen these days, lets face it.

Of all the people that played or planned to play Halo Infinite 0,5% at most i would say. I bet there are more warriors pretending to be super shocked and disappointed than actual gamers.

I'm sorry for having friends that I'd want to play games with sitting on the couch.
We already had to use Nucleus Coop for mcc but halo 2 anniversary is so horrible, even when I played it with another friend online we had crashes and disconnects in H2A and it's a known issue. That's why local is always better. Sadly, even the Tales of Games gave up on it.

I'm sorry for having friends that I'd want to play games with sitting on the couch.
We already had to use Nucleus Coop for mcc but halo 2 anniversary is so horrible, even when I played it with another friend online we had crashes and disconnects in H2A and it's a known issue. That's why local is always better. Sadly, even the Tales of Games gave up on it.
I have friends and kids too. Sadly for me and my friends, the idea of playing around single TV with 4 or more joypads died out with 360 and if we're around a single TV, its to have a drink and watch sport
Almost everyone I know barley owns 2 pads per system, not like in the old days when we all had multiple pads per system and the kids have moved out.

I just find it as the usual excuse to bash HALO and 343.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I think you misread that, Firefly person was saying Halo was slow and brutal, I was telling them to go play Doom. I happen to really like both.
Gotcha. I don’t think either series are “slow and brutal”. Both are arena shooters with Halo set at a moderate speed while DOOM got faster and faster.

I love both series (Though I don’t care at all for Halo 5/Infinite, Halo 4 was at least passable). Wish Halo was given the same love, attention, and design focus that id gives DOOM.

I'd like to clear the air here since THE DUCK THE DUCK struggles with reading comprehension: I did not say that Halo is slow and brutal. This was my post:

Just kill Halo already. They're already killing it, it's just slow and brutal. Grab the shotgun, shoot it in the head, and lets move on. I used to love Halo, but 343 just keeps 343ing.

I said that 343i is killing Halo slowly and brutally, not that the gameplay is slow and brutal. I'll just add on to what others have said and say that, unless someone specifically states that they are speaking for everyone, it should be assumed that one's post is their own opinion. THE DUCK THE DUCK , you need to work on not getting triggered so easily.

DaGwaphics

Probably just simply to much for Series systems to handle with two viewports running. Doesn't seem like something that would be used all that much today.

CuNi

I have friends and kids too. Sadly for me and my friends, the idea of playing around single TV with 4 or more joypads died out with 360 and if we're around a single TV, its to have a drink and watch sport
Almost everyone I know barley owns 2 pads per system, not like in the old days when we all had multiple pads per system and the kids have moved out.

I just find it as the usual excuse to bash HALO and 343.

I think we have to acknowledge that no matter the game there will always be someone trying to bash it for any reason possible. But some things, even if everyone says them, are still true. And 343i not delivering and backtracking is sadly a thing.

The failings of Infinite should have far broader repercussions, not just for 343i studio management but the Xbox leadership group.

A showing of this kind would never be accepted by either Sony or Nintendo to their most valued IP.

Naked Lunch

(Without writing a wall o text) This and a lot of the other issues with Halo Infinite really boil down to poor Project management. You can have all the resources in the world, but if they are managed poorly (ie clear directions/plans/milestones set) you get situations like this.

We probably won't know the extent of the issues until years from now (when some from the inside are able to speak about it)
From my recollection - at least 2 Infinite leads left the project mid development, im pretty sure one left after the disastrous 2020 trailer.
It seems Joe Staten is in charge now, they brought in an ex Halo bungie lead recently, - and if you watched yesterday's video that dude with the glasses has been promoted.

Basically, it sounds like the studio is in a rebuild now - as they relaunch and rebuild infinite in the process. Doesnt sound ideal but it is what it is.

Last edited:
It's a shame 343 keeps fucking up so much. The gameplay in Infinite is solid and probably one of my favorite Halo games to play, but everything around the gameplay and the way they've handled it is so disappointing.

Last edited:
I think we have to acknowledge that no matter the game there will always be someone trying to bash it for any reason possible. But some things, even if everyone says them, are still true. And 343i not delivering and backtracking is sadly a thing.
I don't mind bashing when it's justified. Deep down most would know, just from their own lives now, that sitting around a single tV playing a game in 2 or 4-player split screen is a thing of the past. Sure!, we can all tell stories of how wonderful it was playing Halo in Lan or in split-screen but that was in the past.. Hell I missed the days of drunken FIFA 96 with 8 players or drunken 12 player on Quaterback club 97 on the Saturn, but that was in the past
These days just trying to get 12 mates all around the same TV is impossible due to work and family commitments, the only time that happens now if GamesDay over Christmas or Superbowl night sadly

You only have to look at the market, hardly any of the big games support split-screen gaming anymore, even if it there in the begging. There's no demand or call for it, unless you want to bash HALO or 343 of coruse.

Last edited:

CuNi

From my recollection - at least 2 Infinite leads left the project mid development, im pretty sure one left after the disastrous 2020 trailer.
It seems Joe Staten is in charge now, they brought in an ex Halo bungie lead recently, - and if you watched yesterday's video that dude with the glasses has been promoted.

Basically, it sounds like the studio is in a rebuild now - as they relaunch and rebuild infinite in the process. Doesnt sound ideal but it is what it is.

People have to be realistic with expectations.

Even if the whole studio were to be changed, content wouldn't magically appear after a few months.

I'd say once we enter Y2 of infinite is when it'll start being interesting. If by then content doesn't start to trickle down and roadmaps at least indicate change, then I'd say the dream of infinite finally dies for me at least.

I don't mind bashing when it's justified. Deep down most would know, just from their own lives now, that sitting around a single tV playing a game in 2 or 4-player split screen is a thing of the past. Sure!, we can all tell stories of how wonderful it was playing Halo in Lan or in split-screen but that was in the past.. Hell I missed the days of drunken FIFA 96 with 8 players or drunken 12 player on Quaterback club 97 on the Saturn, but that was in the past
These days just trying to get 12 mates all around the same TV is impossible due to work and family commitments, the only time that happens now if GamesDay over Christmas or Superbowl night sadly

You only have to look at the market, hardly any of the big games support split-screen gaming anymore, even if it there in the begging. There's no demand or call for it, unless you want to bash HALO or 343 of coruse.

See i see this differently. Me and buddies meet up once every 2 weeks on a Friday to play split screen games. We're doing the halo games right now. Before that we played most of the tales of games and still have 2 left but needed a break from JRPGs.

We still need to decide and/or find what series next.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

People have to be realistic with expectations.

Even if the whole studio were to be changed, content wouldn't magically appear after a few months.

I'd say once we enter Y2 of infinite is when it'll start being interesting. If by then content doesn't start to trickle down and roadmaps at least indicate change, then I'd say the dream of infinite finally dies for me at least.
Very true. Its not going to change overnight.
Obviously they are keeping these things private but there is no denying there are personnel changes at 343 post Infinite's launch.

I still do trust that Joe Staten dude to right the ship eventually. Its seems hes been in and out of the Halo franchise for so long, he wasnt even at MS a few years ago - now hes returned, joined 343 at or post Infinite's launch, and now taken the reigns again. The dude clearly cares about Halo and has been there from the very beginning.

See i see this differently. Me and buddies meet up once every 2 weeks on a Friday to play split screen games. We're doing the halo games right now. Before that we played most of the tales of games and still have 2 left but needed a break from JRPGs.

We still need to decide and/or find what series next.

Once every 2 weeks? So much demand for split screen gaming 343 !!!

CuNi

Once every 2 weeks? So much demand for split screen gaming 343 !!!

You can say "omg so much demand if you play once every 2 weeks" but I say, we bought most of the Tales of games on Steam and the only reason we bought them was because you could couch co-op in fights.
We/I wouldn't have bought any of those games if it weren't for that.
Halo also wouldn't have gotten as much playtime if it weren't for couch co-op.
Many friends got into Halo because they played with me co-op at some point and got hooked on the gameplay, so it even helps sell games.
And just look at forums how disappointed people are that it got canceled. Yeah obviously, there is absolutely no demand for it /s.

Human Fall Flat, Gang Beasts, Overcooked, Moving out and more are many games that only exist because people like to play couch co-op.

Top Bottom