• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite's Split-Screen Co-Op Has Been Canceled

chromhound

cover.jpg
She need to go
Bttf GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

I don't get how you begin development of a HALO game without Co-op and couch co-op being a major feature. Did the leadership just think that didn't matter? Was it cost prohibited.
I thought you knew more things than I did. You really shouldn't be asking such questions. :)

AJUMP23

I thought you knew more things than I did. You really shouldn't be asking such questions. :)
I thought you would be able to realize a rhetorical question and understand the idea is meant to provoke thought about how leadership probably doesn't fully grasp many of the things that make HALO unique.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Was anybody actually looking forward to split screen co-op? We've come a long way since LAN parties. I doubt this impacts more than like 10 people. They should be focusing on fixing the online experience anyway. Not that they seem to be doing that either.

Last edited:
I dont play Halo and I am tired of it getting all the microsoft news.
My vote/ demand is to disolve this IP and divert 100percent of its funding to Doublefine.
I want Doublefine to spend half of that money documenting all their workers going on a worldwide Rollercoaster tour.
I would garner more enjoyment from that set of videos than anything with the name Halo.

I thought you would be able to realize a rhetorical question and understand the idea is meant to provoke thought about how leadership probably doesn't fully grasp many of the things that make HALO unique.
No, I thought you knew that I wouldn't know what a rhetorical question is.

But did you know what I knew that neogaf didn't know what you knew about what Sosokrates Sosokrates knew about what I didn't know and that everyone knows about xyz?

Last edited:

Banned
stop any further Halo Infinite development, disband 343i, fire every single person in managing positions that worked/had any influence on this game during early and mid development, give Halo to literally any other FPS dev studio they now own/soon will own, make a new Halo game.

for good measure maybe wreck the building the studio was located at just to make sure it's not cursed by some incompetence causing Yokai

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Can’t believe this game was GAF’s GOTY and Game Awards player choice. Fastest popped hype bubble yet.

I’m thinking that’s the problem. They can’t syncronize the work flow with that many people.
Most of them are temporal H1B workers, you can see it anywhere in MS these days. Look how long is taking them to transform control panels to the "Windows 10 ui", it's still not done in WIndows 11....

Halo 5: No split-screen co-op. The fanbase is super upset, and 343 promises that they learned thier lesson and will not happen again.

Halo Infinite: 343 cancels split screen co-op and STILL does not have online co-op almost a year into the game's lifecycle.

Does anyone else still feel like 343 deserves Halo as a franchise???

Last edited:
Was anybody actually looking forward to split screen co-op? We've come a long way since LAN parties. I doubt this impacts more than like 10 people. They should be focusing on fixing the online experience anyway. Not that they seem to be doing that either.
A lot care about it, you realize even back then online was available with Halo 2 right? And split screen was still important, there is a difference between playing with someone physically vs online and not being there. Why downgrade and have less options?

I never though we’d reach this point but now I can see MS killing halo for good. It almost feels like they are slowly removing the series funding. They will probably just replace its main shooter with something produced by ID (Doom, Quake).

Last edited:
stop any further Halo Infinite development, disband 343i, fire every single person in managing positions that worked on this game during early and mid development, give Halo to literally any other FPS dev studio they now on/soon will own, make a new Halo game.

for good measure maybe wreck the building the studio was located at just to make sure it's not cursed by some incompetence causing Yokai

Problem is the Halo expertise would be gone. Even if the expertise sucks.
I don't know the answer, but just letting 343i do its thing is clearly not the answer.

mansoor1980

stop any further Halo Infinite development, disband 343i, fire every single person in managing positions that worked/had any influence on this game during early and mid development, give Halo to literally any other FPS dev studio they now own/soon will own, make a new Halo game.

thats a little extreme isnt it?

Banned
Problem is the Halo expertise would be gone. Even if the expertise sucks.
I don't know the answer, but just letting 343i do its thing is clearly not the answer.

There's not much expertise left if we get a halo game with friendly fire turned off, removed grenade/rocket jumps and no player collision. these things alone make this game not a true Halo game as these things were pillars on which many game modes stood to work as intended.

so IMO, the Halo expertise is long gone.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Did they previously promise split screen co-op? If so then saying "actually no not doing it" is a slap in the face of everyone who bought the game expecting it (eventually) to be added.

vj27

Banned
Wait I’m so lost cuz I’m watching the 30 minute video (still watching) there talking about campaign co-op. I thought it was just going to remain in beta an not get a public launch.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Banned
Did they previously promise split screen co-op? If so then saying "actually no not doing it" is a slap in the face of everyone who bought the game expecting it (eventually) to be added.

They promised that the next Halo game will have it after Halo 5 didn't have it. They made a big show of it years ago.

giphy.gif

This is the direct result of failing upward and bloat. Unskilled people never move on to better jobs and eventually have seniority in the company. Over time they realize they can no longer produce new products because everyone is useless so the hiring starts. Unfortunately the new leadership hires like-minded unskilled people and you have a studio with 750 people, only 100 of which serve any real purpose. Of those 100, only a fraction have any input on anything but those ideas are filtered by the failures running the show.

I've said this many times, the entire management team at 343 should be let go and the IP either shelved or given to a team that knowns what to do with it and is capable of releasing a finished product. Clearly they had no idea what they were even capable of when they started this project and have under-delivered across the board and have been since the start. I enjoyed Halo Infinite but the difference between the reveal trailer and what I played was staggering. From there it was just more and more promises that never made it into the game. Infinite is also a game I'll likely not play through again where I've played the rest all multiple times.

MCC is the only thing 343i still has going for them and that's a compilation of Bungie's work. Despite being a compilation, it released absolutely broken and then took four years to become a finished product .

Either the people in charge of 343i hate their own fanbase or they're completely incompetent. Likely both.

Last edited:

Starcheif

Is Bonnie Ross fired yet? At this point I can't imagine she is not. 343 needs some leadership and new blood asap.

Fbh

Wait I’m so lost cuz I’m watching the 30 minute video (still watching) there talking about campaign co-op. I thought it was just going to remain in beta an not get a public launch.

Campaign Coop is still coming (....supposedly). It's the split screen specifically which got scrapped

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
A lot care about it, you realize even back then online was available with Halo 2 right? And split screen was still important, there is a difference between playing with someone physically vs online and not being there. Why downgrade and have less options?
Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

Iced Arcade

As long as there's online co-op. I can't imagine playing split screen in 2022 personally.

Still shouldn't have made that promise. Studio was cashing checks without an overdraft.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

To be honest, I doubt most people would even be playing split screen in 2022. Maybe I'm wrong, but the people who I coop with prefer their own tv/monitor.

Halo 5: No split-screen co-op. The fanbase is super upset, and 343 promises that they learned thier lesson and will not happen again.

Halo Infinite: 343 cancels split screen co-op and STILL does not have online co-op almost a year into the game's lifecycle.

Anyone else still feels like 343 deserves Halo as a franchise???

I wonder if the Doom team would fancy a go at making it? They couldn’t do worse surely.

Last edited:

wipeout364

I’m fine with this, they can’t support the multiplayer in a meaningful way which is what will give the game staying power. Put those resources on the multiplayer/ maps/ weapons etc.

Top Bottom