• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite's Split-Screen Co-Op Has Been Canceled

Is the level / mission select still coming or is it time to uninstall? Not interested in multiplayer.

R6Rider

Gold Member
The downplay comments are always entertaining.

Just picturing the comments in a situation that forge or online co-op is canned.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

Just use online coop…jesus
Maybe they should make that free then. It’s the least they can do after screwing over the co-op crowd this badly. I bought it discounted for $20 new at Best Buy and after this news I feel scammed even at that price as I planned to split screen with a friend.

Last edited:

Rivet

cover.jpg

Narrator : "No, she couldn't."

Where does split screen co-op rank in importance between online co-op and Forge. Both of those features now have a date. I must admit I find online play a lot more enjoyable than couch co-op but perhaps I'm in the minority of wanting an entire screen to myself.

NickFire

Just use online coop…jesus
I completely understand if he is dismayed by the news, but I don't see why anyone would consider a lan party in lieu of online. If you already have multiple consoles and TV's, why would you even consider LAN at this point? Very weird tweet IMO.

Js562

I got a series x and 3 pc for that.
Got a a series X too and 1 pc lol. It's a social thing when it's on one TV. Talking shit and all while you are next to each other. I grew up playing perfect dark and other games so I enjoy it

AREYOUOKAY?

I honestly don’t know what’s worse. 343 lying about adding in split screen or people downplaying split screen in general and claiming it’s “no big deal”. Well if you were actually alive when Halo 1 was out you would understand why and how Halo got so massive in the first place because of it. It wasn’t the first game to do it but it was one of the best at the time.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Let the super exaggerated whining begin from a 100 people, 99 of which never had any intention of play split screen, well done keyboard warriors!

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

Thats what I was thinking, even if LAN was not option you could just do standard internet co-op with the TVs near by.

SeriesS u can get for cheap so for the few people that want to do couch co-op they still can, at a price 😆

ACESHIGH

Banned
For the umpteenth time, just can Bonnie Ross.

I am starting to get worried about MS first party... if all the development studios are filled with avocado toast munching, Starbucks latte drinking commie diversity hires... Maybe this is the first of many halo infinite disasters in the making.

What happened to good ol WASP libertarian devs? You need those to get things done (or eastern European and Asian)

Banned
Thats what I was thinking, even if LAN was not option you could just do standard internet co-op with the TVs near by.

SeriesS u can get for cheap so for the few people that want to do couch co-op they still can, at a price 😆

online coop sucks, it's always paired with lag, sometimes input latency when the game tries to keep everything in sync.

But of course standards on this forum are below ground at this point, so I guess you don't care if the experience is compromised.

also online coop in the first flight they did was a bugged and laggy as hell. Infinite in general has a terrible netcode (the worst I know of currently), so online coop will most likely be a shitshow as well

Last edited:

MacReady13

Who cares? It's free on Game Pass so what is the issue? No one has to pay for it so big deal, right? This is what Game Pass is perfect for anyway. It's why I enjoy gaming so much today...

Jebron

LMFAO I'm constantly surprised with how bad of a studio 343i is. It doesn't matter how low my expectations are, I'm constantly disappointed. The only thing left to do is disband 343i and hand the franchise over to a competent studio.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah they seem to struggle a lot compared to other studios.

I actually liked the core gameplay though, and the grapple was awesome, but it’s like big chunks of the game was cut. I dropped out in late december after being bored by the samey campaign and not getting hooked on mp. 16 hours total says my Xbox app stats, more than it deserved. I had more fun playing Halo 5 which everyone seems to hate, only 9 hours played there and never touched mp but I went through and mostly enjoyed the campaign at least. 🤷‍♂️
Lol same here. Except that I played for maybe 8 hours total. i have absolutely no idea what they were trying to do with the mp. There is really nothing there. It felt like an MP game from the early 2000s. And I understand that they wanted to keep Halo pure but just not for me. I had my fill with that multiplayer back in 2004.

The campaign also bored me to death. The first few levels being indoor really sucked. I wanted to go out and explore but by the time i got there I was shocked at how barren and boring that open world was. Ive had more fun exploring freaking Far Cry open worlds. Again, keep the combat the same but adding a grappling hook simply isnt good enough in 2021. They needed a bigger reboot. This game felt a lot like Halo 1. Again, not a bad thing, but thats not what I want from a shooter in 2021.

Doczu

RIP. I always play through Halo campaigns with a buddy of mine.
I played every Halo up to Reach with my buddy. Every time it was with a 4 pack or a fat joint. Nothing can compete with coach co-op. Shit talking, small talks, goofing around.
All of you claiming "this isn't a big deal". Fuck you cause you either don't have gaming buddies or never cared.

To all of you that feel the pain:

568.jpg

Arachnid

This is something they promised since launch. Isn't that kind of sticking it to people who took their word and decided to buy and prior anyway? I feel like a promised feature that's been a staple of the series shouldn't just be cut like that.

Split-screen coop is probably a waste of time, agreed. However, the five people actually interested in this mode and the five million concern trolls who never had any interest at all but claim the opposite now will probably not like it.
Sounds like someone has no IRL friends :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Or children. Do you seriously not have anyone you'd like to just sit down on the couch with to play games? Is the concept just that alien to you, to the point were you can't imagine anyone else doing it?

Last edited:

AdamTank83

Neo Member
Split-screen coop is probably a waste of time, agreed. However, the five people actually interested in this mode and the five million concern trolls who never had any interest at all but claim the opposite now will probably not like it.
The term is speak for yourself, you don't know how many people use it. It's our fondest childhood memories, we'd rather play with someone next to us rather then someone that's gonna leave you whenever the mission heats up or just a bad time.

This game is an unmitigated disaster, and 343i are at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to competent AAA developers in the industry.

Time to reboot that entire studio, Microsoft. Starting with ousting Bonnie Ross and all the other incompetent leaders, pruning through who's still worth keeping or isn't, and if you need to take it up the chain of command far enough, get someone other than Matt Booty to manage over the studio (preferably all XGS studios).

Yeah! Imagine all the people who bought the game at retail for $60 getting less content for more money!!

Funny how reviewers are dinging TLOU Remake for having less content at a higher price, but Halo Infinite review scores aren't being adjusted in the light of even less content than the original release, and now cancelling content that everyone assumed would be in the game by now.

Modern day reviews process at work, folks 🙄

Rockondevil

Gold Member
Used to love it as a kid and I expected this to happen eventually.
The biggest problem here is 343i. This should’ve been identified long ago, before release. Terrible developer.

ROFL

It it canceled or was it never being made in the first place and they just lied to shut people up? I'm not sure which is worse honestly - dishonesty or incompetence.

RespawnX

Used to love it as a kid and I expected this to happen eventually.
The biggest problem here is 343i. This should’ve been identified long ago, before release. Terrible developer.
In my experience developers just do what management orders them to do. They're usually pretty talented people, no matter what kind of people they are. But their creativity is limited in how their resources are directed and invested.
Halo was the first game my wife and I bought and played together, guess in which iconic mode the game was associated with. This is the second one we pass or better, the developer we'll skip from now on.

DragonNCM

Clowns at 343i can't make a FUCKING co-op game of a 20y iconic franchise who was born with co-op in mind.
Thanks to the clowns in 343i for ruining my beloved Halo game

Top Bottom