• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite's Split-Screen Co-Op Has Been Canceled

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
“No one plays couch co-op, it’s like 3 people wanting this!”

Meanhwhile…
3MqTbYB.jpg

That game has online multiplayer...which I assume was much more popular (and better) than splitscreen.

Crew511A

Well, when you spend more time bragging about how diverse your team is than actually making the game, this is the natural result.

Pretty excited about that Halo cookbook though.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It doesn't make any sense to me in all honesty. They do deserve him and I'll tell you why:
  • Xbox release no first party games for the year despite having more studios and IP than any other point in their history - praise Phil, we don't deserve him.
  • He has consistently had an issue with quality control for first party games, many of which have released underpar or outright unfinished - praise Phil, we don't deserve him.
  • Their flagship studio 343i have fumbled their last 2 releases, both under his management - praise Phil...
Need I go on? He gets a pass because he spends time on twitter engaging with fans, is a PR monster (literally he should be a case study, there's much to be admired here from a corporate perspective) and saves people a few buck with gamepass (while they are duped in to needing to subscribe for life and having nothing to show for it).

So many people have a habit of counting their chickens when it comes to him delivering on his promises when it comes to games, it's even happening with the Activision Blizzard acquisition before it's even closed and guaranteed. He's the ultimate hype man. As a result he has no pressure to deliver because he's loved by his fans. If they fired him (which there's a strong argument for being the correct decision) then his fans would riot.

So my stance on it is this - if and when they release a game I 100% want to play then ill purchase it on steam for a 1 time fee. If they release something I'm on the fence about then I'll pick up a single month of gamepass (but only when it comes out, not before... Not falling for that one again). If I don't like it enough to pay for it then no harm done, sub lapses. If I do like it enough to pay for it then I'll do so and the sub lapses. Everything else is just noise, my backlog is big enough and I can only play one thing at a time.
Yeah. It's really weird. I dont see the same thing with Jim Ryan on the other side. Everyone fucking hates his guts lol and he has released like 4 exclusives a year every year since 2020. Now some of them are cross gen but I bet Jimbo is like wtf more do I have to do to be treated like a rockstar like this guy.

Gamepass is weird. I have had gamepass since April 2018 on and off for what 4.5 years now? I have not beaten a single game on the service other than Hades. It's not that I dont think the service is good, I just dont think the games the day one games they are putting on there are worth playing to the end. Or like you said, something I would rush to the store and buy day one. And I know other people have obviously found more value in it and thats why they keep subcribing over and over again, but for me, I look at the last 24 months and I am looking at 1 next gen game (Flight Sim) and 2 AAA exclusives (Forza and Halo). So $180 per year * 2 = $360. Or roughy 2 AAA day one games for the price of 6 if you decided to sub for 2 years at the start of the gen. It's great that they have games like Avengers and Guardians that I can play but those need to be day one games not for me, but for the people who have subbed for the full year or multiple years. Otherwise you are just rewarding hacks like me who sub for a dollar every few months for one game.

The next year looks way better for day one AAA games, but I really struggle to see why he gets a pass for his output. Remember, 2020 was much like 2022. He released nothing that year.

Gamerguy84

Not an xbox gamer obviously but split screen was big a long time ago, not so much anymore. 2 percent of players might use it. Not a big deal.

FUBARx89

Who honestly plays couch co-op these days? I haven't played a single Halo game on co-op with a buddy on the couch. Hell. I haven't played couch co-op on any game since I was a teenager.

Most people if a peasent like myself for Halo synced up on the original xbox using xbmc to do campaign or verses online in our own houses, then xbox live on the 360 after the dropped the credit card shit.

Seems blown out of proportion, as usual these days, ffs, if it really matters that much. Do it like old school lan parties. Take a console and fuck off round your friends. It's not rocket science. Everyone has a spare TV.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Doesn't change the negative attitude you have in PlayStation threads, dude. You are an Xbox guy and that is fine, but you have no business calling out others for trolling.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live
No more a troll than you.

GHG

Gold Member
Yeah. It's really weird. I dont see the same thing with Jim Ryan on the other side. Everyone fucking hates his guts lol and he has released like 4 exclusives a year every year since 2020. Now some of them are cross gen but I bet Jimbo is like wtf more do I have to do to be treated like a rockstar like this guy.

Gamepass is weird. I have had gamepass since April 2018 on and off for what 4.5 years now? I have not beaten a single game on the service other than Hades. It's not that I dont think the service is good, I just dont think the games the day one games they are putting on there are worth playing to the end. Or like you said, something I would rush to the store and buy day one. And I know other people have obviously found more value in it and thats why they keep subcribing over and over again, but for me, I look at the last 24 months and I am looking at 1 next gen game (Flight Sim) and 2 AAA exclusives (Forza and Halo). So $180 per year * 2 = $360. Or roughy 2 AAA day one games for the price of 6 if you decided to sub for 2 years at the start of the gen. It's great that they have games like Avengers and Guardians that I can play but those need to be day one games not for me, but for the people who have subbed for the full year or multiple years. Otherwise you are just rewarding hacks like me who sub for a dollar every few months for one game.

The next year looks way better for day one AAA games, but I really struggle to see why he gets a pass for his output. Remember, 2020 was much like 2022. He released nothing that year.

Jim Ryan is a funny one. He could do with going on whatever PR course Phil goes on. He could also work on his image but I don't think he cares (clearly). The thing is, Japanese companies tend to be understated, they are not as in your face with their marketing/messaging so Jim Ryan becoming a master antagonistic spin doctor isn't something that will happen any time soon. Although it would be funny to see happen if not for a monent.

If anything he's too honest. He's unapologeticly a business first man and he's not afraid to let everyone know. That will rub some people the wrong way but personally as long as they continue to pump out top tier quality games that I enjoy playing year after year then I couldn't give a shit. The rest is just noise.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Jim Ryan is a funny one. He could do with going on whatever PR course Phil goes on. He could also work on his image but I don't think he cares (clearly). The thing is, Japanese companies tend to be understated, they are not as in your face with their marketing/messaging so Jim Ryan becoming a master antagonistic spin doctor isn't something that will happen any time soon. Although it would be funny to see happen if not for a monent.

If anything he's too honest. He's unapologeticly a business first man and he's not afraid to let everyone know. That will rub some people the wrong way but personally as long as they continue to pump out top tier quality games that I enjoy playing year after year then I couldn't give a shit. The rest is just noise.

Donald Trump GIF by CBS News

But just enough to post this gif.

• Empathy
Reactions: GHG

Jormatar

Another month another failure by 343. At this point I'm not even sure if they are the only one to blame here. Microsoft should recognize better when things aren't working out with their studios and projects get delayed all the time and fans getting let down. They should have recognized way earlier that splitscreen co-op is a no go. I wonder how many hours and manpower they wasted on that.

the_master

“In order to improve and accelerate ongoing live service development, and to better address player feedback and quality of life updates,”

They do really need to accelerate cause now the speed is just zero.

Player feedback was to deliver coop at launch, and if not, asap.

This is infuriating. They did promise this feature and we where waiting for it.

What is happening at 343i? I want to read the post mortem

Sosokrates

Another month another failure by 343. At this point I'm not even sure if they are the only one to blame here. Microsoft should recognize better when things aren't working out with their studios and projects get delayed all the time and fans getting let down. They should have recognized way earlier that splitscreen co-op is a no go. I wonder how many hours and manpower they wasted on that.

hyperbole like this Is getting rather grating.

Last edited:
That's complete horse shit. Couch coop may not be as popular as it used to be but it's one of those core features that made Halo what it was for so many people.

343i are such a shitty studio. Microsoft need to grow some balls to hand this IP over to someone else.
Not to mention this already caused a big controversy with Halo 5 and 343 "promised" to include it in the next Halo. This isn't just for 343 but we can't trust anything that any developer promises these days. Seen so many lies and broken promises in the last 5-10 years

Sosokrates

Not to mention this already caused a big controversy with Halo 5 and 343 "promised" to include it in the next Halo. This isn't just for 343 but we can't trust anything that any developer promises these days. Seen so many lies and broken promises in the last 5-10 years
Then don't play it ... Infinite clearly is not the game for you

The same posters are so outraged by 343 decisions yet they still come into these threads to say how bad they think it is, you would think these people would move on.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Split-screen coop is probably a waste of time, agreed. However, the five people actually interested in this mode and the five million concern trolls who never had any interest at all but claim the opposite now will probably not like it.

For a lot of people the split screen co op is what made Halo back in the day, and they promised it. I even remember one poster here who said he would wait for it to play the campaign.

Shipping an incomplete game and then cutting promised features that were de facto standard in the old versions reflects much worse on them than so-called "concern trolls".

In any case, simple fact is 343 has no reputation. No matter what they say at this point, who cares? It's all a joke anyway. I don't think it's going to happen, but the only way I ever pay attention to new Halo games again is completely new management. That means a new studio or they clean house at 343.

Good news tbh

Couch coop needs to die

What a shit take.

Forget those families playing together and kids with friends that come over and game.

Fuck having latency free gaming at home too right? Back to carrying around your TV, xbox and accessories around.

Screw those in countries with lesser or inaccessible internet access also. Who needs em?

Shit take is shit mate.

BlackTron

I'm completely guessing but I'm willing to bet that releasing Halo multiplayer for free was a giant disaster monetarily, and they are making the business decision to not pour anymore money down that drain.

That's cool and all, except they released a game, some people paid full price for it, some people signed onto GP for it, some people bought a console for it, and they made promises about the features in that game, nothing crazy just same shit that was in Halo 1, and now as the dust is settling Microsoft of all companies has to pinch pennies and cut the feature.

FUCK. OFF.

That's cool and all, except they released a game, some people paid full price for it, some people signed onto GP for it, some people bought a console for it, and they made promises about the features in that game, nothing crazy just same shit that was in Halo 1, and now as the dust is settling Microsoft of all companies has to pinch pennies and cut the feature.

FUCK. OFF.

No need to get angry at a petty console warrior, mate. They have no ground to stand on and will defend anything these companies do. They have zero spine or critical thinking of their own.

BlackTron

No need to get angry at a petty console warrior, mate. They have no ground to stand on and will defend anything these companies do. They have zero spine or critical thinking of their own.

My "fuck off" was directed towards MS/343. The poster I was replying to simply mused that maybe the reason for this change was monetary; I don't necessarily think he was a console warrior presenting that as an "excuse".

BlackTron

Then don't play it ... Infinite clearly is not the game for you

The same posters are so outraged by 343 decisions yet they still come into these threads to say how bad they think it is, you would think these people would move on.

Unless you decided to move on before you bought the game, LOL.

i really like Halo Infinite but this is a joke. I know not many people bother with split screen co op these days so it's not a priority but how hard must it be to make it?

Microsoft should shut down or at least gut out 343 and start over again. Reboot the entire Halo series. What a bloody mess. Halo deserves better.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The irony of your statements isn’t lost. Take a break from the thread and use some introspection.
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

The things people make themselves believe.
I know for a fact you and Toadstool don't game on Xbox. GTFO with your pathetic rhetoric. You are a sad individual who equates self esteem with a plastic box, and I feel sorry for you.

Top Bottom