• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo is here to stay.

Hugare

Seems like everything Xbox has been doing lately is just talk, from Spencer to 343

All promisses, while delivering shit

I want them to succeed because competition is good for the industry. But they should just stop talking and start releasing some great stuff.

It's getting pretty ridiculous. Its disrespectful to their fans.

343 getting another chance after failing so much is something else

Watching you haters go from "there needs to be a major shakeup at 343" to "Halo is officially dead after the major 343 shakeup" was funny as hell.

What's funnier was watching Sony guys fantasize about the Halo ip belonging to Playstation though.
I mean Killzone and Resistance ACTUALLY DIED (for real) on Sonys watch...yet I can't recall any Xbox guys ever calling for Sony to "just sell the ip's to Microsoft."
Yall never wanted Halo dead, you just wanted it on Playstation.

And lol @ people saying the fact that 343 swiftly responded to all the bullshit FUD spreading like wildfire on Twitter "says alot about how bad things are."
I wouldn't let people lie about the future of my small business online, much less about a billion dollar franchise. Are you people stupid?

Seems like everything Xbox has been doing lately is just talk, from Spencer to 343

I want them to succeed because competition is good for the industry. But they should just stop talking and start releasing some great stuff.

They are the best snake oil salesman in the business. All they do is hype everything up and never deliver.

I’m pretty sure that if they don’t deliver this year Phil and the Xbox brand will be in serious trouble.

Jaybe

“Epic stories”

Sure Jan GIF

I just finished Infinite a few days ago and thought it was pretty good overall gameplay wise. The only things I didn’t like about the campaign were to indoors sections being too repetitive, and the final boss was a terrible “fight three waves of enemies while I fuck off” deal.

But it’s all the smaller detail stuff they can’t get right. You can only play as Spartans, no Elites. They keep changing things up with multiplayer, though at least they’ve gotten a bit better. Halo 4’s MP sucked, 5’s was pretty good, and Infinite’s was better.

The story of the games is just all over the place and nothing has any narrative weight to it. All the villains can’t be built up because they just die in one game or off screen in some unessesary multi-media piece. There’s mostly no tension between games story wise because of this. The only cliffhanger there was was Cortana being set up to be the threat after 5, and then that goes no where and gets resolved off screen.

The Bungie games felt more realistic in terms of war because each game had you picking off certain minor villains and assets of the main villains until 3 when the Covenent and Gravemind were finally dealt with. It felt like things were naturally and narratively being escalated and resolved. It’s basic stuff 343 just couldn’t get right.

If anything they need to get some decent story writers and make a definitive timeline for a story for however many games they plan to make. As it is their games play well enough and “look cool,” but nothing sticks with the player because it’s hard to get invested in what’s at stake when it’s just all over the place.

We already have MCC, re releasing it on all platforms is almost as bad as the rest of your "ideas"

Im also disappointed that Hollywood for some reason is disappointed with Infinite. Bummer.
What a sad, horrific, disguised port beg post.
The MCC has been going strong for 8+(!) years you goof.
Actually it wasn’t. Halo infinite is
What a sad, horrific, disguised port beg post.
The MCC has been going strong for 8+(!) years you goof.
Actually it wasn’ta port beg. I’m aware of the MCC. Another bad launch by 343. It got fixed but took years.

So the Halo Infinite is bad.
Halo tv show is BAD. (If you do the research, the game and TV show were originally Supposed to launch close together.)

Most people under the age of 25, don’t even think of Halo as a top game. Let alone a mascot or system selling game. If you post on this forum you aren’t a casual gamer. This is the audience they must be reintroduced to Halo.

Not that it matters but I consult for a living, and this is what I would do to build “good will” for the franchise. And hopefully allow the TV show to reboot as well, which I believe that is what I read they are doing.

You can disagree. That’s fine. Halo is in a BAD place. This isn’t in dispute. I heard some podcasters saying Halo needed return to hard “mature” rating and shock people. This is just the wrong strategy imo. You need a “low cost” and “positive” way to introduce new consumers to Halo. Also allowing 343 to regroup with new leadership and vision for Halo franchise.

Letting Sony fans play Halo, Nintendo and Steam Deck would be a low cost, positive experience.

Since MS desperately wants the Activision deal to be approved by the FTC. Throwing Sony Halo trilogy might be enough of a distraction to show the FTC that MS is trying to play nice with Sony as well and build some good will.

Sorry for the pun…but…kill two birds with the old Master Chief.

—————————————————-

MS has had a disastrous launch of the Xbox series until now. Truly horrendous. Xbox One levels of bad. I wasn’t advocating releasing all Halos. Just the original trilogy to build the good will and interest in the franchise.

I saw a report that Sony wants the 10+ year COD commitment and Bethesda games added as well, if the Activision acquisition goes through.

If I were MS I would rather give them the old Halo’s. Under no circumstance do I want Sony to get Starfield, the next Elder Scrolls, (to a lesser extent) the next Fallout.

Halo 1-3 won’t sell systems. But they can build goodwill. Starfield and Elder Scrolls will sell systems and Gamepass subs. Another reason to consider what I said.

Last edited:
It's fine to compare them, but if a sequel isn't as good as its predecessor, it doesn't mean it's a bad game nor does it mean the next one will be bad. Just look at series like Tomb Raider for a perfect example.

And to be fair, Halo 1-3 was great but when you go back and replay it now you realize they have significant flaws too.
Nowhere near the flaws, 343 games have. Remind me again how is Halo Infinite doing again?

clarky

Gold Member
Actually it wasn’ta port beg. I’m aware of the MCC. Another bad launch by 343. It got fixed but took years.

Halo tv show is BAD. (If you do the research, the game and TV show were originally Supposed to launch close together.)

Most people under the age of 25, don’t even think of Halo as a top game. Let alone a mascot or system selling game. If you post on this forum you aren’t a casual gamer. This is the audience they must be reintroduced to Halo.

Not that it matters but I consult for a living, and this is what I would do to build “good will” for the franchise. And hopefully allow the TV show to reboot as well, which I believe that is what I read they are doing.

You can disagree. That’s fine. Halo is in a BAD place. This isn’t in dispute. I heard some podcasters saying Halo needed return to hard “mature” rating and shock people. This is just the wrong strategy imo. You need a “low cost” and “positive” way to introduce new consumers to Halo. Also allowing 343 to regroup with new leadership and vision for Halo franchise.

Letting Sony fans play Halo, Nintendo and Steam Deck would be a low cost, positive experience.

Since MS desperately wants the Activision deal to be approved by the FTC. Throwing Sony Halo trilogy might be enough of a distraction to show the FTC that MS is trying to play nice with Sony as well and build some good will.

Sorry for the pun…but…kill two birds with the old Master Chief.

—————————————————-

MS has had a disastrous launch of the Xbox series until now. Truly horrendous. Xbox One levels of bad. I wasn’t advocating releasing all Halos. Just the original trilogy to build the good will and interest in the franchise.

I saw a report that Sony wants the 10+ year COD commitment and Bethesda games added as well, if the Activision acquisition goes through.

If I were MS I would rather give them the old Halo’s. Under no circumstance do I want Sony to get Starfield, the next Elder Scrolls, (to a lesser extent) the next Fallout.

Halo 1-3 won’t sell systems. But they can build goodwill. Starfield and Elder Scrolls will sell systems and Gamepass subs. Another reason to consider what I said.
Sorry thats complete drivel.

Sorry thats complete drivel.
It really isn’t. Truthfully. You might not like the answer. But it isn’t drivel.

I don’t expect this to happen. Maybe if Master Chief is in the next Smash.

It was my opinion, and what I would recommend to MS.

I actually think MS pivots and wants nothing to do with Halo for a while 8-10 years most likely.

MS will put all its eggs in the Starfield, COD, Guitar hero, and Warcraft basket going forward I have no doubt.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Nowhere near the flaws, 343 games have. Remind me again how is Halo Infinite doing again?

The multiplayer didn't live up to expectations but 20 million people touched the game and the average metascore was 87. Hardly a massive flop that sucked that you are implying. Your just proving my point.

The multiplayer didn't live up to expectations but 20 million people touched the game and the average metascore was 87. Hardly a massive flop that sucked that you are implying. Your just proving my point.
You can’talways go by meta score. A lot of those reviews are high to get advertising money from MS. Nintendo and Sony are the same way.

Not every 1st party game released by Sony, MS, and Nintendo are really a 80 or better. Yet their Metascore always says that. Some of those reviews are heavily influenced.

I haven’t tried it since launch. IMO, it was no where near an 89 metacritic at launch.

You more what would be an interesting stat.

Is Halo Infinite or MCC, or any Halo in the top 25 Gamepass games played currently?

I would be curious. I’m going to guess…if any are, they are closer to the 25 then the top of the charts.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Like I said, you're trying too hard. Halo is still a very big deal. It's popularity on Xbox says so, it's popularity on Game Pass says so And despite the best wishes of people who do not like Halo, the games aren't going anywhere and neither is the studio responsible which has never made a single bad game yet regardless of many very bogus claims about the quality of the studio. We will likely get more stories in the Halo Universe in the form of games in different genres or just games with a different focus or with major development help from another studio like what has happened with Gears of War on 3 separate occasions. Epic partnered with People can Fly on Judgment, gave

Hell, a combination of 20 game studios and development partners helped with Halo Infinite. Certain Affinity was a development partner on both Halo 4 and Halo Infinite. So it seems to me a lot of people are trying to make a big fuss over things that have basically already been going on in some form or another for years.

Nobody cares how we got great games in the Halo Universe, just so long as we keep getting great games in the Halo Universe and more Master Chief-focused stories.
My god, you are in your own little universe if you genuinely think 343i has been providing great Halo games. There is being a fanboy and then there is being... you.

Mate, I think there are a lot more casual gamers on GAF that you seem to think. Just look at any recent Sony Thread that praise games like GoW:Ragnarok and TLoU2 as being "best in the business" with "best TPS gameplay" or "best soundtrack" and other idiotic shit. Clearly from folks who have played very little games and are easily tricked by smoke and mirrors (y'know, the casual audience).

Not really. What they need to do is stop trying to treat the fanbase like drooling morons. For every SenjutsuSage who would gobble anything MS tosses their way, there are 99 normal individuals who see the greedy business practices and avoid these games for the terrible way they treat their player base.

Get rid of the MTX. Get rid of the GAAS design. Focus and build a game like they used to back in the day. Great MP, Great SP, Great co-op. Don't try to upsell a bad Campaign for 60 dollars with no co-op, make excuses for terrible MTX because "Oh MP is free now!" (which only weakens the overall package), and make initial promises that co-op is on the way and then fail to deliver it with more excuses on how hard it is to make it work.

This idea that the deal won't go through needs to end. It will, it just takes time for any major buyout. Look at FOX and Disney. Took over a year. They don't need to port their flagship IP to another platform. They just need to make a decent fucking game for their flagship IP. 343i is utterly incapable of doing that.

Last edited:

Is Halo Infinite or MCC, or any Halo in the top 25 Gamepass games played currently?

I would be curious. I’m going to guess…if any are, they are closer to the 25 then the top of the charts.
No idea now reliable this is but per this chart it’s the 15th most active Xbox game.

Kacho

Gold Member
One thing I’ve learned in my time here is rumors gain a lot of traction and explode on these forums.
NeoGAF wasn’t always like that. Rumors from unknown sources and data from VGShartz were frowned upon. Threads would get locked immediately. Now there’s a lot more leeway and it reflects negatively on this site IMO.

My god, you are in your own little universe if you genuinely think 343i has been providing great Halo games. There is being a fanboy and then there is being... you.

Mate, I think there are a lot more casual gamers on GAF that you seem to think. Just look at any recent Sony Thread that praise games like GoW:Ragnarok and TLoU2 as being "best in the business" with "best TPS gameplay" or "best soundtrack" and other idiotic shit. Clearly from folks who have played very little games and are easily tricked by smoke and mirrors (y'know, the casual audience).

Not really. What they need to do is stop trying to treat the fanbase like drooling morons. For every SenjutsuSage who would gobble anything MS tosses their way, there are 99 normal individuals who see the greedy business practices and avoid these games for the terrible way they treat their player base.

Get rid of the MTX. Get rid of the GAAS design. Focus and build a game like they used to back in the day. Great MP, Great SP, Great co-op. Don't try to upsell a bad Campaign for 60 dollars with no co-op, make excuses for terrible MTX because "Oh MP is free now!" (which only weakens the overall package), and make initial promises that co-op is on the way and then fail to deliver it with more excuses on how hard it is to make it work.

This idea that the deal won't go through needs to end. It will, it just takes time for any major buyout. Look at FOX and Disney. Took over a year. They don't need to port their flagship IP to another platform. They just need to make a decent fucking game for their flagship IP. 343i is utterly incapable of doing that.
This right here is where our disagreement lies.

You called Halo their Flagship. I would argue the the activision deal closes…Halo is not even a top 5 series on Xbox.

Starfield, elder scrolls, WoW, COD, Guitar hero, maybe even Fallout or Overwatch.

I get that you’re passionate about Xbox and halo clearly. That’s cool. I’m just talking business. I view it as a dying franchise currently. I really liked Halo 1&2 back in college. OG Xbox is my favorite console of all time… But time moves on.

MS has fumbled halo for a decade now.
The way I outlined is the only way I see to pick it up again. As more first party titles release, Halo will fall farther and farther behind and become more and more of an afterthought.

I’m not advocating only Xbox do this. I think Sony& Nintendo have certain franchises that should do this as well. But our conversation is directed at the Halo franchise.

So I guess like on all Internet forums we have to agree to disagree. Enjoy your weekend!

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Well you’re wrong again lol. Start GamePass, go to Most Popular, current list is:
- Minecraft
- FH5
- Rainboz Six Siege
- Fifa
- FH4
- Halo Infinite
- MH Rise
- Sea of Thieves
- Ark
- Madden

K-Pop GIF

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This right here is where our disagreement lies.

You called Halo their Flagship. I would argue the the activision deal closes…Halo is not even a top 5 series on Xbox.

Starfield, elder scrolls, WoW, COD, Guitar hero, maybe even Fallout or Overwatch.

I get that you’re passionate about Xbox and halo clearly. That’s cool. I’m just talking business. I view it as a dying franchise currently. I really liked Halo 1&2 back in college. OG Xbox is my favorite console of all time… But time moves on.

MS has fumbled halo for a decade now.
The way I outlined is the only way I see to pick it up again. As more first party titles release, Halo will fall farther and farther behind and become more and more of an afterthought.

I’m not advocating only Xbox do this. I think Sony& Nintendo have certain franchises that should do this as well. But our conversation is directed at the Halo franchise.

So I guess like on all Internet forums we have to agree to disagree. Enjoy your weekend!

Halo made Xbox what it is. Without Halo, Xbox would, arguably, not be around today. When they place the character on the literal chipsets of every console they release (At least during the Xbox One X), then yes. The franchise is absolutely the flagship of the platform and it is what most people think when they hear the word "Xbox".

Halo made Xbox what it is. Without Halo, Xbox would, arguably, not be around today. When they place the character on the literal chipsets of every console they release (At least during the Xbox One X), then yes. The franchise is absolutely the flagship of the platform and it is what most people think when they hear the word "Xbox".
I agree it made Xbox what it was. It is not that anymore. Which is sad. That is the past.

343 and MS tried and failed miserably. Honestly the sad truth. Phil Spencer should have walked into 343 like Elon Musk walking into twitter carrying a kitchen sink and fired every single department head at 343 that had direct involvement in the planning of the new Halo. I’ve been being polite. It was a catastrophic release that set the company and platform back years. Halo has become an internet meme and punchline. Truly it is sad. I feel terrible for those employees who lost their jobs recently at 343. The game should have never been allowed to get that bad from “Alpha”. They should have known better. Inexcusable.

People don’t think of Halo when you say Xbox to younger gamers today. They think Minecraft, Roblox, Forza Horizon, Gamepass, etc. soon it will be COD!

Kids are like “what is halo?”

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

343i fell from the days when fans would send them pizza.
Remember those days.

Now all they get is hate because of poor game direction and upper management issues.
Halo 5 is what killed the Halo franchise for me personally. The story is shit. The TV show isn't faithful to to the franchise, even The Last of Us has a better adaptation.
Microsoft needs to learn.
They knew it was shit going in. That's why they prefaced it months out as the continuity being from a different universe.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I agree it made Xbox what it was. It is not that anymore. Which is sad. That is the past.

343 and MS tried and failed miserably. Honestly the sad truth. Phil Spencer should have walked into 343 like Elon Musk walking into twitter carrying a kitchen sink and fired every single department head at 343 that had direct involvement in the planning of the new Halo. I’ve been being polite. It was a catastrophic release that set the company and platform back years. Halo has become an internet meme and punchline. Truly it is sad. I feel terrible for those employees who lost their jobs recently at 343. The game should have never been allowed to get that bad from “Alpha”. They should have known better. Inexcusable.

People don’t think of Halo when you say Xbox to younger gamers today. They think Minecraft, Roblox, Forza Horizon, Gamepass, etc. soon it will be COD!

Kids are like “what is halo?”

The issue is that MS Didn't try. They were completely hands off and let 343i continue to show their incompetence release after release. But given Phil Spencer who makes excuse after excuse and empty promise after empty promise, I didn't have much faith we would see any effort put into the franchise again.

CoD is certainly more popular these days than Halo - but people don't associate it with Xbox. I can't talk about what younger generations say on what they think of when Xbox is brought up, as I don't make it a habit to talk to children, but most young adults (18-25) still refer to Xbox as being the Halo platform first and foremost.

vj27

Banned
Guessing what's to come isn't stating the "obvious" though. The fact that 343 has to issue a statement saying "Halo is here to stay" tells me the general consensus is confusion as to what the state of Halo really is. It has been that way for a while and it is only going to get worse.

It isn't "just NeoGAF". And no, Infinite is not "objectively" great. If you think Infinite is great then that is your opinion and that's fine. I think it is a good, not great game, but I want them to finish the story and flesh out the open world a bit more.
9cRKNAL.png

It even won the game of the year on gaf too lol. No amount of alternate history will make this a bad game or even a mediocre one, because it never was. We all know it’s problems, but the game and gameplay itself isn’t one of them. It’s content, point-blank-period. That’s it. It’s objectively a good, great, cool, whatever tf you wanna call it game lol.

Idrc that you have an opinion, everyone does. But by gaming standards, it’s a great game. Just a terrible LIVE SERVICE game. If it came out today with forge, co-op campaign, and the new maps and modes it has today. It’d probably go up like 2-3 points, it’s the foundation that made it good in the first place, which is again, the gameplay. That’s what made everyone rave about it was the gameplay, cuz that kinda matters in a fps game if you didn’t know. It was modernized halo, even bungie struggled to achieve that with reach (even though I loved it, bloom n all) mp wise. Don’t think anyone gives 343 credit for doing that, because it’s an arena shooter it’s inherently old school but infinite made it fresh and new-ish.

I also agree I wish the campaign had different biomes or something and more vehicle centric missions. I’m just saying objectively because some people are acting like the game was hated from day 1. Because it wasn’t. We all got mad for the lack of shit that came AFTER, an also no team slayer playlist, that was dumb as hell.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You can’talways go by meta score. A lot of those reviews are high to get advertising money from MS. Nintendo and Sony are the same way.

Not every 1st party game released by Sony, MS, and Nintendo are really a 80 or better. Yet their Metascore always says that. Some of those reviews are heavily influenced.

I haven’t tried it since launch. IMO, it was no where near an 89 metacritic at launch.

You can debate the above, the fact is many professional and private reviewers gave the game a very good score. The overall consumer scores (thousands) were very good as well, the online and winning babies who gave it zero scores dragged it down a bit.

Intelligent reviews like this and it's still a 7.9 user score.....

aloimoradii
Dec 9, 2021
gunplay is outdated. story is bad. characters are unlikable. i'd give it a 0/10

OnlyOneHere
Dec 9, 2021
This game is one big steaming pile of garbage. The greedy developers are giving us an incomplete game for $60. The co-op is coming out next… Expand

jordonmoli7
Dec 9, 2021
one of worst shooter games i've ever played. shooting mechanic feels outdated and it's not satisfying

Last edited:

RPS37

I’m having a really good time in Infinite Multiplayer lately, I’ve seen some really cool videos of what people are doing with Forge and fully believe 343 is capable of righting the ship in due time.

9cRKNAL.png

It even won the game of the year on gaf too lol. No amount of alternate history will make this a bad game or even a mediocre one, because it never was. We all know it’s problems, but the game and gameplay itself isn’t one of them. It’s content, point-blank-period. That’s it. It’s objectively a good, great, cool, whatever tf you wanna call it game lol.

Idrc that you have an opinion, everyone does. But by gaming standards, it’s a great game. Just a terrible LIVE SERVICE game. If it came out today with forge, co-op campaign, and the new maps and modes it has today. It’d probably go up like 2-3 points, it’s the foundation that made it good in the first place, which is again, the gameplay. That’s what made everyone rave about it was the gameplay, cuz that kinda matters in a fps game if you didn’t know. It was modernized halo, even bungie struggled to achieve that with reach (even though I loved it, bloom n all) mp wise. Don’t think anyone gives 343 credit for doing that, because it’s an arena shooter it’s inherently old school but infinite made it fresh and new-ish.

I also agree I wish the campaign had different biomes or something and more vehicle centric missions. I’m just saying objectively because some people are acting like the game was hated from day 1. Because it wasn’t. We all got mad for the lack of shit that came AFTER, an also no team slayer playlist, that was dumb as hell.
All the 343 halo games have been great.
LK3GtpW.png
KY7g7I1.png

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
9cRKNAL.png

As I have always said. Anyone who tries to use GotY/MetaCritic/Opencritic (or any similar service) as any metric is a console warrior or someone who desperately needs validation of their own purchase decisions.

Last edited:
As I have always said. Anyone who tries to use GotY/MetaCritic/Opencritic (or any similar service) as any metric is a console warrior or someone who desperately needs validation of their own purchase decisions.

It’s a decent tool to look at the overall critical reception of a game. Meta critic + sales is generally a decent baseline indication of how well a game was received.

There's too much to play on xbox. Xbox won publisher of the year just a little over a year ago. There's just even more on game pass. As an xbox fan I don't feel like there's ever been a lack of things to play. The future is looking too good right now. Stalker 2, Lies of P, and Atomic Heart coming up. Starfield Forza Motorsport and Redfall around the corner. Talk to actual xbox fans next time.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It’s a decent tool to look at the overall critical reception of a game. Meta critic + sales is generally a decent baseline indication of how well a game was received.

Given the ease of brigading on both critic sides (paid reviews, letting political bias get in the way) and user reviews (spamming of positive and negative reviews with zero repercussion)? No. It never has been and never will be. Sales are usually a better indicator, but even now that is getting murky with how inflated they can be due to adding deep sales to the total, subscription numbers, etc.

Given the ease of brigading on both critic sides (paid reviews, letting political bias get in the way) and user reviews (spamming of positive and negative reviews with zero repercussion)? No. It never has been and never will be. Sales are usually a better indicator, but even now that is getting murky with how inflated they can be due to adding deep sales to the total, subscription numbers, etc.
I don’t agree with you. We can leave it there.

Topher

Gold Member

Misusing metacritic scores and GOTY like you are doing is just a bad take. As is pretending any of this is makes a game "objectively great". If you want to say the game reviewed well then fine, but reviews are tools used by those who are deciding what games to play. I played Halo Infinite fully. I don't need a metacritic score to form my own opinion. And nothing you've said negates anyone else's opinion so what good is any of it? Just a defense mechanism? I don't get it.

the_master

Metacritic and Open Critic are metrics used by most developers to measure one aspect of success, the one related to overall quality.

I am a bit surprised by the fame of Halo Inifnite today I will leave what I think is the truth:
- Halo Infinite is a GREAT game
- Halo Infinite is not as good as it should be, it has many flaws
- Halo Infinite was supposed to be the platform for the next 10 years of Halo but it was not built to do that so it FAILED completely in that regard. It should have delivered a few campaign adventures, coop, coop modes, and much multiplayer content
- Halo Infinite Campaign has great gameplay, the most important element of any game. Yet, it should be a bit better in few areas

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don’t agree with you. We can leave it there.
Ok? Doesn't change the facts.

Metacritic and Open Critic are metrics used by most developers to measure one aspect of success, the one related to overall quality.
Not true. It is publishers that measure the success based on these parameters and developers have often been outspoken in how nonsensical they are for the reasons I stated above. Especially when those same publishers tie bonuses and funding to those numbers.

Misusing metacritic scores and GOTY like you are doing is just a bad take. As is pretending any of this is makes a game "objectively great". If you want to say the game reviewed well then fine, but reviews are tools used by those who are deciding what games to play. I played Halo Infinite fully. I don't need a metacritic score to form my own opinion. And nothing you've said negates anyone else's opinion so what good is any of it? Just a defense mechanism? I don't get it.
This. People need to start doing this. Come up with your own opinions instead of running to Metacritic/OpenCritic/GotY like that is some definitive evidence of your viewpoint being true.

You can't interpret these any other way. Everything I stated was a fact at the most basic definition of the term.
It’s a tool, one of many that can be used to generate a picture of how a game was received critically. A tool that can be used in conjunction with others to assist arriving at a conclusion. You believe it’s worthless for the reasons you mentioned. I believe it’s not worthless and works well in conjunction with additional info. I think we can live with that. I can, anyway.

Like I said, you're trying too hard. Halo is still a very big deal. It's popularity on Xbox says so, it's popularity on Game Pass says so And despite the best wishes of people who do not like Halo, the games aren't going anywhere and neither is the studio responsible which has never made a single bad game yet regardless of many very bogus claims about the quality of the studio.

I don't want the series to go anywhere, man. But the truth is it's popularity has waned even on Xbox, let alone PC where concurrent numbers are extremely low for an IP of this historical stature. And it's debatable they've never made a "bad" game because if lots of hardcore Halo pros had no issues with Infinite, they would still be playing it and featuring it as a core part of their channel content.

We will likely get more stories in the Halo Universe in the form of games in different genres or just games with a different focus or with major development help from another studio like what has happened with Gears of War on 3 separate occasions. Epic partnered with People can Fly on Judgment, gave up IP to Coalition and Xbox. Splash Damage helped build Gears Tactics with Coalition. So it has been done before.

Right; you're not saying anything I object to, here. It's basically what I was saying. I think the difference here is that I'm more insistent on stating 343i's reduced role in these new dynamics from a creative leading POV than you are, and that's fine.

Hell, a combination of 20 game studios and development partners helped with Halo Infinite.

I somewhat get the impression this is worst in terms of optics than it initially lets on. Do you really need that many studios helping on a single game if just 1 or 2 have things under control?

Certain Affinity was a development partner on both Halo 4 and Halo Infinite. So it seems to me a lot of people are trying to make a big fuss over things that have basically already been going on in some form or another for years.

Right. But the difference here is that, IMO, if say Certain Affinity are put on as a team to do something new with Halo single-player content, they would be the lead studio in that dynamic, not 343i. 343i would be the trailing co-developer in that dynamic, from the creative side of things.

That's where I think things are heading for 343i when it's outside the scope of Halo Infinite MP.

Nobody cares how we got great games in the Halo Universe, just so long as we keep getting great games in the Halo Universe and more Master Chief-focused stories.

I would say some people care, especially huge fans who are into the development side of things. Because you can generally trace a direct correlation between BTS development health and big studio shake-ups (if they happen) or sudden outside teams being pushed onto a project, departures, etc.

Top Bottom