• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Re-Created in Unreal Engine 5 Gameplay (IGN)

kingfey

Banned

Check out the "Zeta Halo Experience," a Halo location re-created in Unreal Engine 5 by developer Infinite Forges.

Infinite Forges used Nanite, Lumen, and other UE5 features to make their own spin on Halo's classic level design. This was captured in 1080p on ultra settings with an RTX 2080 Ti and an Intel i7-9700K processor. This gameplay contains no combat and is fan-made content. It's just a walkthrough of a level design made in Unreal 5.

You can download the level yourself here! https://infiniteforges.itch.io/zetade...

This was created by Infinite Forges (@Infiniteforges). Music (which we had to replace, unfortunately, but you can hear his arrangement if you download the experience yourself): Mitchell Broom (@MitchellRBroom) Tech Art: Kaleb Nekumanesh (@gearshift_media) Forerunner Models created by @Pep0398.

Codes 208

-that walk animation seems pretty jittery
-the assault rifle and pov looks a bit off

But honestly everything looks spot on. The vegetation looks a little too basic but aside from that the lighting and depth of field looks like an improvement over infinite.

Overall comparable. Which one again asks wtf was 343 doing for so long during the 6 year dev time on infinite

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No offence OP, but a lot of these UE5 thread titles, not just yours, are clickbait to say the least ;).

“X Game recreated in UE5” is the ad

“A single area of a single level is kind of put together in UE5 with a mix of Store bought assets, no real gameplay and running kind of decently on a very expensive PC rig” is the content :).

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
I've decided I'm not going to look at another Halo game until the in game, real time graphics are as good as or superior to the rendered cut scenes of Halo 2 Remastered.

So, I've probably played my last Halo game..

Infinite looks a lot better IMO. Infinite is actually a really good looking game despite all the hate it gets. I’ve played a lot of next gen games and still think it’s near the top. I just really like the way it looks and performs overall
I'd say its a mixed bag, it's certainly not a showcase like it should have been.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

winjer

Gold Member
I tried the demo and it's a mixed bag.
There are several things it does really bad, for example the camera axis is all wrong. It also makes terrible use of film grain, chromatic aberration, lens flares and a disgustingly bad motion blur.
Disabling all this crap, makes the demo sharper and much better to appreciate the detail.

I see some people are saying the demo looks bad. Probably because they are watching a youtube video, at 1080p, with the issues of video compression.
Most didn't even try the demo for themselves. And much less, with settings to disable film grain, chromatic aberration, lens flares and motion blur.
So here are some screenshots with all that crap disabled, so people can take a better look at what the demo really has to offer.

52088319776_e92bee477c_o_d.jpg

52088817380_99d8161e6a_o_d.jpg

52088319801_b15fa34feb_o_d.jpg

yamaci17

biggest problem of halo infinite that it only looks good or rather looks how it is supposed to look like at brute force, native 4k (yes, not even 1440p saves this one). and only series x runs the game at 4k/60 fps. playing @120 fps mode brings the resolution to 1080p-levels and game quickly becomes a blur show, to a point where the game looks ... really hideous.

only people who played infinite @4k on sx or pc (if they have capable hardware, which is rare, because for 4k/60 fps, it needs a 3060ti) can actually appreciate halo infinite's graphics for what it is. even then, as others said, its not particularly a "showcase", but it really looks gorgeous in that setting. especially their GI.

as a person who saw the difference between 1440p and 4K on that game first hand, its really saddening how much the resolution can impact the overall image quality of this game. Simply put: Their temporal anti aliasing implementation is horrible and needs a high, brute force pixel count.

here is an example,

https://imgsli.com/MTA4NjI2

foliage looks muddy and ugly. @4k they actually look decent.
even the accessory on weapon looks more realistic and detailed @4k and looks like a lastgen asset @1440p
majority of valuable texture detail is erased @1440p pixel input. you can observe the effect on the assets that are on the background

another comparison,

https://imgsli.com/MTA4NjMx

specifically note that foliage looks particularly bad at anything below 4k. and since the game has a lot of foliage, most will people think that the game just looks bad. also notice how bad rocks look @1440p.

wish it wasn't this way. their TAA is pretty bad. nothing can be done about it aside from them improving it themselves. or maybe fsr 2.0. or dlss. or something.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Not super impressive or anything, but looks pretty good imo. Though I do prefer the look of Infinite.

Leyasu

Banned
Infinite looks a lot better IMO. Infinite is actually a really good looking game despite all the hate it gets. I’ve played a lot of next gen games and still think it’s near the top. I just really like the way it looks and performs overall
The forerunner interior sections look ok. I do think that the multi looks pretty good though.

Saying that, infinite is not going to age well.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
How come so many of these demos and projects that are made in UE5 are monochromatic brown? This doesn't look impressive at all to me.

Looks like shit and yes Halo Infinite looks better. People need to stop spamming shit on UE5 and start making games instead.
Yeah, no shit. If your spending this much time trying to recreate someone else’s work, just spend the time creating your own thing. At least with that they can pitch it to a publisher.

Top Bottom