• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TV Series | Discussion

reksveks

That's a 7/10 for me.

PS only ever played infinite and give no fucks about canon generally. Give me an interesting story.

miles118

7/10. So now the UNSC is the bad guy here ? Really ? When the colonists prevents the UNSC from getting deuterium. The showrunners probably want humans to fight each other to keep the show low budget.

miles118

7/10. So now the UNSC is the bad guy here ? Really ? When the colonists prevents the UNSC from getting deuterium. The showrunners probably want humans to fight each other to keep the show low budget. Still nice actions scenes. Hate the story already however.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Loved the first episode! Good job 343

When the theme kicked in at the end.

Master Chief Game GIF by Halo

Does the Spartan armor amplify conventional weaponry somehow? I was confused why the civilian minigun was ineffective on the Covenant until Mr. John Spartan picked it up and easily mowed them down with it, but then I remembered it's a TV show and I'm not supposed to think about it.

Aside from that, it's a decent start. The suits look really good (especially Chief's), but the CGI is a mixed bag. A quick look at the credits reveals why: there's like 10 different visual effects studios that worked on it.

Okay, that first episode was fucking amazing! Loved every moment.

Was much more brutal and violent than I would have expected. The acting is very well done. I love Chief's character already, already fully acclimated to this being the TV Series Chief. Halsey is just flawless so far. I'm a fan of Captain Keyes character thus far. Miranda is super interesting. Parangosky seems fit to the task based on what I know about her from the books. Can't wait to see how her arc plays out. I loved the action, loved how they did the Elites and handled the effects. Love the dynamic between Chief and Insurrectionist girl. I'm also digging the subtle changes to the universe lore, but this is without a doubt the Halo I love.

Holy shit, I can't believe it's finally here. If the rest of the episodes are this good or better, I think they have a hit on their hands. I really like it so far.

Thirty7ven

Banned
That was very mediocre and even amateurish in parts.

The fps scenes looked awful and some of the cgi stuck out like a sore thumb.

It’s just one episode and I will stick around for more but the writing was B tier at best, and the acting wasn’t exactly punching above it. For a first episode it did a very poor job of establishing the world and the ideas it’s going for. Commits the cardinal sin of removing the mystery around Master Chief in record time too.

A lot of stories start media res, it’s the oldest play in the book after all, but it didn’t raise any interesting questions.

The visual design is decent but it looks low budget for the majority of the episode. It also seems to break rules as soon as it establishes them, and it’s trying to do too much for a first episode.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I feel my standards for an action, sci-fi streaming show have been adequately lowered by Star Wars. If this is better than that, I may be impressed.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Will watch tonight. Don’t give 2 shits if it follows a game or a book or whatever. stand alone universe is fine

The first person "Video Game" view from Master Chief's perspective will always be tacky. Doesn't add anything meaningful and just looks lame.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Eh it was alright overall. Not sure how much I dig all the changes from the book/game canon but I’m in to see where it goes. Hopefully they keep the violence level up, covenant blowing a bunch of dumb teenagers up was kinda funny

Fbh

I've been pessimistic about this the whole time but I have to admit the first episode was pretty decent.

The action was pretty good and IMO they did a good job at showing the inhuman super soldier side of Spartans. I was also surprised by a higher than expected degree of violence.

The visuals are ok, not great but also not distractingly bad (unlike Raised by Wolves S2) , also some details like that first town having very 20th century looking cars seems a bit cheap.

And the story has potential though anyone hoping for a remotely faithful adaptation will hate it.

Wasn't blown away and at this point it could still go either way. But the first impression was better than expected
Does the Spartan armor amplify conventional weaponry somehow? I was confused why the civilian minigun was ineffective on the Covenant until Mr. John Spartan picked it up and easily mowed them down with it, but then I remembered it's a TV show and I'm not supposed to think about it.

Yeah I noticed this too. At first when their weapon were effective I was like "oh ok maybe they have special bullets" but then he just picks up that minigun which was shown to be ineffective and he instantly takes down several covenant.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Something is wrong with the cinematography. It looks like a 48fps movie or the motion smoothing setting of my tv. Makes things feel like a set and the armor like a costume. They need more fog on set to high some detail and give it depth or something.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
So I've had a day to think back on my time with episode 1 and I still maintain if you go into it expecting it to be it's own universe it is good. It 100 percent isn't our game universe Halo. It doesn't remotely pretend to be either.

To be honest too I do think that they were damned no matter what they did by some fans but I do think setting the TV show up in it's own alternate universe was a good call. This does allow it to be it's own thing and change things that probably wouldn't hold up to a tv format. I still maintain this really comes off to me as RoboCop meats Halo and I do feel it works. I like that I honestly don't know where they're going to go with this. I'd grow bored if it was a 1 to 1 translation. To each their own though. If you don't like it then ok that's fine. However some of us do and do want to see where it goes.

Honest thoughts.

4/10 yea that was pretty bad. Some cringy dialogue and acting. The story is reminiscent of halo 5 and that's never a good sign. The opening act with the covenant attack was done fairly well but the cinematography, production value, and stories we better with past Halo Ads

Last edited:
I thought it was actually pretty decent.

Keep in mind, I barely remember the story from the few Halo games I played. I don't care at all about that lore.

And the only scripted television I've watched in the past month is four episodes of Star Trek Picard season 2.

The bar this had to clear with me was very low.

Last edited:

LNXD

Neo Member
The series is entertaining and is an adaptation of the lore, I think it's better than Star Trek discovery.

What I liked the most and something the games don't show is the brutality of the Covenant weapons.

The series mixes the chronology don't follow the same timeline as the game, by 2552 the war was almost at the end and humanity had lost almost all the colonies, in the series it seems that they are in the first years where the Unsc was still fighting the Insurgency and they thought that the covenant was a story to scare the outer colonies.

Another thing that is not clear or they mixed it up so not confuse the audience is that there is no difference between the Unsc and the ONI, (the cia or kgb of the halo universe), they did really bad things to protect their interests. A program where children are kidnapped to turn them into war machines to defeat insurgents is not something very good people do.

miles118

On whose opinion ? From my knowledge Deuterium is needed for nuclear fusion and so to power their ship. By preventing the UNSC from aquiring Deuterium you prevent them from winning the war against the covenant and therefore dooming humanity. The little girl was going to say that the UNSC killed her compatriots which could have created a war betweeen colonies when they are already at war with the Covenant. That is just stupid. And what's more the Spartan project from the UNSC and their ships are the only thing preventing humans from perishing. They also tried to save the rebel colony when the covenant attacked them but she probably feels entitled enough to think that the UNSC has to save them any way. They should have just let them ravage the planet if that was her response.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
On whose opinion ? From my knowledge Deuterium is needed for nuclear fusion and so to power their ship. By preventing the UNSC from aquiring Deuterium you prevent them from winning the war against the covenant and therefore dooming humanity. The little girl was going to say that the UNSC killed her compatriots which could have created a war betweeen colonies when they are already at war with the Covenant. That is just stupid. And what's more the Spartan project from the UNSC and their ships are the only thing preventing humans from perishing. They also tried to save the rebel colony when the covenant attacked them but she probably feels entitled enough to think that the UNSC has to save them any way. They should have just let them ravage the planet if that was her response.

Its like all separatist movements, they can't & won't see past their own little myopic narrative view of the World.

Methos#1975

The seperatist knew nothing about the Covenant, that is pretty solidly confirmed in the 1st episode. They thought the Spartans were working with the Covenant at first.

miles118

The seperatist knew nothing about the Covenant, that is pretty solidly confirmed in the 1st episode. They thought the Spartans were working with the Covenant at first.
Well now Kwan Ha the little girl knows and she doesn't care. Her decisions could kills billions and she doesn't give two s*ts but USNC is the bad guy right ?

Last edited:
I liked it overall, mostly because I thought it looked cool to see the Covies and Spartans in live action. I'm also a big Pablo Schreiber fan (he's great in The Wire and Den of Thieves). Some of the writing and editing toward the end of the episode was pretty bad, though, very 'mediocre network TV' stuff.

So I guess the UNSC has been fighting a secret war against the Covenant for years? I've only played the games and read that first book, but that's a significant change, right?

jason10mm

Gold Member
No, they did, but they attributed it to fake news and doctored footage.

I'm gonna watch ep1 again to see if there is more backstory to the rebels than I remember. Like what are they mining, who are they selling it to, and why does the UNSC care?

So is the korean girl gonna become a spartan? Turn into the Cortana/hacker person all of these shows seem to require to bypass technological "stuff" that are really just lazy writing tropes? Or just be the perpetual "what is thaaaaat?" newbie for the audience to get exposition dumps?

If nothing else, it's nice to see Sydnee Goodman again, one of the least annoying/fake sounding commentators in recent memory.

Top Bottom