• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TV Series | Discussion

Vasto

Just finished the 3rd and it was really good. The show is giving me what I have been wanting for years which is a deep dive into the story. Now I am really seeing how Cortana and Master Chiefs bond came together and how she helps him in ways that would be impossible with out her. This is why I have always wanted a Halo RPG becuase their is so much story to be told.

Last edited:
Hollywood is for this evil A.I narrative. And any project with a good A.I will never get approved. So Cortanna can control masterchief and spy on his every actions now ?

She could always do this. In Halo: The Fall of Reach she was able to help him swat away a missile fired from a fighter jet at point blank range. She can significantly help accelerate his physical strength, speed and reflexes.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Damn
Episode 1: No helmet.
Episode 2: No armor.
Episode 3: Straight up naked.

Following this trend I don't really want to see the full frontal nude next week.
Well, I suspect he will bone the Covenant lady at some point.

Before or after he finds out she is his sister/sex swapped clone/mother, Master Chief don't give a fuck.

Just finished the 3rd and it was really good. The show is giving me what I have been wanting for years which is a deep dive into the story. Now I am really seeing how Cortana and Master Chiefs bond came together and how she helps him in ways that would be impossible with out her. This is why I have always wanted a Halo RPG becuase their is so much story to be told.

I'm with you on the Halo RPG. So much potential there.

Cortana actually grounds the series to the books and games with her familiar voice and line delivery. Odd how she can have control over the Spartan's body though. Apparently Stasis is the new Cryo-sleep. That's bullshit. I would have loved to have seen how they handled the Cryo-Chamber and how people like Lasky, who is allergic to cytoprethaline, the drug that aids in reducing cell degeneration in cryo, copes with everyone around them not aging. It would have also allowed the show to shelve the Spartans as the UNSC sees fit and show how inhumanely the Spartans are treated, in-turn, they are still on the ready when they wake up regardless of that treatment.

I'm still trying to figure out who this show is for, if not the fans, then who? There's so much lore and breadth in the books and games, that they could have just made up a story in the universe and it could have been good. Instead, they made a story that's parallel in another universe and it sucks.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Cortana being the same actress works great. And her introduction is wired you can build an AI without murder of a body. But overall good episode. Worm guys were fun. Backstory on why the covenant human hates humans was needed.

miles118

Evil AI is a sci-fi trope, not a Hollywood one tbf.
Well the last A.I. I saw which was not evil was Jarvis in Iron Man. I don't expect Cortana to be good in the begining.
She also turned out to be evil at the end but whatever.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Well the last A.I. I saw which was not evil was Jarvis in Iron Man. I don't expect Cortana to be good in the begining.
Read some Peter F. Hamilton. He has MANY A. I.s in his books and all of them are obedient and benevolent. It would be interesting to see a film adaptation of his stuff because he treats so much technology as almost 100% working as intended compared to almost all of Hollywood these days.

softwarepagan

Neo Member
So, I signed up for a free trial of Paramount+ to watch the first few episodes of Halo, and I'm pleasantly surprised in that I'm not nearly as disappointed as I thought I'd be. I thought we'd be seeing Star Trek: Discovery levels of bullshit, but honestly this just feels like something of a gritty reboot you'd see ten years ago, and while that's kind of bullshit in its own right, it's not nearly as ridiculous as it could be. More watchable than a lot of other things that're on TV right now, and it does seem to at least vaguely be Halo. Remember, they could have gone full Dragon Ball: Evolution with this. (Though, frankly, in the current media climate, even Dragonball: Evolution would be refreshing. I shudder to think this.)

MachRc

Wayyy better than Raised by Wolves and picard. The fan service turned me off the first episode of Halo..in visor shooting due to the popularity.

But the story is really brining me in. Master Chief on MDMA was cool in the 3rd episode.

Could totally imagine the flood by end of season 2.

I'm excited to see more.

It kind of bothers me how much this show gets right (props like armor and weapons, CGI, the ships, etc), and how much it decided to change the characterization of the protagonists, to the point where most of the time I'm not enjoying it. I will keep watching and hope it gets better (for me), but seeing some of the positive reactions to the changes made to Chief's character and his relationship with Cortana makes me think the show will continue this way, which is definitely not what I was expecting of it.
I'm still trying to figure out who this show is for, if not the fans, then who? There's so much lore and breadth in the books and games, that they could have just made up a story in the universe and it could have been good. Instead, they made a story that's parallel in another universe and it sucks.
I'm on the same page. Why make a "silver" universe? What's the endgame? The games/books are DECADES ahead of where the show begins, so it's not like the show's going to mess up the ending of the source material (like HBO Game of Thrones did). Why make Chief go AWOL over an insurgent teenager in the very first episode? Why have Cortana's relation with Chief differ so much from what we know is canon in the games and books? Why "Silver" team instead of Blue Team? I concede that the show could course correct all of this (e.g. kill Silver team during attack on Reach and have Chief work with Blue Team) but... why? Like, what is the point in deviating so much from the characters? It brings nothing to the table for people that are not familiar with the lore, and can't possibly be alluring for people that are into the games/books/etc. In E3 when Halsey and her clone (pre-Cortana) are talking, the clone says something to the effect of Halsey choosing John for the Cortana integration because he was always the faster/stronger Spartan. That's also not canonical. There were stronger and faster Spartan IIs, and John was chosen (by Cortana, not Halsey) to work with the AI program for the same reason Halsey chose him on Eridanus II: his apparently above average "luck". I don't need the show to spell out the stuff I know from the books, but why change it? Again, who is this show for?
She could always do this. In Halo: The Fall of Reach she was able to help him swat away a missile fired from a fighter jet at point blank range. She can significantly help accelerate his physical strength, speed and reflexes.
Your post is absolutely correct except for the fact that you're replying with "She could always do this" to the question of "So Cortanna [sic] can control masterchief and spy on his every actions now ?"
That is incorrect; Cortana cannot control Chief, or the armor. The event you're referencing (Chief swatting missile) was Chief's idea; he requested Cortana to assist in the calculations to tell him when to react. She did not react for him. In the show, Cortana is for some reason "installed" directly in Chief's brain (I guess so they can keep showing him without the armor), while in the books Chief is given an upgrade to his neural interface (which connects with the armor) and Cortana "runs" on the armor while interfacing between the Chief AND the armor. A quote from the book:
John had a sudden flash—AIs handled a great deal of point defense during Naval operations. “Can she control the MJOLNIR armor?” He wasn’t sure he liked that.
“No. Cortana resides in the interface between your mind and the suit, Master Chief. You will find your reaction time greatly improved. She will be translating the impulses in your motor cortex directly into motion—she can’t make you send those impulses.”
Then the event you correctly described but incorrectly misattributed to Cortana controlling Chief:
“I’ll need your help, Cortana,” he said.
“Anything,” she whispered. The Master Chief heard nervousness in the AI’s voice.
“Calculate the inbound velocity of a Scorpion missile. Factor in my reaction time and the jet’s inbound speed and distance at launch, and tell me the instant I need to move to sidestep and deflect it with my left arm.”
Cortana paused a heartbeat. “Calculation done. You did say ‘deflect’?”

The show gets so much stuff right. The prop and costume design is amazing. Whenever Chief has the armor on (and as long as he's not talking) it really does feel like Halo. The CGI for The Covenant is so, SO good. The Pelicans, Warthogs, Phantoms, the weapons, the customized armor of "silver" team, all of that is great. The action sequence of E1 was such a joy to see. The plasma damage from the Coventant weapons was a HOLY CRAP moment for me, just fantastic. I'll keep watching just for those moments.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I feel like the production team knows and loves halo, but the writing team had this favorite script about scifi super soldiers that they just added "Master Chief" to in order to sell it to paramount.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Episode 3 is fine

- Cortana is great. No doubt about that
- the sentimental thing is kinda weird and needs better direction
- Master Chieff actor still doesn't really know how to do the character justice. You can compare with the other actors and they're way better methodical Spartans
- B plot with the little girl still sucks, at least this episode has just a few scenes with her. I hope she turns into a special guest or something in a near future

It has hope. I'm kinda excited for episode 4

Last edited:
So, did only like 10 people work on that ship the alien girl took over?
Not only that but the captain 1) was along with the security team which is a terrible mistake, and 2) did not shoot the human enemy that was clearly giving orders to the lekgolo, even when he had her right in front of her gun, probably closer than two meters.

At least they got right the Cole Protocol part.
Loved Cortana.
I don't mind the design, and the changes to her characterization and the way she interacts with John kind of annoy me, but man is it glad to hear a familiar voice. Hearing Jen Taylor again brought a smile to my face.

So yeah, definitely my problem with the show is its writing. I don't think I have a problem with the actors, they're doing what they're told. *shrug* I'll just keep enjoying the rest of the elements because the production is great in my opinion.

Pilgrimzero

Not only that but the captain 1) was along with the security team which is a terrible mistake, and 2) did not shoot the human enemy that was clearly giving orders to the lekgolo, even when he had her right in front of her gun, probably closer than two meters.

At least they got right the Cole Protocol part.

I don't mind the design, and the changes to her characterization and the way she interacts with John kind of annoy me, but man is it glad to hear a familiar voice. Hearing Jen Taylor again brought a smile to my face.

So yeah, definitely my problem with the show is its writing. I don't think I have a problem with the actors, they're doing what they're told. *shrug* I'll just keep enjoying the rest of the elements because the production is great in my opinion.

To be fair she’s new (1st of her kind) and never met or seen him before. Same for him.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Episode 3 is fine

- Cortana is great. No doubt about that
- the sentimental thing is kinda weird and needs better direction
- Master Chieff actor still doesn't really know how to do the character justice. You can compare with the other actors and they're way better methodical Spartans
- B plot with the little girl still sucks, at least this episode has just a few scenes with her. I hope she turns into a special guest or something in a near future

It has hope. I'm kinda excited for episode 4
The show is genuinely a good sci-fi series that just happens to be based on Halo. With The Expanse ending, this is a pretty good weekly replacement for that and I’m glad there’s a second season already greenlit.

Razvedka

Banned
I mean the books already did this from the start with Fall of Reach. The show is an interesting watch but it isn't Halo, they've retconned functionally everything.

Not to say I'm not enjoying it, but I kinda pretend its a show like The Expanse as opposed to literally Halo.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I mean the books already did this from the start with Fall of Reach. The show is an interesting watch but it isn't Halo, they've retconned functionally everything.
You can’t retcon something that’s in a different continuity. That’s not what the word means. It’d be like saying the MCU retcons the comics even though they’re two separate continuities.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
You can’t retcon something that’s in a different continuity. That’s not what the word means. It’d be like saying the MCU retcons the comics even though they’re two separate continuities.
So like I said, I treat it like a generic Sci-Fi show and I'm happier that way. It's not Halo.

Still fun as of Episode 2, have not seen 3.

Last edited:
So like I said, that's like saying the MCU isn't Marvel because it doesn't share the same continuity as the comics.
The problem is, the only thing that Halo shares with books or games, is visuals alone. Nothing else. Marvel changes a few things here and there, but nothing this major.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
The problem is, the only thing that Halo shares with books or games, is visuals alone. Nothing else. Marvel changes a few things here and there, but nothing this major.
Really? Tony Stark created Ultron. Thanos’ motivation was COMPLETELY different. Taskmaster is now a mute white girl.

Really? Tony Stark created Ultron. Thanos’ motivation was COMPLETELY different. Taskmaster is now a mute white girl.
Tony creating Ultron made sense for the MCU, Comic books do have multiple universes, it's common knowledge. Those universes are being touched on in the newest set of multi-verse related movies and shows. Gender and Race swapping is fine. But like I said, down to the most miniscule small details in Halo, it's all wrong. Everything is wrong or different. Not just trivial things here and there. Literally fucking everything.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Tony creating Ultron made sense for the MCU, Comic books do have multiple universes, it's common knowledge. Those universes are being touched on in the newest set of multi-verse related movies and shows. Gender and Race swapping is fine. But like I said, down to the most miniscule small details in Halo, it's all wrong. Everything is wrong or different. Not just trivial things here and there. Literally fucking everything.
BECAUSE ITS A DIFFERENT UNIVERSE FROM THE GAMES

BECAUSE ITS A DIFFERENT UNIVERSE FROM THE GAMES
WHICH IS FUCKING STUPID AND UNNECESSARY. They literally could have told stories that were happening in parallel with the main saga that affected the main story arc and people would have loved it. They could have told stories before and in-between as well. It worked for ever other book that's become a show or movie, why not this?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
WHICH IS FUCKING STUPID AND UNNECESSARY. They literally could have told stories that were happening in parallel with the main saga that affected the main story arc and people would have loved it. They could have told stories before and in-between as well. It worked for ever other book that's become a show or movie, why not this?
Because how the fuck do you do that with Master Chief? People aren’t going to watch a Halo show where Master Chief is frozen in stasis.

Reddit comment award for the archives. They were talking about
the captain not shooting his handgun at the Covie chick.

reddit comment reply "perhaps he doesn't keep it loaded".

I lost my shit. Funnier and more firmly placed in the old lore than the last 3 episodes.

Because how the fuck do you do that with Master Chief? People aren’t going to watch a Halo show where Master Chief is frozen in stasis.
That was after Halo 3, they have a lot of ground to cover before they get to that point. But hell, for Season 4 they could have followed Fred, Linda, and Kelly around or maybe even Lasky previous to the events of Halo 4, finding the Chief could have been a end-season event. They could have touched on Jun who trains Spartan IV's and showed how he escaped Reach with Halsey. How did Sgt Johnson escape Halo? How did Johnson become a Spartan I? Meanwhile, where the fuck is Johnson in this new show?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
That was after Halo 3, they have a lot of ground to cover before they get to that point. But hell, for Season 4 they could have followed Fred, Linda, and Kelly around or maybe even Lasky previous to the events of Halo 4, finding the Chief could have been a end-season event. They could have touched on Jun who trains Spartan IV's and showed how he escaped Reach with Halsey. How did Sgt Johnson escape Halo? How did Johnson become a Spartan I? Meanwhile, where the fuck is Johnson in this new show?
And this is why Spielberg didn’t hire Halo fanboys to write a multi million dollar TV show that had to appeal to not just hardcore Halo players.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
What’s hilarious is my senior citizen father got this immediately. He asked me if I’d watched the show.

I said yeah, it’s alright, pretty different from the games but I’ll keep watching

He asked what was different…any Qwan in the games?

No, and Master Chief is basically a silent protagonist, he talks but rarely and you never see him with his helmet off.

“Well…that really wouldn’t work for a TV show…”

My dad is wise

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Great 3rd episode.
Yes, the captain should have shot the girl but other than that, it's a good start.

Now give me The Flood.

sol_bad

I'm happy to see people are enjoying it by episode 3. Even Angry Joe said he was enjoying it more. I'm slowly being tempted to sub to Paramount+ when I get back to Oz.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
No, and Master Chief is basically a silent protagonist, he talks but rarely and you never see him with his helmet off.
Not exactly. In Infinite, for example, he talks a lot.

Also, the helmet thing could be like Mandalorian. He takes off, but it's here and there, not all the fucking time

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Not exactly. In Infinite, for example, he talks a lot.

Also, the helmet thing could be like Mandalorian. He takes off, but it's here and there, not all the fucking time
I’m aware that it varies by game, but for the most part the story is told around Master Chief in the games. And treating the helmet like he’s a Mandalorian just makes no sense. Yes, they could’ve done something like the Mandalorian, but why?

They’re not trying to 1:1 the games here, and except for the worms shit, they’re doing fine

And this is why Spielberg didn’t hire Halo fanboys to write a multi million dollar TV show that had to appeal to not just hardcore Halo players.
It would have covered both crowds. You’re completely wrong and that’s ok. The show won’t make it past season 2 or 3 at best. It’s incredibly low quality garbage.

ManaByte

Gold Member
You’re completely wrong and that’s ok.

If you think any movie or TV show can survive by ONLY catering to the people who played the games you should go ask how the producers of the shitty Hitman or Max Payne movies are doing these days.

Spoiler: One hasn't made a movie since and spends all day on Twitter desperately pandering to any fanbase he can seeking to be accepted and failing.

If you think any movie or TV show can survive by ONLY catering to the people who played the games you should go ask how the producers of the shitty Hitman or Max Payne movies are doing these days.

Spoiler: One hasn't made a movie since and spends all day on Twitter desperately pandering to any fanbase he can seeking to be accepted and failing.
Those were terrible movies, so they're doing exactly what they're meant to be doing, which is not making movies. The crowd that loves Halo, wanted a show, but not this show. You must not understand how much of the lore they changed, and I can't express more that they changed everything down to the atom. I would have accepted some things being changed around, so long as it followed the general plot and concepts. The show, in its current form doesn't even have cryo-pods. How awesome would it have been if the opening scene was a cryo-pod hissing open with the Chief bursting out of it grabbing a weapon, then heading to fight? That alone would have shown his shear will to fight a threat gathering intel on the way. Instead we have this giant nosed shit-bag walking around naked removing his feelings chip. They came out the gate with a sensitive Master Chief and they could have gradually grown the character into that role. They could have started him as a UNSC-made walking tank war machine, then have him slowly get back his humanity. I would still have him make the right choices, but it's kind of like were getting the Terminator at the end of the movie after skipping over the beginning.

Last edited:

miles118

You are crazy. Hitman looks nothing like the game. Fans would have wanted it to look like the game, but producers do not beleive that this kind of movie can make money. Same for Max Payne. it looks nothing like the game. We are complaining that the story doesn't look enough like the game in Halo too and that the characters have been completly changed.

To be fair she’s new (1st of her kind) and never met or seen him before. Same for him.
Do you mean the Covenant-adopted human? If so, the captain doesn't need to know "what" she is to know that she is clearly a threat at that moment, and that she's obviously giving orders to the lekgolo as they attack the UNSC soldiers. So like... stop shooting at the wormy thingy that's impossible to shoot and shoot instead at the humanoid form in front of you?

It's a nitpicky silly thing, but it bothers me when writers corner themselves into these idiotic scenarios where the only way to make things work is to have the characters behave illogically (which to be fair to the Halo writers happens a lot both in TV and film).

Instead, they could have:
1. Shown the Covenant-adopted human being picked up just like in the show. Get on the ground, they search her, etc.
2. Show the lekgolo slithering through vents or whatever, out of sight.
3. Bring the human to an interrogation room. The lekgolo have made their way to the bridge where the captain is. They attack there while the prisoner is in the interrogation room.

It's just so silly to force characters to act irrationally just for the story to proceed. These are trained UNSC soldiers, that have probably killed other humans before (insurgents). Why would they not kill this one human that is clearly a threat and clearly in command of the enemy forces during that sequence?

It would have also spared us the plasma nail-knife or whatever that idiotic thing was haha.

Last edited:
Top Bottom