• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TV Series | Discussion

ManaByte

Gold Member
I gave it a fair shake, 5 episodes is more than enough. As an adaptation, it's awful. As a compelling story, it's awful. As a sci fi tv show, maybe it works for under 20s who haven't seen enough, but for me? I'm out.
High Quality Im Shocked GIF

ManaByte

Gold Member
He tells the person doing this for cbs manually if they do it again he’s taking them to court and tells them to back the fuck off.
Empty threat that likely isn't going anywhere. And knowing him and the massive urge (financial) he would have to spread a lot of negativity around this show, I for one am glad I'm not giving any of his videos the time of day.
That guy is a retarded tool but he has every right to put his mental diarrhea up on YouTube
This won’t work out the way Joe imagines on his head as a heroic crusader against a massive corporation. Viacom is one of the companies you don’t fuck with when it comes to copyright claims on YouTube. Hell he could end up losing his whole channel just to post clips from a show and shit on it.

The guy from Geeks and Gamers dared Sony to ban his Twitter account for posting TLOU2 leaks. Well Sony took that dare and he got banned.

Last edited:
Empty threat that likely isn't going anywhere. And knowing him and the massive urge (financial) he would have to spread a lot of negativity around this show, I for one am glad I'm not giving any of his videos the time of day.
I've watched his reviews and all his comments are actually true, same for what alex and OJ say.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Its hit or miss, but tv budget clearly isnt working for the covenant. Its likely that this season we will only see the prophets and elites, likely due to budget constraints, action scenes against the covenant are nearly non existent. This should have been a movie instead, and it needed more money. Most of the action take place as humans fight humans, likely cheaper to produce. Maybe if we are lucky next season we will see grunts, jackals, and hunters? But who tf knows at this point

Last edited:
I find the writing on the show so terrible I just have to skip to the somewhat interesting parts, like today's action sequence. Even that isn't devoid of issues due to characterization. I wonder who at Microsoft/343i greenlit these changes, and what the reasoning for it was. To have Chief attack Halsey and then wake up and not be immediately court martialed or at least restrained... how does that even make sense in a militaristic sci-fi universe?
Its likely that this season we will only see the prophets and elites, likely due to budget constraints, action scenes against the covenant are nearly non existent. Maybe if we are lucky next season we will see grunts, jackals, and hunters?
You need to watch the latest episode.

Last edited:
I've watched his reviews and all his comments are actually true, same for what alex and OJ say.

I doubt that. What little I've seen posted to twitter, he doesn't know a thing Halo's extended fiction, which is why so much of what he says ends up being wrong. He's attacking it because he thinks it gets him more views (he's right). Is every little thing in the show flawless? No, but overall they are hitting it out of the park for a big budget Halo TV series.

And the latest episode only further confirmed my suspicions of Kai being Linda in this timeline, Vannak is Fred and Riz is Kelly. It appears they're setting up that amazing comeback mission like in First Strike when Linda recovered, but that's quite a ways out yet. That's well after discovering the first Halo. :)

Last edited:

miles118

I gave it a fair shake, 5 episodes is more than enough. As an adaptation, it's awful. As a compelling story, it's awful. As a sci fi tv show, maybe it works for under 20s who haven't seen enough, but for me? I'm out.
Well I am a fan of everything that is sci-fi and also a halo fan. And as long as a sci-fi game that I consider as good I will play it. So this show is everyhing I wanted from a tv show. So I do not agree.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Episode five finally, FINALLY shows a real deal

Good stuff:
the action in the third act is fucking great! I mean, my heart skipped a beat when Master Chief says "spartans, get in" [to the Warthog]

I also really loved the enemies and their ships showing while the spartans fighting them.

Bad stuff:
Lots of cliches like "you're the reason that we are alive" thing, the convenience that only when Master Chief wakes up that things, the artifact secure... A plot still is kinda boring. B plot with the girl and the guy at Madrigal is very short this episode and adds basically nothing - for better or worse. C plot with the other spartans are too shallow this time, and the thing with Kai being excluded and then called back minutes later is dumb writing

This won’t work out the way Joe imagines on his head as a heroic crusader against a massive corporation. Viacom is one of the companies you don’t fuck with when it comes to copyright claims on YouTube. Hell he could end up losing his whole channel just to post clips from a show and shit on it.

The guy from Geeks and Gamers dared Sony to ban his Twitter account for posting TLOU2 leaks. Well Sony took that dare and he got banned.
So now we are comparing copyright infringement to another company abusing fair use??

Geeks and gamers had no legit legal standing on the matter.

laughing-rofl.gif

ManaByte

Gold Member
So now we are comparing copyright infringement to another company abusing fair use??

Angry Joe's monetized videos shitting on a TV show don't fall under fair use protection. YouTube's policy is pretty clear on it.

Last edited:
Angry Joe's monetized videos shitting on a TV show don't fall under fair use protection. YouTube's policy is pretty clear on it.

"Courts typically focus on whether the use of copyright-protected material is “transformative.” This means whether the use adds new expression or meaning to the original material, or whether it merely copies from the original.
Commercial uses are less likely to be considered fair use, but it’s still possible to monetize a video that contains fair use material."

"For example, in the United States, works of commentary, criticism"

giphy.gif

Sure thing Jan, positive reviews with longer and more frequent direct copy of video and audio snippets go through fine. A popular channel with a poor/average review and it gets hit. Plainly abusive practice on show when you consider the wider channels fair usage beyond just Angry Joe.

ManaByte

Gold Member
"Courts typically focus on whether the use of copyright-protected material is “transformative.” This means whether the use adds new expression or meaning to the original material, or whether it merely copies from the original.
Commercial uses are less likely to be considered fair use, but it’s still possible to monetize a video that contains fair use material."

"For example, in the United States, works of commentary, criticism"

giphy.gif

"Uses that harm the copyright owner’s ability to profit from their original work are less likely to be fair uses."

And that's where he loses the fight. Very easy for CBS to argue that he was intentionally trying to harm the series with how he was using the clips.

He could avoid it by turning off the ads on the videos, but that defeats the whole purpose right there.

Last edited:
"Uses that harm the copyright owner’s ability to profit from their original work are less likely to be fair uses."

And that's where he loses the fight. Very easy for CBS to argue that he was intentionally trying to harm the series with how he was using the clips.

He could avoid it by turning off the ads on the videos, but that defeats the whole purpose right there.
How was he using the clips to "harm" the series? Please explain

Last edited:
To discourage people from watching it? Less people watching (and subbing to Paramount+) thus harms their profits, and that's what they would argue here.
So you mean joe offered fair criticism for a TV series review format like every other fucking review under the sun, which falls under CRITICISM and COMMENTARY for fair use purposes.

Imagine if every media company could just claim your video for a bad review.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Then fair use reviews are impossible. Do you believe that's fair?

There's a thin line between a "review" and a YouTube video made for monetized outrage views to piss people off about a movie/tv show. Why do you think a lot of those MCU/Star Wars channels don't use actual clips from the movies while on their daily "SJWs are destroying Marvel" rants? Because they know Disney will fuck them up the ass.

There's a thin line between a "review" and a YouTube video made for monetized outrage views to piss people off about a movie/tv show. Why do you think a lot of those MCU/Star Wars channels don't use actual clips from the movies while on their daily "SJWs are destroying Marvel" rants? Because they know Disney will fuck them up the ass.
Of course, you didn't watch his review, how predictable. Each member points out what they don't like and what they like for a final verdict at the end. TV clips are interspersed to give context to their points about the show's quality with interjections of humor. If you actually watched the review you would know Joe has been the most leint of the series compared to his friends. Joe never mentions "SJW's" and "woke agenda." Please try harder.

ZehDon

Gold Member
There's a thin line between a "review" and a YouTube video made for monetized outrage views to piss people off about a movie/tv show.
If the line is so thin, how do you safely make a distinction? If you make a distinction between people being falsely negative, do you also make a distinction between people being falsely positive?

In Joe's reviews, I don't believe he's mentioned "SJW" or "Woke" once. So, while I don't agree with all of his points, he does make valid subjective points that form the basis of his review. Do you think he shouldn't be able to?

Imagining defending CBS for abusing youtube's copyright system to censor negative reviews. Do you even know what fair use means?

And CBS only started blocking their videos since ep2, since thats when AJ started to criticize the show. Their ep1 review is untouched. And these copyright claims are not automated like they usually are. These are done manually. The funniest part is that the portions of the vdeo where CBS claims are copyright infringement are literally just the guys talking.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Well I am a fan of everything that is sci-fi and also a halo fan. And as long as a sci-fi game that I consider as good I will play it. So this show is everyhing I wanted from a tv show. So I do not agree.

I’m happy for you, a lot of work went into making this tv show, a lot of people put years on creating it. I gave it five hours, I’m not mad, disappointed because I wanted to like it because in my mind Halo is visually iconic and that’s a key ingredient for sci fi.

Fbh

Episode 5 was pretty good, finally some proper action. Shame that they don't have the budget to have stuff like this more often.
The biggest issue with the show continues to be the boring and uninteresting madrigal side plot. Kwan is really unlikable, I don't give a fuck about madrigal or the resistance, and Bokeem Woodbine seems wasted on a filler.

reksveks

I did enjoy that episode and the choreography wasn't too bad during the action bits.

Kwan still isn't that interesting sadly.

Still like cortana and the general adaptions including the weapons.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
By far the best episode yet with decent action/decent not-great CG and an actual objective to follow all the way through (i.e. we need to get the MacGuffin off planet before the bad guys do!).

I thought the familial dynamic was sorta unbelievable but still interesting, chief being a hypocrite about the emotion chip was interesting, him defying orders to save pink stripes was cool, still kinda silly how much he takes his helmet off and Kwan is still the least interesting part of the show. Missed opportunities for gratuitous gore.

There are legit people in here likely not watching the show, but are saying it sucks over Xbox, and you know it.c
Episode five finally, FINALLY shows a real deal

Good stuff:
the action in the third act is fucking great! I mean, my heart skipped a beat when Master Chief says "spartans, get in" [to the Warthog]

I also really loved the enemies and their ships showing while the spartans fighting them.

Bad stuff:
Lots of cliches like "you're the reason that we are alive" thing, the convenience that only when Master Chief wakes up that things, the artifact secure... A plot still is kinda boring. B plot with the girl and the guy at Madrigal is very short this episode and adds basically nothing - for better or worse. C plot with the other spartans are too shallow this time, and the thing with Kai being excluded and then called back minutes later is dumb writing

It is not dumb writing because Kai-125 is a Petty Officer First Class who was given a direct order by an officer with the rank of Commander. Miranda as a Naval Officer at the rank of Commander outranks even the Master Chief himself. She's only a single rank below her father, who is a Captain.

The first thing Kai tried to do was obey Master Chief's orders. She got on Miranda's ship and immediately suggested to Miranda they needed to get the ship out of there because they have no air support. She was then countered by Miranda who directly told her that she's not leaving, and that Kai is to join the fight, to which she Kai obeyed. But before Kai dared risk being seen as going against a direct order from the Master Chief, she first sought out the Master Chief's direct approval of her joining the fight by presenting herself before him and saying simply "Chief" basically seeking his explicit permission, a permission he immediately then granted by issuing her orders to "stay back with the marines and keep us covered."

The writing is all on point if you pay close attention to the details. Master Chief also issued those orders to her at a time when they likely weren't expecting a Covenant assault as relentless as the one that showed up. They expected a smaller Covenant force, one they would simply overwhelm with all the might they had gathered in the area, but what they got instead was a much more formidable force that clearly came with such a force because they had knowledge of the importance of what they were coming to collect. The UNSC were expecting the typical covenant patrol or presence, not an organized assault led by clearly one of their very best, which appeared to be that brute they sent in.

They miscalculated that the Covenant, with help from Makee (who they still don't know much of anything about), would gain so much knowledge of their location and its importance by way of their attempt to remove the artifact.

Last edited:
Oh just wait for the gushing over TLOU series.

Listen, that thing is already lined up for an Oscar and numerous other major television awards solely on the basis of it being the Last of Us in some people's minds already. Plus they got the Mandalorian star.. forget about it lol. You won't be able to tell them nothing when that series drops.

So it's interesting that the idea of a Halo show actually being really good is such a stretch. Halo only has over a decades worth of stories, characters and lore from which to draw from.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
There are legit people in here likely not watching the show, but are saying it sucks over Xbox, and you know it.c

It is not dumb writing because Kai-125 is a Petty Officer First Class who was given a direct order by an officer with the rank of Commander. Miranda as a Naval Officer at the rank of Commander outranks even the Master Chief himself. She's only a single rank below her father, who is a Captain.

The first thing Kai tried to do was obey Master Chief's orders. She got on Miranda's ship and immediately suggested to Miranda they needed to get the ship out of there because they have no air support. She was then countered by Miranda who directly told her that she's not leaving, and that Kai is to join the fight, to which she Kai obeyed. But before Kai dared risk being seen as going against a direct order from the Master Chief, she first sought out the Master Chief's direct approval of her joining the fight by presenting herself before him and saying simply "Chief" basically seeking his explicit permission, a permission he immediately then granted by issuing her orders to "stay back with the marines and keep us covered."

The writing is all on point if you pay close attention to the details. Master Chief also issued those orders to her at a time when they likely weren't expecting a Covenant assault as relentless as the one that showed up. They expected a smaller Covenant force, one they would simply overwhelm with all the might they had gathered in the area, but what they got instead was a much more formidable force that clearly came with such a force because they had knowledge of the importance of what they were coming to collect. The UNSC were expecting the typical covenant patrol or presence, not an organized assault led by clearly one of their very best, which appeared to be that brute they sent in.

They miscalculated that the Covenant, with help from Makee (who they still don't know much of anything about), would gain so much knowledge of their location and its importance by way of their attempt to remove the artifact.
Let me explain how writing works:
1 - you're in a comfort zone, which is the dialogue with Master Chief
2 - you create a diversion, which is the "go sit there, blondie"
3 - you develop a reason for changing this diversion, which takes time and effort; which doesn't happen because everything tooks just a few minutes to change
4 - the diversion changes and it has a payoff

So yes, it's lazy bad pacing writing

Pantz

When Master Chief takes his helmet off just seconds after the battle.

god damn it eric cartman GIF by South Park

He deserves to get taken out by a lone grunt that wasn't dead.
Only kidding, but it's annoying every time.

Let me explain how writing works:
1 - you're in a comfort zone, which is the dialogue with Master Chief
2 - you create a diversion, which is the "go sit there, blondie"
3 - you develop a reason for changing this diversion, which takes time and effort; which doesn't happen because everything tooks just a few minutes to change
4 - the diversion changes and it has a payoff

So yes, it's lazy bad pacing writing

You were lazy by not taking the time to learn about the Halo Universe extended fiction and what it's all about beyond just the games. If you did that you would have known how storytelling is done in the Halo Universe extended fiction. What's present in this TV Series so far is the kind of stuff we get from the best books.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
You were lazy by not taking the time to learn about the Halo Universe extended fiction and what it's all about beyond just the games. If you did that you would have known how storytelling is done in the Halo Universe extended fiction. What's present in this TV Series so far is the kind of stuff we get from the best books.
And that concerns us about the China tea because

Does this show intermittently run at ~15fps on the Xbox Paramount app for anyone else? It stutters so much it is almost unwatchable. Maybe it's my fault for having subtitles on?

So what's the bet Ep6 has little to no action and we're back on Kwan's bullshit for half the episode? I hope it really starts picking up the pace post Ep5 and gives us far more Covenent and Chief/Cortana/Halsey than anything else.

RPS37

So much boring, shitty, unnecessary, non-canon exposition.
I just wanna see Spartans and jackals and grunts and brutes going at it.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
I want to hate this, and there's definitely a million reason why I should, but I find myself eagerly waiting for the next episode each week like back in the old days.

Episode 6 ended strong, and the subtle halo theme cues dropping went they were at "that place" got the feels going.

I read the books, played all the games and love the universe. I guess I'm just happy they finally made this after waiting for something for so long. Could it be better, absolutely but I'm a glass half full guy. Let's see where this goes and hope that if there's a season 2, they take some of the feedback on board.

Ironbunny

Still a strong show. Really nothing to hate for me and a rare show where none of the cast annoy me. Just hope they drop the side quest crap. For a show the sounds in dolby atmos are great too. Cant wait for a next episode. Dont understand the hate for this.

At least no sign of kwan anymore. Did anyone actually wonder why the covenant would just drop this random lady of? What did she mean with 'make it look good' before they dropped her out in the previous episode. She had 0 signs of injury.

miles118

At least no sign of kwan anymore. Did anyone actually wonder why the covenant would just drop this random lady of? What did she mean with 'make it look good' before they dropped her out in the previous episode. She had 0 signs of injury.
She wants to get close to the artifact to get the location of the Halo. She also want to kill chief.

I still don't agree with the characterization for the most part, either as a Halo adaptation, or as standalone militaristic sci-fi content. But ok, they've 100% set their path and they're going with it, no course correction six episodes in, so I'll have to make my peace with it. I guess I should focus on the good?

No Kwan subplot this episode! Yay!

Top Bottom