• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TV Series | Discussion

ManaByte

SMA22Me.jpg

In its adaptation for Paramount+, HALO will take place in the universe that first came to be in 2001 with the launch of Xbox®’s first “Halo” game. Dramatizing an epic 26th-century conflict between humanity and an alien threat known as the Covenant, HALO the series will weave deeply drawn personal stories with action, adventure and a richly imagined vision of the future. The series stars Pablo Schreiber (“American Gods”) as the Master Chief, Spartan-117; Natascha McElhone (“Californication”) as Dr. Halsey, the brilliant, conflicted and inscrutable creator of the Spartan super soldiers; and Jen Taylor (“Halo” game series, RWBY) as Cortana, the most advanced AI in human history, and potentially the key to the survival of the human race. Additional stars include Bokeem Woodbine (“Fargo”), Shabana Azmi (“Fire”), Natasha Culzac (“The Witcher”), Olive Gray (“Half Moon Investigations”), Yerin Ha (“Reef Break”), Bentley Kalu (“Avengers: Age of Ultron”), Kate Kennedy (“Catastrophe”), Charlie Murphy (“Peaky Blinders”) and Danny Sapani (“Penny Dreadful”).

Series premieres Thursday, March 24th on Paramount+. New episodes each week. Series has already been renewed for a second season.

Lone Wolf

T-Mobile gave us free Paramount + for a year, so I will check it out. I would not have paid otherwise and I have zero faith that this show will be any good.

SegaShack

Hated it. No action.

FuD was decent and enjoyed it.

I fear we're not getting an action packed quick moving show this time around. I fear the good parts of the trailer are few and far between and not all in the first episode, bait and switch sort of thing.
I hated it too, was so corny and generic.

ZehDon

how bad is it ?

i heard people involved in this never played the games...
Well, the people involved with the games told them not to, because the Show writers needed to "... express a story and build the world through their eyes". Which is, apparently, why we're getting a large amount of lore changes, and why Master Chief is in a side role, with the main character being the girl in the trailer.

According to some of the leaks, the girl in the trailer discovers she has some kind of special powers, and she will be central to defending humanity in the show. Given what I've seen and read, I suspect Master Chief will be falling victim to the Worf Effect.

sol_bad

I don't think the game needs to be played to make a Halo show but they should at least look at art assets, art books and the lore to understand the world.

SJRB

Gold Member
From the showrunners who said they deliberately did not play or look at the games so it wouldn't taint their view on what this show is supposed to be.

Catastrophe incoming.

GymWolf

From the showrunners who said they deliberately did not play or look at the games so it wouldn't taint their view on what this show is supposed to be.

Catastrophe incoming.
That is the most moronic thing i heard in a while...

And we had a topic about how good is to have motion pro turned on during gaming like a month ago...

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Catastrophe incoming.
And changing Master Chief's background and having him parade around helmless to show his emotions is so a headscratcher.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Wish they'd just drop $90M into Blur Studios pocket and make a full CGI movie/show instead. Literally all those H2A assets were ready to go IMO, just extend a story out and bring the action.

6-ish hours to go and I reserve judgement while trying to go in open minded. To paraphrase Jason Jones "we are the jaded crowd".

The_hunter

It's not looking good. I wanted this to be good.

I can't watch this if they remove the chief's helmet.

Last edited:

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
I loved episode 1. First thing first though don’t expect any similarity to the games universe. Go in expecting it to be it’s own thing.

To me it gives me vibes of what if you mashed up RoboCop with Halo. It works surprisingly well I feel too as long as like I said you don’t expect the main universe to remotely match up with it.

I for one can’t wait to see where it goes because who knows where this thing is going.

BaneIsPain

It feels generic and bland, but then I’m not huge halo fans. So, maybe it resonates with the hardcore fans? Honestly, it feels like watching 2010s series (of course, this is a bit exaggeration).

Thirty7ven

Banned
Halo is a mega hit sci fi franchise highly inspired by Aliens, where an armored mysterious super soldier and his buddy A.I are the best hope humanity has against an alien force?

Oh I know, I got it, hold my beer, we will make a TV show about female empowerment where the main character is a young woman that has super powers because people love marvel.

Last edited:
Hmmm, first episode was a bit hit and miss. I'll let it sink in before I attempt a full write up.
Same what I thought. Sadly it seems the show will go focus on that asian girl and bullshit internal fights instead of fighting the covenant.

That said, I hate master chief in this. His voice sucks and he talks way to much. Even making jokes. Ruined the character. Even took the helmet of in episode 1 lol.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Screen_Shot_2022_03_18_at_1.20.33_PM.0.png

Hey everyone. The first episode of the Halo TV Series has released! What were your thoughts about it?

I will try to keep updating this thread if the moderation so desires.

Season 1, Episode 1: Contact

• Directed By: N/A
  • Written By: N/A
  • Airs: March 24th, 2022

Where to watch

Game Pass members can get a 30 day trial of Paramount Plus. More info here: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/03/14/halo-the-series-story-trailer-releases-today/

Previous Episode Discussion Hub

• Halo - The TV Series - Season 1, Episode 1
  • Halo - The TV Series - Season 1, Episode 2
  • Halo - The TV Series - Season 1, Episode 3
  • Halo - The TV Series - Season 1, Episode 4
  • Halo - The TV Series - Season 1, Episode 5
  • Halo - The TV Series - Season 1, Episode 6
  • Halo - The TV Series - Season 1, Episode 7
  • Halo - The TV Series - Season 1, Episode 8
  • Halo - The TV Series - Season 1, Episode 9

Important Links

Reviews

Rotten Tomatoes - 61% Critic Scores - 81% Audience Scores

7XSZuSl.jpg

IMDB 6.2/10.0 (Average)

VNdelQ7.jpg

Last edited:

CuNi

Wait it airs weekly? Maybe I'm just used to the Netflix style drop of a whole season. Was about to sub and binge the series but if it's just one episode a week ima hold off till it's finished.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Wait it airs weekly? Maybe I'm just used to the Netflix style drop of a whole season. Was about to sub and binge the series but if it's just one episode a week ima hold off till it's finished.
Agreed, I hate weekly drops. Will watch this tonight however and report back with my expert critique. Expecting to hate it, but hoping to be surprised.

TheZink

I’ve watched about 40 min so far. It’s not great. Not horrible.

I have to admit it put a smile on my face when the Spartans first drop in.

Top Bottom