• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TV Showrunner to Exit Paramount Plus Series After Season 1

Dacon

Banned
Johnson is a blatant african americsn drill sargent stereotype, it's basically his whole character. He's a carbon copy of the guy in Alien, even down to the cigar. Change HIS skin color, and you change his entire character. It's different. Very different.

Keyes is a very blatant hardass white military man commander stereotype who carries himself in a very businesslike manner, with a uncompromising demeanor. It's basically his whole character, change his skin color and you change his whole character.

It's not different dude, either race matters or it doesn't. You're twisting yourself into pretzels to defend your double standard.

I'm not asserting anything

Yes, you are. Whining and bitching about something that does not matter.

If this was a series about Robin Hood and lillte John was made black (not like that ever happened, am i right?), then I'd see your point. Different times, black people were few and far between in europe at that time.

But in space, hundreds of years from now? Gtfo. Doesn't matter. Their skin color has jack shit to do with their characters. This is not a Lance Reddick playing Wesker situation.

You are literally asserting yourself right here.

, I just don't find any of your arguments convincing, while you act like I'm talking down the entire board,while I've only talked to you, and maybe one other person initially.

You don't need to be.

I'm saying my opinion, and until someone can provide arguments that convinces me otherwise, it's not gonna change just because you would like it to.

You made a deliberate point of attack and demeaning someone else's opinion on this, which is what I take issue with.

Anyways. It's pretty clear we're not gonna see eye to eye on this, so I don't see any point in taking this any further.

Yeah especially when you active give no consideration as to why this matters to people. Especially when they repeatedly tell you why they feel the way they do and you actively invalidate and dismiss those reasons.

Kimahri

Banned
Keyes is a very blatant hardass white military man commander stereotype who carries himself in a very businesslike manner, with a uncompromising demeanor. It's basically his whole character, change his skin color and you change his whole character.

It's not different dude, either race matters or it doesn't. You're twisting yourself into pretzels to defend your double standard.

You are literally asserting yourself right here.

You don't need to be.

You made a deliberate point of attack and demeaning someone else's opinion on this, which is what I take issue with.

Yeah especially when you active give no consideration as to why this matters to people. Especially when they repeatedly tell you why they feel the way they do and you actively invalidate and dismiss those reasons.
I like how you went from attacking my opinion, to attacking me. You should have led with that last part, maybe it would have had any sort of impact then.

highrider

Banned
It doesn't need delegitimizing since it's narrow minded nonsense to begin with. Race bending in adaptations have been done for decades, but now if it happens it's woke and whatever.

These are secondary characters. Most Halo gamers would struggle to remember exactly who they are. It's irrelevant and doesn't mean anything.

People have switched both sex and skin color in adaptations for decades, it's nothing new. What does it matter anyway? It's not like ethnicity is a focal point in the Halo games.

Man I’m amazed you’re able to mentally inhabit millions of people and know what they know and need, and the core reasons that motivate them. I can’t help but wonder why you would spend time on forums, given your godlike powers and all. If Dacon wasn’t able to turn that switch in your head to see how stupid you sound I’m not sure I can help bro.

Last edited:

CuNi

I like how you went from attacking my opinion, to attacking me. You should have led with that last part, maybe it would have had any sort of impact then.

It's amazing how you keep claiming that stuff about the Keyes being secondary characters and spewing shit like "nobody brought forth any other good arguments" yet it feels like half the posts in here are people saying that they are major characters and they very much do care for those characters.

Please don't start a argument on a forum if you're unable to face the fact you might be wrong and get corrected. People gave you legitimate reasons why this race swap is a issue, and Dacon even went above and beyond to disprove you and your multitude of "arguments", yet you refuse to acknowledge any of that and continue claiming to speak for a fanbase that you probably barely are a part off because you played some halo game once or twice in multiplayer.

Race swapping is stupid no matter what gets turned into what. There were so many ways they could have explored and brought in new characters to the story to include more ethnicities, yet they chose to just take existing characters and swap those out for "good guy" points.

The show ain't even out yet and and that, bundled together with the news that the show runner already announced he won't be coming back for a second season, already paints a bleak outlook for the series, which honestly is a shame as it really had potential.

Lets see your reaction when the next Shaft remake happens to have a white actor portraying the character.
make it this guy!!

7J5OqWt.jpg

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In case you missed it, the long-gestating Halo television show that was once set to premiere on Showtime ended up moving to the streaming service Paramount+, previously known as CBS All Access, earlier this year. During a recent TCA panel, Showtime indicated that the move was for the best for all involved with Paramount+ ending up with the Halo Show and Showtime getting The Man Who Fell to Earth, which was previously being developed for Paramount+.

"Look, we love Halo, and we have great affection for it, and [Paramount+ is] a good fit, because we continue on as the studio so we're going to be intimately involved with the creative and the production of it," Showtime Networks President of Entertainment Jana Winograde said at the panel, according to GameSpot. "But the truth is that it was always a bit of an outlier for us in terms of its fit in the Showtime universe. We did an amazing job of imbuing into the series, the character drama that we're so well known for. But at the end of the day, it is a big, broad, big-tent show. So when Paramount+ came into being, it really was a natural fit there."

"We started developing Halo seven years ago when there was no Paramount+ or even the glimmer of an idea about it," said Showtime Networks' other President of Entertainment Gary Levine at the same panel, "and it was always a bit of an odd fit, you know? What is Showtime doing taking a video game--a first-person shooter video game--and putting it in their dramas?"

In case you missed it, the long-gestating Halo television show that was once set to premiere on Showtime ended up moving to the streaming service Paramount+, previously known as CBS All Access, earlier this year. During a recent TCA panel, Showtime indicated that the move was for the best for all involved with Paramount+ ending up with the Halo Show and Showtime getting The Man Who Fell to Earth, which was previously being developed for Paramount+.

"Look, we love Halo, and we have great affection for it, and [Paramount+ is] a good fit, because we continue on as the studio so we're going to be intimately involved with the creative and the production of it," Showtime Networks President of Entertainment Jana Winograde said at the panel, according to GameSpot. "But the truth is that it was always a bit of an outlier for us in terms of its fit in the Showtime universe. We did an amazing job of imbuing into the series, the character drama that we're so well known for. But at the end of the day, it is a big, broad, big-tent show. So when Paramount+ came into being, it really was a natural fit there."

"We started developing Halo seven years ago when there was no Paramount+ or even the glimmer of an idea about it," said Showtime Networks' other President of Entertainment Gary Levine at the same panel, "and it was always a bit of an odd fit, you know? What is Showtime doing taking a video game--a first-person shooter video game--and putting it in their dramas?"
Seems like it's a good fit.

Why do people take issue with the casting of black and brown people? That's what this is about, isn't it?
Yeah totally you're getting it man. Just like how I don't want Master Chief to be 4 feet tall and Cortana to be a man. Totally not because they don't look like that in the last 20 years of games, but because I have issue with the casting of little people and men.

Last edited:

7 fucking years and nothing shown. It's like groundhog day with 343, without the comedy.

Yeah totally you're getting it man. Just like how I don't want Master Chief to be 4 feet tall and Cortana to be a man. Totally not because they don't look like that in the last 20 years of games, but because I have issue with the casting of little people and men.

Worst, most cowardly spin attempt ever. I've been seeing this dumb pattern in thread after thread, talking about woke this, woke that. The very presence of a black female in Redfall and it's "here we go, woke characters", see a black female lead in Saints Row and you see the same shit there too. You find the same crap across a range of game topics and other media topics. I've seen it regarding a development studio's ethnic or gender makeup, especially if god forbid they should be proud of having a diverse and multicultural team. You got people who know jack shit speaking on the ability or skillset of people in a development studio solely based on the color of their skin or if it's a woman instead of a white male. Too many females? "Yep, there's the problem with the game right there. No wonder." They make a post about how proud they are of their diversity and maybe spotlight a specific black employee? "This makes me sick. Why don't they hire based on who is the best person for the job?" This is a pattern many on this site are familiar with because you see it all the time. I sometimes tell myself it can't always be that these folks are really this ignorant because somehow you don't seem to see any of this when they learn that the lead combat designer for God of War, for years even before the reboot, is in fact himself a black man, so it must be the usual console wars bs, till you realize it isn't.

People will simply put aside their ignorance for their favorite franchises from their favorite videogame companies from time to time, but given an opportunity they reveal they truly are that ignorant. I've seen threads made focusing on showing a group picture of all the women in 343, or focusing on showing a development studio back when it was all Asian men, to now when it's apparently more diverse.

You folks ain't slick at all. Try to dance around it all you like, but I know exactly what you mean when you talk about having issues with casting. Captain Keyes is black, you don't like it, even though for the role we know him to play in the Halo universe, it literally changes nothing at all. It comes down to the performance, always has. Nick Fury from the Marvel Comics was a white man originally if I'm not mistaken, and now Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury has become immensely popular and synonymous with the Nick Fury character. He IS Nick Fury at this point. Many also actually criticized the initial casting of Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man many years ago (though many deny it today) Can anyone seriously now argue against that being legendary casting now? I don't know how many times it needs to be proven that casting decisions alone don't tell the full story. If the writing, acting and storytelling are top notch with a budget to match, things can get really interesting.

CuNi

Worst, most cowardly spin attempt ever. I've been seeing this dumb pattern in thread after thread, talking about woke this, woke that. The very presence of a black female in Redfall and it's "here we go, woke characters", see a black female lead in Saints Row and you see the same shit there too. You find the same crap across a range of game topics and other media topics. I've seen it regarding a development studio's ethnic or gender makeup, especially if god forbid they should be proud of having a diverse and multicultural team. You got people who know jack shit speaking on the ability or skillset of people in a development studio solely based on the color of their skin or if it's a woman instead of a white male. Too many females? "Yep, there's the problem with the game right there. No wonder." They make a post about how proud they are of their diversity and maybe spotlight a specific black employee? "This makes me sick. Why don't they hire based on who is the best person for the job?" This is a pattern many on this site are familiar with because you see it all the time. I sometimes tell myself it can't always be that these folks are really this ignorant because somehow you don't seem to see any of this when they learn that the lead combat designer for God of War, for years even before the reboot, is in fact himself a black man, so it must be the usual console wars bs, till you realize it isn't.

People will simply put aside their ignorance for their favorite franchises from their favorite videogame companies from time to time, but given an opportunity they reveal they truly are that ignorant. I've seen threads made focusing on showing a group picture of all the women in 343, or focusing on showing a development studio back when it was all Asian men, to now when it's apparently more diverse.

You folks ain't slick at all. Try to dance around it all you like, but I know exactly what you mean when you talk about having issues with casting. Captain Keyes is black, you don't like it, even though for the role we know him to play in the Halo universe, it literally changes nothing at all. It comes down to the performance, always has. Nick Fury from the Marvel Comics was a white man originally if I'm not mistaken, and now Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury has become immensely popular and synonymous with the Nick Fury character. He IS Nick Fury at this point. Many also actually criticized the initial casting of Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man many years ago (though many deny it today) Can anyone seriously now argue against that being legendary casting now? I don't know how many times it needs to be proven that casting decisions alone don't tell the full story. If the writing, acting and storytelling are top notch with a budget to match, things can get really interesting.

I'd say if anyone wants to spin anything it's you.
All this thread was about is that it is stupid to gender oder ethnicity swap existing characters without any reason.
Marvel and DC did it and explained it with the Multiverse and even included the Multiverse as a Story-Point where different Universes even meet (See upcoming Spiderman Movie).
Halo isn't that. Halo has 1 Universe, 1 Story and 1 Set of Characters and it is stupid beyond belief to just take a established white Character and whiz around the "Blackening Wand" just so you can insert a PoC into a role.
Literally no one would have had a Issue if they would have introduced a major character and he would be black. The issue is not with employing PoC, but changing Cast and Characters just for the sake of pleasing the SJW Crowd and get "good guy" points because they "hire a repressed minority".

If you can't see the issue in that, than that is okay because that only means you haven't played the games a lot or cared about the story. But please stop trying to berate people who care about the Game-Lore call out bullshit practices like this when there would have been literally a thousand better handled ways to include PoC and more.

I'd say if anyone wants to spin anything it's you.
All this thread was about is that it is stupid to gender oder ethnicity swap existing characters without any reason.
Marvel and DC did it and explained it with the Multiverse and even included the Multiverse as a Story-Point where different Universes even meet (See upcoming Spiderman Movie).
Halo isn't that. Halo has 1 Universe, 1 Story and 1 Set of Characters and it is stupid beyond belief to just take a established white Character and whiz around the "Blackening Wand" just so you can insert a PoC into a role.
Literally no one would have had a Issue if they would have introduced a major character and he would be black. The issue is not with employing PoC, but changing Cast and Characters just for the sake of pleasing the SJW Crowd and get "good guy" points because they "hire a repressed minority".

If you can't see the issue in that, than that is okay because that only means you haven't played the games a lot or cared about the story. But please stop trying to berate people who care about the Game-Lore call out bullshit practices like this when there would have been literally a thousand better handled ways to include PoC and more.

"Blackening Wand" and "just so you can insert a PoC into a role."

Thanks for proving my point. So he got the role just because he was black, not because he's talented or qualified enough to play the role, not because he likely did the best job convincing the show runners he deserves to have the role. This isn't like Master Chief being made into a black person, this is Captain Keyes. Keyes ethnicity changes nothing.

Keyes dies relatively early into Halo CE also, had his part in "Halo: The Fall of Reach" novel, and then the Halo universe more or less continues forward without him. So if they can take such a well respected character and give fans a chance to see him in a different way, to provide an expanded look into who he was and the relationship with Miranda, I don't see what's wrong with any of that.

And that marvel multiverse excuse is weak because there were countless movies in the MCU released without the multiverse ever actually being a thing. They made their own choices that they felt worked best for the stories they wanted to tell, and went ahead with them. The multiverse aspects just plays perfectly now into what will be a major blockbuster hit by tying together all the major motion picture spider-man actors and villains into one guaranteed billion dollar hit. And then it's the perfect way to involve and bring in the mutants, likely bring back a huge fan favorite in hugh jackman's wolverine etc. It's a clever way forward for the MCU, but let's not act as if the countless movies we've been getting from the jump all started out leaning into the multiverse. They didn't.

Yoboman

WTF is a Showtime Universe? They all want to be Disney so bad

CuNi

"Blackening Wand" and "just so you can insert a PoC into a role."

Thanks for proving my point. So he got the role just because he was black, not because he's talented or qualified enough to play the role, not because he likely did the best job convincing the show runners he deserves to have the role. This isn't like Master Chief being made into a black person, this is Captain Keyes. Keyes ethnicity changes nothing.

Keyes dies relatively early into Halo CE also, had his part in "Halo: The Fall of Reach" novel, and then the Halo universe more or less continues forward without him. So if they can take such a well respected character and give fans a chance to see him in a different way, to provide an expanded look into who he was and the relationship with Miranda, I don't see what's wrong with any of that.

And that marvel multiverse excuse is weak because there were countless movies in the MCU released without the multiverse ever actually being a thing. They made their own choices that they felt worked best for the stories they wanted to tell, and went ahead with them. The multiverse aspects just plays perfectly now into what will be a major blockbuster hit by tying together all the major motion picture spider-man actors and villains into one guaranteed billion dollar hit. And then it's the perfect way to involve and bring in the mutants, likely bring back a huge fan favorite in hugh jackman's wolverine etc. It's a clever way forward for the MCU, but let's not act as if the countless movies we've been getting from the jump all started out leaning into the multiverse. They didn't.

lol I didn't prove your point anywhere. You have been crying that people rage over Movies having black people or insult female only dev pictures.
I said those things are stupid. The Creativity of a developer or the skill of a actor is neither his color or gender.

But being a good actor does not mean he should get a role depicting a character that is not written for him.
I am sorry to break it to you, but skin color and gender still are a thing, no matter how much you want us all to be equal. By your logic, if they cast 20 roles with 10 of them being females and the best 20 actors were all men, than they should also play the roles that were intended as females? Because obviously according to your statement, they should get the job because they were the best at the casting. That's not how this works and you know it. If he was so good, and I don't deny him being good, they could have easily just written a new role that he can play the way he is. It doesn't make sense to change a established character just because the actor was good. What kind of continuity does this create? So he is going to be black in this Series, but if a better actor comes along, he'll be white next Season? Then Mexican? By Season 4 maybe Asian? That would be a laugh stock of a development and be insulting to the actors AND the fans alike.

There is nothing to argue about it here and I honestly don't know why we do it. He has black Skin and they want him to play a established white character. Stupid. Period.
They could have just as easily wrote in another character that he can play.

lol I didn't prove your point anywhere. You have been crying that people rage over Movies having black people or insult female only dev pictures.
I said those things are stupid. The Creativity of a developer or the skill of a actor is neither his color or gender.

But being a good actor does not mean he should get a role depicting a character that is not written for him.
I am sorry to break it to you, but skin color and gender still are a thing, no matter how much you want us all to be equal. By your logic, if they cast 20 roles with 10 of them being females and the best 20 actors were all men, than they should also play the roles that were intended as females? Because obviously according to your statement, they should get the job because they were the best at the casting. That's not how this works and you know it. If he was so good, and I don't deny him being good, they could have easily just written a new role that he can play the way he is. It doesn't make sense to change a established character just because the actor was good. What kind of continuity does this create? So he is going to be black in this Series, but if a better actor comes along, he'll be white next Season? Then Mexican? By Season 4 maybe Asian? That would be a laugh stock of a development and be insulting to the actors AND the fans alike.

There is nothing to argue about it here and I honestly don't know why we do it. He has black Skin and they want him to play a established white character. Stupid. Period.
They could have just as easily wrote in another character that he can play.

People keep dancing around bigotry by bringing up stupid scenarios that nobody is even calling for nor defending. First it was someone mentioning a midget playing a 7 footer, as if they don't already play with people's heights in movies already, or like we all didn't see Peter Dinklage be more than twice as tall as Thor in Infinity War. "But HE PLAYED A DWARF!" you'll say, like nobody else can play a dwarf.

Now you're talking about 10 roles meant to be played by females being played by men just because the men were better actors. That isn't at all the same thing as them casting one man in the place of another man where the color of his skin is irrelevant to his significance in the Halo universe If the best actor THEY could find to play Keyes turned out to be a black actor. Jacob Keyes strength as a character has NOTHING to do with him being white, black, Indian or whatever. And considering it's already not a direct cut and paste take from the games, Keyes is whoever the hell the showrunners say he is.

Keyes being a white man isn't essential to the role he plays in the Halo Universe. Perhaps the only characters I'd even draw the line at would be Cortana, Master Chief, Dr. Halsey, Sgt. Johnson and members of Blue Team largely because they've been part of the series so long and from the very beginning. And we've technically never even seen Master Chief's face anyway (still don't consider Halo 4 as us seeing his face)

If you think Captain Keyes' story or character can only be told from the perspective of a white actor, then you don't know damn thing about the Halo universe. I know there are plenty of talented actors who can play keyes, and I personally if given a choice would have picked a capable white actor to play keyes only because I know him to be a white man, but if the people running the show felt that this man was the best person for the job, who am I to question it till I see what he can do? I don't know how good of an actor he is, or even how good he will be in this role. But what I do know for a fact is that a white actor as Jacob Keyes doesn't automatically guarantee better, same as a black actor doesn't automatically guarantee better.

Everybody else outside of that core group I mentioned can be interchangeable as far as I'm concerned or as the best casting dictates. Nobody is advocating a woman play a role clearly written for a man. Nobody is advocating a man play a role clearly written for a woman, so people like you can drop that line. You know exactly what the hell I'm talking about, but you people like you seem afraid to say what you really want to say. But the good news is you don't have to. I know who I'm dealing with. The blacks aren't taking away your culture or threatening your whiteness or anything just because a white male fictional character from a videogame and book is now being portrayed by a black man in a fictional universe. The way some of you are acting, you'd think they made Bull Connor black or some shit. The Halo TV series will not threaten your white heritage, I assure you of that.

CuNi

People keep dancing around bigotry by bringing up stupid scenarios that nobody is even calling for nor defending. First it was someone mentioning a midget playing a 7 footer, as if they don't already play with people's heights in movies already, or like we all didn't see Peter Dinklage be more than twice as tall as Thor in Infinity War. "But HE PLAYED A DWARF!" you'll say, like nobody else can play a dwarf.

Now you're talking about 10 roles meant to be played by females being played by men just because the men were better actors. That isn't at all the same thing as them casting one man in the place of another man where the color of his skin is irrelevant to his significance in the Halo universe If the best actor THEY could find to play Keyes turned out to be a black actor. Jacob Keyes strength as a character has NOTHING to do with him being white, black, Indian or whatever. And considering it's already not a direct cut and paste take from the games, Keyes is whoever the hell the showrunners say he is.

Keyes being a white man isn't essential to the role he plays in the Halo Universe. Perhaps the only characters I'd even draw the line at would be Cortana, Master Chief, Dr. Halsey, Sgt. Johnson and members of Blue Team largely because they've been part of the series so long and from the very beginning. And we've technically never even seen Master Chief's face anyway (still don't consider Halo 4 as us seeing his face)

If you think Captain Keyes' story or character can only be told from the perspective of a white actor, then you don't know damn thing about the Halo universe. I know there are plenty of talented actors who can play keyes, and I personally if given a choice would have picked a capable white actor to play keyes only because I know him to be a white man, but if the people running the show felt that this man was the best person for the job, who am I to question it till I see what he can do? I don't know how good of an actor he is, or even how good he will be in this role. But what I do know for a fact is that a white actor as Jacob Keyes doesn't automatically guarantee better, same as a black actor doesn't automatically guarantee better.

Everybody else outside of that core group I mentioned can be interchangeable as far as I'm concerned or as the best casting dictates. Nobody is advocating a woman play a role clearly written for a man. Nobody is advocating a man play a role clearly written for a woman, so people like you can drop that line. You know exactly what the hell I'm talking about, but you people like you seem afraid to say what you really want to say. But the good news is you don't have to. I know who I'm dealing with. The blacks aren't taking away your culture or threatening your whiteness or anything just because a white male fictional character from a videogame and book is now being portrayed by a black man in a fictional universe. The way some of you are acting, you'd think they made Bull Connor black or some shit. The Halo TV series will not threaten your white heritage, I assure you of that.

See, that's the thing you don't understand.
We're not arguing about "He can't play the Character of Keyes better than a white person because he is black!". Maybe he can! Maybe he can't! But that doesn't change the fact, that Jakob and Miranda Keyes are established Characters that you saw on screen being white. That's all there is too it, but you seem to not be able to understand this. I wouldn't even mind having a Halo Series full of underrepresented Minorities. And this is the CORE of the problem.
The Halo Universe is by far big enough to house EVERYONE. Every human group, be it because of color, race, sexuality or whatever thing one want's to come up with to group humans together should have a equal chance to be represented, but in a FAIR way. Swapping established Characters creates conflict, as you can clearly see in this thread. Because of the Games etc. whenever I read or hear about Jakob/Miranda Keyes, I see them like they were in the games infront of my mind. If I see a black person playing him, no matter how good he playes the role, he's not "my" Keyes because the Games are Canon and in there, as long as there won't be a retcon, he is a white dude and a white gal.

Like I said, the Halo Universe is big enough to allow every actor to play a important role that he can fit in perfectly. There simply is no need to force people retroactively into roles clearly not made for them, be it because of color, height or other things.

Last edited:

I'll just repost what I said a page or two back in retort to this idea that those opposed to such changes are racist -

What are you on about? It's the establishment of characters being thrown to the side that pisses us off.

Crappy argument you have there. Johnson is a universally loved black character, no one bitched about the race.

The idea they can pass it off as another universe is weak and feels cheap. Keep some of the characters verbatim the same but change others. It wrecks the suspension of disbelief and creates a tangent character of unknown quality vs an already established and loved one.

It's not the race that bothers me, it's the cheap ass changing to gain what exactly? Just make new characters if you want to try something different.

Top Bottom