• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo1 on Switch...contracts, fanboys, publishers...delusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno the legalese of who owns what, but I love this game.

What would it take to get a Halo1 remake, or remaster, on a handheld like the Switch?

Halo1 is pretty much like Mario at this point, yeah?

Did I drink too much whiskey?

-Arcadia-

Banned
Microsoft would have to be cool with handing over one of their crown jewels to a console outside the Microsoft console/PC/Xcloud space.

It could happen, but I don’t see it being very likely. If it doesn’t tie back into Microsoft somehow, they really don’t have a ton of reason to remove selling points from the platforms they’re connected to.

Yeah, we got Hellblade, Cuphead, and Ori, but each of those developers wanted to do a Switch version, or had prior contractual obligations before the buyout.

GamerEDM

Banned
vUVlAr8.jpg

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Microsoft would have to be cool with handing over one of their crown jewels to a console outside the Microsoft console/PC/Xcloud space.

It could happen, but I don’t see it being very likely. If it doesn’t tie back into Microsoft somehow, they really don’t have a ton of reason to remove selling points from the platforms they’re connected to.

Yeah, we got Hellblade, Cuphead, and Ori, but each of those developers wanted to do a Switch version, or had prior contractual obligations before the buyout.
There once was a Halo game in development for DS, and Microsoft does seem to have developed a different philosophy regarding exclusives, compared to Sony or Nintendo. Still, I wouldn't expect to see Halo land on Switch. But it's somewhere within the realm of possibility.

-Arcadia-

Banned
There once was a Halo game in development for DS, and Microsoft does seem to have developed a different philosophy regarding exclusives, compared to Sony or Nintendo. Still, I wouldn't expect to see Halo land on Switch. But it's somewhere within the realm of possibility.

Sort of. I recall that demo was developed without Microsoft’s permission, then pitched to them at a meeting, which they turned down. Halo was being developed for DS, and you can see the footage, but never with Microsoft’s involvement.

ksdixon

You guys need that Dell UFO concept device to actually get a release, and just run the windows 10 PS4/Xbox Remote Play apps on that.

Other than that device, a laptop, or see if there's any other PCs crammed into a handheld form factor.

Last edited:
I dunno the legalese of who owns what, but I love this game.

What would it take to get a Halo1 remake, or remaster, on a handheld like the Switch?

Halo1 is pretty much like Mario at this point, yeah?

Did I drink too much whiskey?

All it would take is Microsoft being able to make a lot of money from it. Nintendo would have to gain (i.e. also make a lot of money) from having Halo on their platform.

The reality is Nintendo doesn't need Halo to sell consoles/subscriptions. So Microsoft would have to offer up more than just "Halo remake is now on your platform." Plus, Halo isn't the juggernaut that it once was. So realistically, the sales and/ profit projections for a Halo remake on Switch wouldn't be as high as you think. In other words, Nintendo can make significantly more money via their own IP (and other IP) than Halo, so they just won't give much of a fuck about it.

Stuff like Banjo or GoldenEye would probably be more valuable -- to Nintendo -- than Halo. That's less of an indictment of where Halo is at and more of a reality of the power of nostalgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom