• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hamas member arrested while filming the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
The guy was arrested on Friday but the story is just now starting to spread. I live in the Baltimore area so this is pretty freaky. I had planned on using that bridge to go to the ocean on Labor Day weekend but now I think I'll just drive through Delaware (just in case). For those of you who aren't familiar, the CBB is huge. Its several miles long and thousands upon thousands of cars can be on it at any particular time. If a terrorist group was able to take part of it out I have no doubt that hundreds of people would either die or be stranded.

Here is a link to the story:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/3677442/detail.html

What kills me is the fact that the terror alert around the bridge is only yellow. WTF? I mean I know that color crap is worthless but if they are going to have some kind of a warning system shouldn't it be a little higher? We are yellow every day. Seems to me this would qualify for at least an orange.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I fail to see how ramming a hot poker up his ass on national tv wouldn't discourage terrorism.

They should definately assign a more serious looking arbitrary color to this bridge.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
'suspected'.

Do you know how many 'suspected' terrorists have been found to have, well, absolutely no ties to anything?

Loki

Count of Concision
I just wanted to say that traversing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge was one of the most incredible experiences I've ever had. My family and I went down to Maryland when I was about 18, and I wasn't really paying attention to the scenery (I think I had a book or a crossword puzzle or something), but I happened to glance up and noticed that it looked like we were in the middle of the farking OCEAN! Seriously, it's this huge highway surrounded on all sides by water for as far as the eye can see-- it's truly a surreal experience, feeling like you're driving across an ocean. Really neat. :)

teepo

hey... i'm going to ocean city in septmeber :(

not cool news

and yeh the bridge is pretty awesome to drive on.

We always used to go to either Ocean City or Rehoboth Beach when I was little, so the the CBB brings back a lot of good vacation memories.

HE GOT
potatowned.gif
!!!! :D

NLB2

Banned
Slurpy said:
'suspected'.

Do you know how many 'suspected' terrorists have been found to have, well, absolutely no ties to anything?
IAWTP
My grandfather was Austrian American and, due to mental illness (he had bipolar disorder) he thought it would be a good idea to take pictures of bridges on the Mississippi River during WWII. He was arrested as a 'suspected saboture' and subsequently released.

Something like that could have happened with this new guy. He's of an ethnicity that is being profiled and has some really stupid idea to film a bridge. He could be completely harmless, he could be a nutcase, or he could be a terrorist.

FightyF

Banned
There's nothing wrong with a questioning process to probe into why someone would do that, but to arrest them with charges that they can't defend themselves against...that's just astonishing. I'm so glad we haven't gotten to that point in Canada.

Mau_Mau

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
There's nothing wrong with a questioning process to probe into why someone would do that, but to arrest them with charges that they can't defend themselves against...that's just astonishing. I'm so glad we haven't gotten to that point in Canada.
nothing worth blowing up in Canada.

ZING!

HAOHMARU

The CBB is like 5 miles long (or maybe it was 2?)

It is one cool bridge to ride over...and what a view. Watch out for the wind though...I had strong winds push me over one lane in my Jeep on that bridge.

Ceros

I agree with whoever said it's better safe then sorry. Those who don't agree you're justifying the lives of people driving over the bridge had something tragic happened vs the guy's so called right to be engaged in suspicious activity???

FightyF

Banned
nothing worth blowing up in Canada.

ZING!

Or rather our law enforcement understands the difference between an ethnic person and a terrorist.

ZING!

-edit-
I think it's important to give both the law enforcement officials as well as the person arrested the benefit of the doubt.

It's just that if you've read some of the news regarding people who were arrested and held for years just recently being released because they finally get a chance to participate in the justice system, it's easy to see why many of these bigger and more well known arrests don't amount to much and could be due to politics and the upcoming election.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Well for those of you quoting the word "suspected" I just want to mention that the link I provided was the only one that I could find online when the story broke. The actual news shows have gone into much more depth. The guy was on the terror watch list and he is known to have ties with Hamas. He is one of the top guys that the government has been looking for. Also, when the police pulled him over the wife was seen frantically trying to hide the tape.

One of the arresting officers was on the news. He said that when they pulled them over the wife was trying to hide the tape. He asked her to stop whatever it was she was doing and step out of the vehicle. She stepped out of the vehicle, tape in hand, and attempted to throw it into the Chesapeake Bay but the officer stopped her. This was all recorded by the camera in the highway patrolman's car.

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to call it like I see it here.

1. You have "suspected" terrorist.
2. He was found filming a bridge.
3. The police stop him and the wife tries to get rid of the evidence. Why?

I'm sorry but.... GUILTY!!!

Willco

Hollywood Square
I hate that bridge. It's too fucking long and it'll leave you to die if something goes wrong. That's why I drive over it maybe once every three years. It's a death trap waiting to happen.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
ZombieSupaStar said:
HE GOT
potatowned.gif
!!!! :D

LOL this is great!

Willco said:
I hate that bridge. It's too fucking long and it'll leave you to die if something goes wrong. That's why I drive over it maybe once every three years. It's a death trap waiting to happen.

...you think that bridge is long? Geez.

Deku Tree

JC10001 said:
What kills me is the fact that the terror alert around the bridge is only yellow. WTF?

I can understand only yellow. Normally, from what I've read, these guys do the recon (video tapes etc.) years before the actual terrorist attack. So if he was caught doing some video taping last week, there probably isn't a big risk of a terrorist attack in the next few months.

Willco

Hollywood Square
DarienA said:
...you think that bridge is long? Geez.

You think that bridge isn't long? Listen, I'm not saying it's the longest EVER or the longest IN THE WORLD, but - goddamn! - that bridge is long.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Willco said:
You think that bridge isn't long? Listen, I'm not saying it's the longest EVER or the longest IN THE WORLD, but - goddamn! - that bridge is long.

Sure it's longer than the golden gate by what... a mile and a half... but I've driven over longer... and on a sunny day it's such a gorgeous view...

Loki said:
I just wanted to say that traversing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge was one of the most incredible experiences I've ever had. My family and I went down to Maryland when I was about 18, and I wasn't really paying attention to the scenery (I think I had a book or a crossword puzzle or something), but I happened to glance up and noticed that it looked like we were in the middle of the farking OCEAN! Seriously, it's this huge highway surrounded on all sides by water for as far as the eye can see-- it's truly a surreal experience, feeling like you're driving across an ocean. Really neat. :)
Once a year in May they close one of the two spans of the bridge and let you walk across it. (A bus drives you over and then you walk back.) I did it a few years ago, and THAT was really cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom