• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hands On Impressions of Switch Oled

MachRc

I mean, I'm fine with my current launch day "hackable" Switch, but why not sell it for big bucks and just grab the vastly superior alternative?

Should I sell my CFW compatible OG Switch and buy this? Decisions, decisions...

Fuck no, dont be stupid. Atmosphere, SXOS whatever youre rocking, it would be a stupid idea to sell the pre-patched units and pickup another pretty much same fucking switch to then spend nintendo money on games.
I have two pre-patched units and a third animal crossing one for my daughter. Having two prepatched units , I would never sell.

I dont see this being jailbroken or any other switch jailbroken any time soon after the bowser fiasco

Marty-McFly

Banned

METRO UK - David Jenkins, GameCentral Editor

One race on Rainbow Road from Mario Kart shows just how much better the new screen is, especially when you see it running next to the old console models. Suddenly, the original’s colours seem faded and washed out in comparison, while the OLED’s feel vibrant and distinct. Even the more muted colours of Breath Of The Wild look more vivid. The difference is immediately obvious to anyone and while you quickly get used to it in isolation, the moment you put it back next to an older con

Last edited:
I bought one, but I'm realistic about it and I know what I'm getting. These hands on previews are all ridiculous over-exaggerations, but I also was not one of the people pissed they fell for Schreier & friends "verified source" rumor clickbait. It's a Switch with a bigger, more vivid screen.

I own the original Switch, and I'll be throwing it up on ebay as we get closer to release. I see completed listings for original Switches going for around $250, so this will be about a $100 upgrade for me.

My thought process is this: Between the games I have yet to play and the ones I keep coming back to, I easily have several hundred more hours of playtime on this platform. So for about a $100 difference I can spend all those hours enjoying a bigger nicer screen.

Zannegan

Wonder how much they got paid lol

Like how can u uptalk a handheld that just got a 0.8 inch bigger screen with oled slammed on it. i

I can't wait for the shitty speakers to be a bit lesser shit, and the excellent improvement overall from the flimsy original. Who even talks like that.

Its straight up the most lackbusting improvement u can ever imagine.
I mean, did you miss the years of hardcore Vita fans ranking its hardware over the Switch simply on the strength of the screen? Granted, there's only a few dozen of them, but clearly it's a compelling argument for some. =P

Marty-McFly

Banned
I bought one, but I'm realistic about it and I know what I'm getting. These hands on previews are all ridiculous over-exaggerations, but I also was not one of the people pissed they fell for Schreier & friends "verified source" rumor clickbait. It's a Switch with a bigger, more vivid screen.

I own the original Switch, and I'll be throwing it up on ebay as we get closer to release. I see completed listings for original Switches going for around $250, so this will be about a $100 upgrade for me.

My thought process is this: Between the games I have yet to play and the ones I keep coming back to, I easily have several hundred more hours of playtime on this platform. So for about a $100 difference I can spend all those hours enjoying a bigger nicer screen.
What aspect of the hands on previews do you find to be overexaggerated if you don't mind me asking?

I don't see a point in NOT getting it if you play it undocked most of the time.
Other than at that point the lite being cheaper and Oled costing $50 bucks more than the regular. That leaves little incentive for casuals and parents. It's even a hard sell on enthusiasts.

Now if Nintendo dropped $100 on all models ..

Marty-McFly

Banned
Other than at that point the lite being cheaper and Oled costing $50 bucks more than the regular. That leaves little incentive for casuals and parents. It's even a hard sell on enthusiasts.

Now if Nintendo dropped $100 on all models ..
You're speaking as if Switch is not on pace to be the best selling platform ever and they need to drop the price.

And also that the OLED is not going to sell gangbusters. Of course it will.

People doubting Switch at this point.

giphy.gif

Sure let me plunk out another couple hundred for oled switch, and 70 more for some joycons due to drift, nintendo is greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedy

mcjmetroid

You're speaking as if Switch is not on pace to be the best selling platform ever and they need to drop the price.

giphy.gif
OLED won't sell gangbusters.
The switch will continue to sell but not with the OLED model.

Shoulda been :

Switch lite $179
Switch $250
Switch oled $300

Tempted by the upgrade but the price is a bit eye raising for the tech ,to me.

mcjmetroid

It will not only do gangbusters and be sold out for months but also eventually replace the standard Switch.
You're basing this on the fact that the Switch is doing so well already?

Well, I think this OLED model will sell reasonably well but won't overtake the original Switch at any point and won't sell " gangbusters" on its own. We may never know the sales of this particular model bacause they'll never lump the sales all together.

MY reasoning for why OLED won't be a success?
Casual fans don't know what an OLED is and won't be able to see any meaningful difference unless they see it in stores for themselves. Covid times probably ensures that may not happen.

Super hardcore will buy it of course, and scalpers, you're already seeing all the overly enthusiastic hands on impressions from the usual suspects saying it's the next coming of Christ even though... It's very clearly not..even without a hands-on.

Regular hardcore Nintendo fans are majorally disappointed with this upgrade.

I think scalpers and the super hardcore will buy this Generally. Nobody else.

MagnesG

Banned

Well, I think this OLED model will sell reasonably well but won't overtake the original Switch at any point and won't sell " gangbusters" on its own. We may never know the sales of this particular model bacause they'll never lump the sales all together.

Casual fans don't know what an OLED is and won't be able to see any meaningful difference unless they see it in stores for themselves. Covid times probably ensures that may not happen.

Super hardcore will buy it of course, and scalpers, you're already seeing all the overly enthusiastic hands on impressions from the usual suspects saying it's the next coming of Christ even though... It's very clearly not..even without a hands-on.

How many times have you been wrong about Switch predictions before though?

Normally I get excited about this, but I think the Switch is just fine as it is. It just seems like it would waste a perfectly good piece of hardware for small benefits.

mcjmetroid

How many times have you been wrong about Switch predictions before though?
0. Did we get a Switch Pro?

I would say not.

Edit:
Well ok - I didn't think they'd any revision of Switch until switch 2 was released.
But I absolutely didn't think a pro 4k thing would be announced. People went nuts on that train.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
"Looks like a rezzed-up PC port." It's the same resolution as the original with lower PPI. GTFO.

Was thinking the exact same thing......clearly just making up good crap to say. I'm sure the oled looks better, but not "like a rezzed-up pc port".

Marty-McFly

Banned

I'm basing it on the fact that premium models generally do very well in the gaming space, and that a clearly better, bigger screen will be seen as bigger upgrade to casual consumers than specs, which they know nothing and care little about, and something they can immediately see as the hardware looks better. The hardcore will adopt the first models, which will be sold out for months, and it's popularity will spread through the casuals who will be enticed when they see more and more in circulation. Then eventually it won't matter when Nintendo replaces the standard Switch with OLED models because it will become the de facto sku by default.

One of the things people don't consider with Switch, is that unlike home platforms, people bring them to schools and places of work and do a lot of the advertising to casuals for Nintendo, which is a large part of Switch's success.

Last edited:

eNT1TY

With all the money Nintendo saves on marketing they could have certainly afforded to keep this model the same price.

giphy.gif
You just post that same picture every time someone makes a point that you don't have a good counter argument for?

Zannegan

0. Did we get a Switch Pro?

I would say not.

Edit:
Well ok - I didn't think they'd any revision of Switch until switch 2 was released.
But I absolutely didn't think a pro 4k thing would be announced. People went nuts on that train.
I always thought Foux-K (as is the preferred term on GAF, I believe) or DLSS upscaling to 4K was juuust possible with a modest upgrade to the base hardware. Native 4K, even for Switch games, would have taken a generational leap. Oh well.

Now watch them put out the modest upgrade plus DLSS as their next gen offering. Lol.

Marty-McFly

Banned
You just post that same picture every time someone makes a point that you don't have a good counter argument for?
The argument was that Switch OLED was going to be a tough sell and that Nintendo should drop the price of all models by $100.

My counter argument was that Switch is on pace to break the sales record for best selling platform ever.

I'd say that's a pretty good counter argument that Nintendo shouldn't drop the price of any of their SKU's and that a premium SKU will most likely do exceedingly well.:messenger_ok:

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned

Portable mode, the true potential of OLED Switch

"With almost the same dimensions as the original model, the OLED Switch feels like a more Premium product in the hands. This is mainly due to the fact that black borders on the screen have been virtually eliminated in order to increase its size from the original 6.2 ”to the 7 ”current. To replace the LCD screen with a YOU ARE It was not necessary to carry out a major redesign of the console, but simply took advantage of the black sides to considerably expand the useful screen space.

As soon as we press the POWER button and the console menu welcomes us, we know immediately that something has changed. We tested games like The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey to see if everything looks better, colors shine brighter and textures sharper. The laptop resolution is still 720p, yes, but the OLED screen really makes a difference from the base version.

We give you a couple of examples to understand it better. We all remember the epic start of Breath of the Wild: Link awakening, his first glimpse into the wide world waiting to be explored and his first steps in those green hills full of promise and opportunity. If this sensation was already unique with the original Switch, in the case of having the OLED in hand it multiplies. On the one hand due to the larger screen width, something that is always appreciated, but on the other is the fact that that characteristic haze that covers part of the game’s scenarios is diminished to a certain extent thanks to the graphic capabilities that the new screen provides.

It is not that the game itself has undergone any revision, but that the improvements of this revised model elevate the experience to a new level. Something like what would happen if we watched a movie on a TV with a simple screen and then enjoyed it again on a TV with an OLED screen. The difference is evident. And not only in Zelda, but also in other titles like Super Mario Odyssey. In their first world, lunar and dark, the black colors stand out more strongly and textures appear somewhat more defined. Of course, the iconic red cap of the protagonist also stands out more, since the colors shine more brightly."

mcjmetroid

I always thought Foux-K (as is the preferred term on GAF, I believe) or DLSS upscaling to 4K was juuust possible with a modest upgrade to the base hardware. Native 4K, even for Switch games, would have taken a generational leap. Oh well.

Now watch them put out the modest upgrade plus DLSS as their next gen offering. Lol.
This was one of the things I argued at the time. If it's such a massive upgrade don't you think they'd wait for the Switch sequel lol

mcjmetroid

The console is a scam and reviews are usual Nintendo shills.
I think my biggest issue is something like the Switch OLED selling extremely well is it's a BAD precident for gaming, and especially hardware upgrades. The least amount of effort for the most amount of gain.

Reviews when they do indeed come need to be a little tougher on this..videogame consoles especially Nintendo ones fall under that weird place of ignoring value in reviews though and focus entirely on what little improvements it has no matter what the cost.

It could be 300 dollars more than the original Switch but reviews won't bring that up, they'll bring up the improvements no matter what they are.

In this case it having a proper kickstand this time and having a proper screen this time. What value!

What USED to happen with these handheld upgrades back in the DS days is the models would come and replace the old model for the same price. The old model would be phased out.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
if this 7" uses a regular pentile oled, the pixel density will look far worser :messenger_face_screaming:

ps vita had to use rgb oled because of the lower resolution back then.

does the new oled even support hdr?

As in High Deception Reaction? Yeah in spades over here.

Cheapskates wouldn’t even do a process improvement to increase battery life.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I think my biggest issue is something like the Switch OLED selling extremely well is it's a BAD precident for gaming, and especially hardware upgrades. The least amount of effort for the most amount of gain.

Reviews when they do indeed come need to be a little tougher on this..videogame consoles especially Nintendo ones fall under that weird place of ignoring value in reviews though and focus entirely on what little improvements it has no matter what the cost.

It could be 300 dollars more than the original Switch but reviews won't bring that up, they'll bring up the improvements no matter what they are.

In this case it having a proper kickstand this time and having a proper screen this time. What value!

What USED to happen with these handheld upgrades back in the DS days is the models would come and replace the old model for the same price. The old model would be phased out.
I don't understand why people are holding it against Nintendo that they were the victim of BS rumours.

$50 more for a bigger, kickass OLED screen, better speakers and several other QOL improvements is something that would have probably been met with a positive response here had people not gotten suckered in by the lies told to dampen enthusiasm of the product that was actually releasing.

Expecting more power, a bigger OLED screen, better speakers, a better kickstand and upgraded chip and DLSS 4k for $50? On what planet?

It doesn't even make sense that Nintendo would sever the userbase and make development more difficult at this point when Switch is at its peak in sales.

Last edited:

Zannegan

This was one of the things I argued at the time. If it's such a massive upgrade don't you think they'd wait for the Switch sequel lol
I guess the logic is, if an upgrade keeps their audience buying or appeals to a new demographic, it would be worth the R&D investment. I'm not convinced Nintendo would actually make that move, and I'm especially skeptical now that they've done the OLED, but that was the idea.

From a strategic point of view, I suppose they could be trying to extend the gen long enough for the components they want in Switch 2 to come down to the price they're looking for. An apparent jump to 4K would be a big upgrade, but I don't think that would do much to steal the thunder of their true next gen hybrid. Games designed for a successor would look noticeably better than Switch games at 4K, even if they were outputting at the same resolution.

Again, this is all fantasy and imagineering for the fun of it. Unless Nintendo is planning to wait until 2024-2025 to put out their Switch successor, I don't think even they are nuts enough to put out a Pro in 2022...

...then again, it's Nintendo. Never say never. *shrug*

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I don't understand why people are holding it against Nintendo that they were the victim of BS rumours.

$50 more for a bigger, kickass OLED screen, better speakers and several other QOL improvements is something that would have probably been met with a positive response had people not gotten suckered in by the lies told to dampen enthusiasm of the product that was actual releasing.
Not sure about that. I know the rumours about 4K didn't help. I think another issue is a lot of users like myself feel like the Switch badly needed a shot in the arm hardware wise. Their own first party games are starting to look bad on their own system like Age of calamity.
I think this OLED model as it is should have phased out the original Switch and not be a third SKU. I know they're being a business but I don't think they're thinking long term on how confusing these SKUs are.

This situation to me feels very like the lack of a WiiHD at a time when they badly needed a WiiHD in those days. The Wii ended up fading rapidly after this. Even Skyward Sword couldn't save it. The sales were still strong but the third party support was non existent, the first party was very sparse and their reputation amongst their fans was going in the toilet and the WiiU bombed because people lost interest.

For what it's worth I do think where there's smoke there's fire. I would be very sure they WERE looking into DLSS technology for this upgrade but decided to use it down the line.

The Switch successor will absolutely use it. Absolutely they were working with this technology, it leaked and people like Bloomberg assumed it was for a Switch Pro model which always sounded funky to me.

Nintendo should have discontinued the standard model and kept the same price for the OLED one. What Nintendo did was to raise the price of old tech so that they could keep their profit margins amid the chip shortage and tried to get away with that by including a new screen no one asked for. They only felt comfortable in doing that because they can and their cult will buy whatever they sell.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Not sure about that. I know the rumours about 4K didn't help. I think another issue is a lot of users like myself feel like the Switch badly needed a shot in the arm hardware wise. Their own first party games are starting to look bad on their own system like Age of calamity.
I think this OLED model as it is should have phased out the original Switch and not be a third SKU. I know they're being a business but I don't think they're thinking long term on how confusing these SKUs are.

This situation to me feels very like the lack of a WiiHD at a time when they badly needed a WiiHD in those days. The Wii ended up fading rapidly after this. Even Skyward Sword couldn't save it. The sales were still strong but the third party support was non existent, the first party was very sparse and their reputation amongst their fans was going in the toilet and the WiiU bombed because people lost interest.

For what it's worth I do think where there's smoke there's fire. I would be very sure they WERE looking into DLSS technology for this upgrade but decided to use it down the line.

The Switch successor will absolutely use it. Absolutely they were working with this technology, it leaked and people like Bloomberg assumed it was for a Switch Pro model which always sounded funky to me.
Calamity was developed by Tecmo and is a Warriors game. They are known for terrible performance. Just because Nintendo lent out the IP to them, doesn't mean you'll ever see a Nintendo developed game perform like that.

If you look at the best selling Switch games, the list is utterly dominated by Nintendo. This whole DLSS thing would have been a move to appease third parties which are doing very little for the platform to begin with, and appease the customer's who primarily use the Switch undocked, which is another minority. It would serve very little purpose at this point, especially given the fact that it would complicate development.

The Switch and Wii are nothing alike in terms of their appeal. The Wii was novelty based on a gimmicky controller and was already slowing down dramatically at this point in it's life cycle (launch aligned) while the Switch is following a much more traditional lifecycle selling faster than any other platform ever in it's fifth year. Furthermore, Nintendo has all of its development talent behind the Switch, while the Wii was sharing their resources with the DS and basically left to die so they could support the DS and the flailing 3DS (in it's early years).

Last edited:
people still pissed it's not a Pro i see lol. it's fine for what it is...it's just a revision of the standard switch. i don't remember people being pissed when the 2019 revision came out.

don't believe rumors. it's your own fault if you're disappointed.

got my OLED switch pre ordered! ya see it make sense for me to get it because i don't have a switch right now!

can't wait for it :D

Nintendo should have discontinued the standard model and kept the same price for the OLED one. What Nintendo did was to raise the price of old tech so that they could keep their profit margins amid the chip shortage and tried to get away with that by including a new screen no one asked for. They only felt comfortable in doing that because they can and their cult will buy whatever they sell.
they probably will though. the OLED model ain't coming out for another 2 months and we're already seeing the current model getting price drops. retailers are likely trying to get rid of stock before the new model comes in. i'll be surprised if you can still buy a current switch in 6+ months.

i kinda agree with the price. should've stayed the same. but at the same time...OLED is more expensive than LCD. here the OLED is £30 more expensive. well it's now about £40 since the old model is getting discounted. the OLED should be £280-295 but it's £309.99.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte

So they should have gone for the option that makes them less money? 🤔

So they should have gone for the option that makes them less money? 🤔
They could just left the switch as is, and make little less profit as all other tech companies besides Nintendo do instead of transferring the costs down the line. They are probably making even more money on the Switch Oled than on the regular model. I wouldn’t be surprised if the standard model is discontinued and this will become the “new” oficial Switch price.

Btw, I am not trying to tell how people should use their own money. It is not my business after all (I myself have spend a lot of money on silly things), but I find it hilarious people trying to defend something that is borderline irrational from a consumer standpoint.

hemo memo

Gold Member
It is just an OLED screen. By itself is not that important now combined that with a hybrid system that for the majority of people they’ll play docked then it is really not even worth the review.

As someone who uses the Switch about 70% docked, it is a pointless purchase for me. Even so, it's not as if Nintendo put a Tesco Value TN panel in the Switch so I still wouldn't see the need in spending 350 on the OLED model

Schmick

I've learnt something today, of which i can add to my list;

Supreme fanboy
Sony - bo_hazem
Microsoft - monarchJT
Nintendo - Casey--Wegner
AMD - llien
nVidia - ????
Intel - ????

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Would be interesting to have a poll to see how many disgruntled OG Switch owners who never play handheld actually play their Switch on a 4K OLED TV. ‘Cuz LG’s OLEDs are all the rage here and no, I don’t believe for a second that all the people fawning over their C9/CX keep a dedicated old 720p screen to play their Switch on.

Imagine playing your Switch on a 4K TV and arguing that the change in pixel density from 6.2” to 7” is going to make the image noticeably worse.

Prediction: the OLED Switch won’t actually sell “gangbusters” (‘cause there’s so many Switches out there already and the regular model can hardly be outsold by the OLED one at this point) and the haters will be all over the sales numbers like every Switch model isn’t counting towards a unified sales total.

So far, I've seen nothing so compelling about the new version of the Switch that will make me go out and buy it. It'd be one thing if (in conjunction of the new screen) the tweaked hardware would allow for some higher resolution versions of current and future games and keep the same framerates and better battery life. Something like that could make me look more favorably on it, but alas, that's not there. So I'm not there either.

Top Bottom