• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Handsome men and beautiful women in video games are a good thing and you shouldn't feel ashamed for supporting it

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
It isn't a topic I have thought too deeply about or felt ashamed over, I just tend to play games and enjoy them. I just like for the characters I play to be memorable. A part of that is making them attractive and to stand-out.

It's a reason I was drawn to Overwatch a lot at first. Some of the character designs were really well done, I wanted to find out more about them.

It isn't a topic I have thought too deeply about or felt ashamed over, I just tend to play games and enjoy them. I just like for the characters I play to be memorable. A part of that is making them attractive and to stand-out.

It's a reason I was drawn to Overwatch a lot at first. Some of the character designs were really well done, I wanted to find out more about them.
Developers have the right to make whatever characters they want. Ugly, sexy, normal who cares. Just don't be gas lighting people into thinking they should feel guilty or that they have to bend their art or tastes to suit your personal beliefs. Live and let live.

McHuj

Sorta agree . I'm fine if they're not deliberately ugly .

We came from this
starcraft%2Bghost%2Bwallpaper%2Bbackground%2Bblizzard%2Breal%2Btime%2Bstrategy%2Bgame.jpg

to this
returnal-ps5.jpg

3682138-returnal.jpg

Thematically different yes , but I would choose the cool , attractive looking and badass game anyday anytime . Like how it used to be .

my 2cent , adios
C415527C8365C085054C2BF104B3DBFA87A857F5

honestly, I find the character in Returnal to be really off putting, like really ugly, to the point I’m likely not going to buy the game. I think it’s one of the worse character designs in any game in recent times.

Fredrik

I know, but there are people who act like appreciating the female form is some kind of immature thing when it isn't.
On this board? The current mods are cool and there are threads about beauty and breasts and asses etc here. Nobody is ashamed of what is normal biology here, just keep on enjoying life as you were meant to, everything is fine 👍

EDMIX

It up to developers themselves in what type of character designs they want in their games but what I DON'T WANT TO SEE is someone personally attacking the artist just because they are not personally fan of the design......like what happened with whole Dragon's Crown controversy over Sorceress design.

Agreed. My issue with this shit is its trying to force gaming to be this fake ass commercial for Neutrogena or something completely disregarding that in real life, every fucking person you come across isn't going to be some super model. It doesn't even fucking make sense.

If this was a game, you'd get folks crying about a conspiracy.

damages.lrg.jpg

Its as if they never actually walked outside and looked at humans before. So in shows and film for many characters having a shit load of "meh" people is quite normal as that is how real life is in the first place. It would be weird to have a show, film, game etc just have a packed Wal Mart and everyone looks like a fucking Vogue Model.

So i could give too shits if someone in a game is ugly no different then I don't care if someone is ugly in a show, film, comic book etc.

RED-2-jumbo.jpg

People telling me if they made this film into a game, they now mad cause they can't beat off to him or? He must be replaced with a buff good looking person?

Not everything was created to beat to folks. As an artist myself, I do not create people with the sole purpose of them looking attractive unless that actually is the purpose of the character specifically that is being created.

DavidGzz

Are we stuck with that character in Returnal? Isn't it set up like an action RPG? Let me create a character. Ugh.

levyjl1988

Banned
honestly, I find the character in Returnal to be really off putting, like really ugly, to the point I’m likely not going to buy the game. I think it’s one of the worse character designs in any game in recent times.
True, those type of characters are best suited to be side characters rather than full on playable protagonists. It's like saying do you want to play as Masterchief or this scientist woman who gets evaporated.
PsNAmK5.gif

Rickyiez

Exactly . Like why would you play a game with the protagonist that reminds you of your high school principal . Some developers nowadays failed to understand that human , especially men are a creature of visual . We wanted a game to feels good , not to the other way round .

Last edited:
My issue with this shit is its trying to force gaming to be this fake ass commercial for Neutrogena or something completely disregarding that in real life, every fucking person you come across isn't going to be some super model.
I didn't say every person in a video game should look like a supermodel. But if you really want video games to be like real life then you know attractive people are a part of the world.

Last edited:

EDMIX

do you want to play as Masterchief or this scientist woman who gets evaporated

Depends on the actual work though. I don't really understand why some of you are literally making it sound like its this one size fits all or something.

I would want to play as Masterchief in Halo and would have no issue playing the Scientist Woman if she had her own game or something.

Exactly . Like why would you play a game that reminds you of your high school principal

Sorta like saying why would people watch a show that reminds them of their science teacher from high school....

901.jpeg

if you really want video games to be like real life then you know attractive people are a part of the world,

That is also a subjective idea.

Someone here could find many of those people "attractive" that you find ugly, it would be like saying someone has some BBW fetish and they say something like "then you know BBW are part of the world".

at the end of the day video games are an interactive entertainment medium.

Thats nice. You shouldn't have an issue interacting with attractive and ugly NPCs... That is how real life is. We would fucking debate who is ugly and who looks attractive if it was a show, movie or you and I are sitting in bar etc. In a game its no different as that is and will always be a subjective idea.

Yes, for sure. But me, that i'm very handsome, i'm particulary tired of being represented in videogames.

Nah, my dude, i'm just joking. I dón't want or could care less about the avatar i'm controling in a videogame. Is he white? Is he red? Is he fat? It's a woman or a man? How about their hobbies? Is she christian? A muslim peharps?

I couldn't care less. Just want to have fun. I don't give a shit.

The fact that you were insecure enough to post this worries me OP. Hot people are hot. Nothing wrong with that. I never truly worried about it unless it was over the top either direction.
Was I not clear in my OP? I'm perfectly fine with seeing and playing as hot people in video games.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, over at a thread on ResetEra that isn't even thirsting but merely centers on the Vampire woman from Resident Evil Village - a sticky note

God help them when it comes to a real woman. Women I know are thirsty as the rest of the world and putting them on a pedestal is fucking ridiculous. I'm genuinely center-left politically but shit like this is why I left that farce of a site
Ka1H6qu.jpg

I mean SERIOUSLY? If you ever read that thread, it's the tamest shit anyway. A few posters say they like the design. It's reductive as hell to moderate adults this way

Last edited:

EDMIX

The Returnal character is needlessly ugly.

She looks like Gwendolyn Christie in Game of Thrones (Brienne Of Tarth) but even uglier.

FwjOB4f.jpg
sKUenZU.jpg

Needlessly? Yet the character you referenced is from a hit award winning TV show.

Kinda proves that how hot someone is may not be some massive priority to many who create art regardless of medium.

Screen-Shot-2019-10-10-at-14.01.06-f7da992.png

Be like saying this cast is "needlessly" ugly....

That being said, I personally believe based on what I've read that the gaming community as a whole is simply too immature for the medium to move forward. From the sounds of it you guys couldn't even fucking handle the show Mash or Breaking Bad or that show Damages or even that show The Shield as it's not like Vic Mackey's character Is Brad Pitt or something lol

It seems a lot of you are still in this weird comic book phase of thinking every person needs to sport a six-pack and every girl character needs to have big breast in order for the work to gain your interest as apparently that is some requirement for some sadly. I've had many conversations about so many different works in so many different artistic mediums and yet the gaming community seems to be the only fucking time I've had this conversation many, many times regarding the way a character looks in regards to attractiveness as if this has anything to fucking truly do with the medium.

Imagine somebody telling you about some show on the CW and they spend a portion of their energy giving it a bad review because someone in the show is ugly looking does that fucking sound like an intelligent discussion to you or twilight fans complaining about whose cuter than who?

Last edited:

Strider311

I was just going to post the same thing. She’s aggressively unattractive to the point of me losing interest in the game.

Hudo

I mean, humans always depicted ideal figures of certain archetypes in their stories, so that's something that has been done since the ancient times. Just look at many of the greek statues, etc. What I refuse to deal with is a deliberate ugly character design because you have an agenda, not because it somehow makes sense within the story or the gameplay.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Freedom of expression works both ways, same way some devs like to put sexy designs in their games then also applies to other developers who wants to put more old (grounded) character designs in their games.

I didnt like the fact Kojima put celebrities faces for the characters but it’s his game and he has every right to do it.

My issue comes from when some journalists or industry figures start shaming the artist behind the designs just because it’s doesn’t follow “western culture”.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
Call me whatever you want but I’ll always prefer attractive art design. It’s aesthetically more pleasing to the eyes and it doesn’t always have to be something completely perverted and sexual, but I’m also for creative freedom, so long as it’s not some sort of political Trojan horse.

Clarissa

Banned
Needlessly? Yet the character you referenced is from a hit award winning TV show.

Kinda proves that how hot someone is may not be some massive priority to many who create art regardless of medium.

That being said, I personally believe based on what I've read that the gaming community as a whole is simply too immature for the medium to move forward. From the sounds of it you guys couldn't even fucking handle the show Mash or Breaking Bad or that show Damages or even that show The Shield as it's not like Vic Mackey's character Is Brad Pitt or something lol

It seems a lot of you are still in this weird comic book phase of thinking every person needs to sport a six-pack and every girl character needs to have big breast in order for the work to gain your interest as apparently that is some requirement for some sadly. I've had many conversations about so many different works in so many different artistic mediums and yet the gaming community seems to be the only fucking time I've had this conversation many, many times regarding the way a character looks in regards to attractiveness as if this has anything to fucking truly do with the medium.

Imagine somebody telling you about some show on the CW and they spend a portion of their energy giving it a bad review because someone in the show is ugly looking does that fucking sound like an intelligent discussion to you or twilight fans complaining about whose cuter than who?
I'm saying the character from Returnal is ugly.

I didn't say the actress from Game of Thrones is ugly. Chill with the essay.

Or just enjoy both?

A small minority of gamers are complaining about good looking characters so another minority are pushing back just as hard about ugly characters.

There will always be both types in games and I like having both. The end.

Self

Handsome people are a minority, why is it OK to marginalize them?

Counter logic - very good mate. It shows the obvious loop holes within the representation theorie.

No? That’s like saying all women aspire to look like a supermodel

No, not really. Every human beeing inherently strives to be the best they can, for obvious reasons. The ideal is set by society in general - not only by men, but by woman and children as well. In evolutionary terms it makes sense, but it doesn't mean that we have to. An artist has the freedom to go against these ideals, but he doesn't need to. Either way, it is just wrong to force them into any direction.

Some of you are so obsessed with ResetEra that you have to take the exact opposite stance on everything and be just as melodramatic about it.

Very good point. If ReseteraEra likes TLoU2, some people here need to hate it by default. It's so childish.
I can understand people who don't like certain aspects of any given game, but this reactionary stuff is as disgraceful as the SJW agenda itself.
Sometimes it seems your surrounded by robotic morons.

That being said, I personally believe based on what I've read that the gaming community as a whole is simply too immature for the medium to move forward.

Videogames are the newest/most recent art form, hence it needs time to evolve. Most users are still kiddos and demand kiddo stuff. But it's changing and one can see the effects. One only has to stay vigilant, otherwise the SJW may corrupt the natural evolution and make it artificial/superficial.

Just don't compare games to movies , different kind of entertainment platform . Thanks :messenger_winking:

What a stupid remark.

You are being disingenuous in this thread if you don't think traditional media of TV, movies, and even the fucking news hasn't propped up beautiful people to sell their products and gain viewership. Yes, some posters here are being ridiculous about the "ugliness" of video game characters but plenty of other posters and myself do not require game characters to be sexy. It is simply a bonus option for many and liking/ being interested in things because of physical attractiveness is engrained within our minds for the process of sexual selection in evolution. Sex sells, but the content of the medium needs to stand on it's own to keep people engaged within the art itself. The human body has been a form of artistic expression since civilizations from thousands of years ago.

Spaceman292

Banned
Sure but you should feel bad when you piss yourself with impotent rage whenever a lead character doesn't look like your anime princess waif.

royox

This is probably not the best gaming forum to post this, because who the hell is embarassed to support non-troll looking characters. However I agree.

Well...in the othee forum you can get banned just for saying that dicks are male body parts.

nkarafo

I like how they wanted a soccer mom because "representation" or some shit but they also gave her two different colored eyes because, wow, that looks unusual and cool. They even have these close-up shots (because why would you do such a close up on a soccer mom's face) so there is no way you will miss it.

Mista

Banned
They’re a fictional characters why are people even making a big fuss out of it? What has this world turn into for fuck sake?!

Who gives a shit if the protagonist is a male or female? Handsome or ugly? They are NOT real. Play the game and enjoy, if you don’t, then move on to another game.

Everything now is an issue? Jesus fucking christ this is getting annoying. Soft world, everything is an issue now. Let’s complain.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Sorta agree . I'm fine if they're not deliberately ugly .

We came from this
starcraft%2Bghost%2Bwallpaper%2Bbackground%2Bblizzard%2Breal%2Btime%2Bstrategy%2Bgame.jpg

to this
returnal-ps5.jpg

3682138-returnal.jpg

Thematically different yes , but I would choose the cool , attractive looking and badass game anyday anytime . Like how it used to be .

my 2cent , adios
C415527C8365C085054C2BF104B3DBFA87A857F5
I don't care that she is ugly, but why is she so old? She looks like at least 50 years old woman. That's not good age for space explorer. Also why her neck is so freakish long?

supernova8

Banned
It's a known fact that handsome men and beautiful women are part of the real world. They are not exclusive to Hollywood movies, television, and video games. But just as well there are also ugly or weird, if not normal looking people (the so-called everyman) and we shouldn't forget this. That said, I feel that a more realistic video game means we will continue to see attractive men and beautiful women featured in them (and in most cases playing as them) and often the traditionally less attractive characters will be relegated to the background. I think the main reason for this is obviously because attractive people catch our eye and so we remember them a little more if you go by just their appearance alone. Certainly there are women who play a video game and maybe daydream about being rescued by Leon S. Kennedy or Chris Redfield with his boulder biceps and can you really blame them? No. So why then is it that some of you talk down to your fellow gamers for wanting to see and play as attractive women in video games? What about the guy who enjoys playing an RPG as a female character and wants to make them look beautiful? There's nothing wrong with that.

Let me put it like this, if you were to create or commission a talented game developer to create your video game and you already know in your head or on paper what the characters should look like, isn't it safe to say they would likely be good looking characters? I'm not saying the virtual women would necessarily have big breasts or big hips or long glamorous hair but I'm sure there are women who enjoy playing as beautiful female characters. I mean, I don't think women are so different if you really think about it - both genders appreciate traditionally attractive looking characters, be it from movies, video games, television and books. We are not so different.
Not sure why you're even posting this. Epitome of preaching the choir.

Of course there's nothing wrong wit having ugly/fat people in games. All character styles serve their purpose. Of course what is stupid is if you were to exclude archetypically good-looking male/female characters because of some silly notion that 3 or 4 people deep in the bowels of Twitter will get offended.

Top Bottom