• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Handsome men and beautiful women in video games are a good thing and you shouldn't feel ashamed for supporting it

Fredrik

sGX4dgP.jpg

Do you really need balloon tits on female characters? I mean come on, they look they are about to burst...
I know people with bigger ones so why not? Got to think about representation and all that.

Seriously, I understand that not everyone want to look at big breasts but it’s not like everyone looks like Taki, she’s one of a kind I’d say.
And lets be real, once you open the door that game content might affect the player and world at large then it’s bye-bye violence and 95% of all games would have to be erased. In the end it’s polygons. Same type of polygons as on the guy you just brutally killed with a shotgun in TLOUp2, they just look nicer than the blown off head and might bounce. Big deal. 🤷‍♂️

luffie

Why don't the people who think that go make their own games to see how much it sells.....What you deem as an attractive character means little for games or TV shows or movies....What's more important is character and what you portray on screen, is it gripping can people connect.....Show me a traditional beautiful woman and I'll show you a boyfriend who is tired of smashing.....Some women look good in the traditional sense but have zero personality, zero spaz and even more insecurities than what you deem average or ugly.

GOT would not be the same with some boring smooth faced Tyrion Lanister, The hound, Joffrey or Theon Greyjoy. None of these guys were great because they were beautiful, but because they portrayed interesting and none "watch paint dry characters".....That Thor guy can't act, so I will always remember Iron Man, he has spark. Penguin in Gotham is great.....

As for games, it's not the attractive polygons that keep you, it's the gameplay, the character itself, the humor. Drake may be handsome traditionally, but it's hardly what has made him so beloved in the series...I suspect some you should just go make some AO games and be done with it...
Agreed man, personally I don't quite like to play as old man Geralt, but because of his good story, he became so much more lovable.

I find him so charming when Ciri lays on his shoulder after beating Imlerith, and says "this old man need a bit more rest"

In line with the op, I don't think anyone is shaming anyone for liking to play as attractive characters, op seem to be reading too much resetera. They are a very minority, and as for now, I don't see any developers going that route at all.

Agreed man, personally I don't quite like to play as old man Geralt, but because of his good story, he became so much more lovable.

I find him so charming when Ciri lays on his shoulder after beating Imlerith, and says "this old man need a bit more rest"

In line with the op, I don't think anyone is shaming anyone for liking to play as attractive characters, op seem to be reading too much resetera. They are a very minority, and as for now, I don't see any developers going that route at all.
Not really. I'm aware of ResetEra's reputation, but I don't visit the site and I rarely check the dedicated thread we have on them here. But I've seen it happen on GAF in these discussions about female characters where someone will act like you're a pervert if you support the idea of attractive females in games or if you just don't like certain different characters. Someone brought up making an Adult Only game, what does that have to do with anything I said?

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Personally i think most video game/movie female action stars ought to look more like crossfit or MMA women (not cutting for a match). Thicker thighs/butt, smaller breasts, heavier shoulder build.

That athletic build alone can make a lot of women look attractive (to me) regardless of their facial features. But fat has little place on these characters given that they are usually operating at a high physical level.

But i get the desire to exaggerate the feminine aspects (boobs mostly) to emphasize that the character is FEMALE since on screen in armor or whatever it can be hard to distinguish between characters unless this is done. Form fitting "boob armor", while somewhat unrealistic in practice, is very helpful for character design. I'm playing AC valhalla and it seems like half of the random soldiers are actually females but it is hard to tell until you stab one and they let out a very girly scream. What is the point? If they wanted to emphasize how gender nonbiased the vikings and saxons were then it is mostly lost visually. It seems like a nonsensical decision because it is rarely addressed (so far). So in period correct armor both men and women all sorta look like stumpy blocks.

Athletic women can be attractive too, yeah. It's just when you see really big (bigger than some men) muscles on a female character that it starts looking silly.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Eh, I'm not a fan of ugly for the sake of avoiding controversy or representing "real (ie average) people." These are supposed to be extraordinary characters in most instances. Why couldn't they also be extraordinarily good looking?

On the other hand, I also don't particularly enjoy playing through some designer's teenage wetdream either (gonna get eaten alive for this one but, looking at you XC2).

Neither approach to character design offends me. It all just feels silly. There's room for a whole range of character types and builds. So when you see a game where all the characters are "11/10s" or "so tough/smart you wouldn't DARE objectify," you know (or at least I feel) like they're just trying too hard either way.

Top Bottom