• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Handy graphic showing Xbox consoles' launch, replacement and retirement.

There's some discussion floating around the forum about the future of Xbox, the Series S and the Series X.

This is not fanboy fodder, just a handy graphic so that people can see that Microsoft have retired consoles mid-generation and swapped SKU's around.

As someone who fondly remembers upgrading a 360 Core to a 360 Elite, it caught me by surprise just how many console SKUs there were during that generation

eRQz9rA.png

And Microsoft did similar during the Xbox One generation:

LMdvSmZ.png

Don't be shocked if Microsoft retire the S or X or redesign them.

feynoob

Banned
Their sin was having low ram and low memory for xss.
A good device, but these 2 parts makes the system not viable for long term.

Then there is fucking stupid MS mistake like always. That crap SD is shit, due to them not making it available for other manufacturers.
They always have to fuck up something in each gen.

Spyxos

Looking at the graphic, it's not too bad. I am still pissed that Facebook discontinued my Oculus Rift S after only 1 year. That was really shitty. I am kinda fine with the Xbox timeline after that.

Isn't that what Sony did with PlayStation 3, 4 and soon to be 5 with the disc attachment? Don't we technically get new iterations as well that eventually replace the previous for stock manufacturing?
PS3 yes, ps4 and ps5 no.

PS3 went through several changed to strip out the bloat of having a physical PS2 inside of it. Then it was slimmed, trimmed and the HDD tweaked. PS4 just had a pro model and different production lines.

The OG Xbox had a redesign and slight upgrade about 18 months after launch. My brother had one and it booted up and played games significantly faster than mine.

Designs change in production all the time. With Lean manufacturing the centre of all manufacturing savings, anyway a product can shave a few pence over millions of units will be pounced upon.

Looking at the graphic, it's not too bad. I am still pissed that Facebook discontinued my Oculus Rift S after only 1 year. That was really shitty. I am kinda fine with the Xbox timeline after that.
It's not great in all honest but it is understandable. HDD's became a requirement half-way through the 360 gen and at the same time they were becoming cheaper and higher capacity.

As for xbox one, they ditched the Kinect and brought out new consoles. The real naughty naughty was introducing the S 2tb and then cancelling it within a year. That was a bad call manufacturing wise.

And personally, i would have ditched every Xbox one console and kept the 1x alive. That was the best console Microsoft have put out in over a decade.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I think you have mistaken me. i am taking about other things.

Their sin was having low ram and low memory for xss.
A good device, but these 2 parts makes the system not viable for long term.

Then there is fucking stupid MS mistake like always. That crap SD is shit, due to them not making it available for other manufacturers.
They always have to fuck up something in each gen.

onQ123

People talk down on the Series S but I still say it was the smartest thing XBOX did in years & just a few die shrinks it can easily become a small TV box or portable.

ReBurn

Gold Member
PS4 just had a pro model and different production lines.
PS4 had OG 500 GB, Pro 1TB, Slim 500 GB and Slim 1 TB primary models. 3 form factors across multiple motherboard revisions and SKU's.

SKU and model revisions are super common, even for Sony. PS5 is already on its third model number.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
The closest we have to the series S/X is the Nintendo 64 ram extension. So it make people who are not habitued to PC look a it differently.
For me I want a console to be the place for my gaming needs for a whole generation. Even with the Pro models who changed a bit the situation, my PS4 still got me from Bloodborne to GOW 2018 and TLOU2, and allows today to play games like elden ring and GOW Ragnarok.
If the S for some reason do not give people the same feeling of "future proof" it will harm Microsoft in the future in my opinion.

Last edited:
PS4 had OG 500 GB, Pro 1TB, Slim 500 GB and Slim 1 TB primary models. 3 form factors across multiple motherboard revisions and SKU's.

SKU and model revisions are super common, even for Sony. PS5 is already on its third model number.
You are correct, I didn't think you meant Slim models but yes, PS4 had slims and different capacities. Like you say, that is normal. Ps5 will soon be - if not already, on a 6nm process.

With all that in mind, it isn't out of the realm of possibility - and probably owns a hotel in that realm, that the Series consoles will have redesigns, and soon.

But don't Sony and Nintendo do the same? Why aren't you worried about them OP?
Please don't shit up my thread with nonsense. Where is the worry? Where is the concern? It only exists in your head.

This thread is a PSA to show people that there is no panic when discussing changes or retirement to XSS and/or XSX.

If anything, this thread is to get ahead of the panic and console warring when Microsoft announces a new Series console or the retirement of the S

You're welcome Mr Spencer.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
The consoles are already starting to strain with most AAA games running at an average of 1440p in performance mode and some games not even having 60fps modes. I would not be in the least bit surprised if MS reveal a Series XX in mid 2024 and launch it in late 2024. Same form factor, 24TERAFLOP GPU with added RT cores, 25% faster CPU, another 8GB of faster RAM, larger SSD, $599.

True 2160p games with higher precision Ray Tracing and more stable framerates. MS know there’s 3-5 million customers who will pay top dollar to have their most powerful hardware. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a PS5 Pro either in late 2024 for all the same reasons.

Last edited:

onQ123

You are correct, I didn't think you meant Slim models but yes, PS4 had slims and different capacities. Like you say, that is normal. Ps5 will soon be - if not already, on a 6nm process.

With all that in mind, it isn't out of the realm of possibility - and probably owns a hotel in that realm, that the Series consoles will have redesigns, and soon.
They been on the 6nm process

https://www.pcmag.com/news/new-ps5-model-uses-more-efficient-oberon-plus-6nm-chip

Gobjuduck

Banned
People talk down on the Series S but I still say it was the smartest thing XBOX did in years & just a few die shrinks it can easily become a small TV box or portable.
I think in the last quarter of the gen. Xbox will have a portable version of the series s. They are exploring the hardware. The series S allows a whole library to instant transfer, as games are being optimized for lower power.

Phil is constantly showing his series s with the screen adapter on it. I think he’s trying to get an idea of what a portable Xbox can be. It could literally just be a compact laptop that you fold open and play.

Last edited:
Please don't shit up my thread with nonsense. Where is the worry? Where is the concern? It only exists in your head.

This thread is a PSA to show people that there is no panic when discussing changes or retirement to XSS and/or XSX.

If anything, this thread is to get ahead of the panic and console warring when Microsoft announces a new Series console or the retirement of the S

You're welcome Mr Spencer.
All of these different versions of Xbox ran the same software for the entire generation. All Xbox 360 software ran on all Xbox 360s. The hard drive was dropped as a requirement when the Core came out and didn't have a hard drive at all.

All console manufacturers make hardware revisions over the course of a consoles' life cycle. There is absolutely nothing different about Xbox in that regard. The XSS will be retired when the next generation starts. The XSX will join it in retirement. It is absolutely nonsense if someone spins a narrative that MS has done something nefarious here ending a consoles' life cycle prematurely.

All of these different versions of Xbox ran the same software for the entire generation. All Xbox 360 software ran on all Xbox 360s. The hard drive was dropped as a requirement when the Core came out and didn't have a hard drive at all.

Not entirely accurate. The later versions of the Xbox 360 ran a lot faster than the day one editions. The Xbone dropped the software requirement for Kinect and unlocked more resources for games. And you've got it backwards, the requirement for a hard drive came in and the core was dropped because games needed more space than was on the Ram and it allowed games and DLC to be played digitally.
All console manufacturers make hardware revisions over the course of a consoles' life cycle. There is absolutely nothing different about Xbox in that regard.
Who said there was any difference with the xbox?

The XSS will be retired when the next generation starts. The XSX will join it in retirement.

Are you basing this on anything? Because the charts in the OP show pretty clearly that Microsoft has a history of introducing, revising and retiring consoles through-out a generation. To think that this generation will be different, flies in the face of past evidence.
It is absolutely nonsense if someone spins a narrative that MS has done something nefarious here ending a consoles' life cycle prematurely.
Who has spun that narrative? You are the first person to even consider that anything is thinking of the possibility that MS has done anything nefarious. In fact, most of the thread are discussing how acceptable and beneficial it was for gamers for Microsoft to make these changes.

Furthermore, who here has mentioned ending a consoles life cycle prematurely? If you look at the evidence in the OP, taken from the Xbox Wiki, you can see that Microsoft have never ended a console's life cycle prematurely...well, with the exception of OG Xbox but that was out of Microsoft's' hands.

That the Series S is discontinued would be a surprise to none and a relief to most. It won't stop the console from working, it just means it will no longer be an anchor around the neck of the generation. It has served its time as a console and 3 years is average for the length of time for a SKU to exist. A series X revision with the possibility of removing the disc drive is probable. Afterall, the S, which has sold better than the X, has no disc drive, therefore the disc drive cannot be the main factor in choosing which Series console to buy.

Please do not post in this thread again if you have nothing to contribute. This is not a fanboy, console warz thread, it is information for people to better understand that Microsoft may, and likely will, introduce different Series SKU's and when they do, it isn't an indication that they are going out of business or panicking.

AngelMuffin

Not entirely accurate. The later versions of the Xbox 360 ran a lot faster than the day one editions. The Xbone dropped the software requirement for Kinect and unlocked more resources for games. And you've got it backwards, the requirement for a hard drive came in and the core was dropped because games needed more space than was on the Ram and it allowed games and DLC to be played digitally.

Who said there was any difference with the xbox?

Are you basing this on anything? Because the charts in the OP show pretty clearly that Microsoft has a history of introducing, revising and retiring consoles through-out a generation. To think that this generation will be different, flies in the face of past evidence.

Who has spun that narrative? You are the first person to even consider that anything is thinking of the possibility that MS has done anything nefarious. In fact, most of the thread are discussing how acceptable and beneficial it was for gamers for Microsoft to make these changes.

Furthermore, who here has mentioned ending a consoles life cycle prematurely? If you look at the evidence in the OP, taken from the Xbox Wiki, you can see that Microsoft have never ended a console's life cycle prematurely...well, with the exception of OG Xbox but that was out of Microsoft's' hands.

That the Series S is discontinued would be a surprise to none and a relief to most. It won't stop the console from working, it just means it will no longer be an anchor around the neck of the generation. It has served its time as a console and 3 years is average for the length of time for a SKU to exist. A series X revision with the possibility of removing the disc drive is probable. Afterall, the S, which has sold better than the X, has no disc drive, therefore the disc drive cannot be the main factor in choosing which Series console to buy.

Please do not post in this thread again if you have nothing to contribute. This is not a fanboy, console warz thread, it is information for people to better understand that Microsoft may, and likely will, introduce different Series SKU's and when they do, it isn't an indication that they are going out of business or panicking.
“it just means it will no longer be an anchor around the neck of the generation.”

Why is this exclusive to consoles? You never hear how a 2060 is an anchor to a 4090.

“it just means it will no longer be an anchor around the neck of the generation.”

Why is this exclusive to consoles? You never hear how a 2060 is an anchor to a 4090.
Very true. But let's not pretend that the fluid and variable hardware of PC is comparable to consoles. Though one could argue that Recommended and Required Specs are there for a reason; to keep old hardware from holding back games.

What's more is that we have never seen a company release 2 consoles with such a difference in specs.

Top Bottom