• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 20th Birthday Valve!!! | 24-08

yuraya

Valve is the best thing to ever happen to PC gaming. Its amazing how big they've gotten in just the past 5 years. Can't wait to see how big they will get in the next 20.

Happy Bday.

Half-Life 3 is on its way. No doubt about it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i remember it as 3 weeks ago.
me only having dial up internet.

buying half life 2 day one..

and having to wait 18 hours to play the game
cause of steam.
never been more pissed of at a game in my life.

20 years later..
170 games on steam
didn't bought a physical pc game in 7 years...

<3 steam you did well

Maxey

Well it is pretty much the point. You aren't going to get a cheap headset right out of the gate, and VR is pretty much "doomed" to start in such a state in the PC market when chasing the high end so early. They make a game for it, they get lambasted. They don't, they get lambasted. Explore making VR games dedicated to a new medium, get lambasted for it. No winning really. I liked The Lab, but that involves some luck with working where there are Vive headsets around.

As for anything concrete on a full games, I'm assuming they didn't fart out a new Engine for no reason. L4D3 is probably the next title being the furthest along with beta testers that we know of, but that was a while ago now. Could easily be new things going on. Much of the wait on Source 2 is around Vulkan. I'd assume they want the engine to be a showcase for it when they (eventually) fully show it off

I'm not implying Valve made something wrong by releasing The Lab, I'm just saying that using the release of that game as a legitimate counter-argument that Valve doesn't make games anymore is just weak and proves nothing about their future plans.

I'd like to be positive and hopeful about Valve's future output but so far they haven't released or said anything that makes me excited about their upcoming work. We don't even know that much about Source 2 yet.

Nzyme32

I'm not implying Valve made something wrong by releasing The Lab, I'm just saying that using the release of that game as a legitimate counter-argument that Valve doesn't make games anymore is just weak and proves nothing about their future plans.

I'd like to be positive and hopeful about Valve's future output but so far they haven't released or said anything that makes me excited about their upcoming work. We don't even know that much about Source 2 yet.

"Game" output since Dota2 in 2013 (outside of all the updates to other games), Dota2 Reborn, which is the Source 2 jump for Dota2, very similar to how Valve tested out Source with CS:S before moving onto a "proper" game. The difference now is that Vulkan is a big part of the engine but has only recently released. Dota2 only got it's Vulkan branch in May this year. That is a step closer to seeing anything from them on Source 2 and a "proper" game imo

i remember it as 3 weeks ago.
me only having dial up internet.

buying half life 2 day one..

and having to wait 18 hours to play the game
cause of steam.
never been more pissed of at a game in my life.

20 years later..
170 games on steam
didn't bought a physical pc game in 7 years...

<3 steam you did well

56k dial up trying to deal with HL2 on launch day, even with the retail disc was crazy. Took me the whole day before I got to play, after getting in touch with Valve to learn I had to delete a corupt ClientRegistry.blob file. Worth it though!

Compsiox

Banned
Happy birthday to them (tomorrow) - not that I expect them to celebrate with some juicy announcements, but one can blindly hope, especially with Steam Dev Days set for October 12th - October 13th. Should be about time for a full fledged Source 2 / Vulkan effort. Also looking forward to the next sets of hardware updates / SteamVR expanding.

Yeah good memories of the army green days and far too much CS without WON

I expect a full reveal of Source 2. Maybe not a release. Then they'll go more into detail at Dev Days.

sono

Hey Valve, Here's to the early days.

It all went wrong with PS3 Orange Box lack of quality but lots of excuses instead and ignoring the fans asking for HL3.

No idea who you are any more and care even less that it is your birthday

Nzyme32

I expect a full reveal of Source 2. Maybe not a release. Then they'll go more into detail at Dev Days.

Yeah I figure as much, just a matter of when though. Last I head of Source 2 was the mention that there is no licencing, just the clause that a game should be on Steam along with anywhere else, but there was also mention of devs being able to take the bits they like and incorporate them into their own engines. Makes me wonder what they actually have in the engine.

Hey Valve, Here's to the early days.

It all went wrong with PS3 Orange Box lack of quality but lots of excuses instead and ignoring the fans asking for HL3.

No idea who you are any more and care even less that it is your birthday

Sad outlook. HL3 is exactly the thing I care least about, not in that I wouldn't want the game, but that I don't feel obliged to get the game or that Valve should plop it out because "fans want it", and don't want something that isn't going to live up to what HL series has been. Portal 2 remains my favourite game, but probably my favourite product is the Steam Controller. As someone bouncing between lounge and desk gaming, the controller is a necessity and the update have been amazing. SteamVR has also be pretty awesome, although still not something I can justify owning myself. All in all, I think they're doing alright considering the breadth of what they are up to and the variety of people they serve. Still lots they can improve on, and of course when they are ready to put out a game, I'm no doubt going to be interested

A good remake/new version of Day of Defeat is really high on my wishlist. There's been quite a few attempts to do something similar but none of the games or mods have quite felt as good. Battalion coming and so on but I would still prefer see Valve try it.

Well, there is Day of Infamy, which got Valve's blessing to include DoD map remakes. Pretty sure the company is done with that franchise too.

Valve literally changed the way we consume PC games but because they don't release "full games" people are eager to shit on them. Fuck that. Dota 2 gave me some of the best gaming moments ever and Valve's VR push has been amazing. Here's to another 20 years with the best company in gaming.

Zia

Valve literally changed the way we consume PC games but because they don't release "full games" people are eager to shit on them.

That's a little unfair. I shit on them because I play all of their MP games and think they have done a really, really poor job of supporting them (save for maybe Dota 2) the past two years.

That's a little unfair. I shit on them because I play all of their MP games and think they have done a really, really poor job of supporting them (save for maybe Dota 2) the past two years.

Precisely. I wish people would stop shrugging these off as "HL fans", "SP fans", "Console fans" whatever. Plenty of legitimate reasons to... shit on them.

Compsiox

Banned
I know Valve doesn't usually do much for their Anniversaries but it's the 20th ;-;

Come on Valve. Still some time left.

Lotto

Steam and GAF are basically my only avenues for online social media/contact. Valve aren't without their faults but they constantly impress me with most of their business decisions. Happy Birthday to this beautiful company.

Top Bottom