• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hardware Accelerated Audio - How Xbox Series X uses a dedicated audio chip to deliver next-gen audio

soulbait

I know, but this idea that these new audio chips are the megatons of the consoles is complete bs. A tiny percentage of people will ever use this. I'm not saying the tech isn't good just that to me it's like 3d, another talking point

Considering you can hook up any headphones to any controller and experience the spatial sound they have been engineering on both consoles, I say you are wrong about this one.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I haven't looked into this myself, but considering dts:x headphone has been on xbox for a long time, this sounds like dts:x for a regular home theater?

MrFunSocks

Banned
Considering you can hook up any headphones to any controller and experience the spatial sound they have been engineering on both consoles, I say you are wrong about this one.
It's not a gamechanger, it's not a megaton. I say this as someone that bought the Dolby Access license and have played many of the games on the Xbox and PC that have 3D audio. It's nice but it's not a game changer. It makes it a bit easier to tell if something is above or below you. Have you actually played games with Dolby Atmos on a headset?

soulbait

It's not a gamechanger, it's not a megaton. I say this as someone that bought the Dolby Access license and have played many of the games on the Xbox and PC that have 3D audio. It's nice but it's not a game changer. It makes it a bit easier to tell if something is above or below you. Have you actually played games with Dolby Atmos on a headset?

Yes I have. I also have a proper Dolby Atmos home theater setup. The spatial audio in the headphones is great and with the correct speakers and a/v receiver Atmos is amazing. Makes you feel enveloped in the sound.

As someone who always wants a good audio experience, it is a big deal to me.

THEAP99

Banned
Did any of the reviews touch on the audio upgrades specifically? I feel as if the audio upgrades aren't going to be as good as both Sony and Microsoft proposed .. sadly

sinnergy

Did any of the reviews touch on the audio upgrades specifically? I feel as if the audio upgrades aren't going to be as good as both Sony and Microsoft proposed .. sadly
To be honest , most people are on stereo and 5.1 still. Especially 5.1 is good enough , it’s just us hardcore that are in Atmos and DTS:X , so it’s kind of understandable that none mention it.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
There is a new App for 3D Audio on store, it's DTS: Unbound and it simply sounds bad in coparison to Dolby Atmos for headphones, that's all.

You what love?

The headphone version of DTS is on par with Atmos and really just down to preference.

As for the Home Theater expansion, I havent tried it yet as im a Headphone game through and through.
But could it really be bad enough to be called "trash"?

Top Bottom