• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Hardware Busters] The New PS5 is Actually Better

Dream-Knife

Banned
For starters, PC =====/////===== Consoles.

As the air flow path through the heat sinks on a PC are notoriously shit because it's not directed and so heat transfer by radiation from the finned area plays a bigger role.

On consoles, with the more compact design, the air flow can be specifically directed by designing in a desired air flow path to optimise the cooling system design.

So any conclusions you're making about the PC side absolutely do not carry over to consoles.
What about laptops?

PS5 design could be so much better with something similar to XSX form factor, but in pull/intake at the front and push/exaust at the back configuration and with box sitting on the side. Both fans wouldn't need to spin remotely as fast and console could be nearly inaudible - polar opposite of what it is now. Shame. Heres hoping PS5p wil be better designed.

GamingKaiju

For the people who didnt watch the video.

nT4XPCL.png

Tbqh those are fantastic numbers for the ps5 new & old hell at 1080p my ol’1070 normally gets upto 60c.

PS5 design could be so much better with something similar to XSX form factor, but in pull/intake at the front and push/exaust at the back configuration and with box sitting on the side. Both fans wouldn't need to spin remotely as fast and console could be nearly inaudible - polar opposite of what it is now. Shame. Heres hoping PS5p wil be better designed.

Finally, you reveal your true colours.

Now this explains all the bad-faith arguments and disingenuity.

ethomaz

Banned
Series X form fact is terrible lol
If you want a PC tower buy a PC.

Last edited:
Great Hair Great Hair It is more ethic
a) it did not matter to you and friends, when that bald testicle "tested" his gifted XSX
b) you are tempering with the factory set cooling, consoles are not desktop PC
c) About GN

Happy Cat GIF by VITA VITA ‧ 塔仔不正經
stop GIF

According to them, yes it´s already the 3rd revision. But between 1st and 2nd, they only differ in fan supplier?
Now you're just assuming stuff; also who is this bald testicle you keep referring to? I don't know any, hairy gang ITT here 🤷‍♂️

GN is credible; one simple mistake (if he made one; who is that quote from anyway?) doesn't suddenly make him an ignorable source.

Allandor

Updated tests by Igor & Aris which should be very similar to GamersNexus original tests for the first PS5 Revision.
Those tests are much better now. Would have wished that they would add some sensores to the front side to get the temps of the heatpipes etc, but well, we can't have it all ;)

The real problem I had with the initial video was, that it had to many problems, criticizes the other youtuber but did the same mistakes. This didn't make the results more believable.

Those tests are much better now. Would have wished that they would add some sensores to the front side to get the temps of the heatpipes etc, but well, we can't have it all ;)

The real problem I had with the initial video was, that it had to many problems, criticizes the other youtuber but did the same mistakes. This didn't make the results more believable.
Still these are only tests with single devices, and therefore not entirely representative. Its all we will get though.
GamersNexus are still trying to get their hands on a new revision to redo their original tests, this could reinforce Aris & Igors statement or be entirely different time will tell.

Last edited:
I realy hope Austin Evan's this beta Male looser face gets it served in all holes.
He still has not suffered enough for his blatant propaganda Video.
I want him sitting on his couch wrapped arms around his knees and moving back and forth sobbing.
Gamer Nexus Video will deliver the Ammunition to bring Austin to mental destruction. As it should be!

mitchman

Gold Member
Barely worth talking about with differences this small, but it's a nice step, especially with the price of copper increasing by almost 50% in the past year.

I measure around 90 watts to watch YouTube on my PS5 "Copper Edition", of which that is what I do most of the time, instead of playing games (but I do play a lot also!)

My AMD Ryzen 7 4700U LAPTOP (8 cores (base 2.0 GHz, boost 4.1 GHz), but no hyperthreading), with 8 GB RAM, and much smaller GPU (it's an APU) than PS5, but still, we are talking about video here, and it allows watching YouTube at around 50 watts (at the same resolution).

My guess, the PS5 RAM is driving that wattage up, to watch video. But it should not be much more than the desktop, and I'm watching at 1080p.

Like to see a PS5 at 25 watts desktop, 50 watts YouTube, and 100 watts for gaming, on a 5nm node for the APU, but wonder if that high frequency RAM will still keep power consumption high for simply things like video.
What codec is used on each platform? If the laptop is using VP9 and the PS5 is using h264, there will be differences. Also the amount of hardware decoding support for the used codec also differs.

Md Ray

So the second video is out and it's clear, they're getting cooler temps on both the SoC and memory modules than the OG model with proper sensor placements.

Suddenly all the "hotter exhaust = hotter internal temps" believers have disappeared now. I see MrFunSocks MrFunSocks was still liking posts that were disregarding/disagreeing with HWBusters results here. Shame on you dude.

Last edited:
Holy fucking false equivalence, posting this shows how awful your opinion and the opinion of that website truly is. They NEED to compare Gamers Nexus temperatures of the NEW PS5 vs their OWN NEW PS5, this table shows NOTHING, it's fucking trash, it's scary that some of you people vote.

Saving this reply for later. (y)

I thought it showed even at higher ambient temps it is still cooler.

Anything less than this new revision being consistently and unquestionably hotter on average they're just wrong.

Last edited:
Holy fucking false equivalence, posting this shows how awful your opinion and the opinion of that website truly is. They NEED to compare Gamers Nexus temperatures of the NEW PS5 vs their OWN NEW PS5, this table shows NOTHING, it's fucking trash, it's scary that some of you people vote.
This is getting hilarious. Did the tested old version themselves or not? And why not swap coolers to see whats the deal?

e: it seems he got both consoles, so why is he seeking validation by comparing his results to GN..? Test both consoles and swap coolers and test one more time to see real full picture. Its such a shame and Igorslab is respected site.

Last edited:
It's really hilarious you don't see the clear difference in temps. Let me help you: lower means better. Always glad to help the mentally handicapped.

jaysius

Banned
I thought it showed even at higher ambient temps it is still cooler.
Holy shit dude, you either USE ALL YOUR OWN RESULTS or NOTHING, there are so many factors that can throw these numbers off with setup and other variables like ambient temperatures of the room etc. You can't guarantee any numbers if you're not taking both sets of data yourself.

That table shows dick squat.

It's really hilarious you don't see the clear difference in temps. Let me help you: lower means better. Always glad to help the mentally handicapped.

Can't help your kind at all, it's a lost cause.

Again, if the sources are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, especially in this age of youtube, there is no STANARDARIZED temperature taking procedure that these 2 clickbaiters are following. Even different devices might have different calibrations of temperature readings... I don't think you understand anything about the scientific method. But this isn't anything scientific, this is just a stupid pissing match and people clinging to anything looking positive, nothing objective here.

Last edited:
Holy shit dude, you either USE ALL YOUR OWN RESULTS or NOTHING, there are so many factors that can throw these numbers off with setup and other variables like ambient temperatures of the room etc. You can't guarantee any numbers if you're not taking both sets of data yourself.

Ooh... poor man... it's so sad. :messenger_sad_relieved:

Can't help your kind at all, it's a lost cause.

Again, if the sources are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, especially in this age of youtube, there is no STANARDARIZED temperature taking procedure that these 2 clickbaiters are following. Even different devices might have different calibrations of temperature readings... I don't think you understand anything about the scientific method. But this isn't anything scientific, this is just a stupid pissing match and people clinging to anything looking positive, nothing objective here.

Manufacturing process is standardized though, or you expect that every PS5 unit out there have wildly different temps?

Last edited:
It

Can't help your kind at all.
It shows what it shows. Forget the comparison to GN if you like, and the results are there for what they're worth. A couple weeks ago there was just one model that could be tested. There wasn't much to compare it to right? The results they got, like GN's, showed useful and informative data. Now there's a new model and after a couple of tests by this guy, he's getting lower temps, especially where it counts. Is it totally conclusive? No, it's not. And GN's test isn't the word of God either no matter his Jesus looks, but the more tests the better, it's how progress is made.

So far the russian guy gets lower temps on the new model using a sound methodology, better than anyone has done for this new model. Is his test final? No. Nor it would be GN's. But that's probably all we'll get, and by the looks of it the new model is going to do better at the tests, and more corroboration is needed and it will come. Everyone believed GN after just One test of the old model and his methodology could be questioned too, but in general, no fuss. More hilariously, lots of people (maybe including you?) took the word and test? of Austin "AEnema" Evans as conclusive fact.

Last edited:
This is getting hilarious. Did the tested old version themselves or not? And why not swap coolers to see whats the deal?

e: it seems he got both consoles, so why is he seeking validation by comparing his results to GN..? Test both consoles and swap coolers and test one more time to see real full picture. Its such a shame and Igorslab is respected site.

Did you actually look at the vid from Aris and read the article from Igor?
They had both revisions tested and compared these results but also compared the results of their new revision vs. the results from GN old revision taking into account different room temps.

You guys are just grasping for straws here.
Some random nobody forum shmucks trying to discredid igorslab and his mates lol.

Last edited:

lachesis

Asides added thermal paste - unless the new one came with thermal paste rather than putty - I'm down with the result.

Less the variant in the testing method, the better. I hope Igor does old PS5 using same methodology soon and get this over with any doubt.

jaysius

Banned
Ooh... poor man... it's so sad. :messenger_sad_relieved:

Manufacturing process is standardized though, or you expect that every PS5 unit out there have wildly different temps?
I don't care about the results you tool. It'd be great if they made PS5's better.

Wow, it appears you read my comment and you still don't understand it. You're the poor man.

sircaw

Banned
I am sorry, i am not believing a word of this shit, there is no fucking way this console is cooler and better.

I am waiting for legit and unbiased reporting.

As soon as Dealer gaming, Eastwood, and the pigeon guy check the temps i will post their definitive, unbiased video here.

fuck all you guys that believed in Cerny and his engineers, they know nothing. "lollipop_disappointed:

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Wait a minute. I don't think his test will represent what the majority will have. I mean not everyone is going to take a dump on the PS5s vents like pigeons do.
in all seriousness, i still have not got hold of a ps5 yet, i would love one, but considering my ps4 pro will play diablo 2 res like a charm, and i will be playing that for the next year at least, i am kinda happy i did not pick up one of the new ones now.

i mean the room i play my games in is very hot in summer so less heat makes me very very happy.

A few degrees means alot to me.

Did you actually look at the vid from Aris and read the article from Igor?
They had both revisions tested and compared these results but also compared the results of their new revision vs. the results from GN old revision taking into account different room temps.

You guys are just grasping for straws here.
Some random nobody forum shmucks trying to discredid igorslab and his mates lol.
You also need to put the new cooler into older version console to rule out the posibility of software/bios tweaks. New version might be running lower voltage.

Top Bottom