• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Hardware Busters] Xbox Series X Thermals, Power & Noise - Full Tear Down & Comparison with PS5

Great Hair

Banned

B5VdrC1.png

elliot5

Both are very well designed machines (other than aesthetics), but gotta give props to MS for the compact and power efficient design of the XSX. I'd be curious for an XSS test/teardown like this just for the data

Is that right that the XsX draws more power horizontal? II have mine hoizontal

One of the features that I thought was really smart on the SX was having the fans blow the heat upwards and out in the vertical position. Since hot air rises pretty much the most efficient way of expelling it is up and out, so it’s not really a surprise the fans have to run a bit harder to keep temperature in check in the horizontal position.

Last edited:

twilo99

Insane engineering, my Series X on every game is far quieter than my PS5 playing PS4 games. Crazy difference.

I think Microsoft gave that project a bit of a loose budget because the series x is an overengineered product for what it is

Loxus

Makes me wonder just how much further Microsoft could have pushed clock speeds rather than just settling for double Xbox One X performance, maybe 13-14 Tflops would have been possible.
Then how would they be able to keep the chip cooled?
It's all a balancing act.

Leyasu

Banned
Worse cooling in the position (more heat) = more resistance to switch the transistor.

One of the features that I thought was really smart on the SX was having the fans blow the heat upwards and out in the vertical position. Since hot air rises pretty much the most efficient way of expelling it is up and out, so it’s not really a surprise the fans have to run a bit harder to keep temperature in check in the horizontal position.
Thanks for the replies. Now I am looking for somewhere safe to stand my XsX upright.

I should not have clicked on this thread

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Whats wrong with this guy? He makes the most idiotic comparisons. Comparing DMC5 PS5 to Gears 5. Why? Buy a copy of DMC5 on Xbox and do the comparison. Conversely, do the same for Battlefield 2042. This shouldnt be that hard.

He did the same with the PS5 testing using GamerNexus test results to do his comparisons. Thats not how any of this works. One of the biggest morons on youtube.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I remember when everyone was concerned about RROD 2.0
The irony about that FUD was that it was debunked by the very sources that were cited as a reference and even though I posted them in the first page the thread kept going.

Loxus

Whats wrong with this guy? He makes the most idiotic comparisons. Comparing DMC5 PS5 to Gears 5. Why? Buy a copy of DMC5 on Xbox and do the comparison. Conversely, do the same for Battlefield 2042. This shouldnt be that hard.

He did the same with the PS5 testing using GamerNexus test results to do his comparisons. Thats not how any of this works. One of the biggest morons on youtube.
I have to agree with you on this one.

ParaSeoul

Everyone wants to be a tech channel without actually spending money

Fredrik

Dude in the video measured both, it's 25 db for PS5 and 15 db for XSX. Considering I can hear my XSX if I turn the TV volume to zero and concentrate a bit, it's not that surprising that people can hear the PS5 imo.
I instantly hear my PS5 when I power it on. Doesn’t sound like the coil whine I’ve had on the PC but people say that’s what it is so idk.

It’s not a problem anyhow.

For comparison, a 10dB difference is 10 times the sound energy, but it takes 3dB to actually hear a difference and in the end 25dB is like a whisper. 🤷‍♂️
15dB is like breathing.
Both consoles are super quiet. My WD My Cloud external HDD is the noisest thing I have in my setup and it’s still quiet.

DaGwaphics

Then how would they be able to keep the chip cooled?
It's all a balancing act.

Definitly a more aggressive fan curve could've been used. I've yet to hear my S system even though I'm sitting right next to it, doesn't matter how long it has been running. A lot of heat output from it, but zero noise.

Kilau

Gold Member
Sometimes I feel like I could cook over my Series X, but it's out in the open and hot exhaust isn't necessarily bad.

That is interesting... I wish to have power measurement to all games.

~200W is the peak power draw for for Series X? FH5 seems to not stress the system compared with Gears 5 or Battlefield 5.
It's basically locked 60 so unless he did a stress part where fps dropped I doubt it's running 100% most of the time.

SpokkX

10db difference is considered "Noticeable"
Yeah 10db is quite noticable. I cant hear Series X at all expect in Avengers where there is a slight very silent fan spin

i can always hear my ps5, even in ps4 games. Ps5 sounds more in dashboard that series x in games. The ps5 fan sounds more high pitched to - and this is not counting coil while (which a friends ps5 has quite bad, mine is not that bad - still can hear it too)

10db is quite a lot actually

Loxus

Definitly a more aggressive fan curve could've been used. I've yet to hear my S system even though I'm sitting right next to it, doesn't matter how long it has been running. A lot of heat output from it, but zero noise.
To achieve 13-14TF, you would have to clock the GPU around 1975-2125MHz.

Having 52CUs will not only increase power consumption but also heat output. It isn't the same as PS5 because it's 36CUs Vs 52CUs.

Just raising the fan curve isn't going to help, especially with the heat output we're seeing now

Top Bottom