• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Hardware Busters] Xbox Series X Thermals, Power & Noise - Full Tear Down & Comparison with PS5

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Same price at retail, similar performance.
Only one is profitable, for all we know.

I’d say the PS5 is the better engineered console ;)

bxap9Rt.gif

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
A whisper doesn't mean intelligible, a whisper just means a soft unvoiced sound, whether you can make out what the person is saying is completely irrelevant; if you can't hear someone whispering from ~2 meters away, your hearing is just bad, sorry.

I sit about a meter away from my xsx, and I can hear that fucker turn on from "instant on standby" every time it decides to do something in the background, like download an update.

Zathalus

I think you confusing speaking softly and whispering.

Your trolling at this point.

whis·per
  1. speak very softly using one's breath without one's vocal cords, especially for the sake of privacy.
It's not exactly uncommon for those with good hearing to be able to hear a whisper from one meter away.

When I was a student in a quiet library I could easily hear that other students near me were whispering.

People overhear whispers all the time.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
People are missing the point.. from a practical standpoint the difference is rather neglectable, from a hardware engineering perspective it deserves credit.
Indeed, it does deserve credit. I think both of them managed to improve from their previous HW despite having lofty goals.

Coil whine (if unlucky) and Blu-Ray drive are a minus for PS5, but despite the fans being quite silent on XSX the massive flow of air out of the top of XSX is audible (yet negligible).

skit_data

cmon let's be serious about it. One is LOTS bigger less performant and louder all of this at the same price the PS5 come out the engineering comparation as a joke console. Sure if you wanna spin it about profitability (and as customer we shouldn't really give a fuck about how much those companies make it) we don't have proof that xsx isn't too
The Series X is a really fine piece of hardware, but taking BOMs into consideration (which I’d say is vital when talking about design/cost/efficiency) its more impressive that the PS5 is trading blows with Series X while being sold for profit than MS being able to take a bigger hit for each sold console because one involves having to make the hardware really effective whereas the other only requires deep pockets.
Its pretty much unprecedented in recent years, outside of Nintendos consoles. The PS5 is sold for profit and it delivers performance similar (I’d say indistinguishable) to the Series X.

I know who I’d prefer to design my product if I had a company selling hardware.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
The Series X is a really fine piece of hardware, but taking BOMs into consideration (which I’d say is vital when talking about design/cost/efficiency) its more impressive that the PS5 is trading blows with Series X while being sold for profit than MS being able to take a bigger hit for each sold console because one involves having to make the hardware really effective whereas the other only requires deep pockets.
Its pretty much unprecedented in recent years, outside of Nintendos consoles. The PS5 is sold for profit and it delivers performance similar (I’d say indistinguishable) to the Series X.

I know who I’d perfer to design my product if I had a company selling hardware.
again you putting everything in the BOM not knowing the model Ms is using this gen ...I'm sure that xss is making money for both console. This thread is about how the console are built and engineered ...and as i said the PS5 lose basically on every single point

Last edited:

Zathalus

I know what I’d perfer to design my product if I had a company selling hardware.
How much does the Series X cost? Is it selling at a loss? It only has a slightly larger APU but has a less expensive SSD and no extra DDR4 ram (PS5 has extra 512MB for the OS).

Other then the APU the only thing that might make it more expensive is the vapor chamber cooler, but the PS5 uses liquid metal which is more expensive then the paste the XSX uses, as well as a larger heatsink.

PS5 also has the stronger PSU, 350w vs 315w.

Seems to me they would be similar in cost. I'm not seeing anything that would drive one to be substantially more expensive then the other.

MonarchJT

Banned
How much does the Series X cost? Is it selling at a loss? It only has a slightly larger APU but has a less expensive SSD and no extra DDR4 ram (PS5 has extra 512MB for the OS).

Other then the APU the only thing that might make it more expensive is the vapor chamber cooler, but the PS5 uses liquid metal which is more expensive then the paste the XSX uses, as well as a larger heatsink.

PS5 also has the stronger PSU, 350w vs 315w.

Seems to me they would be similar in cost. I'm not seeing anything that would drive one to be substantially more expensive then the other.
I'm sure that the yeld of those high frequency of the PS5 is also lots worst than 1.8ghz of the xsx

skit_data

again you putting everything in the BOM not knowing the model Ms is using this gen ...I'm sure that xss is making money for both console. This thread is about how the console are built and engineered ...and as i said the PS5 lose basically on every single point
We pretty much know MS is not making a profit per sold console, at least that was their statement in court during the Epic vs Apple case.

Yeah well, to each and their own but I’d consider a paper plane be a better design than a RC plane if their goal is to reach 500 meters and they both land at roughly the same spot.

Kuranghi

I have my PC in the same room as the PS5 so thats way louder just idling but I notice the PS5 if the PC is off.

Last edited:

Fredrik

We need to use common sense here.
A whisper is 30 dB and you can't hear what someone is whispering into someone's ear a foot away.

How tf you going to hear the difference between PS5 and XBSX.
You would hear other sounds before you hear these consoles.

Most of you all are lying for no reason.
I have tinitus, I can still hear the PS5 from my couch 3 meters away, but not the XSX unless I move up close. I’d say it’s more about the characteristics of the noises than how loud they are though. PS5, bright whirring. XSX, deep humming.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
How do any of yall hear your consoles while wearing headphones....
The only time I really hear either is when I play without any sound.

Sometimes when my wire watches TV I might be playing some games that doesn't require sound like MLB The Show so I can listen to the TV and when she pauses shows to do stuff is the only time I hear them.

tmlDan

I have tinitus, I can still hear the PS5 from my couch 3 meters away, but not the XSX unless I move up close. I’d say it’s more about the characteristics of the noises than how loud they are though. PS5, bright whirring. XSX, deep humming.
You prob have a faulty PS5, the coil whine isn't present in mine - but a few others say they have it here.

Woody337

My PS5 fan is quiet, not silent. The coil whine is killer though. 30 fps games is ok but when it ramps up to 60fps she ticks/whines away........XSX is dead silent though

Fredrik

You prob have a faulty PS5, the coil whine isn't present in mine - but a few others say they have it here.
I don’t think it’s coil whine but I don’t rule out that it’s some other issue, I’m used to being affected by Sony’s hardware lottery.

Kuranghi

You need to get a better case...

Its a Fractal Design Define R6. If I turn my CPU and Case fans off completely its almost the same volume, so I'm guessing all the noise is coming from the PSU fan. So I do need a new PSU, I just can't be bothered to replace all that right now, will just wait to do a proper full rebuild next year.

I just got used to it, for me its a nice-to-have but I'd never spend much money on getting making it quieter, like PS4 Pro vs. PS5 fan volume, it was annoying when I focused on the Pro fan noise but when actually playing the game with noise cancelling headphones or on my loud sound system I don't really notice it.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
As somebody who heavily prefers quiet PC builds, let me tell you that 10db difference is quite a lot on a logarithmic scale.
30db is the sound of somebody whispering directly into your ear and that is very much noticeable.

A Dark Rock pro/Noctua CPU cooler is sitting at around 25db when running full speed, which is already way too loud for people who want to run silent systems.
I gave away my PS4pro after a month, because I just couldn't stand the f*cking noise (between 50 and 60 db).

Silent systems are a sign of good engineering and very much appreciated by those who don't want noisy electronics in their homes.
Unfortunately, noise hasn't been a priority for SONY so far, hence my reluctance to even get a PS5 (even if I really like their games).
The design around the PS5 adjusting to workloads was to make the console quiet

PUNKem733

ah you're new here.

Don't mind him, he's been living in his dream world ever since this machine was announced

it's not like the power budget is a very early step in the design process :messenger_winking_tongue:

200 watt is a very typical value and the Series X is very efficient with it
Been a lurker for over 15 years lol

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is true. My PS5 has both coil whine and a melodic fan hum. If I turn up my TV volume enough it drowns it out but it is clearly more audible than the XSX.
I am not sure if you people expect no sound at all or what. My ps5 is quieter than PS4 slim was. And quieter than my pc 3080fe alone.
it’s not silent and I can hear it when I put my ear to it but the coil whine on 3080 sounds like a train in comparison.
Afaik xsex just runs hotter and have a giant top fan. Big fan is quieter but the design allows for debris and dust to fall in

I'm sure that the yeld of those high frequency of the PS5 is also lots worst than 1.8ghz of the xsx

I don't know if you can even say that it's "a lot worse" without knowing how many good chips Sony can get out of a wafer.

Also it isn't that strange that the PS5 is clocked high when other RDNA2 GPUs have similar clock speeds.

Just my opinion I don't believe yields are that bad otherwise there would be a huge impact on production. Really bad yields could potentially cause Sony to produce less systems than Microsoft but I'm not seeing that happening.

skit_data

I don't know if you can even say that it's "a lot worse" without knowing how many good chips Sony can get out of a wafer.

Also it isn't that strange that the PS5 is clocked high when other RDNA2 GPUs have similar clock speeds.

Just my opinion I don't believe yields are that bad otherwise there would be a huge impact on production. Really bad yields could potentially cause Sony to produce less systems than Microsoft but I'm not seeing that happening.
RDNA2 is made to be clocked high by design, PS5 isn’t very high clocked compared to their GPUs for comparison.

But I’d guess Series S are even better. Could be the reason they’ve produced so many Series S, yields are probably great for it.

Genx3

We need to use common sense here.
A whisper is 30 dB and you can't hear what someone is whispering into someone's ear a foot away.

How tf you going to hear the difference between PS5 and XBSX.
You would hear other sounds before you hear these consoles.

Most of you all are lying for no reason.
You most definitely can hear a whisper.

Can't make out what they're saying but you can hear that something is being said.

Max_Po

Banned
I haven't heard anything from either.. other than when I pop in a disc ...

Good on SONY, the PS4 was excessively loud and even the earlier PS4 PROs.

Xbox1 was also dead silent...

Loxus

You most definitely can hear a whisper.

Can't make out what they're saying but you can hear that something is being said.
I guess you guys talk loud when whispering.
I'm from the Caribbean and when we whisper in each others ear, you can't hear shit no matter how close you are. All I can say is talking softly and whispering are two different noise levels.

Top Bottom