• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Hardware Busters] Xbox Series X Thermals, Power & Noise - Full Tear Down & Comparison with PS5

RDNA2 is made to be clocked high by design, PS5 isn’t very high clocked compared to their GPUs for comparison.

But I’d guess Series S are even better. Could be the reason they’ve produced so many Series S, yields are probably great for it.

Never thought about that but yes that could very well be true for the Series S. From my understanding seems like production is split 50/50 between the Series consoles.

Corndog

Banned
You would think so, in interviews Jason Ronald basically said they just wanted twice Xbox One X performance. It would be interesting to know if they had any internal testing about how far the cooling system could be pushed. RDNA2 does operate at higher clocks so it must be possible.
The motherboard and power supply might not be capable

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I havent kept up with everything but someone actually complained about noise level of either console not coil whine related?

My 2nd PS5 100% had some sort of coil whine and likely that tag hitting the fan I have seen on videos but Sony replaced it fairly quickly
I have very loud coil whine. Its definitely an issue in quieter scenes but not as bad as my pro.

Corndog

Banned
How much does the Series X cost? Is it selling at a loss? It only has a slightly larger APU but has a less expensive SSD and no extra DDR4 ram (PS5 has extra 512MB for the OS).

Other then the APU the only thing that might make it more expensive is the vapor chamber cooler, but the PS5 uses liquid metal which is more expensive then the paste the XSX uses, as well as a larger heatsink.

PS5 also has the stronger PSU, 350w vs 315w.

Seems to me they would be similar in cost. I'm not seeing anything that would drive one to be substantially more expensive then the other.
Larger box for shipping too.

How much does the Series X cost? Is it selling at a loss? It only has a slightly larger APU but has a less expensive SSD and no extra DDR4 ram (PS5 has extra 512MB for the OS).

Other then the APU the only thing that might make it more expensive is the vapor chamber cooler, but the PS5 uses liquid metal which is more expensive then the paste the XSX uses, as well as a larger heatsink.

Seems to me they would be similar in cost. I'm not seeing anything that would drive one to be substantially more expensive then the other.

They should be similar in cost. I'm not sure if this is correct but there was a rumor that the XSX might be slightly more costly. But barely anything if I remembered the rumor correctly.

I do know there was speculation that the PS5 would be 599$ but that really didn't make sense given how similar the two systems are.

Trimesh

Banned
Drawing less energy is not going to lead to more heat.

No, but depending on the system you might get higher or lower exhaust temperatures. Suppose you have a heatsink with a heater attached to it and a fan blowing air through it. Also assume that you have the heater connected to a power supply setup to operate in constant power mode (I.E. constant VI). At this point, the amount of power being dissipated is going to be constant - but the temperature of the exhaust air will decrease as the fan speed is turned up.

The easiest way to reduce the sound generated by a fan is to run it slower - this will tend to result in an increase in the temperature of the exhaust air because the same amount of thermal energy is now being transferred to a smaller quantity of air. On top of this, the Series X has a very short thermal path between the chips and the heatsink, which presumably also has a low thermal resistance. This will allow the heatsink to operate at a relatively high temperature while keeping the junction temperature below the desired target.

So yeah, I absolutely can see it dissipating less power but still blowing (a smaller quantity) of hotter air.

Rykan

I can hear the fan and the coil whine on my PS5 while playing most new gen games. Both from ten feet away. Meanwhile my Series X is dead silent always. It’s ok to acknowledge what a marvel of engineering the X really is,
I can second this. I've owned both consoles before I moved and the PS5 is one of the loudest consoles I've had due to the coil whine. The sound is also much worse than the sound a cooling fan makes. The XSX is whisper quiet and pretty much puts any other console to shame in that department.

S0ULZB0URNE

I havent kept up with everything but someone actually complained about noise level of either console not coil whine related?

My 2nd PS5 100% had some sort of coil whine and likely that tag hitting the fan I have seen on videos but Sony replaced it fairly quickly
Xbox Series X is quieter but as you know neither are loud(save those that get coil whine)

One is quiter and draws less power and one runs cooler.
It's a wash between them but people gotta turn it into a console warring VS thread.
It's tiresome tbh.

Great Hair

Banned
Reese Witherspoon Fire GIF by HULU
Oh No What GIF by Abitan
on fire GIF

Corndog

Banned
No, but depending on the system you might get higher or lower exhaust temperatures. Suppose you have a heatsink with a heater attached to it and a fan blowing air through it. Also assume that you have the heater connected to a power supply setup to operate in constant power mode (I.E. constant VI). At this point, the amount of power being dissipated is going to be constant - but the temperature of the exhaust air will decrease as the fan speed is turned up.

The easiest way to reduce the sound generated by a fan is to run it slower - this will tend to result in an increase in the temperature of the exhaust air because the same amount of thermal energy is now being transferred to a smaller quantity of air. On top of this, the Series X has a very short thermal path between the chips and the heatsink, which presumably also has a low thermal resistance. This will allow the heatsink to operate at a relatively high temperature while keeping the junction temperature below the desired target.

So yeah, I absolutely can see it dissipating less power but still blowing (a smaller quantity) of hotter air.
Exhaust is hotter on series x.

Riky

$MSFT
Yeah a slightly faster fan means 2 more TF ROFL

I didn't say it did, I said I wonder how far it could be pushed. People overclock PC parts all the time with no additional cooling, it's perfectly reasonable to speculate on what could be achieved here.

S0ULZB0URNE

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Well what difference is 15db to 25db considering 30db is a whisper.

Unless you have you ears right next to the console the difference is not noticeable.

For my systems sitting about 5ft away the seriesX is silent but the ps5 sounds like a normal console, the noise of the fan is def noticible. Its not an issue but I prefer the silence of the XSX, its magic.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
For my systems sitting about 5ft away the seriesX is silent but the ps5 sounds like a normal console, the noise of the fan is def noticible. Its not an issue but I prefer the silence of the XSX, its magic.
Normal console?
It’s probably quieter than even PS4 slim was.
I understand Xbox is even quieter but it doesn’t matter too much at that point. It will be interesting to see which console holds up better over the years.
it’s already a year and neither console started dying like 360 or ps3

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Well what difference is 15db to 25db considering 30db is a whisper.

Unless you have you ears right next to the console the difference is not noticeable.

Normal console?
It’s probably quieter than even PS4 slim was.
I understand Xbox is even quieter but it doesn’t matter too much at that point. It will be interesting to see which console holds up better over the years.
it’s already a year and neither console started dying like 360 or ps3

My PS5 is about as loud as my matte PS4 (The first revision where the plastic was matte instead of glossy) which is about the same as my ps2 + dreamcast.
Im terms of longevity I expect both to last about the same they both have very good cooling system.

Dont get me wrong the PS5 is well designed, but its ok to aknoledge that these console are going to be better in certain aspects when compared to the other.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
No, it is to constrain power draw and heat. Noise is a result of how fast you are running the fan, you can achieve a quiet fan profile by using a large diameter fan at low rpm.
It's also to prevent a PS4 Pro scenario. Go check out Mark Cerny's talk again

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Xbox Series X is quieter but as you know neither are loud(save those that get coil whine)

One is quiter and draws less power and one runs cooler.
It's a wash between them but people gotta turn it into a console warring VS thread.
It's tiresome tbh.

70 odd degrees on an apu is miles within safety range of an apu. It doesn’t work like what you are saying. The ps5 memory is hotter, so that’s probably why the fan needs to be running faster than the Xbox, not the apu.

Its not bad to say the Xbox is an excellently engineered product. It’s smaller, lighter, runs quieter and draws less power than the main competition while runNing an apu that’s larger with a cpu at higher clocks which should require more power. The actual box is a genius design.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
70 odd degrees on an apu is miles within safety range of an apu. It doesn’t work like what you are saying. The ps5 memory is hotter, so that’s probably why the fan needs to be running faster than the Xbox, not the apu.

Its not bad to say the Xbox is an excellently engineered product. It’s smaller, lighter, runs quieter and draws less power than the main competition while runNing an apu that’s larger with a cpu at higher clocks which should require more power. The actual box is a genius design.

They are both excellent designs, not aesthetically though (one is worse looking than the other, IMHO it is the the PS5, but it is not praise to either… neither is good looking IMHO), but I guess is the Vs. minded exaggerated superlatives that might turn the conversation sour (back to the pre-launch and early post launch period where one of the two was the monster slaughtering the other in absolute way and in every case and if in some metrics it did not then either those metrics did not matter or the other had a secret trump card that would close the gap)…

APU wise, the CPU’s comparable SMT mode is clocked barely any faster than it is on PS5 and that is a small portion of the logic, GPU is the power hungry side of things (also where most of the transistors have been on) and that is where you have one design clocked a lot higher than the other (depending on who goes for the high clock strategy that is the right or wrong one, but that is beside the point).
Also, having a bigger die will not make it worse to cool, but easier especially if you have less concentrated hot spots and a lower clock.

Is XSX quieter than PS5? Yes.
Is PS5 loud at all? No.
Is XSX completely silent? No, when it goes full tilt the sound of the air going through the top grill alone makes audible noise. Is that bad? Nope, the console is quiet.
Would the XSX benefit from dust filters and do you have risks posed by dust and deposits falling through the top of the console? Yes. Is it a deal breaker? Heck no.
Is the XSX the first ingenious time a central centrifugal fan approach has been tried to cool a mass marketed machine? Nope, Mac Pro (bin edition) did that successfully.
5skZbBP.jpg

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

XSX is a overall better designed console IMO and why would it be bad to say this?
The comparison is a wash.

Why does every thread gotta be a console war?

Trimesh

Banned
Exhaust is hotter on series x.

Well, yes - that was exactly the conclusion that followed from my description.

They are running the fans slower to reduce the noise level so the air velocity is lower and the air spends more time in contact with the heatsink. Hence it transfers more heat and gets hotter.

Speeding the fan up will reduce the air temperature because the same amount of energy is now being transferred to a smaller amount of air.

assurdum

Banned
Insane engineering, my Series X on every game is far quieter than my PS5 playing PS4 games. Crazy difference.
It's pure magic improve the power efficiency of a tech practically designed by the concurrency years before. It's almost if they would have had more time for that.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
They are both excellent designs, not aesthetically though (one is worse looking than the other, IMHO it is the the PS5, but it is not praise to either… neither is good looking IMHO), but I guess is the Vs. minded exaggerated superlatives that might turn the conversation sour (back to the pre-launch and early post launch period where one of the two was the monster slaughtering the other in absolute way and in every case and if in some metrics it did not then either those metrics did not matter or the other had a secret trump card that would close the gap)…

APU wise, the CPU’s comparable SMT mode is clocked barely any faster than it is on PS5 and that is a small portion of the logic, GPU is the power hungry side of things (also where most of the transistors have been on) and that is where you have one design clocked a lot higher than the other (depending on who goes for the high clock strategy that is the right or wrong one, but that is beside the point).
Also, having a bigger die will not make it worse to cool, but easier especially if you have less concentrated hot spots and a lower clock.

Is XSX quieter than PS5? Yes.
Is PS5 loud at all? No.
Is XSX completely silent? No, when it goes full tilt the sound of the air going through the top grill alone makes audible noise. Is that bad? Nope, the console is quiet.
Would the XSX benefit from dust filters and do you have risks posed by dust and deposits falling through the top of the console? Yes. Is it a deal breaker? Heck no.
Is the XSX the first ingenious time a central centrifugal fan approach has been tried to cool a mass marketed machine? Nope, Mac Pro (bin edition) did that successfully.
5skZbBP.jpg
Well TrashCan Pro is fusion between chassis of Xbox and centrifugal fan from PS5, so it's neither, but "chimney" style cooling predates most iT stuff with cooling towers and that sort of thing. I really don't know why it's not used normally (more regularly), because the effect when hot air rises giving this design a lot of "free cooling".

They should be similar in cost. I'm not sure if this is correct but there was a rumor that the XSX might be slightly more costly. But barely anything if I remembered the rumor correctly.

I do know there was speculation that the PS5 would be 599$ but that really didn't make sense given how similar the two systems are.
Yes indeed, XSX should be more expensive. Bigger APU, more expensive cooling solution (more copper, more complicated setup with 2 boards), less custom (DVD drive, SSD) components that will be more expensive in the long term. Sony should have more RD costs notably with the unique cooling system though.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Well that massive Al block cannot be cheap, I know that PS5 have the plate, but that's generally far easier to manufacture than some machined aluminium block. But I think that DDR4 and NAND chips will offset this difference.

Still both consoles are crazy cheap in MSRP.

GrayFoxPL

If my console isn't generating any noise and isn't scorching hot so I couldn't fry stake and potatoes on it, then something is very, very wrong or it isn't on.

PS5-exposed-in-store-crashes-for-going-on-overheating.jpg

Ron Burgundy What GIF

Tripolygon

Banned
It's also to prevent a PS4 Pro scenario. Go check out Mark Cerny's talk again
He was talking about power draw, heat is the outcome of an unconstrained power draw, and trying to keep the SoC cool which resulted in PS4/Pro tiny fan having to spin very fast at high rpm, hence the noise. Even the OG Xbox One fan is larger than PS4 and PS4 Pro fan. 112mm vs 85/95mm. Compared to PS5 which is 120mm and XSX 130mm. That is why they make less noise. The fans are massive so they don't have to spin as fast.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yes whispers would be audible if you had your right next to the console.

Annoying at movies? What distance are you sat and what volume are you watching your movies on?
This is another point as to why I hear my consoles not only do I sometimes play without sound while my wife watches TV but my one set up has the consoles on my desk literally 3 feet away from my head

• Ps5 on the dashboard: 25-30 dB
  • Ps5 during the installation of the disk: 38-41 dB
  • Ps5 playing Miles Morales: 42-48 dB
  • Ps5 playing DOOM Eternal: 38-45 dB

I'm sorry, but 38-48db in game is way too frikkin' loud.

Top Bottom