• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Hardware Busters] Xbox Series X Thermals, Power & Noise - Full Tear Down & Comparison with PS5

All the guys complaining about how they can hear their PS5s must not have owned a PS4 Pro. The PS5 is whispering quiet compared to the PS4 Pro.

I have my XSX in the horizontal position with the exhaust pointing into the room, and right at me. It's getting cold here, so I appreciate the extra warmth. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Last edited:

Poppyseed

Yes whispers would be audible if you had your right next to the console.

Annoying at movies? What distance are you sat and what volume are you watching your movies on?
What I’m trying to say is the PS5 is obviously louder than the Series X. I sit around 5 feet from mine. The coil whine is pretty annoying from the PS5, too. Neither console is loud, mind, but the Series X is next-level quiet.

Alphagear

What I’m trying to say is the PS5 is obviously louder than the Series X. I sit around 5 feet from mine. The coil whine is pretty annoying from the PS5, too. Neither console is loud, mind, but the Series X is next-level quiet.

No arguments there. Of course the XSX is quieter but both consoles are a vast improvement over previous gens. No coil whine on my PS5 fortunately.

For me personally the PS4 and Xbox 360/PS3 were unplayable at times because of the sound.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
He was talking about power draw, heat is the outcome of an unconstrained power draw, and trying to keep the SoC cool which resulted in PS4/Pro tiny fan having to spin very fast at high rpm, hence the noise. Even the OG Xbox One fan is larger than PS4 and PS4 Pro fan. 112mm vs 85/95mm. Compared to PS5 which is 120mm and XSX 130mm. That is why they make less noise. The fans are massive so they don't have to spin as fast.
So one of the design philosophies was to make the console more quiet as my post stated

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I admit that I have long term concerns about the PS5 due to the liquid metal. It's great in terms of efficiency, but likely a nightmare in terms of repair. I'll likely replace my PS5 at the first major hardware revision that will hopefully use thermal compound.

Calverz

Tired Pbs Nature GIF by Nature on PBS

I’m sure if the results were the other way round your post would be quite different.
Anyway what’s ur gamertag? let’s play some halo.

Last edited:
I admit that I have long term concerns about the PS5 due to the liquid metal. It's great in terms of efficiency, but likely a nightmare in terms of repair. I'll likely replace my PS5 at the first major hardware revision that will hopefully use thermal compound.
Why you would want to change the liquid metal? The way they did it it should last a very long time (longer than regular thermal compound). Besides, people are opening, cleaning and putting back some liquid metal with no problem.

Imtjnotu

All the guys complaining about how they can hear their PS5s must not have owned a PS4 Pro. The PS5 is whispering quiet compared to the PS4 Pro.

I have my XSX in the horizontal position with the exhaust pointing into the room, and right at me. It's getting cold here, so I appreciate the extra warmth. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
I've yet to hear my ps5 outside of the disk spinning from time to time

My ps4 pro on the other hand was in full afterburner mode from start to finish lol

S0ULZB0URNE

• Ps5 on the dashboard: 25-30 dB
  • Ps5 during the installation of the disk: 38-41 dB
  • Ps5 playing Miles Morales: 42-48 dB
  • Ps5 playing DOOM Eternal: 38-45 dB

I'm sorry, but 38-48db in game is way too frikkin' loud.
I don't have noise measuring tools but I and any other non fanboy that owns both will tell you that both are whisper silent, unless they have a PS5 that suffers from coil whine.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Why you would want to change the liquid metal? The way they did it it should last a very long time (longer than regular thermal compound). Besides, people are opening, cleaning and putting back some liquid metal with no problem.
Liquid metal can permanently ruin a motherboard if not applied correctly. That doesn't happen near as often with thermal paste.

Liquid metal can permanently ruin a motherboard if not applied correctly. That doesn't happen near as often with thermal paste.
It should not happen if you are careful. Have you even watched a teardown about Sony's solution about it? They spend 2 years at RD to prevent this. Besides you should not need to do it.

Tripolygon

Banned
So one of the design philosophies was to make the console more quiet as my post stated
This is what you said.
The design around the PS5 adjusting to workloads was to make the console quiet
The variable-frequency strategy is not about making the console quieter. It is about constraining power draw. The overall design intent of the cooling system is to be efficient and they chose a big fan to keep it quiet.

Loxus

I wouldn't worry about the longevity of the Liquid Metal in the PS5.
The amount they use will last a very long time, even longer than regular TIMs.

As for repairability, I haven't seen it being a problem. There are many videos out there that show the Liquid Metal isn't an issue when doing repairs.

The heatsink is also nickel plated, so there is no reason to worry about corrosion either.

There is also a foam-cushioned pouch that keeps their liquid metal confined to the surface of the chip.

Something else in the console will likely fail first, so it's unlikely to be an issue at all.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
What is considered huge?
I would consider how loud my PS4 Pro would get as huge

The difference between these current consoles while noticeable to me is nothing.

And again I hear mine because I sometimes play without sound and my consoles are sitting right next to one another on my desk just a few feet from me ears.

Depending on what side of the console war camp you are on.

I don't console war though

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
My statement was in general, on how most of these threads go with hyperbole and fudshittery. Same people to boot.

I swear, all we do is remaster threads on this site. I read the same arguments from TLOU to hardware every single week.
No doubt I hated the warring that this place had become and love the crackdown the mods went on and hope they keep it up

Loxus

Since your using tests outside of this video, I'll do the same.

PS5 and Xbox Series X: temperatures and noise compared
Let's start from the Xbox vertically. Watch Dogs: Legion made the console reach a temperature that fluctuated between 49.5 and 50 degrees with a noise level of 38 decibels.

Let's move on then to PS5 vertically. Spider-man: Miles Morales made the console reach a variable temperature between 49 and 50 degrees. A value therefore extremely close to that of Series X even if with a wider spectrum. The noise level instead oscillated between 41 and 41.5 decibels.

I don't know where you got your numbers from but the XBSX is loud also by your standards.

But this time it's only a 3dB difference.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Since your using tests outside of this video, I'll do the same.

PS5 and Xbox Series X: temperatures and noise compared
Let's start from the Xbox vertically. Watch Dogs: Legion made the console reach a temperature that fluctuated between 49.5 and 50 degrees with a noise level of 38 decibels.

Let's move on then to PS5 vertically. Spider-man: Miles Morales made the console reach a variable temperature between 49 and 50 degrees. A value therefore extremely close to that of Series X even if with a wider spectrum. The noise level instead oscillated between 41 and 41.5 decibels.

I don't know where you got your numbers from but the XBSX is loud also by your standards.

But this time it's only a 3dB difference.
The retard part about all of this.

Those decibels are measured with the microphone right in the sphincter of the machine. You won't hear that decibel level at a normal sitting distance while playing a game, any more than you would hear someone whispering into someone's ear at the same distance while watching a movie or playing a game.

It's all so damned retarded, full stop. I put my ear all the way up to my new PS5DE and I hear a light whirl, as one should, it has moving parts... sitting on the couch, I don't hear shit, even with a game on mute.

I swear, some of you need help. Mentally.

PUNKem733

I didn't say it did, I said I wonder how far it could be pushed. People overclock PC parts all the time with no additional cooling, it's perfectly reasonable to speculate on what could be achieved here.
That is all fine and dandy, but you made it seem like the fan speed was what you meant.

Razvedka

Banned
The retard part about all of this.

Those decibels are measured with the microphone right in the sphincter of the machine. You won't hear that decibel level at a normal sitting distance while playing a game, any more than you would hear someone whispering into someone's ear at the same distance while watching a movie or playing a game.

It's all so damned retarded, full stop. I put my ear all the way up to my new PS5DE and I hear a light whirl, as one should, it has moving parts... sitting on the couch, I don't hear shit, even with a game on mute.

I swear, some of you need help. Mentally.
"The sphincter of the machine". My life has been woefully incomplete until this moment.

How is dual motherboards innovative?

Especially since that's been around in PC since like forever.
I thought the XSX was a console. Why are you bringing up the PC? How many consoles had a dual motherboard design?

It is impressive how modular the XSX is as well. MS has really nailed hardware design.

smaller, not small. 2 different things. both consoles are great.
I never said either console wasn't great that's why I bought them both. I also never said the XSX was small either.

I do have some issues with that noise profile of the PS5 but it is mainly noticeable when compared to the XSX. It is obviously better than PS3. I wish mine didn't have coil whine though.

Vagos48

I thought the XSX was a console. Why are you bringing up the PC? How many consoles had a dual motherboard design?

It is impressive how modular the XSX is as well. MS has really nailed hardware design.

I never said either console wasn't great that's why I bought them both. I also never said the XSX was small either.

I do have some issues with that noise profile of the PS5 but it is mainly noticeable when compared to the XSX. It is obviously better than PS3. I wish mine didn't have coil whine though.
Actually the dual board design is one of the weaknesses of XSX. I understand it's a trade off to reduce size, but performance wise it imposes a power penalty as the cross connector requires a lot of bandwidth. This means that XSX is drawing more power than it would in a single board configuration, concluding to lower performance ceiling.

Actually the dual board design is one of the weaknesses of XSX. I understand it's a trade off to reduce size, but performance wise it imposes a power penalty as the cross connector requires a lot of bandwidth. This means that XSX is drawing more power than it would in a single board configuration, concluding to lower performance ceiling.
I thought the XSX already drew less power than the PS5 and they have similar performance profiles. This is the first I've heard that the split motherboard was a design flaw. To have a higher computational output potential despite the issue you think exists with its motherboard design would make it even more impressive not less.

Banjo64

cumsessed
My PS5 DE is what I would consider whisper quiet. It’s a fantastic piece of engineering coming from the PS4 and PS4 Pro. I have it on my desk around 2 feet from my head and I can’t hear it at all, even during silent sequences, unless I literally press my ear to it (which isn’t exactly normal behaviour).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

That is some HORSE SHIT.
My 3080 founders edition is WAY louder than ps5.
It's like a small jet inside my pc with the fan spinning at 2100rpm at 80c.... like constantly the card is at 100% use when I paly new games like Guardians of the galaxy.
And all my other fans are capped at 700-800rpm... and that hum is more comparable to ps5.
When I play Demons Souls or something else, I can hear just slight hum and some tiny tiny coil whine when I get close...

And guru3d review measured 3080 fe in stress at 38db... and ps5 APPEARS quieter.

Yes it is. Why are you so frikkin' defensive of your precious console?
I don't care if it's Xbox or Playstation, nearing 50db is not silent at all!

That is some HORSE SHIT.
My 3080 founders edition is WAY louder than ps5.

Your 3080 is also twice as powerful than a console.
Also founders editions are known for not being silent, reference GPUs are much quieter:

ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC
42°C​
Fan Stop​
63°C​
35 dBA​
2014 RPM​
ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC (Quiet BIOS)
43°C​
Fan Stop​
71°C​
31 dBA​
1562 RPM​
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
48°C​
Fan Stop​
73°C​
31 dBA​
1715 RPM​
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 (OC BIOS)
27°C​
26 dBA​
68°C​
34 dBA​
1968 RPM​
MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio
44°C​
Fan Stop​
76°C​
32 dBA​
1500 RPM​
MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio (Low Temp BIOS)
41°C​
Fan Stop​
65°C​
34 dBA​
1838 RPM​
Palit RTX 3080 Gaming Pro OC
49°C​
Fan Stop​
72°C​
36 dBA​
1965 RPM​
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition
34°C​
Fan Stop​
78°C​
36 dBA​
1977 RPM​
ZOTAC RTX 3080 Trinity
50°C​
Fan Stop​
73°C​
32 dBA​
1520 RPM​

That is a massive difference compared to consoles, especially is you have a silent PC case!

Last edited:
All the people that complain about PS5's coil whine are trolls?
the people that think that are probably the same people who said their ps4 was whisper quiet also

I’d actually rank the ps5 the second worst engineered console in their family…it solved the hairdryer issue the ps4 had but instead we got this absolutely huge console …which they forgot to properly insulate the capacitors properly on the power board so it’s a lotto of who has the home tattoo machine

their dualsense is also a great idea let down by crap engineering as these things break way too easy because they

hoping the mid gen refresh gives us something which you can fit in your average tv cabinet and doesn’t have any other design flaws and that they work on a better tension system in their dual sense controllers instead of crappy little springs

would love to see a proper Sony elite controller

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yes it is. Why are you so frikkin' defensive of your precious console?
I don't care if it's Xbox or Playstation, nearing 50db is not silent at all!

Your 3080 is also twice as powerful than a console.
Also founders editions are known for not being silent, reference GPUs are much quieter:

ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC
42°C​
Fan Stop​
63°C​
35 dBA​
2014 RPM​
ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC (Quiet BIOS)
43°C​
Fan Stop​
71°C​
31 dBA​
1562 RPM​
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
48°C​
Fan Stop​
73°C​
31 dBA​
1715 RPM​
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 (OC BIOS)
27°C​
26 dBA​
68°C​
34 dBA​
1968 RPM​
MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio
44°C​
Fan Stop​
76°C​
32 dBA​
1500 RPM​
MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio (Low Temp BIOS)
41°C​
Fan Stop​
65°C​
34 dBA​
1838 RPM​
Palit RTX 3080 Gaming Pro OC
49°C​
Fan Stop​
72°C​
36 dBA​
1965 RPM​
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition
34°C​
Fan Stop​
78°C​
36 dBA​
1977 RPM​
ZOTAC RTX 3080 Trinity
50°C​
Fan Stop​
73°C​
32 dBA​
1520 RPM​

That is a massive difference compared to consoles, especially is you have a silent PC case!
Yeah I know all that. I just said it as my noise refeernce.
Silent cases are a scam though. Just makes your stuff run hotter/louder heh.
I have phanteks p600s. It's pretty quiet for how open it is

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I’m happy with both, my ps5 has some slight coil whine like I think they all do but it can’t be heard from normal sitting distance. You have to stick your head next to it.

Corndog

Banned
Have any of these testing guys tried replacing it with thermal compound and check how it performed? Would be interesting to see how much difference it makes.

skit_data

Why would you need to repair it, unless it leaks (and if it does, it certainly should be protected by the warranty)?

I’m less concerned by the long term longevity of the thermal solution of the PS5 than I’ve ever been for any previous console. In theory, the thermal compound will never need replacement.

Edit: The only part I’m even slightly worried about is the storage being soldered onto the MB, but the slow write speed shouldn’t make make it a problem for 99/100 people. Only people who would purposely write tons of data off for many years in a row run the risk of having to replace it.

Last edited:
Have any of these testing guys tried replacing it with thermal compound and check how it performed? Would be interesting to see how much difference it makes.

Yes there is a video like that where someone replaced the liquid metal with thermal paste.

Long story short it makes a pretty significant difference. Sony made the right call with using liquid metal instead of thermal paste.

Last edited:
Top Bottom