• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Hardware Busters] Xbox Series X Thermals, Power & Noise - Full Tear Down & Comparison with PS5

Tripolygon

Banned
You still don't seem to get it Hobbygaming Hobbygaming so I will let Mark Cerny explain it to you.

"We don't use the actual temperature of the die, as that would cause two types of variance between PS5s," explains Mark Cerny. "One is variance caused by differences in ambient temperature; the console could be in a hotter or cooler location in the room. The other is variance caused by the individual custom chip in the console, some chips run hotter and some chips run cooler. So instead of using the temperature of the die, we use an algorithm in which the frequency depends on CPU and GPU activity information. That keeps behaviour between PS5s consistent."

Temperature is what ultimately determines the operating fan curve but it does not play a role in their variable frequency strategy. As it would cause each chip to perform differently depending on ambient temperature.

"The behaviour of all PS5s is the same," says Cerny. "If you play the same game and go to the same location in the game, it doesn't matter which custom chip you have and what its transistors are like. It doesn't matter if you put it in your stereo cabinet or your refrigerator, your PS5 will get the same frequencies for CPU and GPU as any other PS5."

"The time constant, which is to say the amount of time that the CPU and GPU take to achieve a frequency that matches their activity, is critical to developers," adds Cerny. "It's quite short, if the game is doing power-intensive processing for a few frames, then it gets throttled. There isn't a lag where extra performance is available for several seconds or several minutes and then the system gets throttled; that isn't the world that developers want to live in - we make sure that the PS5 is very responsive to power consumed. In addition to that the developers have feedback on exactly how much power is being used by the CPU and GPU."

Mark Cerny sees a time where developers will begin to optimise their game engines in a different way - to achieve optimal performance for the given power level. "Power plays a role when optimising. If you optimise and keep the power the same you see all of the benefit of the optimisation. If you optimise and increase the power then you're giving a bit of the performance back. What's most interesting here is optimisation for power consumption, if you can modify your code so that it has the same absolute performance but reduced power then that is a win. "

In short, the idea is that developers may learn to optimise in a different way, by achieving identical results from the GPU but doing it faster via increased clocks delivered by optimising for power consumption. "

Noise does not factor into the PS5 variable frequency strategy. It is about power draw when the processor is doing actual work.

Great Hair

Banned
I'm sorry, but 38-48db in game is way too frikkin' loud.
Yes it is.
Why are you so frikkin' defensive of your precious console?
2020 PS5 (old fan) vs PS4 turbo jet engine

I don't care
If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

oldergamer

That is some HORSE SHIT.
My 3080 founders edition is WAY louder than ps5.
It's like a small jet inside my pc with the fan spinning at 2100rpm at 80c.... like constantly the card is at 100% use when I paly new games like Guardians of the galaxy.
And all my other fans are capped at 700-800rpm... and that hum is more comparable to ps5.
When I play Demons Souls or something else, I can hear just slight hum and some tiny tiny coil whine when I get close...

And guru3d review measured 3080 fe in stress at 38db... and ps5 APPEARS quieter.
bad comparison. do you sit next to your PS5 or console as close as a PC? Still its too loud imo for something in an entertainment center. My PS3 is crazy loud and it drove me nuts. Xbox consoles have been pretty good about noise after the 360.

rofif

Banned
bad comparison. do you sit next to your PS5 or console as close as a PC? Still its too loud imo for something in an entertainment center. My PS3 is crazy loud and it drove me nuts. Xbox consoles have been pretty good about noise after the 360.
I do sit about as close to both...
voSnMlQ.jpeg

Ps5 is simply quieter than pc with 3080fe and be quiet silent wings 3 fans locked at only 700rpm....

Top Bottom