• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Hardware Unboxed] 2019 Amazon PC hardware sales

Ascend

Recap;
This is sales through Hardware Unboxed affiliate links, not Amazon as a whole. How different these would be is debatable.

CPU Sales
  • Total AMD vs Intel CPUs: 3 to 1 ratio
  • Entry Level CPUs: 98% Ryzen 3 vs 2% i3
  • Mid range CPUs: 86% Ryzen 5 vs 14% i5
  • High End CPUs: 70% Ryzen 7 vs 30% i7
  • Flagship CPUs: 20% Ryzen 9 vs 80% i9
  • Ryzen 7 outsold i7 and i9 combined.
  • The R5 3600 and 3600X alone sold 82% compared to 18% of ALL i5 CPUs.
  • Top 5 CPUs are R5 2600 (16%), i9 9900k (10%), R5 3600 (9%), R5 2600X (9%), R7 2700X (7%)
  • AMD has 7 of the 10 top selling CPUs.

GPU sales
  • Total nVidia vs AMD GPUs: 58% vs 42%
  • $400+ GPUs: 66% nVidia vs 34% AMD
  • $300 - $400 GPUs: 80% nVidia vs 20% AMD
  • $200 - $300 GPUs: 72% nVidia vs 28% AMD
  • Below $200 GPUs: 18% nVidia vs 82% AMD
  • ~$350 GPUs for 2nd half of 2019: 64% nVidia, 36% AMD
  • $400 - $500 GPUs for 2nd half of 2019: 66% 5700XT, 10% RTX 2060, 8% RTX 2070, 16% RTX 2070 Super
  • Top 5 GPUs are RTX 2060 (13%), GTX 1660 Ti (12%), 5700XT (11%), RX 580 8GB (10%), Pascal Family (7%). If you think Pascal doesn't count, the next one would be the RX 570 at 6%.
  • nVidia has 6 of the 10 top selling GPUs.
  • RTX Super cards percentage of total sales: RTX 2070 Super 3%, RTX 2060 Super 2%, RTX 2080 Super 1%
  • RTX Non super cards: RTX 2060 13%, RTX 2070 6%, RTX 2080 6%.
  • nVidia's top 3 brands: MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA
  • AMD's top 3 brands: Sapphire, XFX, PowerColor

Motherboard Sales
  • Total Intel vs AMD Chipsets: 38 % vs 62%
  • Z370/Z390 vs X470/X570: 55% vs 45%
  • B360/B365/H370 vs B350/B450: 9% vs 91%
  • Intel high end vs mid range: 92% vs 8%
  • AMD high end vs mid range: 47% vs 53%
  • Top 5 chipsets: Z390 (31%), B450(30%), X570 (18%), X470 (10%), Z370(3%)
  • Top 3 brands: MSI, Gigabyte, Asus
  • Top 3 AMD brands: MSI, Asus, Gigabyte
  • Top 3 Intel brands: Gigabyte, MSI, Asus
  • Top 3 B450 brands: MSI, Asus, Asrock
  • Top 3 X570 brands: Asus, Gigabyte, MSI,
  • Top 3 Z390 brands: Gigabyte. MSI, Asus

RAM sales
  • 73% bought 16GB RAM kits, 18% bought 32GB and 8% bought 8GB.
  • 60% of all RAM sales are of the brand Corsair. G.Skill at 2nd place is only 15%.
  • DDR4-3200 was the most popular at 47%, followed by DDR4-3000 at 28%.
  • DDR4-2666 was 10% of sales.
  • DDR4-3600/3733 was 8% of sales
  • DDR4-4000+ was less than 2% of sales

Monitor sales
  • 42% of sales were for 1440p 144-165Hz
  • 35% of sales were for 1080p 144-165Hz
  • 10% of sales were for 1440p 21:9
  • Total 4K monitors were approximately 3% only, while 1080p 60-75Hz was 5% of sales
  • High refresh 240Hz+ 1080p monitors were less than 2%
  • Top 3 selling brands were Viotek (26%), LG (21%), and Acer (10%)
  • Most of Asus sales (7%) were premium monitors.
  • Most of Dell sales (5%) were ultrawide monitors.
  • Samsung's sales were only 3%.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

didnt know AMD sold more CPUs than Intel.

ill stick to with my I7 but damn I am impressed. I always thought its the other way around.

Leonidas

didnt know AMD sold more CPUs than Intel.

They don't, but they do dominate sub $200 DIY sales, mostly since their solid 2000 series has become really cheap. You could pick up 6 Cores at $100 and 8 Cores at $150 (or less) for the past few years, those are the CPUs that has allowed AMD to get a 2.4% increase desktop market share (to 18.3%) in 2019.

At their current rate of 2.4% increase per year they would sell more CPUs in 2033...

It's hard to belive that GPU ratio, good if true.

Not surprising considering it's the Hardware Unboxed viewership.
HUB strongly recommends 5700 XT and has reviewed many 5700 XT models. They reviewed a single 2070 Super when it launched, the FE model.
In pretty much every sub-$200 review for most of the year they basically said buy RX 570/580.

Not surprising that a higher number of their viewers buy what they promote.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, not really Amazon sales data, but viewers of hardware unboxed data. Useless in the grand scheme of things and misleading in the title implying all of Amazon sales. Youtube Channel Hardware Sales Poll or similar doesn't make for a great title I guess?

Last edited:

Ascend

So, not really Amazon sales data, but viewers of hardware unboxed data. Useless in the grand scheme of things and misleading in the title implying all of Amazon sales. Youtube Channel Hardware Sales Poll or similar doesn't make for a great title I guess?
I added a clarification line in the first post. Not that I personally think it will all differ all that much. They clearly never recommended the 3800X for example, since the 3700X is practically the same for less money, but still people bought them about equally.

Dennisonr

Neo Member

No, AMD is actually destroying intel on cpu sells on amazon.

And there is german e-tailor site thats like newegg where AMD is also destroying intel in cpu sales, although i dont remember the name. Have to search.

Intel got too arrogant by not taking AMD seriously as a competitor. You would think they would remember 2003, when AMD destroyed their pentium 4 cpus in performance and sells.

Never assume your enemy will not come back strong or it will come back to bite you very hard.

Leonidas

For those wondering here is the data from HUB viewer buying. The top selling Ryzen CPUs are $200 or less. The top selling Intel CPUs are $350-$600.
8L0adCb.png

vUvQAid.png

I'm surprised Nvidia did this well with HUB viewers considering HUB has bashed RTX since 2018 and they didn't review any RTX Super GPUs (other than the FE).

Last edited:

ChrisB

They don't, but they do dominate sub $200 DIY sales, mostly since their solid 2000 series has become really cheap. You could pick up 6 Cores at $100 and 8 Cores at $150 (or less) for the past few years, those are the CPUs that has allowed AMD to get a 2.4% increase desktop market share (to 18.3%) in 2019.

At their current rate of 2.4% increase per year they would sell more CPUs in 2033...

I'm confused, so correct me if my thinking is off.

Market Share and Sales are 2 different metrics.
For AMD to be gaining Market Share they must be outselling Intel, else how would they be gaining ground?

Mecha Meow

Same. Doesn't every enthusiast only G.Skill? Never met anyone that buys anything other than G.Skill if they know enough to build a computer.

I've been using Micron Ballistix ram for 10+ years and its just as good as the top stuff tbh.

Just bought two more orders of this excellent deal earlier for family and an alt build:

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd its gone

Last edited:

V2Tommy

I've been using Micron Ballistix ram for 10+ years and its just as good as the top stuff tbh.

Just bought two more orders of this excellent deal earlier for family and an alt build:

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd its gone

Oh, I wasn’t commenting on quality at all, only reputation. But really, nothing Micron beats Samsung B-Die when you’re swinging for the fences. I was running 4266-19-19-39 in 2017 right out of the box with zero trial and error.

Mecha Meow

Oh, I wasn’t commenting on quality at all, only reputation. But really, nothing Micron beats Samsung B-Die when you’re swinging for the fences. I was running 4266-19-19-39 in 2017 right out of the box with zero trial and error.

Indeed, shit like that is fun with apu builds to see what can be pushed and pulled.

Mecha Meow

I use 1440/165hz. 4K is still years away.

Eh, even though I went back to a 1440/144hz monitor (4k monitor is now used for my Switch and Bluray upscaler), I had no issues playing many games released in the past few years at 4k60 with minimal setting tweaks using a 1080ti (and even a 1080 and 1070 using certain games/MMOs)

4k/144hz is years away from being normal

Last edited:

pr0cs

I'm just glad amd is seriously competitive in the CPU market, I was so disappointed with the intel dirty tricks back in the early athlon days, was hoping to see amd finally stick it to intel.
My son is building a new 3600x kit, I'm curious to see how it turns out

Kenpachii

Yeah fuck 4k monitors. 1440p is the perfect spot.

4k is utterly useless for PC just look at this

6e1e21b0a8f9364f08791639d0e21a32.png

Also the hit on FPS at 4k simple isn't worth it, unless they can work with dlss to increase framerate drastically but devs will just be pushed the ultra settings at that point which again makes 4k useless.

4k is useful and even 8k for consoles as they use TV's.

I'm just glad amd is seriously competitive in the CPU market, I was so disappointed with the intel dirty tricks back in the early athlon days, was hoping to see amd finally stick it to intel.
My son is building a new 3600x kit, I'm curious to see how it turns out

I don't the fact that intel kept the 4/8 solution going for a long time, made there cpu's have insane value. There was no need to upgrade.

Look at the shit fest we got going on right now. where every single year more cores are introduced. Now imagine devs using those cores instead of optimizing and just bloat there code over it. Yea good luck having to upgrade every year or so again.

while 4/8 was perfectly fine 2 years ago, its now considered dead meat, even people buying 6/12 cores now could possible already hit a wall next year with performance because there is a high chance we hit 8/16 core solutions.

For those wondering here is the data from HUB viewer buying. The top selling Ryzen CPUs are $200 or less. The top selling Intel CPUs are $350-$600.
8L0adCb.png

vUvQAid.png

I'm surprised Nvidia did this well with HUB viewers considering HUB has bashed RTX since 2018 and they didn't review any RTX Super GPUs (other than the FE).

Kinda pointless to even post sales without supers. those cards are probably the main cards sold.

Also not suprising about the 2600, honestly 2600/2700 are probably the best bank for buck CPU's with 3600 after it for more single core performance.

Intel is behind big time, the only CPU they got with 12 threads is 8700k and 9900k. the 8700k is a dead platform that nobody wants anymore and 9900k is expensive as shit for most people.

There is no reason to move for budget hunters or your average PC gamer towards a intel cpu so not shocked on that front. Also not shocked at the high end being intel.

Honestly intel messed up big time with there 9000 series and reduced cores

Last edited:

pr0cs

Now imagine devs using those cores instead of optimizing and just bloat there code over it.
Nah, code is either designed from the start or not over multicore (translation, mostly not very well)
It's something we still don't do very well and hopefully improve as core count rises

Leonidas

I don't the fact that intel kept the 4/8 solution going for a long time, made there cpu's have insane value. There was no need to upgrade.

4/8 Intel CPUs holding their value was a positive as it allowed me multiple upgrades over the years at no additional cost.

Ryzen 3000 is good, but at twice the price of Ryzen 2000 it's abysmal value making upgrades questionable at best.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
oh wow nobody is buying 4k monitors... makes me question my lg 27uk650 4k 40-60 freesync ips. I've got it because I play at 60fps anyway (all souls games are 60) and I've had 240hz... it's cool but a bit overrated. I prefer better 4k panel quality. Maybe not even for resolution but 4k ips panels tend to have more even colors and less bleeding

iHaunter

Eh, even though I went back to a 1440/144hz monitor (4k monitor is now used for my Switch and Bluray upscaler), I had no issues playing many games released in the past few years at 4k60 with minimal setting tweaks using a 1080ti (and even a 1080 and 1070 using certain games/MMOs)

4k/144hz is years away from being normal

That's what I mean. I prefer upscaled 1440p/165hz over 4K 60. My 2080Ti upscales the resolution of the textures anyway.

PhoenixTank

A lot of people on this forum are...

:messenger_tears_of_joy:
Classy response to what looks to me like an honest question.
Market Share and Sales are 2 different metrics.
For AMD to be gaining Market Share they must be outselling Intel, else how would they be gaining ground?
Market share is the proportion of sales in a given market, most often given as a percentage and for a certain time period. Example numbers here: AMD going from 2% to 4% market share while Intel drops from 95% to 93% is a doubling in share for AMD, but doesn't halve Intel's share. In a market of 200 units AMD gets 8, Intel gets 186.
AMD are gaining sales relative to their previous piece of the pie.
More than a bit woolly headed today, but I'm reasonably sure that is right.

Bolivar687

Banned
Not surprised to see the community coalescing around high refresh rate Full and WQHD panels. It sucks that the consoles are beholden to display manufacturers and chasing 4K while the rest of us are enjoying high framerates and clean visuals anyway.

llien

For those who didn't watch the video: these are things bought by people who clicked on HU amazon links and bought stuff.

In real world, AMD is at around 18% global CPU market share (the rest is Intel) and around 35% in GPU market.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

My current PC is 6 years old and I’m going for a full upgrade. Something high-tier but not crazy expensive.
Would you say the Ryzen is a worthy purchase?
But what do you want to do with it? Current monitor resolution & refresh rate? I'm pretty happy with my 3950X but have very different use cases to most!
If it is just a general consideration thing, then yeah Ryzen 3000 desktop is more than worth a look.

Check in with the PC build thread:

Last edited:

Leonidas

I'll take that response as your initial position was your typical biased stance as opposed to be based on facts.

My position in this thread is 100% based on facts. You on the other hand seem to have limited ability in how math works, give your school system my condolences.

llien

Since it isn't about "total CPUs ever produced" but rather about CPUs sold in recent time period, well, it depends on what you call "outselling".
For CPUs sold last year, 15 out of 100 were by AMD.
This year 18 out of 100 are.
Does it fit your concept of "outselling"?

If you wonder, how come, only 18, most of CPUs sold are inside complete PCs produced by OEMs. Do it yourself market is a small fraction (less one 6th) of the total market.

Thanati

But what do you want to do with it? Current monitor resolution & refresh rate? I'm pretty happy with my 3950X but have very different use cases to most!
If it is just a general consideration thing, then yeah Ryzen 3000 desktop is more than worth a look.

Check in with the PC build thread:
Great. Thanks!

Ascend

4/8 Intel CPUs holding their value was a positive as it allowed me multiple upgrades over the years at no additional cost.

Ryzen 3000 is good, but at twice the price of Ryzen 2000 it's abysmal value making upgrades questionable at best.
giphy.gif

llien

The following charts give a better overview of DIY sales:

AMD GPUs, 43% of units sold, but 35% of the revenue.

Radeon Division bestselling GPU Series are:

1. RX 5700 Series = 740 Units
  2. RX 570 Series = 240 Units
  3. RX 590 Series = 210 Units
  4. RX 5600 Series = 160 Units

Nvidia bestselling GPUs Series are:

1. RTX 2070 Series = 715 Units
  2. RTX 1660 Series = 465 Units
  3. RTX 2060 Series = 300 Units
  4. RTX 2080 Series = 160 Units

The average selling price difference for GPUs, this is actually very similar to average selling price differences in CPUs between Intel and AMD e.g. around 37.5%.
Average selling price AMD was €282.09 = 100%
Average selling price Nvidia was €407.89 = 144.6%

Last edited:

Ascend

The following charts give a better overview of DIY sales:

AMD GPUs, 43% of units sold, but 35% of the revenue.

Radeon Division bestselling GPU Series are:

1. RX 5700 Series = 740 Units
  2. RX 570 Series = 240 Units
  3. RX 590 Series = 210 Units
  4. RX 5600 Series = 160 Units

Nvidia bestselling GPUs Series are:

1. RTX 2070 Series = 715 Units
  2. RTX 1660 Series = 465 Units
  3. RTX 2060 Series = 300 Units
  4. RTX 2080 Series = 160 Units

The average selling price difference for GPUs, this is actually very similar to average selling price differences in CPUs between Intel and AMD e.g. around 37.5%.
Average selling price AMD was €282.09 = 100%
Average selling price Nvidia was €407.89 = 144.6%

Weekly data is a lot more volatile than yearly data. Things can look completely different next week. So it's not fair to compare them. Not to mention the market is quite different today than even December of 2019, since a few additional products have been released. And it's not unexpected that AMD's revenue is lower, considering the amount of cheap Polaris cards that are being sold. But the 5700 series is doing slightly better than the RTX 2070 for that particular week.

On a side-note, GamersNexus confirmed that through their affiliate links, 93% of sales were for AMD CPUs.

My position in this thread is 100% based on facts. You on the other hand seem to have limited ability in how math works, give your school system my condolences.
When you spend more time claiming that you're providing facts than doing the actual action, that tells everyone that your position is far from 100% based on facts.

Also, your damage control game has greatly fallen off lately. I nearly forgot you existed until I stumbled upon this thread.

Ascend

What are you on about? AMD CPUs are selling more than Intel CPUs today. You're deliberately conflating market share with sales to try and say that AMD is not outselling Intel.

Let me put it this way. Imagine you have two buckets, both with water. The amount of water is the market share. The amount of water droplets added to the bucket is the amount of CPU sales at any given moment.
Currently, the water level on the Intel bucket is a lot higher, but the difference in water levels between the buckets is decreasing. In order for the difference in water level to decrease, AMD needs to be adding more droplets to their bucket per day than Intel is to their own bucket. There is no going around this.

llien

Weekly data is a lot more volatile than yearly data. Things can look completely different next week.
They could, but they looked the same the last week:

And, by the way, DIY CPU side (mindfactory sales):

But remember, DIY is about 16% of the total market.

Last edited:

Ascend

They could, but they looked the same the last week:

And, by the way, DIY CPU side (mindfactory sales):

But remember, DIY is about 16% of the total market.

I am not saying your data is not reliable. I am saying that comparing weekly data to yearly data is sort of an apples to oranges comparison. Weekly data is better to show what people are buying right now. As I mentioned, today the market is already different than December. Yearly data is more reliable for general long term trends and sentiment.

Top Bottom