• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Hardware Unboxed] 2019 Amazon PC hardware sales

llien

Leonidas Leonidas
Intel wipes the floor with AMD at OEMs (inertia and corruption, cough), AMD wipes the floor with Intel at DIY. (at both number of units AND total revenue)
What is there to argue about?

I am not saying your data is not reliable. I am saying that comparing weekly data to yearly data is sort of an apples to oranges comparison. Weekly data is better to show what people are buying right now. As I mentioned, today the market is already different than December. Yearly data is more reliable for general long term trends and sentiment.
No doubts about that, but note that mindfactory data is inherently closer to real world than what HU is pushing.
People buying something over HU affiliate links are influenced by the content of those videos, whereas MF sales are actual sales that people in DIY market are doing.

Leonidas

Leonidas Leonidas
Intel wipes the floor with AMD at OEMs , AMD wipes the floor with Intel at DIY.
What is there to argue about?

I haven't argued otherwise. I'm just in awe at the fact that some people ITT think AMD gaining 2.4% market share over a year to 18.3% = AMD outselling Intel :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Ascend

I haven't argued otherwise. I'm just in awe at the fact that some people ITT think AMD gaining 2.4% market share over a year to 18.3% = AMD outselling Intel :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Let me spell it out, since you're either being deliberately obtuse, or you simply are not getting it. In either case, it is good to clarify what is being meant, so that other people don't get deceived by biased propaganda.

Intel outselling AMD at any point in time = Increased market share for Intel, decreased market share for AMD
Intel and AMD selling equal at any point in time = market share remains equal for both AMD and Intel
AMD outselling Intel at any point in time = decreased market share for Intel, increased market share for AMD.

The last one is exactly what is happening right now. No one is saying that over the existence of the companies AMD has sold more than Intel, which is what you are attempting to argue in order to dismiss any sort of gains that AMD is making.

Leonidas

Let me spell it out, since you're either being deliberately obtuse, or you simply are not getting it. In either case, it is good to clarify what is being meant, so that other people don't get deceived by biased propaganda.

Intel outselling AMD at any point in time = Increased market share for Intel, decreased market share for AMD
Intel and AMD selling equal at any point in time = market share remains equal for both AMD and Intel
AMD outselling Intel at any point in time = decreased market share for Intel, increased market share for AMD.

The last one is exactly what is happening right now. No one is saying that over the existence of the companies AMD has sold more than Intel, which is what you are attempting to argue in order to dismiss any sort of gains that AMD is making.

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Wat, AMD is even close to Nvidia in graphics card ratio.

Their profits as a company are so shit comparatively though. They need to increase margins.

Leonidas, must you show your insecurity about Intel in every thread?

Don't worry, they've got lots of 14nm desktop CPUs coming for you, all the way until 2021, so be happy 😂

(if you think it looks bad now, wait until AMD's 7nm mobile CPUs drop, and then 7nm+ Ryzen 4000 on desktop)

Glad to see the 2600 chugging along in that list.

I know the 3600 is all the rage but I love my 2600. Bought it a few months ago for like $110 and the price to performance on that thing is bonkers. Such a great little CPU at a bargain price.

Leonidas

Leonidas, must you show your insecurity about Intel in every thread?

I've done nothing in this thread but post facts and laugh at ignorant posts.

(if you think it looks bad now, wait until AMD's 7nm mobile CPUs drop, and then 7nm+ Ryzen 4000 on desktop)

Wait for Zen 1000
Wait for Zen Mobile
Wait for Zen 2000
Wait for Zen 3000 Mobile
Wait for Zen 3000

Wait for Zen 4000 Mobile
Wait for Zen 4000

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
While I'm here, how does anyone keep track of GPU lineups these days? Is there a comprehensive chart showing general compute power levels?

Leonidas

Calling something ignorant does not necessarily make it ignorant. It does say a lot about your character though.

You called me obtuse :messenger_tears_of_joy:
At least I understand the market share numbers I posted and how market share numbers work. Huge irony for you to call me obtuse then show your lack of knowledge of the numbers.

Last edited:

Ascend

You called me obtuse :messenger_tears_of_joy:
At least I understand the market share numbers I posted and how market share numbers work. Huge irony for you to call me obtuse then show your lack of knowledge of the numbers.
I guess we can once again confirm you really love to cherry-pick information that suits your preconceived agenda. Paraphrasing, I said that you are possibly being deliberately obtuse. That is VERY different from simply calling you obtuse. Now I am quite sure that you are being deliberately obtuse. You know damn well what the truth is, but it's inconvenient to face it, so, you act that way.

But this exchange with you has no purpose. It is derailing the thread, which I wouldn't be surprised if it was your intention in the first place. So I will no longer be replying to you in this thread. Goodbye.

Competition is great! Wonder if the Ryzen 3950x will catch up to the high end by next year? Totally a shill though I always buy AMD and have stock.

Irobot82

To Leonidas point, let say Intel sells 100 units a day and AMD sells 10. If Intel still sells 100 units a day and AMD now sells 20 units a day. It's market share will increase but it isn't outselling Intel.

LordPezix

To Leonidas point, let say Intel sells 100 units a day and AMD sells 10. If Intel still sells 100 units a day and AMD now sells 20 units a day. It's market share will increase but it isn't outselling Intel.

True.

Now let's do math.

Intel = 100 Units a Day | AMD = 10 Units a Day | Total Units Sold in a Day = 110.

Intel Units Sold/Total Units Sold = 100/110 = .909 (*100) 90.9%
AMD Units Sold/Total Units Sold = 10/110 = .09(*100) .09%

Intel Market Share = 90.9%
AMD Market Share = .09%

With the increased unit sales now.

Intel = 100 Units a Day | AMD = 20 Units a Day | Total Units Sold in a Day = 120

Intel Units Sold/Total Units Sold = 100/120 = .833(*100) 83.3%
AMD Units Sold/Total Units Sold = 20/120 = .166(*100) 16.6%

Intel Market Share = 83.3%
AMD Market Share = 16.6%

Old Intel Unit Sales = 100 | Old Intel Market Share 90.9%
New Intel Unit Sales = 100 | New Intel Market Share 83.3%

Old AMD Unit Sales = 10 | Old AMD Market Share .09%
New AMD Unit Sales = 20 | New AMD Market Share 16.6%

As you can see, Market Share Growth != Outselling.

This post was completely useless.

NewEgg seems to agree:

NPBB8Nc.png

PhoenixTank

True.

Now let's do math.

Intel = 100 Units a Day | AMD = 10 Units a Day | Total Units Sold in a Day = 110.

AMD Market Share = .09%

Intel = 100 Units a Day | AMD = 20 Units a Day | Total Units Sold in a Day = 120

AMD Market Share = 16.6%

Nah, not useless. I think the source of confusion might be people conflating this with how we see consoles. There we'd care about monthly ratios but also the total number of consoles that have been sold.

Ascend

True.

Now let's do math.

AMD Market Share = .09%

AMD Market Share = 16.6%

After doing the math myself, well, it seems you are right. AMD doesn't need to outsell Intel to increase market share. All they need to do is improve the ratio of selling within the market, and as long as that ratio is higher than the current market share, AMD's market share will increase. I started doing my own calculation, because yours was not convincing to me. And I didn't think it was representative at all, because you ignored historical data which didn't make it clear enough. Let me show you how I came to this conclusion. It might make it clear for others as well

At some point within the last 5 years, Intel had 80% market share, and AMD had 20%. Let's use that as a starting point for simplicity. And also for simplicity, we'll use easy to use numbers...
Intel Total CPUs sold: 800,000
AMD Total CPUs sold: 200,000

Now, let's use your numbers. Intel sells 100 units a day. AMD sells 10 units a day. After 100 days;
Intel has: 810,000
AMD has: 201,000
What is the market share now?
Intel: 810k / (810k+201k) = 80.12%
AMD: 201k / 810k+201k) = 19.88%
AMD is losing market share, and Intel's market share increased.

Now let's say AMD's sales double and Intel's stay the same, like you said. So for every 100 CPUs that Intel sells, AMD sells 20 instead of 10. After 100 days again, they have;
AMD has: 202,000
Intel: 810k / (810k+202k) = 80.04%
AMD: 202k / 810k+202k) = 19.96%
AMD is still losing market share, albeit at a slower rate.

What happens if the ratio becomes 100 Intel and 50 AMD? Then;
AMD has: 205,000
Intel: 810k / (810k+205k) = 79.80%
AMD: 205k / 810k+205k) = 20.20%
AMD gained market share in this case, without outselling Intel.

It should be noted though, that in such a case that these sale values remain the same, AMD's market share will never surpass 33.33% and Intel's lowest possible value will be 66.67%. In the case of 100 vs 10, AMD loses market share, because the 'balance point' (don't know what else to call it), is 9.09%, so as long as the ratio is like that, AMD's market share would slowly drift towards that number. The same thing happens with the 100/20 ratio, but in that case the balance point is 16.67%

Now that we have this perspective, and that AMD has risen from 18% in 2016 to 32% in 2019, it's still not unreasonable to assume that AMD is outselling Intel. That is quite a quick rise. It might be possible to calculate, but honestly, I have better things to do with my time.

And thanks for the explanation. I guess I learned something from you, because Leonidas was too much of an ass to explain himself.

Leonidas

Now that we have this perspective, and that AMD has risen from 18% in 2016 to 32% in 2019, it's still not unreasonable to assume that AMD is outselling Intel. That is quite a quick rise. It might be possible to calculate, but honestly, I have better things to do with my time.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
They went from under 22% in 2015 to 43%+ in 2019, and still growing.
Green and blue are at 60%.

Yeah they need it closer to 50%. I think the last financial year their profit was less than $300m, which is shockingly small compared to Intel's ~$8 billion.

Ascend

Leaving this here as a bonus, for some special people.

"German retailer Mindfactory’s figures for November indicate that AMD sold over 25,000 processors, compared to around 5,000 for Intel."

"Of course, we can’t put too much stock (pun not intended) in figures from a single retailer, compared to the bigger picture, but nonetheless they seemingly represent a consistent indication of AMD’s domination – at least in the desktop PC processor market (remember Intel does still rule the overall CPU roost when you take into account the likes of laptops and business PCs).

And don’t forget, other retailers tell a similar story, as we saw very recently from Amazon (and previously from the likes of South Korean operations)."

Keep laughing at AMD outselling Intel in the DIY desktop market.

Irobot82

Ascend Ascend

Most likely AMD is outselling Intel in the DIY market by large margins, but I think Intel still has the OEM market on a huge lockdown. I would guess of all the business PC's and whatnot sold at least in the US is all Intel mostly and that is probably in the millions of units.

Ascend Ascend

Most likely AMD is outselling Intel in the DIY market by large margins, but I think Intel still has the OEM market on a huge lockdown. I would guess of all the business PC's and whatnot sold at least in the US is all Intel mostly and that is probably in the millions of units.
As Linus described in one of his videos, for the longest time, AMD laptops were always the red-headed stepchild in the lonely corner at demo stations. However, the recently announced Renoir-based laptops appear to finally buck that trend. Heck, apparently the CPU portion of a few of the Renoir APUs can outperform the 9700K in some benchmarks, which is a desktop CPU.

Top Bottom