• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hardware Unboxed: 4 Core vs. 6 Core vs. 8 Cores, Core/Cache Scaling

Armorian

Banned

Great benchmarks by HU:

- 4/8 CPUs are finally not the ultimate target for game developers...
- ...6/12 are, and beside SotTR on Radeon GPUs this CPU configuration is enough to max out GPU performance right now
- test confirms again that AMD has less CPU overhead in DX12 games
- cache amount can have large impact on game performance depending on the game (and number of cores)

Armorian

Banned
They also have, even with Xbox far more direct access to HW, so the overhead is not nearly as much.

I think Zen 2 style cache separation is the bigger issue but again... games are developed specifically for this split cache system.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Should have dropped the res to 720p. Good thing I am good with 30 FPS on cinematic AAA games so that my old ass FX 6300 can keep up nicely for this year at least. For next gen 8/16 should be the baseline. With an 6/12 CPU you'll be in no mans land for next gen. Games tested were all made for the PS4 CPU in mind.

This time we won't be able to bruteforce performance with less cores vs the consoles as console CPU have high clockspeeds, modern architectures and IPC.

Armorian

Banned
Should have dropped the res to 720p. Good thing I am good with 30 FPS on cinematic AAA games so that my old ass FX 6300 can keep up nicely for this year at least. For next gen 8/16 should be the baseline. With an 6/12 CPU you'll be in no mans land for next gen. Games tested were all made for the PS4 CPU in mind.

This time we won't be able to bruteforce performance with less cores vs the consoles as console CPU have high clockspeeds, modern architectures and IPC.

I doubt games will magically start to become more multithreaded... It took years to finally jump from 4 to 8 threads. Consoles also don't have all threads available to devs, CPUs lack cache and clock speeds so modern 6\12 cups will easily keep up for years.

Top Bottom