• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Potter series being developed for HBO Max

NeoGiffer

sddefault.jpg

:unsure:

Ememee

Was a big Harry Potter fan for a minute as a kid. While I’ve been put off by the franchise and it’s fandom, gotta admit there’s potential in this at the least.

AJUMP23

Possibility to be good. I would give it a watch, even if it is just a redo of the books. Each season 1 book.

I'd actually be down with the books being redone again. One season per book. All the missing sub plots and nuances included.

Possibility to be good. I would give it a watch, even if it is just a redo of the books. Each season 1 book.

I want this purely for the second chance of a non shite Ginny Weasely.

One of the best characters in the books, yet the actress in the movie is a charisma black whole.

I mean imagine if they'd cast Karen Gillan in the role back then. So much wasted potential.

AJUMP23

I want this purely for the second chance of a non shite Ginny Weasely.

One of the best characters in the books, yet the actress in the movie is a charisma black whole.

I mean imagine if they'd cast Karen Gillan in the role back then. So much wasted potential.
I don't think that is the actress fault. She just wasn't given much to do. I thought she was good for what they wanted her do and they focused on the main 3 good guys and Snape for most of the movies.

I think where JK actually misses the mark in the story, is Harry thinking fondly of Snape. Snape treated Harry like crap and then in the end Harry "loved" him. Snape may have loved Harry's mom, and sacrificed himself but that doesn't take away 6 books of crap from him. That is the one part of the book that I just really shake my head at.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think that is the actress fault. She just wasn't given much to do. I thought she was good for what they wanted her do and they focused on the main 3 good guys and Snape for most of the movies.

I think where JK actually misses the mark in the story, is Harry thinking fondly of Snape. Snape treated Harry like crap and then in the end Harry "loved" him. Snape may have loved Harry's mom, and sacrificed himself but that doesn't take away 6 books of crap from him. That is the one part of the book that I just really shake my head at.

Really? Seems like seeing Snape's actions and discovering his true motivations at the end would be enough to change one's perspective on him. I found Harry's reaction quite believable.

Fbh

I guess it can't possibly be worse than the most recent fantastic beasts movie. So sure, why not.

Alcibiades

This is going to be worth 10x what putting blockbuster movies on there is worth. They need 10 more announcements like this though. Go full-on expanding the HP universe like Disney is going for Star Wars and Marvel.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is going to be worth 10x what putting blockbuster movies on there is worth. They need 10 more announcements like this though. Go full-on expanding the HP universe like Disney is going for Star Wars and Marvel.

shut it down 30 rock GIF

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Rama series
I Robot
Ringworld
the forever War
Foundation
Discworld series
Earthsea
Riftwar series

or comics

Thorgal series
one of Jean Giraud's comics
Regis Loisel's Peter Pan

there is so much
Isn't foundation getting a show? I robot has been done.

Furlong

Banned
Rama series
I Robot
Ringworld
the forever War
Foundation
Discworld series
Earthsea
Riftwar series

or comics

Thorgal series
one of Jean Giraud's comics
Regis Loisel's Peter Pan

there is so much
Robin Hobb's Realm of the Elderlings series, Peter F Hamilton's The Night's Dawn Trilogy (a space opera set in the far future about the souls of the 'dead' possessing the living that features memorable characters like Fletcher Christian fighting against Al Capone).

Saber

Gold Member
So whats this gonna be about? Harry Potter after or before the films ?

It would be interesting to see an earlier Hogwarts where we can see young Snape.

Yoboman

With the amount of stuff they needed to leave out of the books, a TV series probably works better

But the movies were good enough for what they were, there is no need to remake them.

There is no way they do a better job in casting for example

Astral Dog

wow HBO making a Harry Potter tv show fantastic news for fans and this might be even better than the movies! the current director sucks all the fun out of the world of Harry Potter.

nevermind fuck JK Rowling :messenger_angry:

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
With the amount of stuff they needed to leave out of the books, a TV series probably works better

But the movies were good enough for what they were, there is no need to remake them.

There is no way they do a better job in casting for example
Yeah, I loved the movies. I was surprised to hear that a lot of fans of the book hate it, I thought they did a good job. I was never even that in to Harry Potter but ended up really enjoying the films.

HBO does good stuff, so excited to see how this turns out. It'll at least be worth checking out.

Yoboman

Yeah, I loved the movies. I was surprised to hear that a lot of fans of the book hate it, I thought they did a good job. I was never even that in to Harry Potter but ended up really enjoying the films.

HBO does good stuff, so excited to see how this turns out. It'll at least be worth checking out.
Most fans love the casting and acting they just missed the mark in directing most of the time and were flimsy with the source material. In all the later films they essentially turned detective mystery stories into dull action or rom coms depending on which movie we are talking about

AJUMP23

Really? Seems like seeing Snape's actions and discovering his true motivations at the end would be enough to change one's perspective on him. I found Harry's reaction quite believable.
I don’t think if anyone gave someone a miserable time for years and then that person later found out they were secretly protecting them would name their kid after them. Could have just told me you were protecting me, didn’t need all the other crap.

Valedix

Gold Member
Hopefully a prequel like the game or set in another time past the events, don't see any other way this will work.

Top Bottom