• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Potter v Narnia: which do you prefer and what's your fave in each series?

Best series?

• Chronicles of Narnia

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Harry Potter Series

Votes: 37 80.4%

• Total voters

cormack12

Gold Member
Which is your favourite series. For me, I go with Narnia but obviously a massive gap from reading Narnia as a kid and Potter as an adult.

It also helps Narnia was able to be set across different times/era's I think. I know everyone immediately jumps to The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe but my favourites were the magicians nephew, probably followed by the horse and his boy. Then it would probably be voyage of the dawn treader or caspian.

I think Order of the Phoenix was my favourite Potter book followed by prisoners of Azkaban.

teezzy

Banned
91Y-3pRmWAL.jpg

I'm more of a Redwall guy tbh

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Not a fan of the author herself, but Harry Potter as a whole when it comes to the movies, the books, and the setting? It is right up there with any other fantasy setting since Lord of the rings as far as I'm concerned.

Narnia does not even register for me personally. I was never a fan to begin with and the movies didn't really do anything to help that. Whereas the Harry Potter movies at the very least did a bit of justice to the books even if they were relatively lackluster in the end. The core cast of the Harry Potter movies in particular though was basically a one in a million jackpot for the Harry Potter series. Each of the three carried their roles damn near perfectly outside of a few discrepancies. It's possibly one of the best core castings that I have seen in the last 20 years.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Out of the two, it has to be Harry Potter. The universe is just far more entertaining and interesting than Narnia. Rowling struck gold with that series.

Saber

Gold Member
Potter all the way. Chamber of Secrets.
Narnia is pretty bad...tried to watch the movie a feel times but couldn't stand.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Potter is a more fun read but goddamm does it totally fall apart upon reflection.

Narnia is less engaging but is actually literature.

Scotty W

Gold Member
Ask this question again in 70 years and no one will remember Harry Potter. I agree that the Narnia movies are unwatchable, but the books will live on.

TastyPastry

harry potter and my favourite book was prisoner of azkaban. fire goblet was fantastic too and i would say half blood pirnce is third place

Fbh

Read the first Narnia book as a kid and it just did nothing for me. Didn't dislike it but it also didn't make want to read the next book.
Read and enjoyed all the HP books.

So definitely HP. The movies are better too.

The fact it now also triggers the woke twitter crowd is just icing on the cake.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
narnia is trash.

love HP books but the movies could be better and i wouldn't mind a reboot of them in another 5-10 years or so.

Potter. I read Narnia too as a kid and can barely remember it. Goblet of Fire was my favorite book. I think Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite movie but it's been awhile since I've watched the movies - I don't think the movies are that great tbh, decent at best.

Mistake

Side by side, I’d have to go with Narnia. It’s like parallel world or alternate universe type of stuff, and I’m a sucker for it. Also feels bigger than Harry Potter overall. I liked HP until book five, and then it fell off for me.

Mondai

Gold Member
HP books were a more enjoyable read to me but they are kinda ruined for me now once you realize JK is a trash writer.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Ask this question again in 70 years and no one will remember Harry Potter. I agree that the Narnia movies are unwatchable, but the books will live on.
Are you fucking kidding me? Each new generation will grow up reading the books,
And watching the movies befire the enivitable remake. The books are a children's classic ffs just because they came out relatively recent makes them no less important

I've never read Harry Potter books only watched movies and those are superior to Narnia movies and BBC miniseries. I still love Narnia books they are part of my childhood. Best one would be Silver Chair.

All Harry Potter movies are good hard to choose which one.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Harry Potter was incredible to read in 5th grade. My only retained memory of reading Narnia is something about Turkish Delight.

Top Bottom