• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harvard Researchers identify aerosol that may cool Earth and repair ozone damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geist-

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2016/12/mitigating-the-risk-of-geoengineering/

One drastic idea is solar geoengineering — injecting light-reflecting sulfate aerosols into the stratosphere to cool the planet. Researchers know that large amounts of aerosols can significantly cool the planet; the effect has been observed after large volcanic eruptions. But these sulfate aerosols also carry significant risks. The biggest known risk is that they produce sulfuric acid in the stratosphere, which damages ozone. Since the ozone layer absorbs ultraviolet light from the sun, its depletion can lead to increased rates of skin cancer, eye damage, and other adverse consequences.

Now, researchers from the Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) have identified an aerosol for solar geoengineering that may be able to cool the planet while simultaneously repairing ozone damage.

In order to keep aerosols from harming the ozone, the particles would need to neutralize sulfuric, nitric, and hydrochloric acid on their surface. To find such a particle, Keutsch turned to his handy periodic table. After eliminating the toxic elements, the finicky and rare metals, the team was left with the alkali and alkaline Earth metals, which included sodium and calcium carbonate.

“Essentially, we ended up with an antacid for the stratosphere,” said Keutsch.

Through extensive modeling of stratospheric chemistry, the team found that calcite, a constituent of limestone, could counter ozone loss by neutralizing emissions-borne acids in the atmosphere, while also reflecting light and cooling the planet.

“Calcite is one of the most common compounds found in the Earth’s crust,” said Keith. ”The amounts that would be used in a solar geoengineering application are small compared to what’s found in surface dust.”

The researchers have already begun testing calcite in lab experiments that mimic stratospheric conditions. Keith and Keutsch caution that introducing anything into the atmosphere may have unanticipated consequences.

“Stratospheric chemistry is complicated and we don’t understand everything about it,” Keith said. “There are ways that this approach could increase global ozone but at the same time, because of the climate dynamics in the polar regions, increase the ozone hole.”

The researchers emphasize that even if all the attendant risks could be reduced to acceptable levels, solar geoengineering is not a solution to climate change.

“Geoengineering is like taking painkillers,” said Keutsch. “When things are really bad, painkillers can help but they don’t address the cause of a disease and they may cause more harm than good. We really don’t know the effects of geoengineering, but that is why we’re doing this research.”
GXIPDuM.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So this is it! Climate Change/Global Warming averted thanks to aerosol! Trump Preisdency truly a turning point.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Pretty neat. Fantastic research.
I look forward to the giant satellite hairspray bottle that will save humanity.

Derwind

The biggest known risk is that they produce sulfuric acid in the stratosphere, which damages ozone. Since the ozone layer absorbs ultraviolet light from the sun, its depletion can lead to increased rates of skin cancer, eye damage, and other adverse consequences.

Not going to lie, that's a pretty big risk on its own. Crazy to think we are letting things get this far.

Geist-

Not going to lie, that's a pretty big risk on its own. Crazy to think we are letting things get this far.

That was the reason we haven't been using sulfate aerosols. The article is about using calcite aerosols instead since they also reflect light and neutralize ozone harming acids like sulfuric acid.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I read the whole article. Planning to mitigating the risk doesn't make the risk go away.

When the mitigation changes "damage ozone" to "repair ozone" it not only mitigates the risk but actually improves on current risks.

Sure there will be some downsides. But the ones related to ozone depletion (the ones you quoted) are not the downsides to the refined chemical.

Derwind

When the mitigation changes "damage ozone" to "repair ozone" it not only mitigates the risk but actually improves on current risks.

Sure there will be some downsides. But the ones related to ozone depletion (the ones you quoted) are not the downsides to the refined chemical.

You're right, sorry for the confusion.

Not

Banned
Hmmm, jumping right to Snowpiercer, huh. I guess Day After Tomorrow was technically directly caused by climate change, not a result of mankind trying to reverse it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

How exactly are you going to mass produce this on a planetary scale to not only reverse the damage being done but also the massive amount of CO2 being pumped into the atmosphere. Let alone where are you going to get the energy for this?

TaterTots

Banned
That's neat. This would have to go through the FDA, right? If so, we aren't seeing this for 100 years. With the amount I poop I'd truly make a difference.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
How exactly are you going to mass produce this on a planetary scale to not only reverse the damage being done but also the massive amount of CO2 being pumped into the atmosphere. Let alone where are you going to get the energy for this?

I'm not going to do any of that.
Other, more capable, minds will figure that one out.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Bruh the fact it's common has nothing to do with how your going to mass produce and most importantly disperse the stuff. Not only in sufficient quantities to reverse the already done but the one that"s currently going on.

Think it through.

It's always seemed obvious to me that we're going to need to take measures to directly mitigate the effects of climate change even as we work on solving the root causes. Waiting for the Earth to slowly rebalance itself over a period of decades or centuries is going to leave far too many people all around the world up shit creek without a paddle.

I like that the possibility is being explored for a short term fix, but am frightened at the potential for unforeseen consequences:

IqatzQ8.jpg

To be honest, I've been putting far more of my hopes into scientific breakthroughs than political action for fighting climate change.

I have far more faith in the minds of scientists than the minds of politicians and the masses. Not that I'm exactly holding out for some miracle global warming cure.

612011.gif

Protome

What if they make the Ozone too good though?

Bruh the fact it's common has nothing to do with how your to mass produce and most importantly disperse the stuff.

Think it through.

It'd presumably require global leaders to agree to invest a certain amount in producing/dispersing it based on how much they contribute to creation of greenhouse gases. Something like the Paris Agreement.

Steel

Banned

It'd presumably require global leaders to agree to invest a certain amount in producing/dispersing it based on how much they contribute to creation of greenhouse gases. Something like the Paris Agreement.

You're missing the poster's point. Manfacturing this stuff will take a large amount of energy, that energy will likely come from fossil fuels.

Geist-

Bruh the fact it's common has nothing to do with how your to mass produce and most importantly disperse the stuff. Not only in sufficient quantities to reverse the already done but the one that"s currently going on.

Think it through.

Lol, you're making it out to be more impossible than it is. Limestone quarries are plentiful and planes have been able to release aerosols in the sky for decades, even if this is on an entirely new level of scale.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

And how did the Paris agreement end up? this is no easy fix. The same problems remain. CO2 emissions must be broufg otherwise there's a reasonable chance your bringing a garden sprinkler to a forest fire.

To be honest, I've been putting far more of my hopes into scientific breakthroughs than political action for fighting climate change.

I have far more faith in the minds of scientists than the minds of politicians and the masses. Not that I'm exactly holding out for some miracle global warming cure.

612011.gif
more like
M581REn.png

It's always seemed obvious to me that we're going to need to take measures to directly mitigate the effects of climate change even as we work on solving the root causes. Waiting for the Earth to slowly rebalance itself over a period of decades or centuries is going to leave far too many people all around the world up shit creek without a paddle.

*millennia or ages

RedStep

I, for one, welcome our upcoming Ice Age. I love snowboarding but going to the mountain is just so far. I like the idea of the mountain coming to me.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Lol, you're making it out to be more impossible than it is. Limestone quarries are plentiful and planes have been able to release aerosols in the sky for decades, even if this is on an entirely new level of scale.
Yes and how did we do that? You think that energy is free.
This thing is made and broken by the logistics and getting the world to work together. If those things were so easy we wouldn't be having problems with climate change in the first place.

612011.gif

We either reduce Greenhouse gases or find carbon capture tech but both will require the same amount of political action (and one is still unproven).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom