• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anyone else pre-ordered Best Buy's Exclusive SteelBook Set for The Lord of the Rings Trilogy?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I had dodged The Lord of the Rings Trilogy for years because I wasn't into medieval fantasy (e.g. kings and castles, wizards, dragons, etc). However, my interest in science fiction led me into medieval fantasy; Blade, which depicts vampirism in a scientifically fictional manner, led me to Underworld, which also depicts vampirism in a scientifically fictional manner but includes medieval elements (e.g. kings and castles), which - in turn - led me to Dracula Untold, which depicts vampirism in a purely fantastical manner and in a medieval setting. I subsequently became eager to see more fantasy that features medieval elements and decided to try The Lord of the Rings since it was so highly regarded (and still is); I ordered the Blu-ray trilogy boxset, binged it in a day, and wound up loving it. So, now that it's available on 4K-UHD Blu-ray Disc, I'm all in! I've ordered a copy of Best Buy's exclusive SteelBook set for the trilogy, which you can order here.

____________________​

EDIT:

I picked up the SteelBook set from Best Buy a couple of hours ago and am sampling The Fellowship of the Ring.

It looks terrific; the picture is sharp and detailed, and the colors are bold but not oversaturated.

Despite being shot on film, there's no perceptible film grain, which doesn't appear to be due to the use of digital noise reduction. The picture simply appears to be naturally smooth.

This is a great remaster of a classic movie. I'm sure that The Two Towers and The Return of the King look just as great.

ABCTBE7.jpg

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'd be down for that, but I'm gonna wait for reviews to make sure it is a perfect transfer. I also don't have a 4k player yet, though I do have the TV for it.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I'd be down for that, but I'm gonna wait for reviews to make sure it is a perfect transfer. I also don't have a 4k player yet, though I do have the TV for it.

Best Buy SteelBooks are limited editions. So, stock runs out shortly after release, especially for a popular title such as The Lord of the Rings.

Kayoba

No, that edition isn't available where I live and BestBuy don't ship to my country last time I checked.

I did preorder the standard 4K edition though, so I am looking forward to that.

Spaceman292

Banned
I had dodged The Lord of the Rings Trilogy for years because I wasn't into medieval fantasy (e.g. kings and castles, wizards, dragons, etc). However, my interest in science fiction led me into medieval fantasy; Blade, which depicts vampirism in a scientifically fictional manner, led me to Underworld, which also depicts vampirism in a scientifically fictional manner but includes medieval elements (e.g. kings and castles), which - in turn - led me to Dracula Untold, which depicts vampirism in a purely fantastical manner and in a medieval setting. I subsequently became eager to see more fantasy that features medieval elements and decided to try The Lord of the Rings since it was so highly regarded (and still is); I ordered the Blu-ray trilogy boxset, binged it in a day, and wound up loving it. So, now that it's available on 4K-UHD Blu-ray Disc, I'm all in! I've ordered a copy of Best Buy's exclusive SteelBook set for the trilogy, which you can order here.
Wait. So you watched Blade, Underworld and Dracula Untold and THOSE pieces of shit sold you on fantasy movies? That's very strange, but if your bar is that low then LOTR is going to blow your mind.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Wait. So you watched Blade, Underworld and Dracula Untold and THOSE pieces of shit sold you on fantasy movies? That's very strange, but if your bar is that low then LOTR is going to blow your mind.

1. No need to be insulting.

2. You didn't comprehend what I wrote. I have already seen The Lord of the Rings Trilogy; I have the 1080p Blu-ray trilogy box set. What I'm looking forward to is seeing the trilogy in 4K.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I already own the DVD, and the BluRay box set, so yes, 4k LOTR is always a buy.

BigBooper

Hmm, not a fan of that Steelbook art. Big fan of the movies and books though. I wouldn't go in expecting anything like those other movies you mentioned. All three of these are fairly slow paced epic adventures. Good on ya.

GloveSlap

Not sure if hed like it or not. I'm too biased 😅
As a fellow Buffy diehard, you should watch Supernatural seasons 1-5 if you haven't already. It borrows a lot from Buffy with regards to season structure and the blend of humor/action/drama. Its by far the best show in that style since Buffy/Angel IMO.

On topic...I don't care about steelbooks, but i'm definitely getting LOTR on 4k as long as the transfers deliver. Hopefully they fix the green tint on Fellowship. The Hobbit 4ks on the other hand......pass.

Mr Hyde

Going for the standard edition. Very excited to revisit LotR in 4K. Haven't watched these movies in over 10 years. Love all three of them. I'm thinking of getting the Hobbit trilogy too, even if they can't match the superior quality of the OG Lord of the Rings. These movies are gonna be a real showcase on my setup.

teezzy

Banned
As a fellow Buffy diehard, you should watch Supernatural seasons 1-5 if you haven't already. It borrows a lot from Buffy with regards to season structure and the blend of humor/action/drama. Its by far the best show in that style since Buffy/Angel IMO.

Yknow I always hear that about Supernatural, but I always end up just watching Buffy again instead. I love the characters and the late 90s/early 2000s vibes of it all; they're like old friends at this point. It's my media comfort food

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Most have seen these movies x amount of times, I saw them once at that was that lol

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I picked up the SteelBook set from Best Buy a couple of hours ago and am sampling The Fellowship of the Ring.

It looks terrific; the picture is sharp and detailed, and the colors are bold but not oversaturated.

Despite being shot on film, there's no perceptible film grain, which doesn't appear to be due to the use of digital noise reduction. The picture simply appears to be naturally smooth.

This is a great remaster of a classic movie. I'm sure that The Two Towers and The Return of the King look just as great.

ABCTBE7.jpg

BluRayHiDef

Banned
got mine today, it matches perfectly next to the game of thrones ones. Now to sell the digital code

Have you sampled any of the discs? What do you think about the picture quality? Also, you don't make use of digital copies while away from home?

dorkimoe

BigStef71

Neo Member
I preordered mine and thankfully I did because both sets are sold out. I curbside picked up both this morning as well as the Chernobyl set in 4k and they're in pristine condition 😊

Top Bottom