• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anyone heard of Denniz Pop?

SantaC

I just finished watching a documentary of this guy and wanted to make a thread about him since I guess most americans never heard of him.

Dag Volle was a swedish DJ, who later called himself Denniz Pop. He had a short but an amazing career in the 90s, apparently he had an amazing gift for catchy hooks and beats that you just cant learn. He was a basement mixer who went to a superstar producer.

In the start of the 90s, Denniz produced just local Swedish artists, but his big breakthrough came with Ace of Base, and after that, American artists started to be aware of him. He worked with backstreet boys, but also in the documentary he had a 15 year old Justin Timberlake singing for him and he was also involved in Britney Spears first hit. Rumors spread and foreign artists started to lineup to visit him at Cherion.

In 1997 Denniz started having problems eating, but he ignored it and just wanted to spend time in his studio. In 1998 doctors discovered a big tumor in his stomach and he died just a few months after that. He passed at only 35 years old while he was at the peak of his music writing. This is what he produced:

1990: Dr Alban, Hello Africa
1990: Dr Alban, No Coke
1992: Dr Alban, It’s My Life
1992: Dr Alban, Sing Hallelujah
1993: Ace of Base, All That She Wants
1993: Ace of Base, The Sign
1994: E-Type, Set the World on Fire
1994: E-Type, This is the Way
1995: Leila K, Electric
1996: Backstreet Boys, Quit Playing Games (With my Heart)
1997: Backstreet Boys, As Long as You Love Me
1997: Backstreet Boys, Everybody (Backstreet’s Back)
1997: Robyn, Show Me Love
1997: Robyn, Do You Know (What It Takes)
1998: NSYNC, Nsync
1998: NSYNC, Tearing Up My Heart
1998: 5ive, Slam Dunk the Funk
1998: 5ive, Everybody Get Up
1998: Britney Spears, Baby One More Time

I'd say that is an impressive resume during an 8 year span. His songs certainly got millions of views on youtube today.

eot

Banned
Sure I know him, but his protege Max Martin arguably had more impact. He wrote "Baby One More Time". He also wrote "I Kissed a Girl", "Shake it Off" and well, shitloads of other songs.

SantaC

Sure I know him, but his protege Max Martin arguably had more impact. He wrote "Baby One More Time". He also wrote "I Kissed a Girl", "Shake it Off" and well, shitloads of other songs.
Except that denniz was mentoring martin for years. Without him there would be no succes.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I don't think he did the Britney Spears thing. I looked it up because I think it is a much better production than the rest of the list and it kinda stood out for me.

When six songs were ready, Spears flew to Cheiron Studios in Stockholm, Sweden, where half of the album was recorded in May 1998,[1] nominally produced by Martin, Pop and Yacoub.[5][7][8] Pop, however, was too ill to attend any of the recording sessions, and Spears never met him. In his place, Martin was the acting producer.[9]

Edit: sorry I came in hot here :D I see it is already being discussed.

Edit2: ...and I fucking necro'd this... damn the suggested topics at the bottom of the page!!! DAMN THEM!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom